Thai editorial: Time to derail this gravy train

webfact

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whatever your comments on the Army that is your personal gripe.

Most of this mess created by the PTP could have been checked and controlled by your Thaksin police force. but the same as the last coup had no idea how to take care of Thailand people. They WERE a franchise or money collectors --hopefully that's changed now.

The long time ago airport seizure should have been the polices job.

All your rant has been about poss lack of transparency within the army ??? no mention of the Shins/PTP ---reality who were responsible for accounts during the last 3 years (or lack of). it's all well and good slagging of the cleaners when the slagging off of the dirty regime would be more in order.

But noitom never mentioned PTP, Thaksin or the Shins/PTP. Neither did I.

But you managed all three and still didn't manage to qualify this fawning adulation for Prayuth.

Just more of the same, "But they did this and they were doing did that!" Hardly an endorsement for a dictatorship, benevolent or otherwise.

I would not bother, no matter the topic, his/her posts are the same. Follow dear leader or you are a red apologist.

For corruption to be eliminated, it must come from the top down. In this case the military as pointed out by noitom. As there has been no suggestion of this being part of the reforms, it would be hard for a reasonable person to think that it was more than a clearing out of the wrong people. I doubt any democratic country would have so many generals in so many external positions. Don't they have a job to do cheesy.gif

Attitude problem you minority have.

( don't bother with ginjag as he was a critic of PTP) There was NO effort from PTP over 3 years, ok this is a repeat slogan but it is fact you guys are and always have been in denial and now slagging off the army.

Cleaning up dung IS part of reforms for starters unless you want to sweep the dung under the carpet and pretend it didn't exist for 3 years.

A democratic country would never be run from another land or be governing in such a diabolical corrupt fashion .

I month and progress, but this is not good--PTP were brilliant ??? give this chance a try ---BUT I think it's not on your agenda.

• Like 1

It's deeply sad and worrying to see people celebrating a military overthrow of a democratically (yes, however fragile and flawed the process it is at least more just than rule by might) because it removed people with whom they disagree, or even more despicably, because they think it'll improve their business revenue.

Criticise Thailand and its democracy all you like, but consider that when you act and speak in such craven, destructive, spiteful self-interest that you might be part of the problem, not the solution.

It is improving Thailand greatly; have a look around. This is a place where democracy never existed; a constitutional monarchy.

Here we see the army doing more for people as a whole, than oligarchies who run a fiefdom for self benefits. I mean for all the politicians in the past, not one group here or there. Prayuth is doing things on micro to macro levels to help the country; that can't be denied. Simple fact; look around. Not often does someone like this come along to help the general public.

I agree that these steps are positive for Thailand, and if they continue, puts Thailand on the path of decreasing corruption. However, it is important for these institutions be open to public inspection. Thailand needs to publicly show the compensation of government paid salaries and to allow the media to cover all aspects of government without fear of prosecution or imprisonment for fact-based reporting.

Absolutely and should also include the military institutions. As soon as I hear that the General is embarking on an army reform, I will start believing in the coup.

What the HEL# do you think he is doing--picking his nose ??? he is trying to pave the way to doing what you stated, so for starters try to believe a little Thailand has nothing to lose by doing this.

You dont change my mind with the nose picking analogy. I want to see deeds, not words. I want to see total reform, not selective. Every coup started with the same excuses of breaking political impasse, bring back happiness, corruption too rampant and ended with an agenda. Then we start the cycle all over again. I cant be a believer if we had precedents like past coups. I am not an easy believer like you too. This coup may be different but yet to run its course. I will reserve judgement till then.

How many deeds did you see under 3 years of the PTP? How much reform did you see under 3 years of the PTP.

The Army has had only one month and you and many others are whining that YOU don't believe, that YOU don't accept.

What were YOU doing under 3 years of the PTP when they were asking for more time?

Why don't YOU give them the opportunity and the time? How about 3 years which is the same as the PTP had and what did they do for the country in that time.

SFA.

