Bringing A Tv Show Into Thailand. Thoughts Please.

jl_333

Hi,

I am considering partnering with a friend to bring a television show into the land of BKK and want to gather some initial feedback (for those of you in the know or even, not in the know). First off, can this be done? With the media giants and censorship, how open would networks/channels be willing to bring in a new show? I would suppose it would be all contingent on content, but I'm curious to see if there are any independent tv shows out there or are they all bought by the network?

Is it even possible for some foreigners to to do this? I'd have a Thai partner go into this with me as well. Any initial feedback would be great. Its a big obstacle and unfortunately gaining any significant insight in English is quite difficult. Also, I'm not worried about the logistics of the program (they can be dealt with), just the intial question of if it is EVEN possible. Keep in mind, this show is already a successful show in SEA, but is not broadcast in Thailand.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I am considering partnering with a friend to bring a television show into the land of BKK and want to gather some initial feedback (for those of you in the know or even, not in the know). First off, can this be done? With the media giants and censorship, how open would networks/channels be willing to bring in a new show? I would suppose it would be all contingent on content, but I'm curious to see if there are any independent tv shows out there or are they all bought by the network?

Is it even possible for some foreigners to to do this? I'd have a Thai partner go into this with me as well. Any initial feedback would be great. Its a big obstacle and unfortunately gaining any significant insight in English is quite difficult. Also, I'm not worried about the logistics of the program (they can be dealt with), just the intial question of if it is EVEN possible. Keep in mind, this show is already a successful show in SEA, but is not broadcast in Thailand.

Thanks in advance.

Any thoughts??? none??

Can you clear somethings up please. Your post is not very clear.

Are you wanting to sell an existing programme to Thai TV?

Are you wanting to produce an origional show in Thailand for foriegn consumption?

Are you wanting to produce an origional show in Thailand for local consumption?

Or both of the above?

Are you wanting to take a concept from some place else and transplant it in Thailand for Thai domestic consumption? eg Big Brother.

These all have different stratgies and requirements, and assume you have the financial, technical and artistic backing needed for production.

I have a company, studio lanna that produces television shows here in Asia. I've made shows for Star TV, Nat Geo, and Discovery here, and briefly looked into terrestrial tv here in Thailand.

Good news is, it's very easy to get a show on thai TV, mostly because it acts backwards to most other TV stations around the world. You see, Thai TV stations don't buy your show, you buy the airtime from them, and then you sell your own advertising. The shows do have to be in Thai, and meet certain regulations and criteria.

So the investment in making a show for Thai TV, is quite high, not only do you have to pay for the cost of production up front, but you then have to buy the airtime, and have a sales and marketing staff. So keep that in mind when your budgeting.

The (farang) production community in Thailand is very sabai sabai, if you want more details feel free to PM me, and we'd be happy to help you out.

Good luck,

John

Lopburi - I am writing from New York. We have a 12 hour difference.

misplaced - I will keep you in mind. Thanks. :o

Chang_paarp - Apologies for not clarifying. This will be an original show aired in Thailand for local consumption. I look forward to your reply regarding the strategies and/or requirements. Cheers.

jaiyenjohn - This is great information. Thank you. What resources are useful for looking up information on the specific channels (i cannot find anything in english)? What specific work have you done in Asia (you can PM me)? As of now, we have a production house, but not located in Thailand. I'd be interested in hiring a local company, such as yours, to get the ball rolling. Can you PM me? I'd love to continue talks.

13 hour diff btw thai and NY

Nope, 11 hours difference.

It probably depends on which way you are looking, East or West!! :o

Erm surely then it would be 11 hours v 23 hours...

Unless midday is the same as midnight in your world

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, but umm let's see.... what kinda of media you want to use? what kinda of public you want to have... and ummm do u want it to be in cable? or local tv? in english or thai? what kinda of show its?? talk show? entertainment???

I can't really hv an opinion of what do you want to do if I dont really know what do you want :D

hehehe..

:o