Robbed by landlord - what should I do?

skyhi

Well, as you used Jai-dee (which is Thai hooker talk) in a post, I made an assumption.

It's really best not to use Thai words if you don't know much Thai (or learn your Thai words in a bar).

I guess google translate employs a lot of hookers?

ใจดี
kind, good, benign, hospitable, gentle, genial
  • Like 2

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, as you used Jai-dee (which is Thai hooker talk) in a post, I made an assumption.

It's really best not to use Thai words if you don't know much Thai (or learn your Thai words in a bar).

I guess google translate employs a lot of hookers?

ใจดี
kind, good, benign, hospitable, gentle, genial

Type any commonly used Thai phrase into google translate.

How many times did it make a sensible translation?

Ask google translate what "hoi" means?

Ask google translate what "kan hoo" means?

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

I can tell you a Thai stole it. This is the standard way to steal cash here, take some, not all and leave some behind and hope the owner doesn't notice. If a farang stole it, he/she would have taken all.

Landlord much less likely than Thai b/f in my opinion.

wai2.gif

I can tell you a Thai stole it. This is the standard way to steal cash here, take some, not all and leave some behind and hope the owner doesn't notice. If a farang stole it, he/she would have taken all.

wai2.gif

Nah,

Brit bf took it to pay for soapy massages, didn't take all because he thought you wouldn't count it before he put it back, but you discovered the loss and blamed landlord, so no need for him to pay back now. Job done!

Born normal turned into liars they are; who do they learn these traits from I wonder who is their role model?

Remember thieves want an easy steal so if you don't have a proper safe, at least lock it in a bag and I only do that AFTER the room has been cleaned for the day if staying at a hotel.

Do you even have a bank account? Was that "all your money." I would say if the BF is living paycheck to paycheck and doesn't have any in the bank; he would be a suspect. Foolish to keep that much money in a drawer. I don't even get 1000 thb notes at the bank, when I make my weekly withdraw. It's a "just a moment" at many darn good thai restaurants to get change. I even pay BKK Bank 12 thb to pay my condo fee/water bill online, because it provides another layer of transaction record, and I don't have to be concerned with the office manager being out to lunch or closed early, even though she is super reliable.

Landlords make money with pen and paper; burglary is not their MO. So I suppose now that your LL stole form you; you can't pay rent.

Here is an interesting story of a teacher in China, who crashed his motorbike and was having cash flow problems. He stole from a co-worker, and wound up making Christmas Lights.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/parallels/2014/05/29/314597050/u-s-teacher-i-did-seven-months-of-forced-labor-in-a-chinese-jail

His quota was only 3000 lights per day, because they know us Americans are slackers.

My father always used to say I was lucky. I said I work hard to make my luck. Same with relationships - I work at it to treat my partner kindly and with respect, and that does rub-off. Having jai-dee (from their POV) makes it more likely that a girl will ask for money rather than take it. And if I can't, I'll make it quite clear that my pension isn't due for say another two weeks, and we must be careful. That also seems to work.

Naive? Well, I mostly think the best of people until they prove me wrong. Like on here...

Lucky, or too daft to know when someone is stealing from you?

Who can tell?

Thanks for providing your perspective on this and other areas, AOA. I've been pondering the above post, and now that I think about it, the only times I've heard Jai dee has been from a bar girls or massage girls (I know, quite often the same). I've never heard it from Thais not employed in those businesses.

• Like 1

wai2.gif

So it could have been worse then. Which do you rate higher, clever farang thief that would take it all , or the stupid Thai thief that leaves you some? I must be moving in the wrong circles, having not been robbed yet in Thailand, whereas you seem to have a fair bit of experience.

Seems a valuable but cheap lesson. Don't leave money easy accessible and complain when it goes missing. If 4000B is a lot of money for you than treat it like a lot of money. I would move asap and forget about it.

Soory no sympathy from me. Hope you learn as this will happen in your country as well.

My dear skyhi,

The most obvious solution provides the correct answer here.

Your landlord was in the room while you were not in attendance. He took 8000 baht and left 4000 baht in the envelope.

He left you the 400 baht because some Thais beleive all farangs are rich and some very stupid, so you would not notice the money was gone.

Or he left 4000 baht because he reasoned that if you glanced at the envelope you would believe all your money to be in its place and would not count it.

Ignore the conspiracy theroists and their bitter self experience barbs about your partner possibly being responsible. You have shared funds already so why would he steal from himself?

What can you do about it? You can move.

Can you get your money back? No.

Can you vacate the toom and leave some fresh fish well hidden somewhere? Yes.

wai2.gif

So it could have been worse then. Which do you rate higher, clever farang thief that would take it all , or the stupid Thai thief that leaves you some? I must be moving in the wrong circles, having not been robbed yet in Thailand, whereas you seem to have a fair bit of experience.

I am not judging, simply observing. When Thais steal cash, they generally do not take all. It is like a learned way of doing things, taught to them. Perhaps it is the "middle way", I don't know. If you want to know why they do it like that, ask a Thai.

p.s. you calling me a thief?

Smart enough to have learnt to speak reasonable Thai but dumb enough to leave cash lying around - does not compute - but anyway, sorry for your loss.

There is nothing you can do believe me except learn and move on - you would lose even if you had a video of the person taking it, because that is just the way things are - if you make a fuss you may end up losing a great deal more than 8k............good luck anyway.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

My father always used to say I was lucky. I said I work hard to make my luck. Same with relationships - I work at it to treat my partner kindly and with respect, and that does rub-off. Having jai-dee (from their POV) makes it more likely that a girl will ask for money rather than take it. And if I can't, I'll make it quite clear that my pension isn't due for say another two weeks, and we must be careful. That also seems to work.

