Another storm. Another power cut.

kurnell

excluding a contracted expat working for a foreign company on a proper expat package, The one who chooses to live in Thailand doesn't want to pay. If you don't want to pay then don't expect the service

Singapore will welcome you with open arms, if you want to pay for the privilege.

"I'm dreaming of a day when Thailand will upgrade their 100 year old power system. Like clockwork a storm hits, there is a bang and we are without power for several hours. Are you listening Junta?"

100-year-old power system, are you joking? Most parts of Bangkok outside the central core didn't even have electrical power until the 1950s! All the wiring even today is substandard by international electrical codes. And I'm sure the Junta holds an emergency meeting every time you post something on Thai Visa.

It's not so much the system that's at fault. You're probably living in a cheap building that has a dodgy transformer? I never got any power outage in my condo, but on the other hand I was paying 70,000 a month for my apartment. You would not expect power outages in that class of accommodation.

"You probably"....pffftt! Probably what? I've been working around Sukhumvit 39-49 for 7 years and not a month has gone by that we didn't have at least 1 power outage. Storm or not.

The accommodation that I bought is likely worth a hundred times what you are renting. Of course it's the system genius. How do you explain an entire mooban/block/building going out? Go back to your theories book boy.

"I'm dreaming of a day when Thailand will upgrade their 100 year old power system. Like clockwork a storm hits, there is a bang and we are without power for several hours. Are you listening Junta?"

100-year-old power system, are you joking? Most parts of Bangkok outside the central core didn't even have electrical power until the 1950s! All the wiring even today is substandard by international electrical codes. And I'm sure the Junta holds an emergency meeting every time you post something on Thai Visa.

It's not so much the system that's at fault. You're probably living in a cheap building that has a dodgy transformer? I never got any power outage in my condo, but on the other hand I was paying 70,000 a month for my apartment. You would not expect power outages in that class of accommodation.

"You probably"....pffftt! Probably what? I've been working around Sukhumvit 39-49 for 7 years and not a month has gone by that we didn't have at least 1 power outage. Storm or not.

The accommodation that I bought is likely worth a hundred times what you are renting. Of course it's the system genius. How do you explain an entire mooban/block/building going out? Go back to your theories book boy.

I lived for 3 years in one building and never had a power outage for more than 5 minutes. A good quality building has a good backup generator that kicks in immediately or almost immediately, and they have enough fuel to keep it running for hours. Almost all large buildings have their own transformer. I have heard transformers blow in my building, but power never goes out for more than 5 minutes because they turn on the generator. Sounds like your building has a penny-pinching management that doesn't want to invest in a decent generator or get to the bottom of what's causing their transformer problems.

I lived for 3 years in one building and never had a power outage for more than 5 minutes. A good quality building has a good backup generator that kicks in immediately or almost immediately, and they have enough fuel to keep it running for hours. Almost all large buildings have their own transformer. I have heard transformers blow in my building, but power never goes out for more than 5 minutes because they turn on the generator. Sounds like your building has a penny-pinching management that doesn't want to invest in a decent generator or get to the bottom of what's causing their transformer problems.

Probably right. The building is full of Japanese. Clearly they don't complain.

I know of a TOT box that has many copper phone lines in it as a kind of junction of some sort, it fills with water every time it rains, been like it for months !!! (I don't use TOT)

When 3BB installed a line, they just twist, wrap with a bit of insulation tape that fell off within 3 months, I fixed it by importing some connectors that cost $0.02 usd, yes, 2 cents each plus postage, that are gelled filled, they snap together, and problem gone.