iPhone 5 Power Button Replacement Program

nikster

Apple recently introduced a program where they will fix the power button on most iPhone 5 (not 5S) models free of charge - even if it's out of warranty, as most are by now.

Has anyone done this, and how long does it take? I was told the phone needs to be sent to Singapore and they actually replace the entire aluminum shell (so all scratches etc will be gone too).

Do I go to True Move (where I bought the phone) or to the Apple Dealer in Chiang Mai?

Thanks for any info

Info from the Apple website

iPhone 5 Sleep/Wake Button Replacement Program Your Specific Country can be selected on the document page

Apple iPhone5 sleepwakebutton participating locations

Some highlights:

Apple has determined that the sleep/wake button mechanism on a small percentage of iPhone 5 models may stop working or work intermittently. iPhone 5 models manufactured through March 2013 may be affected by this issue.

Apple will replace the sleep/wake button mechanism, free of charge, on iPhone 5 models that exhibit this issue and have a qualifying serial number.

Note: If your iPhone 5 sleep/wake button does not show any signs of this issue and/or does not have a qualifying serial number, no action is required on your part at this time.

How to send your iPhone 5 to an Apple Repair Center

• Bring your iPhone 5 to a participating Apple Authorized Service Provider.

• Your iPhone will be examined to verify eligibility, and then sent to the local Apple Repair Center.

• You will be notified when your iPhone is ready for pickup.

[ The replacement process takes approximately 4-6 days from the time your iPhone is received at the repair center] If you require a loaner during the time that your iPhone is being serviced, participating Apple Authorized Service Providers will have iPhone 5 models (16GB only) available.

Note: To use the carry-in option, you must visit a participating Apple Authorized Service Provider and not a wireless carrier partner.

Additional Information

Apple may restrict or limit repair to the original country of purchase.

Your iPhone 5 must be in working order to qualify for this program.

See the original page for full description.

• Like 1

This could be outdated, but my girlfriend took hers to a True Move shop and they gave her a replacement phone on the spot. Apparently the have replacement phones and the whole process took about 20 mins.

If she went to an authorized service center it would taken longer and the process is the same as above.

This was when the phone still had warranty but might be worth contacting True to see if they can still do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by arkom

Cool that they have replacement phones now - they certainly didn't when I bought my iPhone 5 but I guess that's because at that time, the phone was so new people still had to wait to get one. I returned 2 right in the beginning, each return took 1 week. I didn't have a choice - one return was for a broken WiFi module and the phone really is no good to me without WiFi. And the other was for a scratched case, has to be claimed right there in the shop or there'd be no way to prove I didn't cause the scratches.

Still I'm guessing True will only cover in-warranty phones, and not the recall. The website is pretty specific about it ;)

Not all shops have replacement phones, only the bigger ones, best to call True ask.

When she took it in, it was because of the sleep button problem as well. I thought they made a similar announcement back then, so I assumed True replaced it as part of a recall, not because of warranty.

Guess I was wrong cause she just told me it was claimed under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand