Why Go To Harvard When You Can Opt For An Asian Ivy League?

Utley

This might come as slightly OT but I would argue that one day empirical study beats 100 books and 10 years at a university combined.

Studiyng is basically like trying to read the taste of a lime. But only tasting it yourself will reveal the true taste. No book can substitute that.

2000 years ago a man calculated the circumference of earth with a stick. He didn't need any university to learn that.

Nice to know. Did you tell all those folks who spent all that money on Oxford and Harvard they wasted their money? I wonder if my heart surgeon knows all the years he spent at school were wasted. He should have just gone in carving away. Same for jet pilots; who needs education. Get in that plane and fly her off. Architects don't need any math do they? Mortar and a brick should do it. And any guitar player can write a symphony. And anyone make an atomic bomb.

1. Spending money on school or spending money discovering yourself - I would say if the school only provides the book and a teacher then it was waste.

2. The best surgeons are the ones that studied by doing more than reading.

3. Jet pilots spends time in simulators to come as close to reality as possible

4. Architects that wants to make something that no one else has ever done, probably can't read that or it's already old.

5. Writing symphonies surely can't be done by reading how someone else did

6. The atom bomb was created out from thousands and thousands of experiments. In fact, any book written at that time clearly stated that it would be impossible to make.

I'm not saying reading is bad to you. Just that putting things to practice is far better. Any fighter pilot can testify that the experience of flying is nothing you can read about.

By reading you will inherently limit yourself to what other experienced. But your experiences could be different. And there are thousands of examples where books needs to be rewritten because they were wrong.

I'm suggesting that you go out in the world and "write" your own book.

Surgeons can't operate without a strong background in biology and physiology and chemistry. Do you have any idea what pre med students do? What medical students do? What interns do?

760 hours classroom before getting into an airplane. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_Aviation_Academy

Architecture majors may even take up to three courses in college-level calculus, moving on to three-dimensional mathematics. Linear Programming. Courses in linear programming and optimization teach architecture majors how to find the best possible value in certain situations. 4 years of college level maths to get a degree as an architectural

engineering.

Writing a symphony is normally done by conductors who have been classically trained in college 4 to 10 years.

The atomic bomb was created by engineers all of whom had degrees.

On August 2, 1939, just before the beginning of World War II, Albert Einstein wrote to then President Franklin D. Roosevelt. Einstein and several other scientists told Roosevelt of efforts in Nazi Germany to purify uranium-235, which could be used to build an atomic bomb. It was shortly thereafter that the United States Government began the serious undertaking known then only as "The Manhattan Project."

And finally suprise, "To begin training, a candidate must be 18 to 34 years old, be a U.S. citizen and have a bachelor’s degree. To become a pilot, a candidate must make it through tests, selection and officer school." Yes fighter pilots need a degree.

Books ain't bad. Teaching ain't bad. Don't get me wrong here.

But let's play a mindgame:

What taxi driver would you rather go with from hotel to airport:

1. The one that only STUDIED a book about driving 1 year.

2. The one driving a real car for 1 week.

Ps. You can't "purify" Uranium 235. But you can "purify" Uranium ore. But the academic term is Enrichment or isotope separation. Well, I give you that one - I read that in a book :)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of the 91 British ones, everyone knows which ones count or not. If there are 4600 in the USA I am not sure that is much of an advert for an american college education.

Think of it this quality over quantity

"Mark " A. product of finest British Education

Dear YK product of the finest KFC University

Yingluck graduated with a BA degree from the Faculty of Political Science and Public Administration, Chiang Mai University in 1988 and received a MPA degree (specialization in Management Information Systems) from Kentucky State University in 1991.

Graduated....? You mean bought

Education in America is not for sale. If you have any facts to back you up post them. If not .........

Ps. You can't "purify" Uranium 235. But you can "purify" Uranium ore. But the academic term is Enrichment or isotope separation. Well, I give you that one - I read that in a book smile.png

Tradesmen/taxi drivers don't need degrees. Professions need degrees; that's why they call it a profession.

pro·fes·sion
prəˈfeSHən/
noun
noun: profession; plural noun: professions
a paid occupation, especially one that involves prolonged training and a formal qualification.
On August 2, 1939, just before the beginning of World War II, Albert Einstein wrote to then President Franklin D. Roosevelt. Einstein and several other scientists told Roosevelt of efforts in Nazi Germany to purify uranium-235, which could be used to build an atomic bomb. http://inventors.about.com/od/astartinventions/a/atomic_bomb.htm
Edited by thailiketoo

England is such a little country; 91 universities. The US has 4,600. Difficult to compare really.

Of the 91 British ones, everyone knows which ones count or not. If there are 4600 in the USA I am not sure that is much of an advert for an american college education.

1. Which one did you go to? 2. Who is everyone?

Myself. Durham.

There are plenty of non entity unis in the UK.

Was regaled a while ago by a Thai girl who had gone to UEA. I had to scratch my head for a while. University of East Anglia.

There are universities and universities........

Who is everyone? I've never heard of Durham.

In the UK, it is fairly well known which universities are better than others. HR managers are well aware. That's their job. Durham is rated pretty good. It isn't Oxbridge.

In the UK, it is fairly well known which universities are better than others. HR managers are well aware. That's their job. Durham is rated pretty good. It isn't Oxbridge.

My point was that with 91 universities it would be easy to know the good and bad but 5000 it becomes a difficult task.

That's why you can't compare the US and UK; the average guy is not going to know anything about 5000 US universities as evidenced above by thinking Kentucky State University was a fried chicken place.

Ps. You can't "purify" Uranium 235. But you can "purify" Uranium ore. But the academic term is Enrichment or isotope separation. Well, I give you that one - I read that in a book smile.png

Tradesmen/taxi drivers don't need degrees. Professions need degrees; that's why they call it a profession.

pro·fes·sion

prəˈfeSHən/

noun

noun: profession; plural noun: professions

a paid occupation, especially one that involves prolonged training and a formal qualification.

On August 2, 1939, just before the beginning of World War II, Albert Einstein wrote to then President Franklin D. Roosevelt. Einstein and several other scientists told Roosevelt of efforts in Nazi Germany to purify uranium-235, which could be used to build an atomic bomb. http://inventors.about.com/od/astartinventions/a/atomic_bomb.htm

It is not only professions that require or benefit from degrees. A degrees is a great thing to experience and have.

Its not the be all and end all but it is better than not having one.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Isnt a driving licence a formal qualification ? Are there no "professional drivers" HGV etc? racing drivers? Michael Schumacker springs to mind is he not a Professional.

Just a thought.

Even back when I was racing one had to go to 3 drivers schools at three different race courses. I'm sure now it is much more complicated.

It is not only professions that require or benefit from degrees. A degrees is a great thing to experience and have.

Its not the be all and end all but it is better than not having one.

I've always thought that a degree at least showed an ability to stick to a task for 4 years. Shows dedication.