• Like 1

Talk is cheap they say... the proof is in the pudding... the road to hell paved with good intentions....

While I vigorously applaud at the well meaning junta plans to put this country on the right tracks

it yet to be seen.....

totally agree.

But, let's not forget the positive aspect of national euphoria.

Merely thinking of this actually happening brings a big cheesy grin to my face. Multiply that by 66 million, (give or take a few thousand elites in state run enterprises) and that's a hell of a national smirk to back up the general.biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

It would appear that another wheel has been removed from the train.

BANGKOK: -- The military junta today sacked both the director-general of the Department of Employment and the foreign labour affairs director to pave the way for efficient, effective and orderly regulation of foreign labour in the country.

Under Thursday’s order of Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha, chief of the National Council of Peace and Order, director-general of the Department of Employment Mr Pravit Kiengpol, and foreign labour office director Mr Decha Prukpatanarak will be transferred to the Prime Minister’s Office.

They will be replaced respectively by Mr Sumet Mahosot, deputy permanent secretary of the Labour Ministry, and Mr Phichit Nilthongkham, chief of the Chonburi Employment Office.

Source: http://englishnews.t...-chiefs-sacked/

xthaipbs_logo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.xwuNWP8G4
-- Thai PBS 2014-06-19

After stories of employers and foreign workers been ripped off by officers of the above Dept, helped by police, it would seem that head has been cut of that snake

A clear warning to everyone else in the Dept that they could be next.

The prime ministers office will soon be the biggest office in the country.

I hope the assets of all these people are being seriously looked into.

• Like 2

While I don't like the idea of a coup - this is the least bad coup you could have. General Prayuth is shining a floodlight on all the cockroaches and they are running for cover!

You do realise Prayuth himself sits on the executive board of a number of companies including the state electricity utility companies MEA and the Thai military bank? In dollar terms he is worth tens of millions from these side activities.

This isnt about stopping the gravy train, its about moving its beneficaries from PTP linked people to the elite. Hooray, we can all get rodgered by a different group of criminals, HI 5thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

It's deeply sad and worrying to see people celebrating a military overthrow of a democratically (yes, however fragile and flawed the process it is at least more just than rule by might) because it removed people with whom they disagree, or even more despicably, because they think it'll improve their business revenue.

Criticise Thailand and its democracy all you like, but consider that when you act and speak in such craven, destructive, spiteful self-interest that you might be part of the problem, not the solution.

It removed corrupt crooks from governing. Now we finally see a cleanup of Thailand. Have you seen the PTP do anything not in the best interest of their pockets ?.

Remember this started by wanting to get dear leader back and adding him to an amnesty bill that would have gotten normal reds out of jail. Now they are still in jail and the PTP is overthrown all because of their convicted criminal leader.

They even gave him a passport.. all they did was in the best interest of the PTP their nepotism brought them down. Had they played by the rules instead of thinking we have a mandate so we can do what we want they would still be here.

So you should think hard and put the blame where it should be.. at the PTP.

I am dancing and celebrating that all those red cheerleaders like you are crying their eyes out. While I might not agree with everything the Junta does they are a 200% improvement over the PTP.

I think most foreigners here would prefer to live under a Junta as under the PTP (unless they play by the rules). Not that it makes much difference for us as we cant vote anyway.

I hope the PTP learns from this and accepts the rules and checks and balances. Then I have no problem with them in charge.

But I think a lot of them aren't coming back because of corruption chargers.

We will see.. and posts like your put a smile on my face knowing there are still a lot of red farangs with high blood pressure.

• Like 1

It removed corrupt crooks from governing. Now we finally see a cleanup of Thailand. Have you seen the PTP do anything not in the best interest of their pockets ?.

Remember this started by wanting to get dear leader back and adding him to an amnesty bill that would have gotten normal reds out of jail. Now they are still in jail and the PTP is overthrown all because of their convicted criminal leader.

They even gave him a passport.. all they did was in the best interest of the PTP their nepotism brought them down. Had they played by the rules instead of thinking we have a mandate so we can do what we want they would still be here.

