Police probe video of mother beating 5-year-old son for not selling enough souvenirs

webfact

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a line in the sand for human behavior, regardless of culture. I could give a flying crap about

Thainess or TIT. If I see someone beating the crap out of a defenseless five year old, I am going to

stop it by force. And I do not care if there are 100 Thais around that person. If I did nothing, I could not go home , look in the mirror, and still consider myself a man.....

From the Khaosod article about this beating. Think the Thai police have lost the plot, or this happens

on a regular basis so no need to worry about it. So they are going to interview a 5 year old and

determine if some action on his part could have justified the beating? Sigh......

http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1403173856

'"We didn't intend to make any arrest. We want to find a solution and help them, because violence against children will imprint violent memories on the child. He may repeat the violence in the future and affect society on a wider scale," Pol.Maj.Gen. Sermkit explained. "That's why we want to [determine] what was the cause of the violence."

Edited by EyesWideOpen
  • Like 2

"We didn't intend to make any arrest. We want to find a solution and help them, because violence against children will imprint violent memories on the child. He may repeat the violence in the future and affect society on a wider scale," Pol.Maj.Gen. Sermkit explained. "That's why we want to [determine] what was the cause of the violence."

"We believe the family was stressed by their situation of poverty, and so [Kaew] committed violence against her child," said Mr. Wicharapon.

Yet again Thailand is 50 years behind the times, not that this is anything new to us. No arrest, after beating a 5 year old? Determine the cause of violence, as if it isn't that the child is a slave to parents to earn money?

Social Services in any Western country would have removed the child immediately, and the parents WOULD BE arrested.

Yet again, with all the concern for immigrant abuse, is the internal Thai child abuse ignored, as it is too threatening to the 'FACE' of Thailand.

Take the child away, NCPO, and start to set up PSYCHOLOGICAL support units for such children, and the mentally ill. It is not embarassing for humans to have ill-adjusted mental traits. Time you got REAL.

Are Social Services removing children the best answer?

From my own experiences someone intervening and stopping the beatings to be able to stay in a family home with all it's other positives aside from the beatings would have been more desirable than being removed at a young age and going through the upheaval and total bewilderment and psychological abuse of welfare and foster homes.

Not in many cases no Roadman.

I wasn't suggesting long term removal. However, momentary action MUST take place for the safety of the child, whilst the parent receives some form of treatment.

I made bold 'psychological' support.... something vividly lacking in this country... why? Because it loses FACE, and Thais believe there is something drastically wrong if you need to see a shrink... 50 years out of date yet again.

"We didn't intend to make any arrest. We want to find a solution and help them, because violence against children will imprint violent memories on the child. He may repeat the violence in the future and affect society on a wider scale," Pol.Maj.Gen. Sermkit explained. "That's why we want to [determine] what was the cause of the violence."

"We believe the family was stressed by their situation of poverty, and so [Kaew] committed violence against her child," said Mr. Wicharapon.

Yet again Thailand is 50 years behind the times, not that this is anything new to us. No arrest, after beating a 5 year old? Determine the cause of violence, as if it isn't that the child is a slave to parents to earn money?

Social Services in any Western country would have removed the child immediately, and the parents WOULD BE arrested.

Yet again, with all the concern for immigrant abuse, is the internal Thai child abuse ignored, as it is too threatening to the 'FACE' of Thailand.

Take the child away, NCPO, and start to set up PSYCHOLOGICAL support units for such children, and the mentally ill. It is not embarassing for humans to have ill-adjusted mental traits. Time you got REAL.

The key point in this post is the word parents. What is the father doing while all this is going on? She lost her job, but what is he doing? He is equally responsible for what happens to the kid.

• Like 1

" We didn't intend to make any arrest. "

WHY ?

I suppose, actually because there was nothing but an open hand used, which other than shock value and room for criticism, it's not as bad as other forms of abuse that many allege not seeing from inside glass houses.

