Stuck at the airport for 24 hours

I just have been advised by TG that my return flight form Frankfurt

has been delayed in Bangkok for the connecting flight to Perth

for a full daysad.png anything to do near the airport ? Just don't like to

travel to far away from the airport just in case of traffic jams or similar.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Lots to do in Thailand and you can get a cheap but comfortable hotel to sleep.

The airport link is a good option, other options depends on the time of your flight. A taxi outside rush hours is no problem, nor are busses.

Or if not wanting to go to the city and just want to relax... Can always just a room at the Novotel at the airport

It's walking distance from the terminal or can just wait a few minutes and their is a shuttle that will take you there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The airport link is a good option, other options depends on the time of your flight. A taxi outside rush hours is no problem, nor are busses.

Well i arrive at 9am and fly out again at 11pm the next day so i would take the airport link

and book a hotel in the city i guess thanks for the advice

With those times no problems also with a taxi.

As has been mentioned, do check if you are entitled to compansation because of the delay. Your right to it also depend on where you booked the flight. The European Union for instance has strict rules regarding this.

There's a few cheap hotels in the King Kaew/Lat Krabang area (500-1000B a night), just around the corner from the airport. Not a huge amount to do there but Wat Bang Plee is worth a look, plus to hop on the train to BKK is easy done, alternatively a cab/bus/minivan to Udomsuk BTS takes a few minutes.

With those times no problems also with a taxi.

As has been mentioned, do check if you are entitled to compansation because of the delay. Your right to it also depend on where you booked the flight. The European Union for instance has strict rules regarding this.

I booked the flight in Perth some month ago after all the hassle getting a Schengen visa for my wife and nephew

and what has the EU to do with it I guess is just a matter by Thai Airways the screwed up some how.

Well i arrive at 9am and fly out again at 11pm the next day so i would take the airport link

With those times I would probably go into the city. You will need to extend your room with that 11pm departure.

If you don't want to go into the city then Lat Krabang is nearby. Hotels like the Thong Ta have a shuttle service included in the price. Superior room 850 Baht with discount voucher off their website.

Also convenient to the Airport Rail Link is the NASA-VEGAS Hotel with a walk in rate of B690, less if booked on Agoda (www.nasavegashotel.com)

It is directly across the street from the RHAMKHAMHENG ARL station, 4 stops (20 min) from the airport. They have just opened a pedestrian overpass going to the hotel so you do not have to cross the busy street.

Easy to get there and easy to get back.

I suggest going to the river with your free time and take a tourist boat down to the palace and back...a really interesting trip.

Having never lived in Bangkok, but other parts of Thailand for 10 years, I would think that you could come into the city and find some nice young entertainment for the evening. Might think of that myself, next time I get stuck in Seoul for a bit.

You need to ask TG what accommodation they are offering due to the schedule change. If you are not happy with that you can ask them to change the departure date to a day with a normal connection.

If I were in your shoes I would be happy to have the bonus day in bangkok and the freebie hotel.

There is a motorway to Pattaya and you can be there in 2 hours easily.

And the same coming back.

Traffic isn't too bad in Pattaya right now, and the motorway seems to move reasonably most hours, perhaps just have to watch teh flood back into BKK after a weekend or local holiday.

WC13 There is quite a nice small Hotel about 10mins from Airport-- They pick you up with a shuttle & take you back, (for free) its in an area where there are markets to eat at (20 yards from the Hotel) massage in hotel & just down the road (much cheaper) You can get breakfast / swimming pool / Wi-Fi etc 3 golf courses near by / an Ikea & shopping center close---at the moment Agoda is asking 630 baht for the night --- but you can book direct, I stayed last month on my way to the UK...... very adequate.

Not sure about advertising here---will PM you now--

But---I agree-- the Airline should be doing something for you............

• Like 1

If it was me, I'd grab a tourist map at the airport, and take a taxi direct, or airport skytrain then taxi, to Ibis Hotel Soi Nana Sukhumvit (or City Lodge Soi 9 Sukhumvit) and then enjoy what Bangkok has to offer for two full days and a night. Either hotel will be about B1200+/-.

Skytrain From Nana down to the Chao Phraya, public boat along the river to the Palace, sightseeing there, Chinatown and Little India, again public boat to the stop abeam Khao San road (right at the base of the bridge) for dinner at an all you can eat BBQ place on the river,then taxi back to Sukhumvit Road for a night market stroll.

Next day, hopefully a weekend, skytrain to Chatuchak market for a few hours, and maybe a wat or two.

If not a weekend, any number of touristy things or perhaps an organized tour before heading back to the airport.

It really is an interesting place to spend some time.

Edited by F4UCorsair

Nothing really open in the morning except hotel restaurants in town. Don't go too early, unless that's what you are looking for.

Bangkok is a bustling city early in the morning, lots to see and experience, as long as you're not to scared to try street food. Start by going to the one with the longest queue (guaranteed to be good)

You can leave your main bag with left luggage and just take off with a small bag with a change of clothes and such. Will make being flexible and taking the airport link quite easy.

With the caveat of no electronics of any sort in any baggage consigned at the left luggage drops; they x-ray everything and have you pull unacceptable stuff out. Even 'passive' electronics like chargers, batteries and headphones should be removed.

Pattaya is less than 2 hours away by bus (Bell Bus) and very inexpensive (less than 150 baht). Get a room for 15 hours and enjoy whatever it is that makes your ticker tock. Just make sure you book a return trip to arrive back at the airport in time for check in. I would just have the hotel get me a van back to the Terminal. Why would you stay 24 hours in an airport?

5th of June I had a booking on the evening flight from Frankfurt to Bangkok. On the 4th I was informed by the travel agent that the evening flights on the 5th and the 7th were cancelled. This information showed up on the Thai Airways Germany website but not on the Thai Airways Thailand website. On calling Thai Airways Germany I was told the flights were cancelled due to a technical problem. I ended up changing my flight to the afternoon of the 5th, meaning that I lost a whole working day in our German office.

I suspect Thai Airways maybe cancelling flights which are not so busy.

I suspect you are right. Not the first time they have worked a 'dynamic' timetable based on short-term passenger loads.

I recall years ago in China when the only carrier was CAAC or "come aboard and cry / crash".... (your choice), and the pilot would call ahead to Liuiyan from Lanzhou and ask how many passengers there were. If we were lucky and there were some genuine tourists from the Mogao Caves checked in, they would fly up and get us. But most times, it was just the usual half-a-dozen oil field trash and the pilot would say, "Let 'em take the train" and he would get a nice lazy afternoon AND overnight in Lanzhou before heading back to Beijing and we would get 3 days on the Urumqi 'express'.

5th of June I had a booking on the evening flight from Frankfurt to Bangkok. On the 4th I was informed by the travel agent that the evening flights on the 5th and the 7th were cancelled. This information showed up on the Thai Airways Germany website but not on the Thai Airways Thailand website. On calling Thai Airways Germany I was told the flights were cancelled due to a technical problem. I ended up changing my flight to the afternoon of the 5th, meaning that I lost a whole working day in our German office.

When big airlines like TG, LH, BA etc cancel flights or have drastic schedule changes they will offer alternative days and times and for most people that is ok. However for people who can't change dates say due to work they will put you on an alternative flight such the Lufthansa departure or TG from Munich, London, Paris , whatever works with the connecting flight probably on LH. They may not offer this until you tell them you cannot change your departure date.

If you are flying low cost airlines or bottom rung airlines like Bangladesh Biman , PIA or whatever you won't get this option.

That's two days and one night. Get a cab, go into town.