Ferdinand says Sumrit's passion brought him here

Lite Beer

Ferdinand says Sumrit's passion brought him here
Kitinan Sanguansak
The Sunday Nation 

30236825-01_big.jpg
Anton Ferdinand greets the public at Police United ground.

BANGKOK: -- Former Queen Park Rangers defender Anton Ferdinand says he has decided to join Thai Premier League club Police United because he was impressed by the owner's vision and project.

The 29-year-old Ferdinand is in the country to finalise his move to the Thai club, which Police United president Sumrit Bunditkrisada said would make him, arguably, the best-paid player in the country's topflight league.

The central defender, who plays in the same position as his brother and former England captain Rio, is set to follow a host of former English Premier League players, including striker Jay Bothroyd to play in the country's fast-growing league.

While being unveiled to local media on Friday, Ferdinand said he decided to join Police, once one of the country's top sides and now enduring a long slump, because of the owner's passion.

"I'm looking forward to the move. Big [Sumrit's nickname] came to me with the project. I sat down and listened to what he's got to say. His passion for Thai League and for Thailand as a country really impressed me.

"This guy has got a big heart and a big vision. There's not much more you can ask for. We got a bit of way to go [to finalise the deal] but we are moving in the right direction. If it were not for Big, I would not have been here.

"His passion and vision is something I admire and I'm sure it's something you guys here will get to see and admire and appreciate for not just what he does for Thai League but Thailand as a whole," said Ferdinand, who also had stints with West Ham United and Sunderland.

Given the closeness of his family, Ferdinand was hoping Rio, who has yet to find a new club after leaving Manchester United last season, might find some time to see him in the country.

"With me now here, I'm sure he gonna spend a bit more time out this way. So, you get to see how tight our family is. He's an inspiration not just on the field for me but also off the pitch as my brother, not Rio the footballer but Rio my brother.

"He's been a big help for me when things got tough. He's somebody I would go to and speak to not only about football but life as a whole. Hopefully, he would be over here."

[thenation]2014-06-22[/thenation]

I think its more like a SYTT (Sweet Young Thai Thing) that made him come here and sign for the football club. Well, I'm sure he has a beer belly, Thai inlaws, and many fun nights to look forward too.

...and yes, I'm being presumptuous.

"Ferdinand says Sumrit's passion brought him here"

I've been away from this forum for a while now and hadn't realized I welded such influence whistling.gif whistling.gif wai2.gif biggrin.png  biggrin.png.

Thai football is not as bad as some people here think. Players like Jay Boothroyd (currently at Muang Thong), Jay Simpson (Buriram) and Rohan Ricketts (PTT Rayong) have all played at a high level in England but have found the TPL is tougher than they thought. They're all strikers though,with Ferdinand we'll see how a defender fares now.

The Police must be paying Ferdinand some serious money though.They're certainly not a 'glamour' club, they're one of the lesser teams in the TPL, currently in 13th place (and probably flattered by that position) with poor support, averaging just 2350 per game. So it's not a club that would be first choice for most foreign players and his wages won't be coming out of the gate receipts (we'll just have to wait and see if the 'tea money' at police check points goes up now biggrin.png ).

We could get an early chance to see how he fares though (if selected rolleyes.gif).  We (Chonburi FC) play the Police at their ground tonight in a TPL league match (KO 7pm and shown live on True TV) so there could be a bit of extra interest..

I've been away from this forum for a while now and hadn't realized I welded such influence whistling.gif whistling.gif wai2.gif biggrin.png  biggrin.png.

Thai football is not as bad as some people here think. Players like Jay Boothroyd (currently at Muang Thong), Jay Simpson (Buriram) and Rohan Ricketts (PTT Rayong) have all played at a high level in England but have found the TPL is tougher than they thought. They're all strikers though,with Ferdinand we'll see how a defender fares now.

The Police must be paying Ferdinand some serious money though.They're certainly not a 'glamour' club, they're one of the lesser teams in the TPL, currently in 13th place (and probably flattered by that position) with poor support, averaging just 2350 per game. So it's not a club that would be first choice for most foreign players and his wages won't be coming out of the gate receipts (we'll just have to wait and see if the 'tea money' at police check points goes up now biggrin.png ).

