Disaster experts stomp on Phuket tsunami prediction

webfact

Disaster experts stomp on Phuket tsunami prediction
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1403006879_1-org.jpg
Chat show host Vuthithorn 'Woody' Milintachinda (left) with fortune teller Pai Nawaracha Phinitpokakon, from her Facebook page.

PHUKET: -- The National Disaster Warning Centre (NDWC) has moved to quash a rumour, spreading rapidly through social media, that Phuket and other parts of the south will be hit by a tsunami “in two or three days”.

The rumour appears to have been sparked by the earthquake in Chiang Rai on May 14 and then news of a 6.3 Richter quake off Indonesia last Friday (June 13).

It gained real momentum, however, after an interview on the TV talk show Woody Woke Up To Talk on Sunday (June 15), in which the host interviewed a fortune teller, Nawaracha 'Pia' Phinitpokakon.

Miss Pai gained some fame by supposedly predicting the sinking of the South Korean ferry Sewol in May with the loss of some 300 lives.

Sounding initially rather like a weather announcer, she warned that people should not go near the shore or beaches between June 15-17 and June or July 20-25, when there would be heavy weather.

But then she added that “water disasters” would happen twice, once near Indonesia, “where there is a volcano”, and the second time along the Andaman coast of Thailand, with Phuket, Phang Nga and Krabi being inundated.

Finally she mentioned the T word: “The main reason will be a new fault in the Gulf of Thailand. This will cause a bigger tsunami [than in 2004].” Peninsular Thailand will actually disappear, she said, though without saying whether this would be next week or 2,000 years from now.

The NDWC announced, “It appears that the rumours have been driven by the recent bad weather that has brought waves that have damaged people’s homes in many provinces in the south of Thailand, the worst damage being in Takuapa district in Phang Nga province.

“The NDWC wants to stress that this has nothing to do with tsunamis. It is the result of the annual Southwest Monsoon, which affects the six province on west coast [Phuket, Phang Nga, Krabi, Trang, Satun and Ranong].”

Acting Sub Lt Trakun Tortham, Director of the Department of Disaster Preservation and Mitigation in Phuket, told The Phuket News, “Don’t believe everything you hear. I know that the recent earthquake in Chiang Rai caused some people to worry about a repetition of the Asian Tsunami of 2004.

“We are ready to deal with [a tsunami] situation. My officers and I check more than 10 disaster warning towers every month, and we know which towers have low batteries. We can check and change any of them any time.”

Although it is extremely unlikely that a tsunami will arrive on the predicted dates, ASL Trakun said that everyone should be aware of their local evacuation route.

“The tsunami evacuation route signs are very important. Even though the signs were set up 10 years ago, they can still point people to the right way to escape.

“But some of the signs are used for target practice, and many have simply disappeared. These are important signs, so if you notice that one near you has disappeared or been obliterated, contact us and my officers will fix it.

“If an earthquake happens, just go to a higher area and stay until you get the all-clear. Do not drive up there because you risk being caught in a traffic jam.

“The weak point of the system is if people rush to take action unthinkingly and do not listen to officials. I recommend that people get the right information first from the government, by radio or TV. Then they can decide logically what they should do.

“Right now my main concern is not the possibility of a tsunami, but the danger of landslides, which people should be aware of until June 18.

“The other thing is the high waves that make it unsafe to swim at some beaches.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/disaster-experts-stomp-on-phuket-tsunami-prediction-46907.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-06-18

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In a country where fairytales & science are one and the same are we really surprised?????

NO birth on weds, shave a babies head, call a baby ugly, which bowl of water will the buffalo drink from?? and on it goes, if this is light hearted fun, such as the football predicting octopus then fine, the problem is here people cannot seperate the two!

• Like 2

“But some of the signs are used for target practice, and many have simply disappeared. These are important signs, so if you notice that one near you has disappeared or been obliterated, contact us and my officers will fix it.

"and many simply have disappeared"

so they know about the damaged signs and the ones that disappeared, doesnt sound like they have fixed or replaced them

• Like 2

just another parasite exploiting Thai mentality/culture...and the talk show host giving credence to her...(same thing in other countries)

of course this will all stop when people start thinking for themselves, no forget it - too much work!

• Like 1

interviewed a fortune teller

Some things the Thais believe are quite remarkable...

I guess a "fortune teller" can probably predict the weather as well as most meteorologist...

But earthquakes and tsunamis...I don't think so...

Edited by ggt

I wonder how she failed to predict that she would look like to total <deleted> from this prediction.

I'm trying to work out which word needed to be deleted in this sentence, in order to make it work, and why it had to be deleted. I can't. It would be a good idea spending more time trying to write a sentence that makes sense, and less time indicating that there might or should have been profanity there.

• Like 1

I wonder how she failed to predict that she would look like to total <deleted> from this prediction.

I'm trying to work out which word needed to be deleted in this sentence, in order to make it work, and why it had to be deleted. I can't. It would be a good idea spending more time trying to write a sentence that makes sense, and less time indicating that there might or should have been profanity there.

The Thaivisa software does the "delete" automatically. It's not the choice of the poster.

