Anyone feel stuck ?

MichaelJackson

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Perhaps for UK expats, those who have been here for some years, the absence of medical insurance combined with advancing years probably makes memories of what the NHS might provide may distort the view?

I have an American expat friend that returned to the US for the summer about a month ago. Within a day that individual was feeling unwell, chest pains, and a weird pain in the calf muscle. The person I refer to is only 44. I said - go get it checked out, it could be a clot.

Three weeks they hung out against going to hospital. Three ridiculous weeks, until the pain got too much. After a battery of tests it came back that the doctor believed that a blood clot had occurred but cleared naturally. I'm not a doctor, I have no comment to make - except this. That individual has now been presented with a bill for $7,000 - and as they said to me - "can you now see why I was holding out?"

Yes I can - we Brits have to be thankful for the NHS.

Why is there such a misconception? Sure, if you move out of the US and don't maintain a home address in the US, and if you're 65 or older don't pay Medicare premiums, you entirely screwed up.

The US health care system is so much better than the NHS if only in that there is no waiting. I have no interest in being on an NHS which has a 2 year waiting time and effectively a death sentence for people who are very old and frail.

If I needed that health care you mentioned above, it would cost me nothing. Nada. No deductibles, no co-pays - not even for prescription drugs. I also don't have to pay 3x the value for a liter of gasoline just to help pay for my "free" health care.

People who pack it all in for Thailand and don't maintain a toe hold in their home country, don't qualify for their retirement income, don't qualify for their government health care etc. really need to think again. They will get older, they will have problems, and if they aren't filthy rich they will need some assistance.

Perhaps for UK expats, those who have been here for some years, the absence of medical insurance combined with advancing years probably makes memories of what the NHS might provide may distort the view?

I have an American expat friend that returned to the US for the summer about a month ago. Within a day that individual was feeling unwell, chest pains, and a weird pain in the calf muscle. The person I refer to is only 44. I said - go get it checked out, it could be a clot.

Three weeks they hung out against going to hospital. Three ridiculous weeks, until the pain got too much. After a battery of tests it came back that the doctor believed that a blood clot had occurred but cleared naturally. I'm not a doctor, I have no comment to make - except this. That individual has now been presented with a bill for $7,000 - and as they said to me - "can you now see why I was holding out?"

Why is there such a misconception? Sure, if you move out of the US and don't maintain a home address in the US, and if you're 65 or older don't pay Medicare premiums, you entirely screwed up.

The US health care system is so much better than the NHS if only in that there is no waiting. I have no interest in being on an NHS which has a 2 year waiting time and effectively a death sentence for people who are very old and frail.

If I needed that health care you mentioned above, it would cost me nothing. Nada. No deductibles, no co-pays - not even for prescription drugs. I also don't have to pay 3x the value for a liter of gasoline just to help pay for my "free" health care.

People who pack it all in for Thailand and don't maintain a toe hold in their home country, don't qualify for their retirement income, don't qualify for their government health care etc. really need to think again. They will get older, they will have problems, and if they aren't filthy rich they will need some assistance.

2 year waiting list!! lol

I think at certain times in life we all feel stuck,stuck in a rut that is.

Take a few days of and go somewhere else,it does not even have to be far.

If you have property here you can sell it and move on but remember the grass is always greener,,,.

There are always options.

I am not all in totally but i have pretty much settled down here and i hope the urge to move on will not get too strong.

Glad I read a few responses before posting...you summed it up in your post!

Why is there such a misconception?

You must be a recipient of ObamaCare.

How do you draw the conclusion you don't pay for our Healthcare in the US through taxes?

Look at your paystub.

There is a section that shows deductions.

See the one called Medicare? Your employer is hit by the same tax when he pays his payroll taxes.

Now look at the monthly premium that a real working man pays on his ObamaCare and look at the annual deductable (out-of-pocket). Now add those figures up. Guess what? Thats part of the cost we pay in the US that NHS recipients don't pay.

You sure do make me laugh. You are the cowboy who comes on here preaching about how every man needs to be responsible and pay his own way yet you are getting a free ride on your healthcare? And you don't think someone is footing the bill for that?

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 1

Off to the Philippines. That place is great

Yea wonderful place. Where one has the highest % in all of Asia of getting abducted, mugged, scammed, shot in the face. Just because you got some cash, or just because, they can.

Ah, the gras is always greener at the other side syndrome cobined with buyers remorse.

