Public input to be welcomed : Prayuth

Lite Beer

NATIONAL REFORM
Public input to be welcomed : Prayuth
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Public opinion will be included with the opinions of academics and political parties to help conclude national reform, the junta chief said yesterday.

The ruling National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) will receive opinions via telephone, mail and websites, General Prayuth Chan-ocha said in his weekly television programme last night.

Eleven issues will be tackled including corruption, fixing the election system and the checks and balances for justice and independent bodies, as well as solving economic and social inequality.

Prayuth said the NCPO had conducted in-depth interviews with about 25 experts, academics, and representatives of political parties including the leaders of rival parties.

Another 25 people will be interviewed, he said, adding that the focus group would be conducted later.

He said all opinions would be collected to create a list of common proposals on issues.

The process would be done by next month before setting up a national reform council. The reform council would be selected by representatives from all relevant parties.

He said emergency issues such as political and justice system reform, which had created conflict in the past, would be solved within a year.

Long-term reforms might need a social contract from relevant parties that states the next government must work towards their permanent implementation.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-21

• Like 1

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I note in yesterdays news :

Posted Yesterday, 15:36

Abhisit say reform council must exclude conflict parties

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said Friday that the reform council must exclude affected parties because it will have to draft new rules.

He said he has not heard about details of the reform council yet. He said anyone in the reform council should have no conflict of interest.

Abhisit said members of the reform panel should be prohibited from holding political positions for a certain period.

xnationlogo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.k-Kc5cy-DD.
-- The Nation 2014-06-20

That would mean that all politicians or wanabe politicians are excluded.

And the 'certain period' should be life.

Anyone want to argue with that ?

• Like 1

No transparency, no public information. But comments and suggestions are welcome by the Thai military determining all that Thailand needs to know to be happy.

Give us your views but just be careful what you say.

• Like 2

There are a huge list of reforms that need to be put in place and if we wait till they are all in place before an election is held then it would be years in the future.

There are however some reforms that must be done before an election is held.

Those are the ones that would clean up the process to keep crooked people out of parliament and the senate and to make the election process free from bribery and intimidation.

I understand there are already laws in place that are supposed to do this, such as section 102 of the constitution, however these need strengthening and enforcing before an election.

Identifying exactly what needs to be done in this area should be a priority.

If I read Abhisits suggestion correctly he is saying that a reform body should consist of those without conflict of interest and that the members of that body be banned from political appointment.

Not that any sector should be banned from putting forward ideas or suggestions.

and although there will eventually be a new elected government - they should be severely restricted as to what they can do during the first term, perhaps some items in the constitution removed/suspended for a set time period like amendment rules - no more amnesty bills or 2 trillion baht off budget loans or trying to pass bills through in the middle of the night

Special boards set up to protect judicial and institutional budgets so the they cannot be cut like PTP did without independent approval and there would need to be very good evidence to support such cuts

Independent review boards for police and departments like the DSI to investigate malpractice and corruption with far reaching powers

Edited by smedly

I note in yesterdays news :

Posted Yesterday, 15:36

Abhisit say reform council must exclude conflict parties

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said Friday that the reform council must exclude affected parties because it will have to draft new rules.

He said he has not heard about details of the reform council yet. He said anyone in the reform council should have no conflict of interest.

Abhisit said members of the reform panel should be prohibited from holding political positions for a certain period.

xnationlogo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.k-Kc5cy-DD.

-- The Nation 2014-06-20

That would mean that all politicians or wanabe politicians are excluded.

And the 'certain period' should be life.

Anyone want to argue with that ?

The way I read Abhisit's statement was:

There should be no one on the council that has been involved in the recent protests/conflicts.

When the reform council has finished its job, then everyone involved is banned from being a politician for a certain period of time to prevent them personally gaining anything from the changes.