I am dancing and celebrating that all those red cheerleaders like you are crying their eyes out. While I might not agree with everything the Junta does they are a 200% improvement over the PTP.

I think most foreigners here would prefer to live under a Junta as under the PTP (unless they play by the rules). Not that it makes much difference for us as we cant vote anyway.

I hope the PTP learns from this and accepts the rules and checks and balances. Then I have no problem with them in charge.

We will see.. and posts like your put a smile on my face knowing there are still a lot of red farangs with high blood pressure.

Where does it say that I'm a 'red farang'? I'm not even sure what that means. Where does it say that I have high blood pressure?

I don't really care about the petty yellow-red politicking. What I do care about is guests in a country cheerleading the takeover of a military dictatorship. It's easier to destroy something than to improve it, and it takes no courage, especially when egged on by a mob.

It removed corrupt crooks from governing. Now we finally see a cleanup of Thailand.

See my above post. Why is it ok for the General to sit on these boards? Why is it different than PTP?

No one argues PTP were corrupt to the core, its just the more sensible of us can see its out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Walking in to a few hundred Thai public company board rooms and seeing the photos of countless generals on the wall of the board rooms was always puzzling. Until it became clear. They are all patronage appointed positions. The Thai army is nothing more than a security force for the Thai business class elite establishment. That's what this is all about. When things reach the "disturbance" level and fear of rioting and most of all, looting kicks in, they call their old friend whose picture is on the board room wall and inform him it is time. That's what's been going on for decades in Thailand.

The Thai army is not a fighting force as we know fighting forces, it couldn't prevent closure of the international airport or chose not to and sat by watching the mayhem and chaos internationally and economically. The Thais rarely if ever send forces to troubled spots, they can't seem to come up with a way to stop revolutionary guerilla killing and bombing in the south of their own land for over ten years, there is no real security provided by the Thai army. They can't even spot a commercial 777 jetliner flying off course over their southern land and seashore or scramble a jet to check it out. Human trafficking goes on every day all over Thailand and its sea provinces and the Thai army seems powerless to stop it or unwilling. So it's clear to see that it's really just a protection or security force for the Thai establishment who live behind those gated walls and in those staff driven MBs and exclusive clubs and golf courses.

Their doing all this purging and so called reform, and some it is well intentioned and a good idea. The questions are who is ultimately accountable for all these decisions? Where will the buck stop when some of these decisions go stale or become ineffective or wrong? What about transparency? While they are purging state board members in THAI and elsewhere, are they also looking to remove some of the army generals who have absolutely no expertise or value add to the businesses on which they sit as paid board members? What about publishing the salaries, perqs, benefits and retirement plans for the military? Do they plan to be really transparent and prove it?

Any response from TV's self-styled Prayuth 'happy clappers' Glee Club? No?

I thought not.

Whatever your comments on the Army that is your personal gripe.

Most of this mess created by the PTP could have been checked and controlled by your Thaksin police force. but the same as the last coup had no idea how to take care of Thailand people. They WERE a franchise or money collectors --hopefully that's changed now.

The long time ago airport seizure should have been the polices job.

All your rant has been about poss lack of transparency within the army ??? no mention of the Shins/PTP ---reality who were responsible for accounts during the last 3 years (or lack of). it's all well and good slagging of the cleaners when the slagging off of the dirty regime would be more in order.

But noitom never mentioned PTP, Thaksin or the Shins/PTP. Neither did I.

But you managed all three and still didn't manage to qualify this fawning adulation for Prayuth.

Just more of the same, "But they did this and they were doing did that!" Hardly an endorsement for a dictatorship, benevolent or otherwise.

Just about anyone can go get a photo of themselves in military uniform, the photo shops keep them for that purpose. There were already quite a lot of people killed & wounded with the authorities making no progress in halting this let alone making any meaningful arrests plus there was a very real threat of civil war (for those of you with short memories there were many provocative statements attesting to this). The military has headed all this off otherwise we could have witnessed an extremely violent "Thai Spring". I feel grateful the army has stepped in at this juncture.