Harsh, but true.

The greener bit is being able to have both, not either/or. You enjoy security in your homeland and whatever else in LoS when you want to.

Never ever ever ever go all in. For 95% of people this will end in disaster.

I do like the OP`s comment; He came 12 tears ago, that just about sums this story up.

For many of us, have to consider that we are foreigners in this foreign land and even I get what I describe as the Thailand blues at times.

I do blame this on many of the ex-pats living here for not being more sociable and that consider other ex-pats as those to avoid, even I am guilty of this but only because they appear to have arrogant and inhospitable attitudes that makes them seem the types who are unapproachable and many ex-pats, like the OP who alleges this is about the guy he spoke to but it`s not him of course, can become wary of rejection or afraid of being classified as people desperate for friends and weird for even wanting to associate with their peers as if it`s something not normal.

Here is a disturbing and tragic case of the most extreme, about a guy who fell ill in Chiang Mai and decided to commit suicide:

http://asiarecipe.com/Larry.html

My point being is, that many ex-pats can in later life suddenly find themselves living and feeling totally isolated here, a situation not easy to escape from in Thailand.

• Like 1

You must be a recipient of ObamaCare.
How do you draw the conclusion you don't pay for our Healthcare in the US through taxes?
Look at your paystub.
There is a section that shows deductions.
See the one called Medicare? Your employer is hit by the same tax when he pays his payroll taxes.
Now look at the monthly premium that a real working man pays on his ObamaCare and look at the annual deductable (out-of-pocket). Now add those figures up. Guess what? Thats part of the cost we pay in the US that NHS recipients don't pay.
You sure do make me laugh. You are the cowboy who comes on here preaching about how every man needs to be responsible and pay his own way yet you are getting a free ride on your healthcare? And you don't think someone is footing the bill for that?

Obamacare? You've seen a pay stub with Obamacare? I never have.

Now, US health care isn't free. I paid into that deduction for Medicare from when I got my first job until I retired. I paid for it.

My employer? What's up with that? Is that all you ever knew? I never had an employer after the age of about 29 and after that I paid both sides of that equation myself in what is called self employment tax. So I paid for my Medicare and Social Security myself for more than 35 years after I split it with an employer for more than ten more years.

The point I was making was that countries with "free" health care pay it in taxes in a hidden way so it isn't really free of course. I paid direct and spelled-out taxes.

It is also valid to suggest that expats should be sure to figure out a way to keep health care and retirement pay valid in the home country unless they are rich.

What a lot of garbage - 2 year waiting lists? a death sentence for the old and frail? There's something wrong with you.

Your next contention about "hidden" taxes is equally stupid. There's nothing hidden about the taxes. The correct definition of the NHS is free at the point of delivery. We Brits are perfectly aware that our tax and National Insurance contributions are paid towards the upkeep of the NHS.

Edited by Pattszero

What a lot of garbage - 2 year waiting lists? a death sentence for the old and frail? There's something wrong with you.

if you'd had to pay what he's had to pay for health insurance for 30+ years, you'd be bitter and prone to making stuff up about the health care systems of others too! not to mention the terror attached to the bankruptcy of their social security system.

Every card is stacked against you - every single one.

I'm sorry I completely disagree with this line!

I think the Thai culture for a bachelor with only a C+ education anyway, is a wonderful opportunity!

Its been designed by men, for men.

The dating rules are dictated and influenced by decades old chauvinistic values.

So for a chauvinist, confident alpha male , it creates a fertile hunting ground.

With almost no chance of getting burned!

You only need a degree of logic, a basic understanding of their culture, an understanding that nothing lasts forever, and of course, it almost goes without saying, enough resources!

I was referring to the legal situation.

Can you tell me in which way(s) you qualify as an alpha-male?

Being thick is not normally recognized as one of them.

You come to Thailand concerned about the legal aspect?

I came concerned about the women.

There is an example right there.

Every card is stacked against you - every single one.

I'm sorry I completely disagree with this line!

I think the Thai culture for a bachelor with only a C+ education anyway, is a wonderful opportunity!

Its been designed by men, for men.

The dating rules are dictated and influenced by decades old chauvinistic values.

So for a chauvinist, confident alpha male , it creates a fertile hunting ground.

With almost no chance of getting burned!

You only need a degree of logic, a basic understanding of their culture, an understanding that nothing lasts forever, and of course, it almost goes without saying, enough resources!

