I won't resign, says Hodgson after England shocker

Jonathan Fairfield

glenn hoddle is mental and hasn't managed any kind of a team in about eight years. this is how desperate england are?

If the FA were to replace Hodgson with another englishman, they wouldn't have that many to choose

from that are young enough with playing and managerial experience apart from Hoddle.

Otherwise they would have to look for a foreigner.

Then the debate would be whether a foreigner should be the England manager?

the players are used to playing under managers of all nationalities at club level. there are, as you say, no good, young english managers. so the choice is appoint a crap manager because he is english or perhaps try and appoint a good manager, with top level experience and perhaps even a few trophies on his CV, who is not english.

there will be lots of english people who will insist on the former. because apparently having a manager who 'cares' is better than having one who is actually any good.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me run this thought past everyone.

How come Costa Rica managed to beat both Italy and Uruguay?

How come Argentina just about got past Iran with a 1 nil victory.

When you get to the world cup there are no easy teams.

Costa Rica do not have more talented players than Italy or Uruguay.

Iran do not have players in the calibre of Argentina.

Costa Rica and Iran got lucky?

Or were they organised and committed?

Costa Rica and Iran both have astute managers who understand the modern game.

Is Roy Hodgson of this calibre?

Maybe we'll get lucky against Costa Rica?

Never mind the talent pool, England need to load the dice in their favour with a world class manager.

At the moment we don't have one.

Costa Rica and Iran have players with hearts that give 110% in every game. And love playing for their country in the World Cup.

England so so

england players absolutely love playing for their country in a world cup. and the problem still wasn't lack of effort, it was lack of organization, coaching and tactical clue.

these costa rica and iran lads aren't just sprinting about 100mph thumping their chests in displays of mad patriotism you know. they're being sent out with defined tactical plans by their managers and they're executing them well.

Keep on blaming the manager. England and the English people have done that in nearly every world cup the last 30 years

• Like 1

Let me run this thought past everyone.

How come Costa Rica managed to beat both Italy and Uruguay?

How come Argentina just about got past Iran with a 1 nil victory.

When you get to the world cup there are no easy teams.

Costa Rica do not have more talented players than Italy or Uruguay.

Iran do not have players in the calibre of Argentina.

Costa Rica and Iran got lucky?

Or were they organised and committed?

Costa Rica and Iran both have astute managers who understand the modern game.

Is Roy Hodgson of this calibre?

Maybe we'll get lucky against Costa Rica?

Never mind the talent pool, England need to load the dice in their favour with a world class manager.

At the moment we don't have one.

Costa Rica and Iran have players with hearts that give 110% in every game. And love playing for their country in the World Cup.

England so so

england players absolutely love playing for their country in a world cup. and the problem still wasn't lack of effort, it was lack of organization, coaching and tactical clue.

these costa rica and iran lads aren't just sprinting about 100mph thumping their chests in displays of mad patriotism you know. they're being sent out with defined tactical plans by their managers and they're executing them well.

Keep on blaming the manager. England and the English people have done that in nearly every world cup the last 30 years

not really. they usually blame the england players' inability to take penalties. or failing that, the germans.

i've yet to see any kind of convincing defence of hodgson's performance at this world cup other than "well, he tried his best". and his best was woefully inadequate.

utter crap as usual i'm afraid. i'm sure you used to be a considered and interesting poster rix. you're all over the place these days.

Stevie, each and every time these days we get into a difference of opinion, you trot out this line lamenting how you no longer find my posts interesting. If i told you that i find your posts tedious and predictable, or full of "utter crap", would that make you sit up and think, blimey, i'd better pull up my socks here and start coming up with some stuff that rix will find agreeable? No? Well funnily enough the same goes for me.

players didn't play well. gerrard was awful. that make you happier? but he was doing what the clown hodgson told him to do. cahill and jagielka were poor, but they were left exposed by hodgson's amateurish tactics. johnson was crap (happy again? he's liverpool too by the way) as was baines, both also left utterly exposed by the manager's idiotic formation and players picked. and i know it goes against your pisspoor agenda here again but i thought welbeck had a decent first match. he doesn't play for liverpool FYI.

It would have made me happier if in all the various posts you have made until now about the England performances, you had made mention of the lack of quality of some of the players. Seems to me that it's a rather important factor in the results we got that would have bared mentioning. Bizarre that you didn't. Perhaps it is because although you now do accept that some of them didn't play well, you still don't really think they do bear any of the responsibility for their own performances. "It was the manager who made them play crap".

your bringing capello into it and trying to make this about them damn foreigners again is utterly irrelevant - hodgson is an incapable manager, he's failed at every top job he's been appointed to, he's had 21 jobs in 38 years - he is a doddering journeyman at best, a clueless charlatan at the worst. my thoughts on liverpool, capello and anything else have nothing to do with this other than in your misguided head i'm afraid.

