Nightmare in Pattaya

Yann55

Ive driven in many parts of the world. And have had to adapt to the different "styles" of driving wherever i have been. What is an acceptable manouver or gesture is ok in one country but in another could get you shot.

I would like to see some of these Thais drive in an Arab country. If they pulled out expecting the Arab to brake and give way as they do here, The Arab would simply ram them off the road in his Land Cruiser.

What happend to the OP is wrong and extreme.

It happens all over the world, its not just Thailand.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by MonkeyLoo
  • Like 1

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This topic may help some others avoid repeating what happened to you.

Yep, that's the spirit.

Thank for your kind comment, Sir. Makes up for a few unkind ones, inevitable on a forum I guess... rolleyes.gif

Op claims he was 56 at that time so he's 58 today. I am sure he looks just like any regular person at that age which would be you know that of an aging person and if he did not exercise, workout when he was younger would have some type of belly, look frail. So i am sure he would look like a typical senior citizen and the driver that attacked him obviously wouldn't be intimidated by him but more likely op would be the one that was intimidated so i think that could be one of the reasons why he decided to pursue op cos he was easy prey. Someone he could manhandle easily. I am surprised the thai couple didn't come to op's aid because senior citizens are respected in thailand but i think they did not do it because the man pursuing op spoke to them in thai and him being someone with some status as indicated by op meant that it was better that the thai couple side with op's assailant. Win win situation for them because if they aided op they would need to cross op's assailant which wouldn't do them any good and op isn't even thai so that works out even worse for him and it would not be in their favor to side him.

56 is a 'frail senior citizen' in your world ? Not sure how hard their lives have been, but I would associate that image with someone well into their 70s - in some cases, even those guys still have their act together physically. I dont pretend to be Chuck Norris, but at 55 I'd like to think I wont disintegrate completely over the coming 10 months. Bruce Willis is 59, has reportedly battled drink and drugs yet somehow seems to have gotten his act together - I'm sure having money hasnt hurt his prospects, but it didnt help Steve Jobs. We take the cards we are dealt, but there is no way a man in his mid-fifties is a 'frail senior citizen' unless he has spent a good portion of the preceding 30 years hammering himself or succumbed to a particularly nasty illness.

40492_pro.jpg

Of course, if this is the way one elects to spend one's 'youth', 56 could be a very big ask:

David_Threlfall_1243914c.jpg

But Frank in real life aint the same

I must say....

I'm a Farang and I have an SUV and I have had old Farang Motorcycle riders dangerously riding in front of me, then turning round giving me a glare....!!!

I'm all over them from that instant, I want to pull them over and drum into them that if you bring a motorcycle to a fight with a Fortuner, you're gonna lose, and , you never challenge people on the road, it's dangerous, a friendly burn up , ok, but aggression, especially when you are the wrong side of 60 is not a good idea.

Old Farangs should be banned from driving in Thailand.

too stupid for words, Aggression is glaring lol, you have a lot to learn. if you were all over me in an instance i would react the same way, with aggression. Some motorbikes have enough room under the seat to carry great protection against YOUNG bullys like you.

All kids should be banned from driving suv until they control their hormones

• Like 1

The Thai little big man. All his life he's been led to believe he's God's gift to the world. He's never criticised from the day he is born, just fawned over with excessive admiration and made to feel he's the perfect human being who can do no wrong. He's never truly disciplined, and so grows up thinking he can do whatever he likes. This is where the road rage comes from. Implied, or real, criticism of his actions, even if justified, is not acceptable to him.

WHAT??????????????????????????????????cheesy.gif

The Thai little big man. All his life he's been led to believe he's God's gift to the world. He's never criticised from the day he is born, just fawned over with excessive admiration and made to feel he's the perfect human being who can do no wrong. He's never truly disciplined, and so grows up thinking he can do whatever he likes. This is where the road rage comes from. Implied, or real, criticism of his actions, even if justified, is not acceptable to him.

I believe its referred to as "Little Emperor Syndrome"

To witness it first hand take a trip up to Issan and see the boys being raised by their grandparents.

Heck you can even witness it in Bkk, spoiled brats, raised by a doting grandmother who wont discipline the kid.

To witness it first hand take a trip up to Issan and see the boys being raised by their grandparents.

Heck you can even witness it in Bkk, spoiled brats, raised by a doting grandmother who wont discipline the kid.

i HAVE SEEN KIDS BEING HIT WITH A VERY SMALL STICK IN iSSAN.Good and bad everywhere,and many mum,s and dad,s look after their sons and daughters in Issan too,so dont generalise mate.As far as Bangkok, the quicker i get out of that polluted jungle, the better

That is one side of the story.......

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Right, lol ... Silly me, I should have asked the guy to give me his card so I could call him later, and we could get together for tea and biscuits and reminisce ... then I could ask him to write down his side of the story on Thai Visa Forum so as to make sure that my friend 'Sealbash' has the Truth with a big T...

I do have a fair idea of what 'his side of the story' sounds like though... how about : 'this farang a**hole provoked me on the road so I taught him a good lesson' ?... I'll bet he gloated about it for a long time afterwards.

I never said that I made no mistake, did I ?

1/ I made a mistake going out on the road without looking, something i never do but that day I did it, and I don't know why. Don't we all do stupid things sometimes?

2/ I made a mistake giving him the evil eye for having almost run me over and deliberately scared the hell out of me. Should I have thanked him for it ? Some replies suggested I should have made a wai... sure... would these wise counsellers have made a wai themselves in the very same situation ? Allow me to doubt it.

I re-state one point in case it wasn't clear : the way i went out of the condo did not force him to swerve, it just startled him (obviously) and then he did swerve but towards me, and with the obvious intent of scaring me.