I was referring to the legal situation.

Can you tell me in which way(s) you qualify as an alpha-male?

Being thick is not normally recognized as one of them.

You come to Thailand concerned about the legal aspect?

I came concerned about the women.

There is an example right there.

I come to Thailand concerned about the legal aspect? who said that?

It is of no concern to me, as not only do I not have a single penny invested in the country, I never will have either.

Anyone allocating themselves "alpha-male" status due to their prowess with Thai women is a deluded fool.

Is that you?

I don't mean to interrupt this prolonged exchange of insults, but!

I was thinking this morning about this issue and wondered how I might feel at this stage of my life had I spent the past ten years in some small village in Somerset, the place where I now plan to spend half my year. I don't need to think very long on the subject before I conclude that I would certainly feel trapped, the isolation, the absence of variety, the poor weather for much of the year etc etc. To spend six months of the year there as a contrast is likely to be very enjoyable because it is just that, a contrast, but to live there year round for many consecutive years would likely be soul destroying.

So really the OP could ask the same question of almost any location where a person has spent many recent years, for me it's about the things and people in whatever that location might be that go into making a decent quality of life, friends, family, climate, surrounding food etc.

• Like 1

There are a lot of people back in the homeland that feel "stuck" in the very same way. Never traveled much, maybe don't even have a passport. Go to work, visit their local, internet, watch some telly, walk the dog and maybe shag the Mrs.

If his net worth equals "all in" with a house and a car here, he would be "stuck" back home as well.

• Like 1

I felt stuck in the Uk,emigrated to Australia,after 15 years felt stuck there came to Thailand now feel stuck here,i guess i am a stucker.

aint that the truth, Im stuck anywhere, lets hope Hell is more appealingbiggrin.png

• Like 1

Off to the Philippines. That place is great

Yea wonderful place. Where one has the highest % in all of Asia of getting abducted, mugged, scammed, shot in the face. Just because you got some cash, or just because, they can.

News to me. I don't know anyone that has been shot in the face.

I don't mean to interrupt this prolonged exchange of insults, but!

I was thinking this morning about this issue and wondered how I might feel at this stage of my life had I spent the past ten years in some small village in Somerset, the place where I now plan to spend half my year. I don't need to think very long on the subject before I conclude that I would certainly feel trapped, the isolation, the absence of variety, the poor weather for much of the year etc etc. To spend six months of the year there as a contrast is likely to be very enjoyable because it is just that, a contrast, but to live there year round for many consecutive years would likely be soul destroying.

So really the OP could ask the same question of almost any location where a person has spent many recent years, for me it's about the things and people in whatever that location might be that go into making a decent quality of life, friends, family, climate, surrounding food etc.

I think you might enjoy this.

You Can't Live At All Unless You Can Live Fully Now

The great Alan Watts and his profound wisdom. Few see this in the middle of obtaining their education. Only after do we realize that education and knowledge are two different things and neither will lead to wisdom without a sense of value in yourself and living fully right now. Always know that who you are and what you want to be is available to you in the moment.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152195689727499&set=vb.199701427498&type=2&theater

• Like 1

I hope when the Mods wake up, that they delete all the childish, bickering posts......

TBH, nowhere in the world is perfect. Thailand has a lot of obstacles for the expat who wants to live here on a long-term basis. But so does the home country and so does any other country in the world where you decide to lay your hat. You have to weigh up the pros and cons and decide what is acceptable for your own lifestyle.

• Like 2

It took me 9 month to realize that ;

- The laws and regulation of Thailand are not foreigner friendly

- People keep on judging you to know where you fit in their feudal ranking system, "equal" is not part of the Thai vocabulary.

- The weather is way too hot to be considered "comfortable"

and the food is not good.

So how someone is in right mind can spend 12 years in this country is something I don't really understand. Being "stuck" is maybe the explanation.

would you understand people who stay in Thailand and live a comfortable life by spending 100,000 (or much more) Dollars using only a part of the amount of income tax which they do not pay in their home country?

based on the afore-mentioned would you understand that these people give a sh1t² whether they "fit in a ranking system" or whether "equal" or whatever expression is a part of the Thai vocabulary?

are you aware that spending an appropriate amount of money you can eat the same food which people eat in Paris, New York, Tokyo, San Francisco, Munich, Rome, Geneva (or you name it). i deliberately did not mention London because there's no good food tongue.png

of course your answer to all my three question will be "no" because an income out of which a taxman claws 100 or 150k is obviously far beyond your comprehension.

now tell me again something of "right mind" but let me add that agree with you that Thailand's weather is too hot for my taste thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

- People keep on judging you to know where you fit in their feudal ranking system, "equal" is not part of the Thai vocabulary.

