URGENT! No more real butter in Yok. Any other sources?

jaideeguy

I made a special trip into Yok for their real 100% butter.....5kilos @ less than 600THB and there was no stock and my wife read a notice saying that they were no longer stocking the real thing. I think the brand name was 'Home Fresh' and it came 5 kilos in a black cardboard box which lasted me for a few months.

They did have the same old fake butter with less than 50% butter and the rest being palm oil and plastics,,,,,,,,,,. Orchid, Alourie, and Angkor brands are NOT butter..........read the ingredients!!

Does anyone know of a source of real butter??

What or where is yok?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made a special trip into Yok for their real 100% butter.....5kilos @ less than 600THB and there was no stock and my wife read a notice saying that they were no longer stocking the real thing. I think the brand name was 'Home Fresh' and it came 5 kilos in a black cardboard box which lasted me for a few months.

They did have the same old fake butter with less than 50% butter and the rest being palm oil and plastics,,,,,,,,,,. Orchid, Alourie, and Angkor brands are NOT butter..........read the ingredients!!

What or where is yok?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Yok-Intertrade-Chiangmai/189568994423836

What or where is yok?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Yok-Intertrade-Chiangmai/189568994423836

Thanks!

Maybe using URGENT in a post headline should be reserved for real emergencies such as the call yesterday for blood for a young British woman injured in a road accident.

I am sure the butter crisis was very important to the original OP but in the greater scheme of things it is pretty trivial.

If the word urgent was only used for real emergencies it would act as an alert and most TV users would read the post and assist if the can.

What nonsense is this? Allowrie ( http://www.kimchuagroup.com/products/butter-spreads ), available is regular salted or unsalted; as well as DOZENS of spread varieties, is butter. Butter. And only Butter.

Sure the company says so on its website so it must be true.

I just looked at the Allowrie Pure Butter in the fridge and it's far from pure - 80% butter oil and the other 20% is "not butter" - 2% salt, 2% milk solids and I'm guessing the rest is water.

Hope you can find some pure butter before anyone dies there jaideeguy...

I would suggest that 2% salt and 2% milk solids and water, are all 'legitimate' additives. Australian food regulations actually Trump UK particularly with chocolate products. UK Cadbury has less cocoa butter, and can't be sold in Oz! Don't even get me started on the branded rubbish they fake, sorry make, in Indonesia. But I digress. Allowrie butter is butter, not some unholy mess With palm oil. My high school Science would indicate that butter without water would be butter dust. If you want farm churned in 2016, you'd pay a fortune back home too. Edited by dhream

What nonsense is this? Allowrie ( http://www.kimchuagroup.com/products/butter-spreads ), available is regular salted or unsalted; as well as DOZENS of spread varieties, is butter. Butter. And only Butter.

I just looked at the Allowrie Pure Butter in the fridge and it's far from pure - 80% butter oil and the other 20% is "not butter" - 2% salt, 2% milk solids and I'm guessing the rest is water.

I would suggest that 2% salt and 2% milk solids and water, are all 'legitimate' additives. Australian food regulations actually Trump UK particularly with chocolate products. UK Cadbury has less cocoa butter, and can't be sold in Oz! Don't even get me started on the branded rubbish they fake, sorry make, in Indonesia. But I digress. Allowrie butter is butter, not some unholy mess With palm oil. If you want farm churned in 2016, you'd pay a fortune back home too.

Why would churned butter be more expensive that reconstituted butter? Actually, the reverse should be true. Since you have to separate the butterfat from the butter. That's an extra step.The more steps, the more it costs. And then you've got to reconstitute the stuff. Even more steps. I just did a quick check on the cost of butter in Australia. In 2014 it was about US$4.00 per kilo. Which comes to about 144 baht per kilo.

I'm guesssing that the reason they reconstitute butter here is that it's cheaper than shipping it chilled.

