Romantic dinner for non hi-so couple in Bkk?

banglassie

Hello, I'm sorry if this is a silly post and if it should have been posted somewhere else on the forum. But I have been searching the internet for most of the morning without finding any real nice spot. Actually I found a nice spot called "The Lake House", but they seem to have shut down. Sure, the Lake House was a bit pricy as well, but we don't really care about the price, but would more like to find a place that suits our style, which most hi-so places tend to not do and only leaves us feeling out of place and uncomfortable.

Today is out anniversary, and we (I) am looking for a place that could serve as a get-away from the bustling city within the city, i.e. ideal would be a place like the Lake House, which has loads of trees and flowers, running water and those northern style pyramid pillows that you'd find on any backpacker beach these days. We do live in Bangkok, but we are not big city folks. We would just like to find a place that feels like we get away from the city for the evening, best of all would be if they serve Thai food since my other half is quite picky regarding food ("Indian food smells", "Western food is either "yut yut"/tasteless or slimy and blablabla from cheese etc. Very very countryside Thai in other words...)

If anyone knows some hidden gems I would love to hear about them(!) We live quite close to the Ananda Samakhom Throne Hall in Dusit. But we have boats on Chao Praya from the Thewet boat station, or alternatively Pan fah station near Democracy monument. So we should have no problem getting anywhere within the city or to a BTS/MRT if that's the better route. There's usually terrible traffic jams here in the early evening as no-one seems to live here, although most government workers, military and others seems to leave at the same time in all directions. And having KSR and the backpacker area just 5-6 blocks down doesn't make traffic less intense.

All help from those being more familiar with other districts within this city than we are will be much appreciated!

Thanks for reading.

Edited by banglassie

Soi Rang Nam just of Victory Monument has a nice selection of restaurants. It's pleasant enough to stroll along until you see one that takes your fancy. Generally the quality is very high, and the prices very reasonable. Steaks, Thai, Isaan, Seafood BBQ, and an 'English' Pub are just some of the choices from memory.

I hope more answers will come through. When in BKK we stay with my in-laws by Democracy Monument so I look forward to benefitting from the answers to OP's question for the occasional special dinner myself. Sorry I cannot help but when we go out with my wife's family food is more important than atmosphere and there is no hesitation in driving miles, even to the coast, for a meal.

• Like 1

# Suk 11 on sukhumvit 11, Thai food

# Monsoon on sukhumvit soi 8, International

# Indigo on soi convent, French gastro food

# Le Bouchon, Patpong soi foodland, French

# Or why don't you do a special on top of Banyan Tree?

Edited by Travel Dude

Banyan Tree gets my vote - but I've not been there for many-a-year.

Lebua ?

Get her out-of-town, and go to PYI, in Soi 5, off 2nd Road, in Pattaya, and it's behind The International Hospital....... food is Classic Thai, and the Chef was previously a cook in The Royal Kitchen. Your taste-buds will thank you!...... They play nice Jazz there, too!

Very nice place but pretty Hi-so atmosphere. Not sure it would fit the OP.

This place meets your requirements, as for lovely, quiet setting. Prices are 'moderate' for what you get, which is exquisite Thai traditional with upbeat tastes and twists, by "Chef Pongtawat “Ian” Chalermkittichai -- Thailand’s first international “celebrity chef”."

Issaya Siamese Club

http://www.issaya.com/issaya-index.php#

4 ซอย ศรีอักษร

Chuea Phloeng Rd,

Thung Maha Mek,

Sathon, Bangkok 10120

Unreal cuisine!

Baan Nam Khieng Din restaurant
Utthayan
แขวง ศาลาธรรมสพน์ เขต ทวีวัฒนา
กรุงเทพมหานคร 10170, Thailand
Near Phutthamonthon Sai 4
This place is huge, every night always fully packed but not noisy or crowded. Make sure you get there around 5pm.
There are ponds and rivers going through the area with swans and rabbits and whatnots. The architecture is castle-like cottage atmosphere while the waitresses dress in Scottish type costumes. Very romantic, price is decent I think. 500ish per person? It depends what you order. The place can take up to 200-300 people I guess, but you will never feel crowded as the spots are positioned around the vast land.

(M) Retro Cafe Restaurant at Queen Sirikit center (at end by lake) MRT Queen Sirikit 1 station from sukumwit..

very good thai and international food and quite reasonable. nice atmos and live relaxing music.

You dont need to deal with a decor / motif about condoms either.

Edited by atyclb

Sizzler. It can have a surprisingly good ambiance. Or if you really want to push the boat out, MK, or if you want to pop the question, MK Gold.

And, I suppose, you would go to Mickey Dee's for your anniversary.

• 4 weeks later...