• Like 1

Where does it say that I'm a 'red farang'? I'm not even sure what that means. Where does it say that I have high blood pressure?

I don't really care about the petty yellow-red politicking. What I do care about is guests in a country cheerleading the takeover of a military dictatorship. It's easier to destroy something than to improve it, and it takes no courage, especially when egged on by a mob.

Seen your post before seen this post.. its clear enough.

I keep cheerleading.. so do many others and many Thais I know. They actually told me this was a vast improvement. But hey if you move around in the red districts opinions may differ.

I keep cheerleading.. so do many others and many Thais I know.

Well if it gives you a purpose in life and makes you happy so be it smile.png

The more politically astute can assess the dire situation Thailand is in, not just in terms of Human Rights, but with a junta approving populist policies perhaps even more wreckless than PTP. Frying pan into the fire is where we are.

The more politically astute can assess the dire situation Thailand is in, not just in terms of Human Rights, but with a junta approving populist policies perhaps even more wreckless than PTP. Frying pan into the fire is where we are.

Your friend's Rice Pledging Scheme scam, a populist policy, cost the country nearly half a trillion baht. Cracking down on mafioso is free and not intended to garner votes from fools and sheep.

• Like 2

Let's not have any elections . . . the "junta" seems to be doing a great job so far and I would hate to see the politicians reverse all these positive steps forward. There's a long way to go, but I'm hopeful that at the end of the day this will be the start of something new and fresh for Thailand.

Electing the unelectable is becoming a very common problem world wide. People are becoming more savvy with the daily exposure of graft and greed in the ranks in all sorts of fancy pantsy democracies.

What this does show, quite unequivocally, that there are many Thais only too aware of the iniquities of their own political and legal system, and share many of the same concerns that have been discussed with great energy and frequency on Thai Visa.

This Thai, our populist General, has made use of the stale mate fracturing of the political system, and his own firepower to actually do something about it.

I also say good on the Thais that took risks to also get on the street and make their thoughts known.

"....... that there are many Thais only too aware of the iniquities of their own political and legal system, ......."

At the risk of having a moderator delete my post because of a "grammar" point, I would like to add that you may also have used a word that is very similar in spelling but quite different in meaning. That word is inequities.

"....... that there are many Thais only too aware of the inequities of their own political and legal system, ......"

It has frequently been pointed out that the second word has been the cause of many of the problems facing Thailand today. Unfairness in the selection of political representatives, job opportunities, application of the justice system due to personal connections and knowing powerful people. It may be possible that under the junta, we may see the start of a more equitable application of the law by the courts where justice is applied to all cases regardless of social standing. No more dismissal of charges due to the case of "Whom it is one knows or how powerful one's family is". Justice for all!.

Thailand has long been content to be ruled by iniquitous politicians until finally people started to say "Enough is enough, the country has suffered financial stress for too long"

Now let's hope people start to protest against the inequities as well, and perhaps a start can be made by releasing from prison those who are there on trumped up charges and unfair judgments, regardless of color coding (red or yellow)and get those into the prisons who have abused the system for their own benefit and personal gain. I think we all know who they are.

Start treating all people equally.

Iniquity : immoral or grossly unfair behavior.

Inequity: lack of equity; injustice; unfairness

. . . well put and indeed while, all this time we can see freedom of speech is still alive and quite unwell also in London, the US, Sweden and Australia who have managed between them to keep Julian Assange cooped up in the Equadorian Embassy, in London.

Who's at the top wish to stay at the top irregardless. "Great democracies" that pontificate against our popular General without a gammy leg to stand on.

Stay alert folks.

The army will find it exceedingly difficult to derail any of these "gravy trains" because the gravy has congealed a long time ago.

I like your comment, however you are aware that with gentle heat, gravy soon liquefies.

Just understand that the General has the matches and is now applying a little heat.

• Like 1

Talk is cheap they say... the proof is in the pudding... the road to hell paved with good intentions....