Naive? Well, I mostly think the best of people until they prove me wrong. Like on here...

I still have trouble seeing your post describing just where you hide your valuables for all to SEE. With your picture as your avatar perhaps you could post your address as well and your daily schedules. Just to make it convenient for some that will stand in line to.....

Sorry, just thinking.

wai2.gif

I am not judging, simply observing. When Thais steal cash, they generally do not take all. It is like a learned way of doing things, taught to them. Perhaps it is the "middle way", I don't know. If you want to know why they do it like that, ask a Thai.

p.s. you calling me a thief?

No just someone who has more experience of them than me. Why that is, I don't know.

Where are all the Sherlock Holmes....Dont think your partner or landlord that stupid.

How about he has office where keys are hung and maybe partner/wife, cleaner, family member etc. have access.

Thais usually never work alone when he entered he may have left a worker in room while he went to get special tool etc.

i am sure there are many other scenarios.

Small amount. next time think laterally, hide under mat or carpet, pull bottom drawer out and place in cavity or tape underneath drawer etc.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I still have trouble seeing your post describing just where you hide your valuables for all to SEE. With your picture as your avatar perhaps you could post your address as well and your daily schedules. Just to make it convenient for some that will stand in line to.....

Sorry, just thinking.

Well that was when I lived in a condo apartment in Pattaya. There was a spate of robberies, with robbers jemmying open doors. a temporary solution until I had a new lock welded. But point taken.

Lucky, or too daft to know when someone is stealing from you?

Who can tell?

Thanks for providing your perspective on this and other areas, AOA. I've been pondering the above post, and now that I think about it, the only times I've heard Jai dee has been from a bar girls or massage girls (I know, quite often the same). I've never heard it from Thais not employed in those businesses.

I know a girl whose surname on facebook is Jaidee or is that just another nickname?

Always best to remain present during any work in your home, ultimately you're responsible for your possessions and valuables.

If there's no other possible way the money could have gone astray then I would exercise my right to find a new place and relocate there. Alternatively, have a strongbox in the wardrobe for security.

wai2.gif

Nah,

Brit bf took it to pay for soapy massages, didn't take all because he thought you wouldn't count it before he put it back, but you discovered the loss and blamed landlord, so no need for him to pay back now. Job done!

AOA is consistently daft whether offering Thai to English (UK) Google translations or be it off-hand disparaging remarks assuming guilt of British BF or presumably any other nationality BF, with the exception of God's own sons...The Americans !

• Like 1

Agreed with posters above. There is no way to know who took your money. Burglars are very adept at entering and exiting homes without leaving a trace. And taking part of the money and not all of it is not uncommon. The hope is that you won't notice it right away or you will attribute it to accounting errors. I had a burglar enter my house and steal just money once too, although there were other things they could have stolen. Most do it to fuel drug or gambling addictions and want the easy money and are too lazy to pawn things, plus money is untraceable. But still, are you are 100% sure nothing else is missing?

I still think you might want to make a police report. Don't expect there to be any follow up, but at least it would become a burglary stat in your area which helps the police be aware of problem areas, perhaps help identify if there is a serial burglar in the area, and help in the allocation of resources. It also gets you on record as having lost the money in case they catch a burglar later that, during the course of interrogation, admits to burglarizing your house. Then you would get you money back.

A small pedanticism...a "robbery" is when someone uses force or fear of bodily harm to extract money or objects from someones possession. What you have here is a burglary or theft, depending on the circumstances.

A friend of mine who lives in Cincinnati, Ohio thought locking your doors was for other people (high end neighborhood). He and his wife started noticing small things went missing over time. Each thinking the other moved or forgot where they had put it. It turned out it was a local drug addict who would go into their area of town and enter the home. He would take small amounts of money and jewelry not to raise suspicion. How he caught him was to clear space in the garage (it was full) and park his car inside. After his wife went to work it was not long before the burglar entered the house. He has a gun permit and detained him till the police arrived,

Unless it wasn't your Western BF dipping into the funds and not telling you, you've experienced the classic Thai cash theft, they often take as much as possible but leave a balance that softens the blow so that you may feel less inclined to take the crime further than the bare basics. Typical Thai hotel safe cash scam is the thai will steal all your cash from the safe and later on after your complaints but before a police report, your money will have been found by the hotel, less 50% cut, you are annoyed that half is gone but releaved some is returned at the same time

Your landlord left you a balance in the thai style. Next time do not leave your cash laying around ANYWHERE in the world, least of all the country of thieves and liars

And yes it's true the Thais steal from each other whever possible. In fact it must just be a SE asian thing. My sister in law had a wedding in Bali, her sister in laws (husbands side) stayed with them in their hotel suite as they are still in university and have no money (university of which is funded by her brother, the groom). My sister in law had an envelope of cash in the room about $850 in Indonesian money which was cash gifts from the guests, including ours. About $300 of that went missing the day after the wedding, our sister in law was quite upset as she had it in her bag the whole time and her bag was only ever on her person or in the room during the night. She was discussing with my wife and she believed that one of the grooms sisters must have taken it, as it's not the first time they have been suspected and or caught of dipping into their brothers wallet or stealing things from the house. But she couldn't accuse and risk ruining the happy tone of the wedding that just occurred. She did a test the following night, left exactly $50 equivilant Indonesian money in her purse, with the bag slightly open in the room, she went for a shower, did some odds and sods, came back to the living room where the Only people there were her 2 sister in laws.. as expected, the purse was short $20 equivilant.

Weird thing is though She did not report it to her husband, only complained to my wife about it. I imagine the test was just to check, for future reference. And to know to be more causious. And worst of all, those 2 sister in laws are now currently staying with them in their house, to save on dormitory costs.

Asians will be asian

• Like 1