I would suggest that 2% salt and 2% milk solids and water, are all 'legitimate' additives. Australian food regulations actually Trump UK particularly with chocolate products. UK Cadbury has less cocoa butter, and can't be sold in Oz! Don't even get me started on the branded rubbish they fake, sorry make, in Indonesia. But I digress. Allowrie butter is butter, not some unholy mess With palm oil. If you want farm churned in 2016, you'd pay a fortune back home too.

Why would churned butter be more expensive that reconstituted butter? Actually, the reverse should be true. Since you have to separate the butterfat from the butter. That's an extra step.The more steps, the more it costs. And then you've got to reconstitute the stuff. Even more steps. I just did a quick check on the cost of butter in Australia. In 2014 it was about US$4.00 per kilo. Which comes to about 144 baht per kilo.

I'm guesssing that the reason they reconstitute butter here is that it's cheaper than shipping it chilled.

You're guessing all right, reconstituted Butter the cost of setting up plant to do that (and still ship the ingredients) makes no sense! Raw ingredients maybe, butter, or any similar food, no. Also, If it's been reconstituted, it must by Australian law state that, it is either butter or a spread. There's no room for dodgy claims and games. Also by law ingredients must be listed in percentage order, if the highest 'ingredient' that's not butter oil is just 2% I think that qualifies as butter in most food legislation. Anything done by hand nowadays is 'artisanal' and the scale alone 'tiny' is what makes the price high, or luxury taxes, not freight.

I took a look at the ingredients listed for the Allowrie Butter and for Anchor Butter. For Anchor only one ingredient was listed in English and Thai: cream. For the Allowrie butter the ingredients listed were: Butter Oil 82% and skimmed milk powder 2%. And lecithin from soybeans but no percentage given. It also says its manufactured in either Indonesia or Malaysia. I forget which. So it seems the stuff is manfactured. Lecithin being the emulsifier.

I suspect that what happens is that some cream is of lower quality than other cream. Maybe wasn't stored properly or something bad got into the feed. ANyway, rather than discard it or feed it to the pigs, it's rendered into butter oil (ghee). Which is then sold to nations unfamiliar with high quality butter where it gets turned back into a simlacrum of butter. But that's just a guess. What is indisputable is that the stuff is manufactured.

Also, australian consumer protection law about spreads wouldn't apply here since what is exported was not butter, but butter oil.

Due to the rancid flavor of "butter" and something called "bread" I stopped eating both many years ago and was amazed at how much weight I lost.

In the last few years decent quality bread has become available but the butter-factor still remains elusive. Oh well, I've substituted butter with fresh homemade spreads and only eat the 'real' butter when back to the home-land.

Due to the rancid flavor of "butter" and something called "bread" I stopped eating both many years ago and was amazed at how much weight I lost.

In the last few years decent quality bread has become available but the butter-factor still remains elusive. Oh well, I've substituted butter with fresh homemade spreads and only eat the 'real' butter when back to the home-land.

Emborg butter is excellent.It was recommended to me by an old French pastry chef who lived and worked in Chiang Mai. It has the flavor of cultured European butter. It's made in Belgium. Anchor is also very good though not quite as flavorful as Emborg. I've never had a rancid pack of either brand and I prefer unsalted butter. It's harder to hide the flavor of rancidity in unsalted butter.

I took a look at the ingredients listed for the Allowrie Butter and for Anchor Butter. For Anchor only one ingredient was listed in English and Thai: cream. For the Allowrie butter the ingredients listed were: Butter Oil 82% and skimmed milk powder 2%. And lecithin from soybeans but no percentage given. It also says its manufactured in either Indonesia or Malaysia. I forget which. So it seems the stuff is manfactured. Lecithin being the emulsifier.

This makes it very easy; whatever language the label is in, if it has more than one ingredient listed, it's not butter (as we know it).

For 30 odd years I've taken the same approach with one of the few things I buy tinned - tomatoes. Any ingredients other than tomato/tomato juice means I don't buy it.