Not only did she beat her son, but also finger poke his eyes, threaten to blind him and kill him. This happens often in 3rd world countries, even by my foster daughters grandmother until I wrote the childs school principal about the beatings, which he confronted the grandmother about, and she finally stopped, but her verble abuse continues to this day. The only relief and love the child receives is from me on weekend visits.

Hey All, this is my first post and I'm compelled to respond. I'm retired from a US Police Force and have been on numerous calls like this and far worse. A new child labor law needs to be enacted. Very easy to enforce. An officer sees a child under a particular age working in the streets, an arrest of the parent can be done right then and there. I do have compassion for poor families but a child of 5, oh please!

Also just wanted to thank all of you for all the information you have provided over the last several years.

Welcome

The child was slapped a bit, but not beaten. True though, no reason to beat anyone for that matter. Although. poverty can promote horrible stressful conditions.

Spectacular post you made, considering what you call yourself.

clap2.gif

(Sarcasm)

The mother is forcing her infant to work, and punish him when job not done well enough in her eyes, and you call it "slapped a bit".

The child was slapped a bit, but not beaten. True though, no reason to beat anyone for that matter. Although. poverty can promote horrible stressful conditions.

Good grief! And does the word extrapolation mean anything to you? Do you think it is beyond the realm of possibility that " slapping a bit " could gradually evolve into much worse should the financial pressures this woman is obviously experiencing increase further?

Are you for real?

Sorry "UbonRatch" but I'm afraid that many Social Service/ Child Welfare departments in Western Countries would do much the same as here.

You see, the "DO GOODERS" have been at work and would take the same lame attitude as is shown here, they'd try and "reason" with the mother and try to find what causes her to beat her baby. They'd keep on pondering these vexing questions until... surprise, surprise!!! one day they'll turn up to find the child DEAD.

Ah, but even then, the "DO-GOODERS" will try and justify how the poor woman simply lost control of her emotions and beat the kid to death in a desperate attempt to get someone to notice that SHE was suffering mental anguish.

In short..... the "DO-GOODER Syndrome," would seem to have spread from Western "CIVILIZATION" to the Wilds of Thailand!

clap2.gif

(Sarcasm)

The mother is forcing her infant to work, and punish him when job not done well enough in her eyes, and you call it "slapped a bit".

I made a distinction and yes he was slapped a bit, not beaten.Maybe you're lucky not to know the difference.Secondly, we don't know all sides of the situation. In addition, the police should be probing poverty. Spectacular is what is said about how authorities/gov't for the most part, look at the symptoms..not the cause. Why? They will find that they it starts with them.

clap2.gif

(Sarcasm)

I made a distinction and yes he was slapped a bit, not beaten.Maybe you're lucky not to know the difference.Secondly, we don't know all sides of the situation. In addition, the police should be probing poverty. Spectacular is what is said about how authorities/gov't for the most part, look at the symptoms..not the cause. Why? They will find that they it starts with them.

Freedom4life your blind. And your a fool.

The have caught up with the mother, father and child. No charges were laid. The mother stated that she was just disciplining her child like all parents do after her he threw a rock at another child splitting his head open. But the VDO clip, which was taken 2 months ago, looked worse than it actually was. The reason they fled was they were worried that the authorities would take her child away from her.

clap2.gif

(Sarcasm)

Some idiots try to defend the indefensible, point in question....

The have caught up with the mother, father and child. No charges were laid. The mother stated that she was just disciplining her child like all parents do after her he threw a rock at another child splitting his head open. But the VDO clip, which was taken 2 months ago, looked worse than it actually was. The reason they fled was they were worried that the authorities would take her child away from her.

What's your source?

I don't care how stressed you are, there is no excuse for violence against a small child, even more so when it is patently obvious the child is in extreme distress.

So violence against bigger kids is okay? Violence should never be an answer unless you are protecting yourself or others.