While I vigorously applaud at the well meaning junta plans to put this country on the right tracks

it yet to be seen.....

"While I vigorously applaud at the well meaning junta plans to put this country on the right tracks

it has yet to be seen....."

Are you familiar with the old saying about Rome and the time it took to build it? Prayuth may be a General, but an Emperor he is not.

He has been at the controls now for just short of one month. Remember, they also serve who only stand and wait.

Without clear and publicly verifiable declaration of assets of ALL now being appointed to boards of State Enterprises in the stead of others, it is at best premature to be talking about a cleaning of the stables.

• Like 1

Actually, you often have to destroy certain parts of something in order to improve it. Before this present coup, where have you seen any improvements in dealing with corruption, either from yellow-shirted governments or red-shirted ones. They were ALL corrupt to the bone.

Edited by HerbalEd

Without clear and publicly verifiable declaration of assets of ALL now being appointed to boards of State Enterprises in the stead of others, it is at best premature to be talking about a cleaning of the stables.

I think the corruption runs so deep and wide that universal and full financial disclosures may be near impossible. However, I hope it all gets exposed. Meanwhile I bet there are lots of corrupt officials out there right now who are quaking in their shoes. 555

Did you see this other story on tv.com today?

NCPO threatens to freeze dubious financial transactions

Edited by HerbalEd

The more politically astute can assess the dire situation

Really? So that would not include anyone that disagrees with you then right?

A part of democracy is listening to others opinions and offering constructive criticism and by not denouncing them and not be condescending towards them by stating they are not astute because they have a different opinion that you.

That is adopting an air of superiority and is most often used by people with "Narcissistic Personality Disorder"

You used to state the PTP populist policies where subsidy programs and now you say they were reckless?

Dire situation? From nearly daily terrorist attacks to nothing?

Army populist policies? What a 1500 baht subsidy that will be phased out while the farmers adjust to the sustainable reform model being implemented? That is reckless.

Seems the more politically astute might be code for "alarmists" that argue a political agenda.

• Like 1

post#100 - Have you seen the PTP do anything not in the best interest of their pockets ?.

Actually, I have. But I doubt that anybody wants to hear it. Anyway: not that long ago Thailand was at the brink of war. Anybody remember that piece of land with this ancient temple on it? Thailand was obviously prepairing to attack Cambodia to "unite" the Thai people against an enemy from outside (Argentina comes to mind, only that they messed with the wrong nation at the time).
Instead, the newly elected PTP government brought it to the United Nations International Court of Justice and (off course) acceptetd their ruling. I guess, that saved quite a few lifes. But in the end, even that will be seen as "selfserving manipulation" as PTP wanted to be reelected one day and war would have been very unpopular in the noth and the northeast.

Edited by jope

oh lordy lord i'm loving this. I hope the Generals next mission is to drive all the crazy red farangs from Thaivisa smile.png

Please enlighten us oh "All-in-the-name-of-democracy"... Who are they?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Anybody who has a different point of view to him of course.

Nero fiddled while Rome burned

PTP fiddled (literally) while Thailand plummeted into the abyss

Last I heard Thailand maintaining its BBB+ credit rating, debt well managed, SET at record high, record BOI investment, full employment, steady currency and full employment. Doesn't seem heading into the abyss.

oh lordy lord i'm loving this. I hope the Generals next mission is to drive all the crazy red farangs from Thaivisa smile.png

haha. Yes, who are they?

Even they are too embarrassed to say they support the PTP now.

The amount of times I have read "The Junta is evil, the DEM's are evil. thaksin is misunderstood, yinglick is the smartest PM in Thai history, BUT I don't support the PTP or the red shirts" or "I really thought the PTP were doing a good job and I believe in democracy and one vote, BUT I don't support the PTP or the red shirts"

It is like me having an Essendon avatar on TVF and going to a football match wearing an Essendon shirt, Essendon face paint and clapping every time Essendon kick a goal, BUT I don't support Essendon.