I think this is being done to a certain amount of success already , I think that TVF has been looked at from various people, with the knowledge that to get strong idea's you need input from outside , clandestine ways are sometimes the best way.clap2.gif

There's a lot of smart guys and Thai-experienced guys on TVF. It wouldn't hurt to form a committee to accept our own lot of suggestions and refine them down to form a bullet-point petition of ideas to correct the main issues, and present it to Gen. Prayuth.

I know the nay-sayers will be all "He'll never listen to farangs", and "We'd never get a consensus", however, to the first point I'd say that 1. It's worth a try, 2. If you don't try you will certainly not succeed, 3. Gen. Prayuth appears to be actually quite worldly in his approach and has been quite "unThai" at times, and 4. The General is smart enough to know that although not part of the electorate, the condensed views of tens of thousands of worldly and Thai-experienced people is worth a read, and to the second obstacle, well, that's why there's a committee, to find a consensus on the issues.

Maybe a special TVF subforum to accept suggestions and nominations for committee members? A subforum strictly only for submissions, with no replies, quotes or debate.....the committee do the debating based on the submissions. After submissions close, the forum is view-only to non committee members while the committee debate publicly.

Even if it doesn't bear fruit, it would be an interesting excersise.

Good post Sea.

I believe that it would be better to narrow down areas that affect us and then hear views from the forum.

I have submitted reports to Govt. Committees, when no invitation existed and have been heard. Done with respect for the country and its people I am sure we would get the General's ear.

Indeed, with respect and concern for the country.

The thing is, even done just as an excersise here on TVF, the final petition/report would probably be read by important people anyway, without us formally offering it to the powers that be. If so, ideas may be more readily adopted because they did not come from us, (wink wink, nudge nudge) In fact, it may be a more wise course of action to NOT formally submit it.

The idea of a select committee only debating and formulating the report means that good ideas will not be lost in all the rabble arguments and petty infighting that occurs on a normal thread.

I nominate you, Chris, to be on the committee.

• Like 2

Public opinion is welcome, just so long as no-one criticises the coup, or off to prison you go ...

As long as Thailand has tourists like you it will take longer than necessary to pull it out of the mire. Did you see the General on TV last night-and listened to what he said NO, your too interested to slag him off.

• Like 1

I've an idea for getting people input.

Let people propose some changes, and then let all Thai people vote for the people that propose the best changes and let those people lead the country.

Like last time ???

Public opinion is welcome, just so long as no-one criticises the coup, or off to prison you go ...

As long as Thailand has tourists like you it will take longer than necessary to pull it out of the mire. Did you see the General on TV last night-and listened to what he said NO, your too interested to slag him off.

I saw him and it was okay. It was a scripted speech to the Nation and obviously to non native speakers. He was hardly going to come out and say anything controversial! Anyone can stand in front of a camera and read of an auto cue, however the real results need to be seen.

• Like 1

I'll listen to what you say, so long as you agree with me. If you don't, then I'll get my men to terrify you into shutting up.

Another kids post, I see you don't want to know with your over the top post. Biased to the extreme .

• Like 2

I saw him and it was okay. It was a scripted speech to the Nation and obviously to non native speakers. He was hardly going to come out and say anything controversial! Anyone can stand in front of a camera and read of an auto cue, however the real results need to be seen.

I agree but will say this and I know it's covering old ground, but when did the last government speak at length on live TV to announce mega changes to the better running of the country.?? Did the learned PM ever have the brain to do it.??

I agree but will say this and I know it's covering old ground, but when did the last government speak at length on live TV to announce mega changes to the better running of the country.?? Did the learned PM ever have the brain to do it.??

Ginjag,

Governments cannot do it as there are processes and procedures to follow which dont allow sweeping changes to countries without much scrutiny, legal changes and tooing and frooing. The only reason the Junta can even try and make sweeping changes as they have swept away all of those scrutinizing bodies and do what they please.

Not always to say this is going to be a bad thing, but it does take a massive leap in faith that they will do things properly, and whichever way you want to coat it, their track record is not great. I stand to be corrected but in terms of time since 1932, military governments have probably been in power longer than civilian ones, which if that is correct, the armed forces have to take a large share of the blame for where the society is today.

