Chiang Dao Wildlife Sanctuary

Mahseer

Was in Chiang Dao recently and tried to locate the Wildlife Sanctuary which was indicated as being 7km off the main drag but couldn't locate despite speaking to several local folk around the cave area. Is it still running and if so where is it relative to the side road that it is clearly marked as being on. Stunning scenery around there and will cetainly revisit and wouldn't mind including the sanctuary if operational.

Thanks

Was in Chiang Dao recently and tried to locate the Wildlife Sanctuary which was indicated as being 7km off the main drag but couldn't locate despite speaking to several local folk around the cave area. Is it still running and if so where is it relative to the side road that it is clearly marked as being on. Stunning scenery around there and will cetainly revisit and wouldn't mind including the sanctuary if operational.

Thanks

I agree, a simply beautiful area, but I think there is a slight translation problem here. The Doi Luang Chiang Dao is actually in the Chiang Dao Wildlife Reserve. The whole area surrounding the mountain is a designated wild life reserve, on account of many endangered and rare bird species found there. To my knowledge there is no specific wild life sanctuary, just the general area being a reserve....MM

The wildlife sanctuary office is near the temple at the end of the road after passing Malee GH and Chang Dao Nest(?) GH. This is well after the cave entrance. They issue permits necessary to pass the checkpoint on the road heading round the back of the mountain to Muang Khong.

OK so the wildlife sanctuary and wildlife reserve is one and the same? I did check the web and both are referred to but obvious parallels exist. I went way beyond the caves and the 7kms quoted but looks like I turned back just before reaching the office which is a shame as the area certainly appears pristine. I'll allow a full day next time and persevere until I find the office / reserve / sanctuary.

Thanks a lot.

Take the road to Malee Nature Lovers Guesthouse.

Continue past Malee’s for 345 metres, then turn right & take the track up the hill for another 340 metres & there she is on the right hand side: The HQ for the Chiang Dao Wildlife Sanctuary.

Check out my GPS map below for a help.

77024892-M.jpg

The location is also shown on the Mae Hong Son Loop map if you have a copy, but the scale is not very helpful for such fine details as in this case.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...