OK show us the posts then. Shouldn't be too hard

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/733279-junta-cancels-free-flights-of-thai-board-members/?p=7956764

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/734089-prayuth-says-ncpo-will-not-continue-rice-pledging-scheme/?p=7966935

My favorite is Binjalins. "I am not pro PTP I am anti-elite" http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/721938-abhisit-floats-minor-reforms/?p=7747008

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/728966-prayuth-says-transfers-made-for-suitability-of-current-situation-army-spokesman/?p=7881279

Someone that sees the same trend as me

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/729048-violators-of-lese-majesty-law-coup-orders-to-face-court-martial/?p=7883460

In the spirit of the folk that are not "pro PTP" or "pro red" I might finish my comments off as;

"I am not pro DEM or pro PDRC, I am anti violence, anti terrorist, anti corruption, anti abuse of power and anti 1 principle of democracy while abusing the other 14"

So if you're against the elite,you're pro PT? What kind of twisted world do you live in?

Well I'm not pro DEM or pro PT. Neither am I pro coup. Does this make me a reluctant anarchist?

haha. Yes, who are they?

Even they are too embarrassed to say they support the PTP now.

The amount of times I have read "The Junta is evil, the DEM's are evil. thaksin is misunderstood, yinglick is the smartest PM in Thai history, BUT I don't support the PTP or the red shirts" or "I really thought the PTP were doing a good job and I believe in democracy and one vote, BUT I don't support the PTP or the red shirts"

It is like me having an Essendon avatar on TVF and going to a football match wearing an Essendon shirt, Essendon face paint and clapping every time Essendon kick a goal, BUT I don't support Essendon.

OK show us the posts then. Shouldn't be too hard

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/733279-junta-cancels-free-flights-of-thai-board-members/?p=7956764

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/734089-prayuth-says-ncpo-will-not-continue-rice-pledging-scheme/?p=7966935

My favorite is Binjalins. "I am not pro PTP I am anti-elite" http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/721938-abhisit-floats-minor-reforms/?p=7747008

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/728966-prayuth-says-transfers-made-for-suitability-of-current-situation-army-spokesman/?p=7881279

Someone that sees the same trend as me

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/729048-violators-of-lese-majesty-law-coup-orders-to-face-court-martial/?p=7883460

In the spirit of the folk that are not "pro PTP" or "pro red" I might finish my comments off as;

"I am not pro DEM or pro PDRC, I am anti violence, anti terrorist, anti corruption, anti abuse of power and anti 1 principle of democracy while abusing the other 14"

So if you're against the elite,you're pro PT? What kind of twisted world do you live in?

Well I'm not pro DEM or pro PT. Neither am I pro coup. Does this make me a reluctant anarchist?

You asked me to show you the posts pertaining to what we were discussing and I took the time to show you.

And you reply is then to be condescending towards me?

I did not say if your against the elite you are pro PT. All I did was show you the links you asked me to.

No, "thanks for showing me this. I was wrong"?

No, "oh well you were right"?

No, "Thanks for showing me who they are"?

That is a PTP / UDD trait.

Actually, you often have to destroy certain parts of something in order to improve it. Before this present coup, where have you seen any improvements in dealing with corruption, either from yellow-shirted governments or red-shirted ones. They were ALL corrupt to the bone.

If you didnt see any improvements in corruption in the short time the Dems were in power then It appears I have to post this graph from Transparency international again.

post-12069-0-64817300-1403178621_thumb.j

You will note the nose dive in corruption in the time the 2 Thaksin proxy parties were in power after the 2006 coup then the leveling out and even starting to rise when the Dems took over.

This was in spite of having to take on the parasite parties and being forced give them plumb portfolios to plunder in return for their cooperation.

Then see the dive again when PT took over. If they had been allowed to continue for another term Thailand would have likely dropped right off the bottom of the table.

• Like 1

Punishing persons involved in corruption is always a good thing. Since the junta naturally wants to justify the coup, its a smart move to highlight cases of abuse.

If the coup had been against a government of the Democratic Party, I dare say many cases of irregularities could have been found as well...

• Like 1