Work Permit - Degree or just resume?

Been offered a promotion with my firm (who employ 600 + people on the Eastern Seaboard). I've over 10 years experience in my managerial role with my company and have gained work based qualifications along the way. However, I don't have a university degree. How much of a problem could this be with regards to gaining a work permit?

My understanding is that work permit requirements differ depending on the type of work. In some cases (computer programmer) you need to be considered an expert, expert means uni degree + 2 years exp or no uni but 5 years exp, not sure about your field but 10 years experience will cover you I think

• Like 1

Generally not necessarily equipped, but as mentioned you have to show why this job can't be done by a Thai. Your HR department should know this, and given you have been working here for 10 years it is unlikely to be an issue

• Like 1

My understanding is that work permit requirements differ depending on the type of work. In some cases (computer programmer) you need to be considered an expert, expert means uni degree + 2 years exp or no uni but 5 years exp, not sure about your field but 10 years experience will cover you I think

From my understanding of the process the job description determines whether a degree is needed or not.

• Like 1

To obtain a work permit with the job description of general manager, I had to supply proof of education. I would advise the OP just to supply a copy of the last diploma he obtained at home, lacking a university degree it could be anything he did and finished after secondary school, or lacking that even the secondary school diploma. You need to show some kind of paper to satisfy the requirements.

• Like 1

From my understanding of the process the job description determines whether a degree is needed or not.

That's true - teachers, for example, are expected to have degrees.

As Keestha has pointed out, at a minimum you do need to show some kind of educational or professional qualification in addition to a CV.

• Like 1

You have to have a degree if you want to get a workpermit as a teacher. This is not the requirement of the labour office but the teachers council. No letter from the teachers council no work permit. However, I dont think this is a requirement for all jobs in Thailand.

The Labour office does require copies of education certificates but they dont specify a degree.

In most cases your employer should provide a letter of employment and a letter stating the reasons that you are being employed for i.e skills and years of experience etc.

• Like 1

Fitzpaam

I've been worked in Thailand for 30 years as Technician and now retired.

You will need a non-immigrant B visa and a work permit to work.

You can not get a work permit on a retirement stay.

There is no regulations that requires you to have a degree to get a work per,it, although your employer might want to see one.

• Like 1

I am totally I the dark and would appreciate some constructive advice

I have approached a university with the view of tutoring a diploma on sustainability (happy to teach English to both local and international students as another subject) ….

Am discussing with an Australian university about the diploma having a credit to an associated under/post graduate or master in related areas.

However, having translation problems

I am totally I the dark and would appreciate some constructive advice

I have approached a university with the view of tutoring a diploma on sustainability (happy to teach English to both local and international students as another subject) ….

Am discussing with an Australian university about the diploma having a credit to an associated under/post graduate or master in related areas.

However, having translation problems

"However, having translation problems "

Translating what, for whom? An Australian university in Thailand? Tutoring Thai students doing a course by correspondence?

Not sure what "tutoring a diploma having a credit to associated" ... means? An existing diploma course that leads to credit for a degree program? Students enrolled in an existing course?

If you want constructive advice, possibly you need to clarify what it is you are trying to accomplish and what needs to be translated for whom ... and maybe some background on your qualifications.

Edited by Suradit69

Seconded - likely no problem. The place I manage employs foreigners, and all we have to do is show that they have skills and experience that is of value and hard to find locally. I've never heard of a WP application being declined because the applicant did not have a degree.

The only caveat here would be that, in Thailand, officials tend to enforce different requirements and interpret the rules in different ways. What happens at one government office may not be the same as another.

Our company (a BOI company) recently employed a Canadian as a Chief Technical Officer / Chief Engineer. He is in his 50's and he's worked in that position for the last 25 years and has references, an amazing CV, he ticks all the boxes. The WP was refused as we did not submit any educational documents of his. We then went back with a high school diploma and he was immediately issued a two year WP.

Pretty crazy really and completely illogical.

Edited by josephbloggs
  • Like 1

Doesn't make much sense but I guess that's the way it can go......I'll submit all the education papers I have come the time to prepare the WP (won't be over there till Sep approx). Thanks for sharing these experiences folks - it's giving me a good flavour of things to come

Fitzpaam

I've been worked in Thailand for 30 years as Technician and now retired.

You will need a non-immigrant B visa and a work permit to work.

You can not get a work permit on a retirement stay.

There is no regulations that requires you to have a degree to get a work per,it, although your employer might want to see one.

@ Poor Sucker; You can also get a work permit if your on an extension based on marriage to a Thai.

None, employer simply has to list why you, a foreigner, is required rather than a Thai.

Obviously do quote any relevant qualifications, but a degree is certainly not mandatory for a Work Permit.

Correct.

Like you, I have many years experience (and all but a few general ed credits to my bachelors degree) and I got my work permit without any problems.

But I did give them my transcripts showing the courses I completed.