Maybe members must become creative to get around this software feature. Eg. "kcuf you" - which is a word the software would automatically "delete" spelt backwards. smile.png

Edited by NamKangMan

The Thaivisa software does the "delete" automatically. It's not the choice of the poster.

Maybe members must become creative to get around this software feature. Eg. "kcuf you" - which is a word the software would automatically "delete" spelt backwards. smile.png

Thanks, that explains it. I didn't know that. I'm not really that opposed to profanity, as I'm not religious in any way, but mostly I see no reason to use it and I try to teach my children not to.

Back on topic: typical Thai. It was a bummer learning Thai, only to have to listen to them talk about Ghosts, Hoodoo and other absolutely ridiculous things. I remember the Head of the English department at my school once spent 3 hours straight with a fortune teller during working hours.

These fake fortune tellers (and I haven't met one single person yet that truly could predict the future, even though I believed very much in fortune telling in the past) should all be made legally responsible for the damage they cause with their poking around in the dark... One of these idiots causing mass panic and slumps in business/tourist revenue due to his/her "warning" but with no disaster actually happening, should pay for the losses. We'll then see how many of them still dare to make any of those "the world as we know it is coming to an end" statements. There will be none!

I almost got killed in the 2004 Tsunami, lost home and both parents, friends and neighbors, and (apart from the expert who got booted for stating that there is a big possibility for a Tsunami on Thailand's Westcoast many years before 2004) no fortune teller ever mentioned any tsunami back then. After 2004 all of a sudden, several of those "Wannabe Nostradami" came out the closet and predicted tsunamis all over the place - if all predictions would have become reality, there would have been over 20 subsequent tsunamis by now. Beware of the false prophets! Best throw them in a dungeon and let them lay the Tarot to the sewer rats!

Fake fortune tellers? do the real ones predictions come true.

OK I'm being pedantic, agreed a shame the people of this county fall for this stuff.

Don't underestimate the usefulness of the fortune tellers.

Back in the distant past I was visited by the GF and her sister, both in tears. They and their mum had been to a fortune teller and had been reliably informed that our relationship would not last. Turned out to be true!!!! In fact, that prediction was the start of the deterioration, after that point every little issue was considered as reinforcing the prophesy. laugh.png

I am keeping this in reserve as a useful excuse for various situations.

"Sorry, tilak, I've been to the fortune teller and she said that it would be a disaster to build a house on your parent's land"

"Sorry, tilak, we cannot buy a new pick-up, my fortune teller is adamant that we will have an accident"

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

"Tilak, fortune teller say if we boom boom more your mama win lottery." biggrin.png

• Like 1

These fake fortune tellers (and I haven't met one single person yet that truly could predict the future, even though I believed very much in fortune telling in the past) should all be made legally responsible for the damage they cause with their poking around in the dark... One of these idiots causing mass panic and slumps in business/tourist revenue due to his/her "warning" but with no disaster actually happening, should pay for the losses. We'll then see how many of them still dare to make any of those "the world as we know it is coming to an end" statements. There will be none!

I almost got killed in the 2004 Tsunami, lost home and both parents, friends and neighbors, and (apart from the expert who got booted for stating that there is a big possibility for a Tsunami on Thailand's Westcoast many years before 2004) no fortune teller ever mentioned any tsunami back then. After 2004 all of a sudden, several of those "Wannabe Nostradami" came out the closet and predicted tsunamis all over the place - if all predictions would have become reality, there would have been over 20 subsequent tsunamis by now. Beware of the false prophets! Best throw them in a dungeon and let them lay the Tarot to the sewer rats!

While I agree with the spirit of your post, I don't believe the problem lies with these parasites. It's about gullibility, not being able/willing to think for themselves, critical thinking, etc... Imagine a world where the average human critical thinking factor was raised, how many con artists, investment bankers, politicians, religious freaks would actually have to get a real job...manual labor, ugh!

Edited by klauskunkel
  • Like 1

Highly annoying. A few years back a Brazilian "psychic" predicted a tsunami, and this in fact caused many people to cancel their planned holiday at the Andaman coast. It has always been a mystery to me that also many highly educated Westerners believe in hogwash like fortune tellers and astrology. Well known psychics who come out with disaster predictions that cause a lot of economical damage should be held responsible.

• Like 1

I want to state up front that I do not believe in fortune tellers, but in December 2004 an Irish woman that I know told me not to travel to Asia that Christmas because something really bad was going to happen, she didn't know what or where, just that something really bad was going to happen in Asia

• Like 1

why they dont put these rumour mongers in jail for creating a panic ? tought this was against the generals rules, to spread rumours that create unhappyness ?

this is what you get with thai education, where people actually will believe such a monbo jumbo

"Peninsular Thailand will actually disappear, she said, though without saying whether this would be next week or 2,000 years from now." If it doesn't happen in next 2,000 years, I know many who believe her will be speechless. Rather large window of time I dare say. Reminded me of Joni Mitchell song with lines "She'll predict your death. Won't say when, won't say when".

A second opinion regarding this prediction should be sought from the KL airport juju man who predicted that MH370 was either in the air or had landed somewhere. As far as I can recall, that was two or three days after the plane went missing. Amazingly, he was 100% correct.

• Like 1