This whole episode is about the extraordinary disproportion which can sometimes occur between action and reaction, that's all. Perhaps our minds have a hard time accepting that a minor offense can trigger such a fit of hate and violence ? After 2 years, it's the one point that still bugs me.

Edited by Yann55

Going back 4 or 5 years years a lot of middle aged Thais were taking roids. I battered quite a few of them. Absolute psychos. You could see they were on roids because there was no fat between the skin and muscle. They've stopped now, don't know why? Haven't had any road rage incidents for years.

It is safe to re-enter the waters!

Had one 2 days ago, for no reason guy comes right up behind me then undertakes where the motorbikes go pulls in between me and the car in front then repeats on the guy in front, then he stops on the hard shoulder bit and does it all again, then stops on the hard shoulder comes up behind me flashing lights and then tries to undertake again on the hard shoulder but I block him as Im tired of his crap, then we get him driving up my arse and lights flashing to which I stand on the brakes, he skids and then carries on trying to do the same.

Its the point now where i am going to ram him off the road as he is totally nuts, he comes up the inside again then stops and does a u turn???????? go figure??

Sounds like roids if they are on meth they are not interested in you personally. One guy I apologized to profusely even though I hadn't done anything wrong, just to stop wasting time, but he just kept raging. So I knocked him out cold in the middle of the Expressway.

Hey Stud, you do realize there is a difference between Grand Theft Auto on your XBOX and real life right?

Plank.

Going back 4 or 5 years years a lot of middle aged Thais were taking roids. I battered quite a few of them. Absolute psychos. You could see they were on roids because there was no fat between the skin and muscle. They've stopped now, don't know why? Haven't had any road rage incidents for years.

It is safe to re-enter the waters!

Well yah bah, and amphetamines are doing the the same...

I drive an SUV with an ARB bumper and feel safe in it. Some prefer the scooters/motor bikes but I would have to say that driving in Thailand the last 5 years the absolutely WORST motorbike riders I have watched have mostly been farang. Some very uncertain in their actions, habits, and skills, really really shakey - others think they belong in the fast lane and will not budge doing 20-30K slower than traffic because they are farang and it's "their right" to be there.

I have owned/ridden everything from Harley's to Hondas and Ducati's and I will not get on a bike here. The concrete remains undefeated.......

There was a time that I pulled out on our main road here and inadvertantly pulled in front of a Ford pickup that must have been flying because it was not there when I cleared visually. He pulled immediately to the shoulder of the road and followed us after we drove by ..... I had to get diesel so stopped at the next station to tank up. The pickup pulled in astride us about 30 feet away. I was out of the car and didn't really think that much about it (I'm 6'4"/245# and still active in sports and look it - but 66 years old).....no one jumped out of the truck to come after me and I'm glad they didn't - I would have had a different reaction than my wife - she saw what might take place and got out of the car and wai'd them - the truck then started up and drove off....she had a different perspective on how to handle it and difused what might have been ugly.......

Sometimes the simple respect of a wai might be an answer - and not as hard to pack as a crossbow......

When I lived in the sticks some locals advised to alway have a machette in the vehicle - as apparently they did this too...I do carry a large collapsible baton in the car when on long trips - most of the time I forget I even have it.....

I wonder why the need to mention your height/weight. Are you a tough guy? You are glad it didn't happen because you would have been beaten up badly? Should have been you were upset your wife came up to wai them cos if not they would have come up to confront you and you would have taught them a lesson and there would be one less road bully.

Girls don't get raised like that?

I believe the gender equality isn't that much of a problem compared to say china or india right? It's the opposite in sweden where the females are treated better than the males.

Op claims he was 56 at that time so he's 58 today. I am sure he looks just like any regular person at that age which would be you know that of an aging person and if he did not exercise, workout when he was younger would have some type of belly, look frail. So i am sure he would look like a typical senior citizen and the driver that attacked him obviously wouldn't be intimidated by him but more likely op would be the one that was intimidated so i think that could be one of the reasons why he decided to pursue op cos he was easy prey. Someone he could manhandle easily. I am surprised the thai couple didn't come to op's aid because senior citizens are respected in thailand but i think they did not do it because the man pursuing op spoke to them in thai and him being someone with some status as indicated by op meant that it was better that the thai couple side with op's assailant. Win win situation for them because if they aided op they would need to cross op's assailant which wouldn't do them any good and op isn't even thai so that works out even worse for him and it would not be in their favor to side him.

56 is a 'frail senior citizen' in your world ? Not sure how hard their lives have been, but I would associate that image with someone well into their 70s - in some cases, even those guys still have their act together physically. I dont pretend to be Chuck Norris, but at 55 I'd like to think I wont disintegrate completely over the coming 10 months. Bruce Willis is 59, has reportedly battled drink and drugs yet somehow seems to have gotten his act together - I'm sure having money hasnt hurt his prospects, but it didnt help Steve Jobs. We take the cards we are dealt, but there is no way a man in his mid-fifties is a 'frail senior citizen' unless he has spent a good portion of the preceding 30 years hammering himself or succumbed to a particularly nasty illness.

40492_pro.jpg

Of course, if this is the way one elects to spend one's 'youth', 56 could be a very big ask:

David_Threlfall_1243914c.jpg

You cannot choose someone like bruce. He's a hollywood actor so image is big to him and of course he can hire people to take care of his health not to mention he's played a number of tough guy roles in movies and he's considered one of the tough guys like stallone, arnold. He doesn't represent the average 50+ yr old man in america cos from what i understand there are many overweight/ out of shape people in the US but then again he clearly doesn't represent the average farang senior citizen in thailand.