So how someone is in right mind can spend 12 years in this country is something I don't really understand. Being "stuck" is maybe the explanation.

would you understand people who stay in Thailand and live a comfortable life by spending 100,000 (or much more) Dollars using only a part of the amount of income tax which they do not pay in their home country?

based on the afore-mentioned would you understand that these people give a sh1t² whether they "fit in a ranking system" or whether "equal" or whatever expression is a part of the Thai vocabulary?

are you aware that spending an appropriate amount of money you can eat the same food which people eat in Paris, New York, Tokyo, San Francisco, Munich, Rome, Geneva (or you name it). i deliberately did not mention London because there's no good food tongue.png

of course your answer to all my three question will be "no" because an income out of which a taxman claws 100 or 150k is obviously far beyond your comprehension.

now tell me again something of "right mind" but let me add that agree with you that Thailand's weather is too hot for my taste thumbsup.gif

Not even blink at a 20,000 Baht/mo electric bin either. thumbsup.gif

I felt stuck in the Uk,emigrated to Australia,after 15 years felt stuck there came to Thailand now feel stuck here,i guess i am a stucker.

Nah, that's 2 too many moves for a stucker.

Edited by enyaw

I'm not flaming, genuine question. Try to answer it as such, please.

Is it not the case that you are also in a way stuck, in that if you had to return to your home country, you would be held accountable for unpaid tax?

I had that scenario a few years ago, where I received a letter from the Official Solicitor in the UK requesting that I provide proof of tax paid during an expat stint. My away around that was to show the tax paid to my host country.

I wasn't shocked to receive the letter, I was shocked at how quickly it arrive. I re-entered my county for domicile purposes on Jan 9th, and the letter arrived Jan 15th.

I think there are folk that are genuinely stuck in a rut and they will need the sympathies of others to get them out of it. However, I am not sure that applies in this case. If you have assets then you can try and do something with them - whether it's sell them, rent them or sweat them in a way to generate an income. Once you have enough to get yourself a ticket and get out of a place you don't want to be in, then you have done the hardest part already. The day might come when I am alone, with no income, no motivation and yearning for a change. I will then either try and find this post to remind me what to do, or get myself out for some fresh air an interact with people again. Given a choice between being alone and huddled around a radiator in an OAP Home, back home, with similar dependent people or having a special friend here to take care of me, ( NOTHING IS FREE ) then I hope I make the right one !

• Like 1

I do like the OP`s comment; He came 12 tears ago, that just about sums this story up.

For many of us, have to consider that we are foreigners in this foreign land and even I get what I describe as the Thailand blues at times.

I do blame this on many of the ex-pats living here for not being more sociable and that consider other ex-pats as those to avoid, even I am guilty of this but only because they appear to have arrogant and inhospitable attitudes that makes them seem the types who are unapproachable and many ex-pats, like the OP who alleges this is about the guy he spoke to but it`s not him of course, can become wary of rejection or afraid of being classified as people desperate for friends and weird for even wanting to associate with their peers as if it`s something not normal.

Here is a disturbing and tragic case of the most extreme, about a guy who fell ill in Chiang Mai and decided to commit suicide:

http://asiarecipe.com/Larry.html

My point being is, that many ex-pats can in later life suddenly find themselves living and feeling totally isolated here, a situation not easy to escape from in Thailand.

I believe this to be true of 'expats' everywhere. I remember being on a 'plane talking with a very conservatively dressed woman who happened to be travelling to her home country. She told me her husband worked in Borneo and neither of them could stand the expat community.

The only decent expats I seem to meet here are the ones who keep themselves to themselves. So can be mistaken for exhibiting indifference. But once you've made the effort to talk to them, you find out they can't abide all the other up their **** for no good reason/con artists/faux SAS/psychopaths and Walter Mitty's either. I can count on one hand the number of expats I truly trust and like. So it's not just Thailand. Although it does appear to attract more than it's fair share of nutters.

it attracts so many because so many of them were screw ups where they came from and no woman would give them the time of day and the chance at easy sex brought them flocking.