Many of the things they need to change are so ingrained, that it is questionable that they can do anything about them.

What a stupid thing to ask...Input welcome as long as its in line with current thinking by a certain group they mean .... Hmmm

Quite an outrageous biased view OAK. What a stupid thing to say ??? who you ??? Input feedback necessary, without it up to now he would not have made the decisions he has.

Give him more than a month man be fair---3 years of misery and no progress and your complaining after 1 month and mega changes are already implemented.

Ginjag,

Governments cannot do it as there are processes and procedures to follow which dont allow sweeping changes to countries without much scrutiny, legal changes and tooing and frooing. The only reason the Junta can even try and make sweeping changes as they have swept away all of those scrutinizing bodies and do what they please.

Not always to say this is going to be a bad thing, but it does take a massive leap in faith that they will do things properly, and whichever way you want to coat it, their track record is not great. I stand to be corrected but in terms of time since 1932, military governments have probably been in power longer than civilian ones, which if that is correct, the armed forces have to take a large share of the blame for where the society is today.

Many of the things they need to change are so ingrained, that it is questionable that they can do anything about them.

Not much scrutiny and accountability ever shown over the last 3 years, Yingluck--did she ever lead the nation or even try---their track record must be worst in history. 1932 since then?? every citizen has to take their share of the blame for voting in crap governments for them to have to be thrown out by the military---that's the track record of the Thai people.

The top priority should be a plan to return to civilian government. How to get the military out of politics? Second, privatise state enterprises (when there are fewer resources for corruption corruption will decrease). Third, survey real property of government and military officials. If a colonel or a politician has a Jaguar or fancy house on a civil servant salary, then there must be a presumption of corruption. Then trials and long prison stays.

The top priority should be a plan to return to civilian government. How to get the military out of politics? Second, privatise state enterprises (when there are fewer resources for corruption corruption will decrease). Third, survey real property of government and military officials. If a colonel or a politician has a Jaguar or fancy house on a civil servant salary, then there must be a presumption of corruption. Then trials and long prison stays.

Watching the general last night would have clearly given you one of the main priorities, he said he wanted to get the reforms though to ensure a repeat of bad governing will not be possible and then a.s.a.p. election.

Unless like a few on TVF elections tomorrow.

There's a lot of smart guys and Thai-experienced guys on TVF. It wouldn't hurt to form a committee to accept our own lot of suggestions and refine them down to form a bullet-point petition of ideas to correct the main issues, and present it to Gen. Prayuth.

I know the nay-sayers will be all "He'll never listen to farangs", and "We'd never get a consensus", however, to the first point I'd say that 1. It's worth a try, 2. If you don't try you will certainly not succeed, 3. Gen. Prayuth appears to be actually quite worldly in his approach and has been quite "unThai" at times, and 4. The General is smart enough to know that although not part of the electorate, the condensed views of tens of thousands of worldly and Thai-experienced people is worth a read, and to the second obstacle, well, that's why there's a committee, to find a consensus on the issues.

Maybe a special TVF subforum to accept suggestions and nominations for committee members? A subforum strictly only for submissions, with no replies, quotes or debate.....the committee do the debating based on the submissions. After submissions close, the forum is view-only to non committee members while the committee debate publicly.

Even if it doesn't bear fruit, it would be an interesting excersise.

A great post, I would love to have my wife provide some input - how to do that?

and:-

Please, please, please add a topic to stop murders by polytechnic rival gangs.

Perhaps they should not be treated as children.

The gang members present should be classed as accessory to murder.

Perhaps mandatory long sentences for all involved/present.

This problem has been going on for a long time and seems to be tolerated by many Thais.

The gangs even kill innocent bystanders - but they are only children - WHAT?

Little to no punishment.

I was told by a policeman that many senior students require that the young students commit violent acts against rival gangs in order to qualify as a gang member!

Everyone knows about it but does nothing.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)