We could get an early chance to see how he fares though (if selected rolleyes.gif).  We (Chonburi FC) play the Police at their ground tonight in a TPL league match (KO 7pm and shown live on True TV) so there could be a bit of extra interest..

Well well, welcome back Sumrit!!  Haven't heard much from your goodself last season!!  Presumably if LVG does well you and all the other fickle glory hunting reds will be back gloating on the Man Yoo thread.....its been awful quiet on there in recent monthscheesy.gif

Well well, welcome back Sumrit!!  Haven't heard much from your goodself last season!!  Presumably if LVG does well you and all the other fickle glory hunting reds will be back gloating on the Man Yoo thread.....its been awful quiet on there in recent monthscheesy.gif

I had a bet you'd be the first to comment Carmineclap2.gif

I stopped coming on here because I felt SOME of the comments on here had started to go way beyond banter and had become insulting. I enjoy reading and joining in with all the banter and, as you know Carmine, I'm quite happy to have the fun poked at me (you've done it many times thumbsup.gif) but I felt some comments aimed at some people (especially newbies) went way beyond banter and were simply insulting. Some newbies just didn't return because of the insults. That I didn't enjoy and found myself getting annoyed with some posters comments, so I decided to go into self imposed exile until the end of the season in the hope that things would calm down.

As for Man U, what a crap season we had. Just as I predicted if you look back at some of my comments from this time last season. I never wanted Moyes and I'm glad he went.

I'm more than happy with the appointment of LVG. It's not 'IF' but' WHEN he does well wai2.gif. And how long do we have to be supporters before we stop being 'fickle glory hunters'? for me it's been fifty six years but you've got to remember any supporter under thirty will only have known us as being the best.....,,,,,,,,,,........until Moyes of coursesad.png.

And how's Tottenham these days? Have you started to learn Spanish yet, so you can understand your managers post match interviews.

I think he was a good appointment for you by the way. I like the style of football he wants to play. Even he won't be able to turn Soldadud into a goal machine for you thoughwhistling.gif

Edited by sumrit
  • Like 1

There would be no point in learning Spanish because Levy will have sacked him half way through my course, as well you know.

regards the posting i think you are being a little too sensitive as we have very good mods on the football forum who are very good at dealing with comments that over step the boundaries.

Regards, van Gaal, you do realize he's a whack job don't you!?!!  I mean,  if Rooney steps out of line,  louis quite likely to give to go ahead to water board him.

There would be no point in learning Spanish because Levy will have sacked him half way through my course, as well you know.

I honestly believe that, given a couple of years, he'll prove to be a very good appointment. 

regards the posting i think you are being a little too sensitive as we have very good mods on the football forum who are very good at dealing with comments that over step the boundaries.

Possibly, or maybe some of us have got different standards to others. While I have no control over the insults other people post I can choose not to participate wai2.gif.  

Regards, van Gaal, you do realize he's a whack job don't you!?!!  I mean,  if Rooney steps out of line,  louis quite likely to give to go ahead to water board him.

No problem with that...............a man after Ferguson's own heart clap2.gif

• 2 weeks later...

The Ferdinand brothers make Peter Beardsley look like a catwalk model.

tell ya what though ugly or.not rio's surprisingly talking a lot.of.sense as a.bbc pundit. And has anton actually signed yet? just an added , Ive been v reliably informed that he`s a really really nice guy.

tell ya what though ugly or.not rio's surprisingly talking a lot.of.sense as a.bbc pundit. And has anton actually signed yet? just an added , Ive been v reliably informed that he`s a really really nice guy.

Yes, Rio and most of the new bunch of pundits have been good.   its about time the likes of Shearer, lawrensen and Hanson took a hike.  They've taken their positions for granted for years now and its patently obvious they don't even bother to do their homework

Yes, Rio and most of the new bunch of pundits have been good.   its about time the likes of Shearer, lawrensen and Hanson took a hike.  They've taken their positions for granted for years now and its patently obvious they don't even bother to do their homework

Failed your own homework Carms biggrin.png. HansEn has jacked it in. WC was his farewell performance.

• 1 month later...