Land just north of Bang Wad lake and south west of Phuket Country Club

Hugh Geen

Does anyone know what is going on here? Four months ago it was a very pretty spot with short grass between big boulders where you could sit and picnic beside the lake. I could take the children there and they could run around safely. Many Thai families doing the same thing. Now the whole area has been bulldozed flat and the side of the green, grassy hill there has had rocks laid along its whole length and height. It is so sad.

On a slightly different topic, does anyone know why the road round the lake was built? I guess it is a man-made lake and the road was built during its construction but it is mostly a very good road that must have cost a fortune to construct - and goes nowhere. Now it enables a very comfortable hike through dense jungle and I am grateful it exists - for now!

Major earth works taking place here, and they've raised the 'picnic area' and flattened it. If anything, I believe these works are intended to enhance the area, not to spoil it or sell it off. There has been major improvements to the small road that circumnavigates the lake, albeit only half completed, with good quality tarmac. Hopefully when the works at the 'dam' area is completed, they'll finish it off along with landscaping.

This is a very well used recreation area, particularly early mornings and late afternoons (one of my cycle routes), and I don't believe for one moment that any form of commercial development is taking place there, too many Thais would be extremely upset.

Edited by pagallim
  • Like 1

No reason to raise and flatten the park/picnic area, its as high as the dam wall and

always was maintained by the water authority and used for loy krathong every year

Govt rangers patrolled the oicnic area and drive regularly

Up to about 4 years ago the drive around the dam was maintained every year they

cut the grass and undergrowth and trimmed the tree's and filled the potholes every year and there were nice

views over the dam from the road it was very popular with people who wanted to excercise

usually early morning and evenings

It did not need fixing back then so why does it need fixing now

No reason to raise and flatten the park/picnic area, its as high as the dam wall and

always was maintained by the water authority and used for loy krathong every year

cut the grass and undergrowth and trimmed the tree's and filled the potholes every year and there were nice

views over the dam from the road it was very popular with people who wanted to excercise

The picnic area was lower than the dam wall, now about the same height. This taken circa 8 a.m. three days ago:

post-62520-0-17233300-1403432002_thumb.j

Major earth works taking place here, and they've raised the 'picnic area' and flattened it. If anything, I believe these works are intended to enhance the area, not to spoil it or sell it off. There has been major improvements to the small road that circumnavigates the lake, albeit only half completed, with good quality tarmac. Hopefully when the works at the 'dam' area is completed, they'll finish it off along with landscaping.

This is a very well used recreation area, particularly early mornings and late afternoons (one of my cycle routes), and I don't believe for one moment that any form of commercial development is taking place there, too many Thais would be extremely upset.

Have you noticed that many people seem to think that the ring road is a good place to wash their vehicles. Soap and grime going right into the water supply. TIT.

• Like 1

The picnic area was lower than the dam wall, now about the same height. This taken circa 8 a.m. three days ago:

Yes you are right but it was much higher than the water table and never flooded when i lived in Kathu

Never came close to flooding actually so why raise it, only drives people away while they do something

that is not needed

And it was used a lot by local people especially on weekends when local people set up food stalls by the park

We drove around the lake a few months ago and the park was still OK then, are you suggesting it needed to

be raised, why ??

Have you noticed that many people seem to think that the ring road is a good place to wash their vehicles. Soap and grime going right into the water supply. TIT.

They have been washing vehicles at the rear of the dam by the winter waterfall for years, and that section of the dam is seperated

from the main dam by a smaller dam to stop pollution of the drinking water, still not a good idea

• Like 1

There's one hill run off/stream area with a rocky 'bowl' that (local) people do indeed use the water to wash their cars/motorcycles. Given the volume of water in the lake, not going to make any difference to what comes off the surrounding hilllsides anyway. I think I've seen more children being bathed in that 'bowl' (and occasional adults - albeit wearing sarongs).

Yes you are right but it was much higher than the water table and never flooded when i lived in Kathu

Never came close to flooding actually so why raise it, only drives people away while they do something

that is not needed

And it was used a lot by local people especially on weekends when local people set up food stalls by the park

We drove around the lake a few months ago and the park was still OK then, are you suggesting it needed to

be raised, why ??

I'm not saying that it needed to be raised. What I am saying is that there appears to be an effort (and expenditure) in this area that I personally believe is going to enhance this facility. The dam controls the water level, and given the extra demands placed on water throughout the province over recent years, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that they do indeed want to raise the maximum water level.

Next time there (not sure when, pain in the butt because of the earthworks/mud on the road when you've just cleaned the bike), I'll make a point of going into the water offices and asking them.

I lived near the dam when the annual rainfall was more than it currenty is and

the dam never filled to the spillway and overflowed back then and will not now

I hope they are just trying to improve the area for the public but i doubt it

Why take away the grass trees and palms which gave shade to make the

picnic area higher whe its much higher than the monsoon water level in the dam

as it is

Probably end up a fishing lake even though its the main source of drinking water

on the island, when i saw the development going on the land opposite the picnic

area i thought here we go again, like what has been going n in the natiinal parks

• Like 1

Probably end up a fishing lake even though its the main source of drinking water

on the island, when i saw the development going on the land opposite the picnic

area i thought here we go again, like what has been going n in the natiinal parks

None of the piped water in Phuket is 'drinking' water, and is good for utility purposes only. Not sure what you mean about the development on the land opposite the picnic area? There is no development. That is the primary car park plus public toilets, and is still the same.

