Give me a lift

angelsephemera

Gee, you can hire a songtael for no more than B250 to pick up the door and deliver to you after you call the shop owner!

I can possibly do it for you for free if you buy me a drink at the Pussy Cat Bar that's recently open, and that you are an American. But a drink may cost you more though!

"Anyone want to give me a ride"

Perhaps if you had worded you post a little more politely, you might have received some favourable replies.

Not so long ago I got a songtaew to pick me up at Rincome junction and go to Changklan to collect a washing machine, and bring me back home...200 baht! Get a songtaew, rather than relying on the generosity of fellow ex pats!

This is probably just my mean side showing itself, but I just can't believe this post!!

So, you can't get a taxi, or red truck or tuk-tuk, maybe only a red truck could carry your door ...for 150 baht round trip??? So, you decide that maybe some farang, with a car, but not really, because probably only a truck or SUV can fit your door in it, might want to do this job??

You think someone, who probably spent $40,000 or more on their SUV, which also doesn't get good gas mileage, might want to spend at least 2 hours (that is my prediction on how long it would take me very minimum, to drive to you, drive to the door, and drive you back home, and drive back to my home, in good traffic, not bad traffic) and we would do this, for maybe the minimum cost of gas on some kind of eco-car ..for a total stranger??

This need isn't because you have a very special need, that one of us farangs needs to help you with, like a medical emergency or some technical problem that requires special skills, but just because the Thai people want to charge you MORE than 150 baht, or the delivery service, costs more than you like?

I just can't believe you wrote this!! Frankly I can't believe you haven't gotten more responses.. Is everything okay with you or are you having some problems adjusting to your new life here? I mean this in a serious way, not a sarcastic way.

I agree with your sentiments, but don't share your emotion. If you are this upset, a more fun thing to do would have been to offer him the ride and not show up.

T

"Anyone want to give me a ride"

Perhaps if you had worded you post a little more politely, you might have received some favourable replies.

Not so long ago I got a songtaew to pick me up at Rincome junction and go to Changklan to collect a washing machine, and bring me back home...200 baht! Get a songtaew, rather than relying on the generosity of fellow ex pats!

Did the driver help you get washing machine into the house too? Probably since you have uncommon advantages in that you speak Thai and would show the driver respect.

Welcome back.

Edited by Dante99

When we made the decision to live here without a vehicle for the first time in our lives we realized we had to make certain concessions. For starters, it is not everyone else's responsibility to give us rides to where we want to go. Chiang Mai has a well established system of taxis, tuk-tuks, song-taews and willing people with vehicles for hire. Heck, we are on a first name basis with three people who operate major moving companies. As we Americans like say "this is one of those problems money can solve".

Do the math, we live in city center and get around on foot for most our needs. So what if we have to pay taxi or delivery charges once or twice a month? It's still cheaper than having a vehicle! I think the OP is out-of-line.

We are doing this too, and hire a car for a day once every few months to do a big shop at Makro and get anything too large to carry on the scooter or from places on the Superhighway or beyond. Takes a little planning, but it works well.

This is probably just my mean side showing itself, but I just can't believe this post!!

So, you can't get a taxi, or red truck or tuk-tuk, maybe only a red truck could carry your door ...for 150 baht round trip??? So, you decide that maybe some farang, with a car, but not really, because probably only a truck or SUV can fit your door in it, might want to do this job??

You think someone, who probably spent $40,000 or more on their SUV, which also doesn't get good gas mileage, might want to spend at least 2 hours (that is my prediction on how long it would take me very minimum, to drive to you, drive to the door, and drive you back home, and drive back to my home, in good traffic, not bad traffic) and we would do this, for maybe the minimum cost of gas on some kind of eco-car ..for a total stranger??

This need isn't because you have a very special need, that one of us farangs needs to help you with, like a medical emergency or some technical problem that requires special skills, but just because the Thai people want to charge you MORE than 150 baht, or the delivery service, costs more than you like?

I just can't believe you wrote this!! Frankly I can't believe you haven't gotten more responses.. Is everything okay with you or are you having some problems adjusting to your new life here? I mean this in a serious way, not a sarcastic way.

On a different day I would agree with you.

The same OP asked a few weeks back if he could borrow tools from anyone, as he didn't want to buy new and had nowhere to store them.

I offered to lend him what I had.

I liked his bare faced cheek to ask and thought ok if I can help someone progress their renovation I will get satisfaction myself.

I have infact lent him my tools and was immediately offered a helping hand when I start another project.

So whilst I agree with your sentiment I have found that treating people the Thai way many more doors and opportunities can also open up for you.

• Like 2

The same OP asked a few weeks back if he could borrow tools from anyone, as he didn't want to buy new and had nowhere to store them.

I liked his bare faced cheek to ask and thought ok if I can help someone progress their renovation I will get satisfaction myself.

I have infact lent him my tools and was immediately offered a helping hand when I start another project.

So whilst I agree with your sentiment I have found that treating people the Thai way many more doors and opportunities can also open up for you.

Hey, Eyecatcher,

Have you got a bottle opener in that tool box of your's you could lend me, please? Might as well throw in a couple of bottles of beer whilst your at it. Don't worry, next time your having some beers at your place, I'll be quite willing to lend you a hand drinking them. How's that for an offer w00t.gif

Most places that sell big stuff like doors , furniture, can deliver. If they didn't more than half of population wouldn't be able to buy the stuff. The business would suffer. Often they deliver for free locally.

The other week I bought 4m planks of wood, 3 m lengths of wood, 50 kg bag of cement, 60cm tiles. Global house delivered it to Chang Phueak area no problem. It wasn't free though, it cost 84 baht. They carried it off the truck into the house.

^ Yes Global charges by the kilometer. As I was some considerable distance away, I bought the same refrigerator

for Baht 10k less and free delivery from NihomPanich beside Toyota dealer on Chotana.

Hi Eyecatcher,

Well that was very nice of you! I didn't see that post, but am sure I wouldn't have had this same reaction. This just seems like a large amount of effort for someone else, for the OP to get a service that is readily available here, but just to get it for a few bucks cheaper. And actually the helper would be paying that extra cost in gas I am sure. Sort of along the lines of "I think electricity is too much here, anyone want to pay half my monthly bills?"

As compared to " I have a temp need of a wheelchair, could I borrow one" or various other things, like your tools. And personally, I just HATE driving here as I think many of us do. I would rather do the guy's ironing for 2 hours ...well maybe not, but close! But anyway, I think if you are also going to offer to PAY someone, it would be nice to err on the overly generous side for the fuel, or just accept the whole thing as charity.

I do try to help a few people who live near me, and who I remotely know at least, every chance I can, with a ride in my car to various places. Or after a social event, sometimes you know of someone who doesn't have transport and I will offer a ride home, etc. I hope I didn't make anyone feel bad who takes up those offers! That seems to me to be within normal social boundaries but this request just seemed a bit, not.

However, I am glad the OP is getting some help and hopefully will become a good friend over time!