Thai tourism industry leery of 'low-end' Chinese tourists

webfact

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would hardly call the hordes of English.,Aussie,German etc tourists high end either - tourists come here because it's cheap!

Yes, usually when I walk along Beach Road early in the morning I see (and sometimes have to step over) some of the quality farang tourists and job seekers.

n9-Russian-rob-5.jpg

trampDM0503_468x579.jpg

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

surely that is "when in Thailand do as Thai's do". Since when has anyone taken much notice of Thai traffic laws?

Thailand: the final destination; for low end nose picking Chinese, poor classless hippies/students, sex pervs, non native speaking English teachers, drunks, various types of criminals including out right idiots, wannabe bar owners, oldies etc.

So it's their money as long as they abide with the Thai law--when in ROME ??do as they do.

Hey and what is the matter with oldies you class them as geriatric ??? What is your classification, I have my own idea thumbsup.gif

Many don't abide with in the Thai law and cause traffic chaos by riding on the wrong side of the road, parking on busy intersections etc. Next useless comment?

Chinese saved tourist numbers in the north this year, despite the protests in BKK visitors remained high. I have a friend who owns a big spa, they had to hire two chinese speaking persons to attend the demand and it's not a cheap place. But many Thais seem determined to drive them away with arrogance and racist remarks.

The biggest problem I have with the Chinese tourists is their rudeness.

Culturally they may be used to tight quarters and pushing and shoving but they should leave that behind them.

I have stayed at hotels that include breakfast with the accommodations. When there are Chinese there you are lucky if you can get near the buffet tables.

I have problems walking and have been knocked over twice.

At the omelet tables they shove in front as if you haven't been patiently waiting your turn.

And this behavior carries over into other aspects - checking in/out etc.

• Like 2

We certainly don’t want poor Chinese tourists, high end only need apply, and Thailand has certain standards to keep up like the prostitutes don’t want to spend the whole night haggling and negotiating a price and group discounts don’t apply.

• Like 1

This post is upper rubbish from the OP aka Coconut.

I mingled in the past 1 month often with Chinese tourists and they are surely not that cheap as everyone thought they are. In fact the guys and gals I met stay at a 4star hotel which goes for around 3000 Baht a night.

To see some cheap tourists from Europe visit Khaosan or the full moon party.

BTW I wonder how many German's visited last year Thailand compared to the Chinese. The German's that visit the bars in Pattaya are huge and must be 50% of all arrivals in Thailand. Chinese tourists might be complicated to handle but give it a few more years and you will see the Chinese start building resorts for their own nationals such as the European's did for the past 15 years.

I guess they forgot about the western Backpackers, Retired Westerners heading to Bangkok to "bang-kok", some men looking for a wife in a thai Bar girl, etc etc.... wait a minute... i guess that sums up 90% of thailand tourists.

Now does TAT want these types of tourists too?

How stupid of the TAT to give such statements.

Time to live with the fact and mint money from the 90% of the tourists rather than targeting the 10%

Does anyone remember the article a few months back about how the Japanese don't like Thai tourists? It seems that every country has its own list of people they can do without.

One difference though....

Thailand cannot do without these so called "Cheap" tourists.....

This seems humorous seeing how a large percentage of Bangkokians (particularly the business owners) are of Chinese extraction. I think the Thai's were spoiled by all the years of the affluent West (pre 2008).

• Like 2

I am sure there are good and bad in all groups of tourist, Thailand needs every one they can get at the moment , Chinese yes can be offensive but so can many other nationalities , At the end of the day this statement from tat will do more harm than good.

• Like 1

OP .. reflects a disgustingly unfriendly, ungrateful attitude.

Much better would be to go on the offensive to rid Thailand of sex tourism.

They want so-called high end tourists?

1. Rebuild the toilets at Hua Lamphon railway station.

2. Start banging heads of the bus and van companies. Road transport in Thailand utterly is shameful.

Chinese are cheap... and negatively affect other tourists... and chase away...

perhaps they cheap but the only ones thailand get for the next decades. and not only thank to the military dictarship. also thank to all the mafia in tourism and selling sex and drugs like alcohol very cheap. an keep on playing music in some "tourists center" very loud at night. so i wish you a bright future with the chines. and don´t forget, you get always what you deserve in tourism :-D

• Like 1

OP .. reflects a disgustingly unfriendly, ungrateful attitude.

Much better would be to go on the offensive to rid Thailand of sex tourism.

They want so-called high end tourists?

1. Rebuild the toilets at Hua Lamphon railway station.

2. Start banging heads of the bus and van companies. Road transport in Thailand utterly is shameful.

I too have found the Chinese tour groups very discouraging, especially in huge groups waving flags, touting cameras and phones with videos running, especially in shops or locales which are sensitive (we have a friend that works in one of the red light areas of Bangkok, and go to meet her after work sometimes for a late night snack from the street vendors). Their lack of consideration for privacy is very frustrating.

Why do you feel that you have the right to remove a part of Thailand which enables visitors to experience a world free of rude, ignorant, arrogant, large pale skinned narcissist women which many of us have become accustomed to at home. These women exist here too, but they are easy to cast aside and/or ignore. They are also easily quickly identifiable because for the most part Thai women are generally such happy people, narcissists are only happy when they are the center of attention.

Just because the world you live in is not the world you so badly loathe, does not give you the right to pass judgement on others. You speak of sex tourists as if they are rapists, pedophiles, murderers, or worse.

Perhaps it is time you researched the "anti sex tourism movement" and the hard core feminist movement which propels it, and then re-consider if sex tourism is a bad thing because it is hurting people, or if it is a bad thing because it is dis-empowering a group of people who have stripped another group of people of their needs, wants, rights and desires for too long.

Sex tourism and/or finding a partner abroad is not about suppressing women, it is about having hope as a man of a world free of the bonds of feminism - and it is easily found in Asia, where many women are happy to have a truly equal and truly loving relationship with a little hard work over time.

I found my partner in Thailand through a friend when she was in university after a long search, I have never and would never consider dating a western woman... I'm not an "old shovenist pig" either.. I'm a 28 year old Male from a family that consider me an oddball because my partner is not "western" - but I am happier than they will ever be, and so is she.

Edited by TheGhostWithin
  • Like 1

Actually, when a customer comes all the way to your door and into your place, and you fail to extract sufficient income from them, the fault is not with the customer. Either your expectation is unrealistic, or your business acumen poor.

T

• Like 1

Well gone are the days of classifying people's class or spending capability based on race or nationality.

and in Chiang Mai, people from various budgets and classes can find their necessity that suits their potential budget.

if thailand goes on like the last few year with military coups, mafia of all kind in tourism, with overcharging tourists and so on the chines will be perhaps the only tourists for thailand. don´t forget in tourism you get what you deserve :-D

• Like 1

Last night mobile conversation with a friend at the night market Jomptien beach, quote My wife has just brought me some food, we have so many choices where to sit and eat it, as there is very few tourists here at this usually busy place.

Quote. " the last 4 days we have been sitting on the beach relaxing and could choose where we wanted as very few tourists were around.

Suppose all those Chinese tourists were either on a tour--gathered in a shopping mall--- or eating pre arranged food at a Chinese venue. ALL PRE PAID.

They do not tip as they are never in a normal Thai establishment to do so individually.

Not knocking the Chinese nation but speaking of their habits when on tour.

Rarely do you see them eat from street vendors --rarely do you see them in bars/go gos, rarely do you see them singly on a beach in a deck chair, they are herded like on a school trip we remembered as kids in the UK.

they are in a group like many other because of languish skills.

I think the country has to invest on Chainess tourism as they will be soon the richest country in the world.