Why don’t you “fly the flag”?

Costas2008

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once witnessed a very nasty incident in which the police where called to an international corporation office in which there were three flags flying; the Thai flag in the centre, then spaced about 15 meters either side two other national flags (relating to the nationality of the corporation).

When a senior member of staff died at work someone took it upon themselves to put the flags at half mast. 

A member of the Thai staff then measured the heights of the flags and discovered the Thai flag was a nat's cock lower than one of the other flags. 

Thai staff stood guard over the flags until the police arrived - A significant amount of money changed hands to avoid arrests and criminal charges. 

I'd advise flying no flags or the Thai flag only or make sure your Thai flag is visibly higher than your own country flag. 

• Like 2

I think it is inappropriate.....

I would be very angry to see the Turkish immigrants fly their flags in my home country. And everyone was upset with Erdogan making speeches in Germany and Austria.

• Like 1

I would be very angry to see the Turkish immigrants fly their flags in my home country. And everyone was upset with Erdogan making speeches in Germany and Austria.

I've seen many Greek immigrants flying their flags in the USA, and Germany.

Haven't been to Australia, but I believe they do the same.

I agree.

Its inappropriate many wont like it. I am not a nationalist so I also dont feel the need. The world would be a better place without nationalism. Americans are crazy about it the Dutch not so.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

But, you are nationalist, when it comes to your football national team, as many others with their own countries, so why not the flag?

• Like 1

I agree.

Its inappropriate many wont like it. I am not a nationalist so I also dont feel the need. The world would be a better place without nationalism. Americans are crazy about it the Dutch not so.

But, you are nationalist, when it comes to your football national team, as many others with their own countries, so why not the flag?

Because we don't feel the need to. 

• Like 2

The flag should be raised briskly and lowered ceremoniously.

The flag should be raised no earlier than first light and lowered no later than dusk.

When the flag is raised or lowered, or when it is carried in a parade or review, everyone present should be silent and face the flag. People in uniform should salute.

The flag should always be flown freely and as close as possible to the top of the flagpole with the rope tightly secured.

Unless all flags are raised and lowered simultaneously, the Australian National Flag should be raised first and lowered last.

When the Australian National Flag is flown with flags of other nations, all flags should be the same size and flown on flagpoles of the same height.

When flying with only one other national flag, the Australian National Flag should fly on the left of a person facing the flags.

Two flags should not be flown from the same flagpole.

The flag may be flown at night only when it is illuminated.

The flag should never be flown if it is damaged, faded or dilapidated. When the material of a flag deteriorates it should be destroyed privately and in a dignified way. i.e. it may be cut into small unrecognisable pieces then disposed of with the normal rubbish collection.

The flag should not be flown upside down, even as a signal of distress.

The flag should not fall or lie on the ground or be used as a cover (although it can be used to cover a coffin at a funeral).
  • Like 2

http://www.twainquotes.com/Patriotism.html

Man is the only Patriot. He sets himself apart in his own country, under his own flag, and sneers at the other nations, and keeps multitudinous uniformed assassins on hand at heavy expense to grab slices of other people's countries, and keep them from grabbing slices of his. And in the intervals between campaigns he washes the blood of his hands and works for "the universal brotherhood of man"- with his mouth.

costas may well disagree with the above, but is Europe so different in 2014 to the Europe of Twain's era ? Nationalism is alive and well and easily manipulated by politicians who know how to fire up a mob - particularly in countries where the austerity measures are biting. I dont have a problem with people who love their country - I just know how quickly that can manifest itself as xenophobia. 

I see nothing good coming of flying the Australian flag in this country in any way, shape or form and I avoid any business which seeks to capitalise on the fact that I'm Australian. If I wanted to wear something that instantly identified me as an Aussie bogan, I need look no further than a Singha or Bintang singlet  

And the Poms wear the Chang ones.

Edited by Rooo
Font
  • Like 1

I've seen many Greek immigrants flying their flags in the USA, and Germany.

Haven't been to Australia, but I believe they do the same.

In my experience, rarely,  Far more likely to see flags flown from car windows after a soccer game. Older Greeks usually seem happier to blend into the suburban landscape, even if their architectural choices often give them away. 

• Like 1

I was born in one country, grew up in another, am a citizen of a third where I've never lived for any length of time, have cultural affinity for a fourth which I've only visited occasionally, now live in a fifth, which I love but don't feel at all nationalistic about and am married to someone from a sixth. The daily flag-raising ceremony at my house begins at 8 AM and ends in time for lunch. Once all our kids are safely in college, Mrs T would like to move, but I dread the prospect of delayed lunches.

T Edited by Thakkar
  • Like 1

I hope your flag is lower than the Thai flag.

No, it's on the same level.

that is extremely disrespectful. read up on flag etiquette

I would appreciate if you can provide me with some reading or link about flag etiquette.

I would appreciate if you can provide me with some reading or link about flag etiquette.

Could be wrong but read up on the Thai Flag and what it symbolizes. That should give you a clue as to why. 

IfI should die think only this of me

that there is a corner of a foreign field that is forever England

As far as my condo goes that is my sentiment. When I leave it I will respect and adhere to the laws and customs of Thailand but in my home I expect people (for that read gf's) to respect my culture. Saying that,  I do remove my shoes before going in so maybe I do bring Thai culture into the home too.

google is your friend

• Like 1

I agree.

My neighbor here always fly the Thailands flag, the Kings and the old German one with the Swastika.....No one cared.

By the way I am not nationalist on our football team....Don't think the point of 11 retards running after a ball.

If we would be the country who could first bring people to Mars, or cure cancer or heal some disease in Africa, that would be something I could be proud of. 

But as the situation is, we are nothing better than any other country.....I like my country and the people there, but I can't say there is something we are better than Thais, Chinese, Spanish or anyone else.

Edited by h90