• Like 1

This is the best place to run in phuket. The road wasn't bad before, but I appreciated when it was repaved. Although they re did areas that didnt need it and skipped the end which was short sighted. None the less this place is awesome and if you really want to enjoy a picnic go a little bit around theres tons of cool places right by the water that are far more scenic than the entrance way where the motorbike traffic parks.

• Like 2

It appears to me that they are strengthening the dam breast to enable them to raise the water level higher.
Probably a good idea and long term plan for the water problems on this island.

If so, the picnic area could possibly be too low when the dam would be full.

Also, the new dam that they are building near Phunaka golf course would add a lot to the water supply on Phuket.
I estimate the new dam, when complete, would be about 2/3 the size of Bang Wad. (circumference of Bang Wad=6.25km, circumference of new Phunaka dam=4.2kms)

I hope my assumptions are correct and it would show that at least the water authority is doing some long term planning here.

• Like 2

Thanks guys! Some interesting comments here. I would like to meet any one of you for a drink (800 406970). I never went to the Expat Club in Patong and I don't go to bars any more. After over 4 years here my friends here are now exclusively Thai women.

It appears to me that they are strengthening the dam breast to enable them to raise the water level higher.

Also, the new dam that they are building near Phunaka golf course would add a lot to the water supply on Phuket.

I estimate the new dam, when complete, would be about 2/3 the size of Bang Wad. (circumference of Bang Wad=6.25km, circumference of new Phunaka dam=4.2kms)

I hope my assumptions are correct and it would show that at least the water authority is doing some long term planning here.

I play golf at Phunaka and the depth is not that all that great. Not sure how deep bang wad is. Better than nothing.

The only way bang wad dam will fill and overflow which it should not is if they pump the water from

the new dam to bang wad dam and distribute it from there, they can regulate the flow of water from the new dam

they need to buy some decent high pressure pumps, a lot of patong is supplied from bang wad dam

and there is not enough pressure to suppply the higher area's of Patong and wont be even if they increase the hieght of the dam wall

They need some decent pumps on the rawai water system as well

I wouldn't hold my breath on that. In nearly twenty years here I have so far not found a natural spot not enhanced to something "suay" but less practical for the users. Look at Suan Luang and Khao Rang.

Before 2020 I bet Suanluang is a mix of marked, food stalls, Disney Phuket and go cart track. Khao rang is already given over to the Chinese tourists and locals who used it as recreation are now more in the middle of a uphill highway than a fresh walk in what once was a quiet and cool area to be when other places was to hot. To keep thing natural and untouched is simply not in the culture and character here.

• Like 1

The dam as never run dry as far as i know, there has always been water in it

Its the water pipes and pumps that need upgrading ,, the civil engineers have

been saying for years they are going to fix the water supply problems around

the island and have not done it, things are worse than they were 8 years ago

Time to get the army engineers in to fix the water supply problems when they have

time, the army has already sorted out a lot of problems in Phuket and are working

on other problems that need fixing,good on them but it takes time

It's never run dry, but, the water level has got so low that pumping water out was not possible.

As more and more homes and businesses have got connected, water pressure has dropped, so yes, pumps need to be re-vamped.

Wifey has complained in person at their office below the dam. Last few times they just straight say the pump is broken. Might be a translation error as there is still some limited pressure (periodically) in the lower levels of Patong. Not one drop of water since last year in the higher area of Patong.

Don't think it was that many years back as I remember an article in the PG about it.

The government was forced to pay money to land-owners that had ex-tin mine lakes on their land to use that water.

Obviously, the pumps can't be broken as other users lower down are still getting water.

Look how many condo blocks have been built over the years, quite a few of them in Patong. Then look at water usage per condo block. There seems to be enough pressure to pump water over the hill, but, once all those businesses, houses and condos start drawing on it, the pressure plummets.

Edited by KarenBravo

It's never run dry, but, the water level has got so low that pumping water out was not possible.

As more and more homes and businesses have got connected, water pressure has dropped, so yes, pumps need to be re-vamped.

Wifey has complained in person at their office below the dam. Last few times they just straight say the pump is broken. Might be a translation error as there is still some limited pressure (periodically) in the lower levels of Patong. Not one drop of water since last year in the higher area of Patong.

Have you considered drilling a narrow bore? You would have to get disconnected from government water first as you are not allowed to drill if you are connected.

Have you considered drilling a narrow bore? You would have to get disconnected from government water first as you are not allowed to drill if you are connected.

Let's not go off topic. Drilled a bore some 15 years ago before public water was available. About 10 years ago got connected (at our high cost). Couple of years ago the bore seems to have collapsed, can't pull out the tube/pump. Now abandonned thinking we had a public supply. No answers required - let's get back on topic.

There is a water pumping station on the kathu side to pump the water over

the patong hill but what about the Patong side of the hill, is there a pumping

station or do they just rely on gravity feed,if there is no pumping station on

the patong side all the higher properties would not get govt water when there

is a high demand for it, you do not pay annual water rates here if you use the

water or not like other countries if govt water is avaliable to your property so

they do not have the same amount of money to spend on improving water

supply here as elsewhere