Visa trip to Vientiane.Best way to get from the border to Udon Thani Airport?

You can get a bus to Udon from Vientiane direct to Udon and then a tuk tuk or taxi from the bus station to the airport is an option.

You can get a van from the Nong Kai side of the bridge to Udon.,

You can get a bus to Udon from Vientiane direct to Udon and then a tuk tuk or taxi from the bus station to the airport is an option.

You can get a van from the Nong Kai side of the bridge to Udon.,

ubonjoe,i need to get to Udon Thani airport by 5pm as my flight is at 6pm

There is usually a mini bus hanging around at the border that costs 200 baht person but if you miss that you will find a taxi hanging around I think I paid 150 or 200 baht sharing with two other blokes.

You'll make it back to the airport with lots of time to spare I've done that trip a few times now and have always arrived to the airport around 4ish.

• Like 1

I just did this trip last week. Udon to Nong Khai, there are vans waiting outside the baggage claim and take you all the way to the border for 200 baht. They usually fill and leave right away since they are timed with the arrival of flights.

Nong Khai to Udon -- there were no vans waiting and a taxi wanted 800 baht. Instead, I took a taxi to a nearby travel agency that has vans going every 30 mins to an hour. 150 baht. The phone number is 042 411530. I am attaching a map with the agency name.

I collected my visa at 1:30 and was at the airport by 4:00.

post-150907-0-80489800-1403053516_thumb.

+1 to cpbkk with some edits. This agency is called Udon Keaw Tour, the same limousine company that takes you from Udonthani airport to Friendship bridge.

When you enter Thailand, ignore the first wave of large song-teaw and taxi drivers and keep moving forward to the beginning of the main road. You'll see small motorbike tuk-tuks and drivers. Tell them "Udon Keaw Tour" and they'll happily deliver you to the office (40 THB). Important: see the schedule before you go, the bus leaves at 3PM and 4PM, after that at 5:30PM.

Good luck.

+1 to cpbkk with some edits. This agency is called Udon Keaw Tour, the same limousine company that takes you from Udonthani airport to Friendship bridge.

When you enter Thailand, ignore the first wave of large song-teaw and taxi drivers and keep moving forward to the beginning of the main road. You'll see small motorbike tuk-tuks and drivers. Tell them "Udon Keaw Tour" and they'll happily deliver you to the office (40 THB). Important: see the schedule before you go, the bus leaves at 3PM and 4PM, after that at 5:30PM.

Good luck.

+1 to cpbkk and DanielGoldFish for their pretty accurate information.

You can check the minibus schedule from the Udon Keaw Tour website : http://www.udonkaewtour.com/index.php?mo=3&art=514219

The times on the right are the minivan departures from the Nong Khai office - the respective flight on the left is the potential flight you can reach with this departure.

I have a hunch that Udon Keaw will also run the van via the bridge if you let them know in advance? The contact numbers are on the web site, better call them and ask...

• Like 1

taxi 500 baht one hour to the airport. Do NOT pay more.

That is the quickest..but most expensive. The bus is way cheaper. I have a car, but used to take a tuk tuk to the main highway intersection and catch a bus for 50 baht. Tuk tuk is 50. But then you need a taxi to the airport in udon from the bus station anyways. Total..300. and takes a long time.

In your case...just hire the taxi and be firm about the price....tell him you will tip him a bit more if he arrives on time safely.

Edited by slipperylobster

Easiest, with little outlay, is the mini bus from the airport. They also return at specific times, or you can take a baht bus to their office in Nong Khai.

If you're happy to pay the extra, ask for one just for you. Will also take you across the bridge.

• Like 1

There is usually a mini bus hanging around at the border that costs 200 baht person but if you miss that you will find a taxi hanging around I think I paid 150 or 200 baht sharing with two other blokes.

You'll make it back to the airport with lots of time to spare I've done that trip a few times now and have always arrived to the airport around 4ish.

this van is hanging around after you pass Lao immigration, so it is still on the Lao sie of the bridge. At the place where you would board the bus crossing the bridge.

taxi 500 baht one hour to the airport. Do NOT pay more.

I found 500b to the airport from the border to be unavailable. The 3-4 taxis I spoke to all wanted 1000-1200, and the larger ones had the option to refuse lower fares because they proposed to get 5-6 people in, each paying 350-300.

Once I crossed out of Lao, still on the Lao side of the bridge, I was asked for 300 per person to go to Udon airport. I got them to do it for 250, but 200 was refused. I had to wait 15 minutes for them to fill the SUV with 5 people before they left.

Maybe a small car will still take people to Udon for 500, but I didn't see it. So I just paid 250 each and ended the search for a 500b private taxi

The advantage of having a car/taxi, whether shared or not, if you get it on the Lao side is you can avoid the long lines of Thai immigration entering that those on the bus have to wait through. The car/taxi lanes in the center of the road were much faster. We were asked to pay an additional 20 baht fee, which was well worth it. I waited behind about 10 people. A peek in to the building on the side of the road showed people waiting in lines of 40-60 people. Was glad to be able to avoid it.

• 6 months later...

Hello hope someone can help.

I intend to take Air Asia flight back to Phuket from Udon Thani airport which will depart at 16:50 after visa collection. If i take a taxi from outside the Thai Consular that goes to Udon Thani Airport, will I make it in time for the flight? And are there Taxis in front of the Consulate?

Thanks

I don't think you will find a taxi outside the consulate that will take you to the airport in Udon.

You can get one to the bridge, take the shuttle bus across and then find one to take you to the airport. From the bridge it will take about 45 minutes to get to the airport.

You should have enough time to make your flight. Just be sure you are at the consular section before the 1:30 pickup time so you don't have to wait in a long line.