It's perfectly revelant. SGE got us as far the the quarters, Capello got us as far as the second round, and Roy has got us as far as one quarters and one group stage. It's not exactly a wild difference in terms of success rate, is it. And yet you continually defended Capello and blamed the players, and now you are doing pretty much the exact reverse. And the fact that the current England squad has a lot of Liverpool players in it, and a manager who you hated with a passion long before the tournament started, is merely coincidental to you arriving at the conclusions that you have. Rubbish. Those conclusions were set in stone long before the first kick of the ball, as i predicted at the time.

^

It's academic.

FA will do nothing.

Hoddle is an oddball who has been out of the game for too long btw.

Mainly cos it would cost them a fortune.

England's management is incompetent at all levels....its great to watch!

• Like 2

^

It's academic.

FA will do nothing.

Hoddle is an oddball who has been out of the game for too long btw.

Mainly cos it would cost them a fortune.

England's management is incompetent at all levels....its great to watch!

You just wait you miserable Spurs and Scotland supporter. smile.png

Greg Dyke ( is he Scottish or Dutch? ) says England are going to win the World Cup in ........2022. w00t.gif

So there.

We will have the advantage of the Qatar climate in our favour too.

smile.png

If a Scandinavian team want him as their manager, fine.

The sooner he disappears (again) from our shores the better.

You're wrong in so many ways .

Always blaming the managers when things goes wrong , changing manager or even the FA will not help England. You do not have world class players in all positions of the team .

Can you imagine Premier League with only English players , that would have been very boring to watch .

Edited by balo

If a Scandinavian team want him as their manager, fine.

The sooner he disappears (again) from our shores the better.

You're wrong in so many ways .

Always blaming the managers when things goes wrong , changing manager or even the FA will not help England. You do not have world class players in all positions of the team .

Can you imagine Premier League with only English players , that would have been very boring to watch .

Name a well known world class Costa Rican. smile.png

Ask Thierry Henry for further elucidation.

coffee1.gif

1) There is no passion in the England players- you can see the difference when you watch USA, Iran, Aussies etc playing.

2) England has no world class stars- no messi or ronaldo or suarez. Rooney is a mid level ability international striker. Sterling may be a future star name.

Edited by ExpatJ
  • Like 2

The possibility exists that the England players are over coached and overly disciplined.

Contrast the Dutch team last night. Abundance of energy.

One might call into question the physical preparation too?

I digress from the topic, but if you look at it holistically, it could all be related.

Roy Hodgson will definitely not get a job as manager with a top Premier league club, that's for sure.

That's probably why he's quite happy to preserve his big money job with the FA.

1) There is no passion in the England players- you can see the difference when you watch USA, Iran, Aussies etc playing.

2) England has no world class stars- no messi or ronaldo or suarez. Rooney is a mid level ability international striker. Sterling may be a future star name.

Nor does Costa Rica.

Nor does Costa Rica.

But Costa Rica have passion and heart

• Like 1

I see in a Swedish news paper, that Svennis claims Hodgson would never ever had kept his job, if it was not for the fact he is an Englishman.

Svennis also wants to come back and finish what he started, with the national team.

http://www.expressen.se/sport/fotbollsvm/svennis--darfor-far-roy-behalla-jobbet/

The FA should dig up Brian Clough and give him the England job that he should have had years ago. More passion in a dead Cloughie than Dopey dwarf Hodgson.

Exactly. And he'd probably know more about the modern game too.

Appreciate the reality that there aren't many options out there

But Prandelli for me shows how to admit you aren't good enough with some grace

Instead we are treated to another slice of the Owl's relegation-honed 'expectation management' post match specials

'Gave us something to cheer about' ?

Progress my arse. Ambition my hole.

Those comments riled me. He's my version of the Pink Panther. He's been sent to try me :(

redknapp, allardyce and bruce. after that you're into the lower divisions and guys like nigel clough.

There is nothing wrong with looking at the lower divisions. That is where the real management is done. They can't just buy their successes. I don't know about Clough though?

jb1

Anyway, we are stuck with him til 2016.

Then what happens?

I don't see what all the fuss is about having to appoint an Englishman.

USA have a German manager, and a bldy good one too.

I really don't get it.

And as a poster has already said, we had the Italian Capello.

Edited by P45Mustang