I suspect that what happens is that some cream is of lower quality than other cream. Maybe wasn't stored properly or something bad got into the feed. ANyway, rather than discard it or feed it to the pigs, it's rendered into butter oil (ghee). Which is then sold to nations unfamiliar with high quality butter where it gets turned back into a simlacrum of butter. But that's just a guess. What is indisputable is that the stuff is manufactured.

Also, australian consumer protection law about spreads wouldn't apply here since what is exported was not butter, but butter oil.

I did my own research over the weekend, you are correct. My apologies.

They are in fact reconstituting ingredients here, I have switched to Anchor upon discovering this, I trusted the Allowrie Label, more fool me, I should have learned with Cadbury, Mars, etc selling out to palm oil factories in Indonesia.

More dairy vigilance will be applied from now on!

I think many of us have been caught out with Allowrie - I mean, who would have thought butter could be anything but pure?

Mr K screwed his face up and went to a supermarket once for some reason just before Christmas and asked if I wanted anything while he was there. I told him triangle cheese. Laughing Cow, no flavours or low fat or anything, just Laughing Cow. Laughing Cow, OK? He came back with Allorwrie brand triangles because they were on sale and had a free pack of 5 cheese singles slices taped to them. As they were such a good deal he got 2. Maybe it's just that I'm used to the ones I like, but they were truly awful and the rubber cheese slices ended up being thrown away. (But they were a bargain though). They just didn't taste right, and lasted a lot longer than triangle cheese normally does when I'm around.

(Back in the early 1980's he ventured into a supermarket, alone, for probably the first time in his entire life. I had sent him for a couple of tins of beans, Heinz, no other brand, just Heinz. I know there are cheaper ones, but you don't like them, remember? Only Heinz. He came back with 3 tins of Home Brand pilchards because they were only eight and a half pence each (!) and 2 tins of Weight Watchers soup because it was half price (and which we gave to his nan when we packed up to go to New Zealand a few years later). I made him eat the pilchards, which he pretended to like. And he was so excited about finding such cheap food and good bargains that he forgot about the beans).

• 1 month later...
A slight up of this excellent thread to report the best source of real butter (imho) from France, natural, unsalted.

"President" manufactured by "Elle & Vire" which groups dairies production of Normandy and Brittany.

Sold 9.60b package of 2.5 kg.

Please note, the product is very often out of stock because it is often bought in bulk by restorers.

post-234089-0-78105900-1456734932_thumb.

A slight up of this excellent thread to report the best source of real butter (imho) from France, natural, unsalted.
"President" manufactured by "Elle & Vire" which groups dairies production of Normandy and Brittany.
Sold 9.60b package of 2.5 kg.
Please note, the product is very often out of stock because it is often bought in bulk by restorers.

Are you sure that President butter is manufactured by Elle et Vire? I thought they were competitors. Anyway, the photo is not of President butter but Elle et Vire Professional which is used mainly by pastry makers because it's higher in fat (lower in water) than standard butter.

As for which is best? I've tried both President and Elle et Vire and I still prefer the Emborg which is from Belgium. And Anchor butter is also an excellent product. I don't think it's a question of quality but just a matter of taste.

Are you sure that President butter is manufactured by Elle et Vire? I thought they were competitors. Anyway, the photo is not of President butter but Elle et Vire Professional which is used mainly by pastry makers because it's higher in fat (lower in water) than standard butter.

As to what is the best? I tried both president and She and Vire and I still prefer the Emborg who is from Belgium. And Anchor butter is also an excellent product. I do not think it's a question of quality but just a matter of taste.
Thanks you are right. I'm excited me about the brand President Although it is the direct competitor that produces the butter.
I will not comment on the details your preferences on taste. For me it is like Emborg I used previously but whose price is constantly increasing. The interest is to have a real butter in the freezer to price close sugary copie as Allowries. 77b for 200g
In this store also sells coffee beans Alti, pure Arabica b 400 / kg.
There are also a lot of wholesale products difficult to find elsewhere. Chocolate in all its forms, for example.
In short, a visit is highly recommended ...
Edited by happy Joe