DTAC telling me to change SIM - obligatory or not?

cmsally

Just had a call from DTAC telling me I have to change my SIM. It's a prepaid SIM with billing etc and I only use it for occasional calls but mostly to receive as its an old number which many people have me on.

Seems a little strange in that I have had for maybe 10 years or so and never had to change the SIM.

I told them I don't need the "14G" and "happy crunching game" they might be trying to offer me on a new SIM, I only used it to make the occasional call.

So she's then telling me that I have to change it as the signal to the old one will be cut. I then told her that's fine, don't need anymore, I'll discontinue. Then she sort of ran out of steam so I left it at that.

Nothing about this on the website I could find. Anyone know whats going on??

It's because they are trying to change people over to the new system and modern Sims. As the other poster said you keep the original number and any credit .. most DTAC stores can also transfer any numbers from the old to new Sim.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Some people can't help tripping over themselves.

Op: In your haste to object you have failed to recognise that nothing will change for you.. its just a sim change to one with a more modern chip.

Just stop off at any DTAC at your convenience and Swap the sim... it really is that simple...

No one is after you, no one is trying to trick you, no one is trying to rip you off... relax a little...

OP,

To be specific, ALL of the carriers are or will be going through frequency reassignment, meaning the SIM CARD has to be preprogrammed to know what MCC, MNC and frequency to use to communicate with the towers. While some of the most recent SIM CARDS are pre-programmed or can be remotely reprogrammed, OLDER SIMS CARDS are not compatible so these older cards will not be able to communicate using the new tower codes.

In some cases the carriers are transferring the contract to a new subsidiary company and modifying the terms of the accounts. You need to read the terms of the arrangement.

As has been said, visiting one of the carrier stores will get it sorted. Pull out the old SIM CARD, they fiddle with the account and issue you a new SIM CARD.

Know that there is a drop-dead date for the old service.

Your old SIM will not work after September. It is because the carriers are switching to the new 3G 2100 mghz system. I just went through the process today. I'm on AIS, who sent me new SIM card by mail, which I could supposedly activate online. However that would not work, so I went to Telewiz where they installed and activated the new SIM. There is no cost for any of it. You keep your old phone number and any pre-paid credit you have. The only difference is you have to register the new SIM, and provide ID. No more anonymity.

I bought my new phone about 3 months ago and had to go to the shop to replace the standard size sim to microsim which means they reprogrammed it at that time. Wonder if the new system is on it now as I have received no message or call from DTAC about changing? But then, the OP just got the call so guess will wait and see.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up.

Also, the junta have announced that they want to register all owner details of PAYG SIMS, so you might also be asked for them when you change.

That is since years, Thaksin did that....every sim and every user who connect to internet (like on free Wifi) must be registered.

Just almost no one cares about it.

Ah OK that makes sense but their staff on the phone don't seem to have a clue.

All a bit strange as when you look on some telecommunications info sites, seems the new "govt" has cancelled a lot of auctions/upgrades etc.

Actually can't help wondering if the whole system has gone a bit haywire, since last night my husbands phone (AIS network) seems to have been "hijacked" by a strange number. It seems to consistently ring my phone and house phone (maybe others in his contacts - don't know) although phone nothing happening. When you call that strange number back it goes to his phone.

We have never heard of that number, when you pick up nothing happens but you can hear background noise; nothing is happening on his phone. We call back that number and his phone rings, he picks up and its just like we called his number!!

All a bit strange as when you look on some telecommunications info sites, seems the new "govt" has cancelled a lot of auctions/upgrades etc.

The 3G auction finalized last year.

The 4G/LTE auction is the one that has been postponed.

Actually can't help wondering if the whole system has gone a bit haywire, since last night my husbands phone (AIS network) seems to have been "hijacked" by a strange number.

It seems to consistently ring my phone and house phone (maybe others in his contacts - don't know) although phone nothing happening.

When you call that strange number back it goes to his phone.

We have never heard of that number, when you pick up nothing happens but you can hear background noise; nothing is happening on his phone. We call back that number and his phone rings, he picks up and its just like we called his number!!

