Safe-T-Cut, Do I need it?

Travel2003

Not sure what they are selling but 20k does not need to be spent for ground fault circuit protection. You can obtain a unit for about 5k at any good electric/hardware store and any electrician can install as done at entry to current panel.

I suspect for 20k they are providing new panel and converting 2 wire to 3 wire system for entire house?.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I feared, the discussion is already over my head in understanding.

The Safe-T-Cut guys are here now, and want to sell me a 20 000 Baht gadget.

Although there are several sizes and prices in their catalogue.

Guess I am been taken to the cleaners here.

Agree. Again, you only need a 63 amp (to wit - whatever your current main breaker is rated) RCBO which Safe-T-Cut sells for around B2000 or a Square-D RCBO main breaker replacement for about B3000. There is minimal labor involved either way.

I suspect you already have 3 pin outlets with a ground system if new mooban build so it looks like you are being set up for a huge profit. As said you have very good breaker box and can obtain built-in unit or buy Safe-t-cut to feed it for about 5k installed. Below is 5,159 from HomePro.

1012430.jpghttp://www.directtoshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/directtoshop/chopper-63a-nano-s-2p-63a-safe-t-cut-p1012430

As I feared, the discussion is already over my head in understanding.

The Safe-T-Cut guys are here now, and want to sell me a 20 000 Baht gadget.

Although there are several sizes and prices in their catalogue.

Guess I am been taken to the cleaners here.

Ridiculous price. Tell them you're not interested.

• Like 2

I went with a unit for 9500, including installation.

Hopefully the right one was chosen.

Before and after.

Well it looks like you are safe now. Did you get certificate of compliance for that price? Stating the masured earth values, and time of operations at 0 and 180, at half, x1, and x5 fault current? Which is standard practice in the uk.

BTW sorry to say but that is a terrible install as well, chopping out your fusebox cover, when the cables should have been buried in the wall, and not exposed at all.

The install should not have been more than 2000B with test certificate.

Yeah. I guess they didn't know what those 'circles' were for in the Square-D box. Unbelievable. I would have gone with conduit cover vs. cutting into the wall though.

Edit: Actually, I would have replaced the main breaker with RCBO. Anyway... it's done and have the insurance.

Edited by bankruatsteve

I can not read the amperage of unit but it should be the 63 amp model (they make many). I also note they have marked it as installed in month 4 rather than 6 so looks like a used unit (probably nothing wrong but they should have explained why it already marked as installed in a prior month as could be a guarantee issue later). The install indeed looks bad but should not effect service. Obviously price was high but at least less than 20k.

As for UK testing and certificates? TiT. Our test was salesman holding hot wire and stepping into water. Somehow suspect this may still be the advanced test.

• Like 1

I purchased mine online. 63amp for under THB 3000. Installation for THB 1500 which included the installation and purchase of a mechanical switch before the safe t cut, so I can work on the system safely myself in the future.

• Like 1