It does sound very strange. Two issues:

1) Phantom outgoing calls placed using his contact list?

2) Phantom outgoing calls come from unknown number, unknown number rings the mobile phone.

How often is it happening? Any predictable pattern?

Is is a Single or Dual-SIM phone?

It would be interesting to know if the phone is doing the phantom calling. Next time, be ready to pull his battery when your phone receive the next call. Does it kill/end the call? If so, it's his phone. If not...
Since Mobile phones and SIM Cards don't actually have telephone numbers fixed to them it sounds like an issue with the AIS network (maybe their network database has a glitch associating two phone numbers to his SIM IMSI)
(The SIM contains an IMSI: International Mobile Subscriber Identity that is used to get access to the mobile network. The carrier database then associates the IMSI and a telephone number in the user account)

I'd suggest calling AIS and explaining the dual-number issue to them.

Also, the junta have announced that they want to register all owner details of PAYG SIMS, so you might also be asked for them when you change.

That is since years, Thaksin did that....every sim and every user who connect to internet (like on free Wifi) must be registered.

http://news.asiainterlaw.com/thailands-nbtc-impose-new-system-register-prepaid-sim-cards/

It was in 2005 and remember going in to register and supplied my passport as ID. Below is an article for the 2005 requirement and reason for it.

Thailand: Mobile Phone Users Told to Register SIM Cards

Source: Thai Press Reports via NewsEdge Corporation

Created: June 24, 2005

Section: General News - Mobile phone users are being given six months in which to register their personal data under a government scheme aimed at cracking down on the use of mobile phones to detonate explosives in Thailand's southern border region.

More here - Securityinfowatch

The 3G auction finalized last year.

The 4G/LTE auction is the one that has been postponed.

Actually can't help wondering if the whole system has gone a bit haywire, since last night my husbands phone (AIS network) seems to have been "hijacked" by a strange number.

It seems to consistently ring my phone and house phone (maybe others in his contacts - don't know) although phone nothing happening.

When you call that strange number back it goes to his phone.

It does sound very strange. Two issues:

1) Phantom outgoing calls placed using his contact list?

2) Phantom outgoing calls come from unknown number, unknown number rings the mobile phone.

How often is it happening? Any predictable pattern?

Is is a Single or Dual-SIM phone?

It would be interesting to know if the phone is doing the phantom calling. Next time, be ready to pull his battery when your phone receive the next call. Does it kill/end the call? If so, it's his phone. If not...
Since Mobile phones and SIM Cards don't actually have telephone numbers fixed to them it sounds like an issue with the AIS network (maybe their network database has a glitch associating two phone numbers to his SIM IMSI)
(The SIM contains an IMSI: International Mobile Subscriber Identity that is used to get access to the mobile network. The carrier database then associates the IMSI and a telephone number in the user account)

I'd suggest calling AIS and explaining the dual-number issue to them.

It was really weird. Started about 11pm last night and continued all night . Between 11pm and 2am maybe 40-50 calls to either my phone or house phone.

The offending number turns out to be a DTAC pre paid. Strangely as soon as I reported this to both AIS and DTAC the calls stopped and now when you call that number it sounds as though switched off !!

Really weird.

Its a little like call forwarding (that number goes to husbands phone) although how can you explain the fact that number is calling our other phones.

Weird.

His phone is single SIM

It was really weird. Started about 11pm last night and continued all night . Between 11pm and 2am maybe 40-50 calls to either my phone or house phone.

The offending number turns out to be a DTAC pre paid. Strangely as soon as I reported this to both AIS and DTAC the calls stopped and now when you call that number it sounds as though switched off !!

Really weird.

Its a little like call forwarding (that number goes to husbands phone) although how can you explain the fact that number is calling our other phones.

Weird.

His phone is single SIM

Yes, how do you explain it calling your other phones.

Hopefully all the issues/quirks got resolved ...and it hasn't involve any Monks, envelopes, amulets or white string.

I may be mixing apples and oranges again, but if the need for a new SIM is to switch to 2100Mhz service, might the older phones be left out, as well, or has 2100Mhz been a fairly standard inclusion on cell phones sold in Thailand?