Anyone feel stuck ?

MichaelJackson

you dont pay income tax in your home country? not enough income?

Apparently, the son of mogh, used the US to amass his millions and then ditched without paying the bill for services rendered.

i dont understand how. doesnt america require their citizens pay tax on all income no matter where it is earned?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

to the best of my knowledge only Americans are the unlucky ones liable to pay income tax in their home country even if they live in the jungle of Papua New Guinea or on a remote island in the South Pacific.

note: not living in Germany and not matching the points i mentioned before (keeping an "abode for living purposes" there) reduces my income tax liability to zero.

to the best of my knowledge only Americans are the unlucky ones liable to pay income tax in their home country even if they live in the jungle of Papua New Guinea or on a remote island in the South Pacific.

note: not living in Germany and not matching the points i mentioned before (keeping an "abode for living purposes" there) reduces my income tax liability to zero.

isnt your german pension classed as income and subject to income tax? how about any investment income generated in germany?

Apparently, the son of mogh, used the US to amass his millions and then ditched without paying the bill for services rendered.

the son of Mogh and his wife spent nearly 15 happy years retiree years in the U.S. not liable to pay a cent to the IRS because, based on a double tax agreement, they paid income tax in Germany where they kept a home which was not rented out, id est the home was any time available to us for living purposes.

selling eventually our home in Germany made us liable to pay U.S. income tax and i went to a tax solicitor with all kinds of documents (including a bundle of form 1099) to file a return.

-you and your wife a German citizens Sir?

-yes, vee are.

-do you or your wife have a green card?

-no vee do not.

-have you entered the U.S. based on an application for immigration/citizenship?

-no, vee are on visas vizz a 10 year validity vhich allows us to shtay 6 monss vone stretch. after zis period ve have to leaf ze kountry have lunch in ze Bahamas and vhen vee return we get another 6 monss of shtay.

-then you can't file a return because you are not liable to pay income tax.

-oh yes, Right Honourable Solicitor, Esq. vee are verry mutch liable to pay.

-what is the basis of your assumption?

-ze basis of our assumptchion is the IRS Substantial Presence Test vhich might even make an innocent tourist liable if he matches ze criteria.

-where is that documented Sir?

-right here dear Solicitor, Esq. :

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Substantial-Presence-Test

Substantial Presence Test

You will be considered a U.S. resident for tax purposes if you meet the substantial presence test for the calendar year. To meet this test, you must be physically present in the United States on at least:

1. 31 days during the current year, and
  2. 183 days during the 3-year period that includes the current year and the 2 years immediately before that, counting:

It took me 9 month to realize that ;

- The laws and regulation of Thailand are not foreigner friendly

- People keep on judging you to know where you fit in their feudal ranking system, "equal" is not part of the Thai vocabulary.

- The weather is way too hot to be considered "comfortable"

and the food is not good.

So how someone is in right mind can spend 12 years in this country is something I don't really understand. Being "stuck" is maybe the explanation.

would you understand people who stay in Thailand and live a comfortable life by spending 100,000 (or much more) Dollars using only a part of the amount of income tax which they do not pay in their home country?

based on the afore-mentioned would you understand that these people give a sh1t² whether they "fit in a ranking system" or whether "equal" or whatever expression is a part of the Thai vocabulary?

are you aware that spending an appropriate amount of money you can eat the same food which people eat in Paris, New York, Tokyo, San Francisco, Munich, Rome, Geneva (or you name it). i deliberately did not mention London because there's no good food tongue.png

of course your answer to all my three question will be "no" because an income out of which a taxman claws 100 or 150k is obviously far beyond your comprehension.

now tell me again something of "right mind" but let me add that agree with you that Thailand's weather is too hot for my taste thumbsup.gif

As Henry Ford said, "Money doesn't change men, it merely unmasks them. If a man is naturally selfish or arrogant or greedy, the money brings that out, that's all."

to the dismay and envy of many unsuccessful men, many of them never having tried hard enough except looking for citations of famous persons which fit their views and opinions.

post-35218-0-95219800-1403664590.jpg

The US health care system is so much better than the NHS if only in that there is no waiting. I have no interest in being on an NHS which has a 2 year waiting time and effectively a death sentence for people who are very old and frail.

I believe those in the UK suffering chest pain are seen immediately and for free.

Waiting lists are for those with recurring problems, non-essential problems and problems unlikely to be cured.

So while an aching hip, would require a wait, a chest pain wouldn't.

Correct.

Any emergency care is immediate.

the only thing i know that most British expats living in Thailand are not liable to pay U.K. tax.

Another poster made the point that the two groups who survive comfortably as expats in Thailand are the wealthy and those on final salary pensions. I thought that those who earned such a pension by working in the UK are then locked into UK income tax, Am I wrong?

Several people on the thread seem to think that NHS waiting lists are very long. There is always room for improvement, but the target in England is a maximum of 18 weeks from GP referral to treatment for most common conditions, and less for urgent conditions (see a consultant within two weeks for suspected cancer).

http://www.nhs.uk/choiceintheNHS/Rightsandpledges/Waitingtimes/Pages/Guide%20to%20waiting%20times.aspx

The targets in the other three UK countries are all a little different, but only slightly longer.

Edited by citizen33

the only thing i know that most British expats living in Thailand are not liable to pay U.K. tax.

Another poster made the point that the two groups who survive comfortably as expats in Thailand are the wealthy and those on final salary pensions. I thought that those who earned such a pension by working in the UK are then locked into UK income tax, Am I wrong?

Several people on the thread seem to think that NHS waiting lists are very long. There is always room for improvement, but the target in England is a maximum of 18 weeks from GP referral to treatment for most common conditions, and less for urgent conditions (see a consultant within two weeks for suspected cancer).

http://www.nhs.uk/choiceintheNHS/Rightsandpledges/Waitingtimes/Pages/Guide%20to%20waiting%20times.aspx

The targets in the other three UK countries are all a little different, but only slightly longer.

Yes and thats why Belgiums hospital parking spaces are full with cars with English and Dutch license plates because their own country's can't provide them a decent health care system .

I am not sure if this is a thread about

A) making poor and irreversible financial decisions or

B) living in Thailand for over decade and feeling unable to leave even though you have an inkling to.

I never do A) but I am doing B).

I think though its pretty normal to think about moving on , or feeling stuck for any long term stayers, though it might only be a passing thought.

If i was waking up everyday for a few months questioning it, i would think then maybe it is time.

I hated my job this morning, two hours later I loved it.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I hated my job this morning, two hours later I loved it.

...because i spent the last two hours reading Thaivisa and thought: hell i even get paid to read this sh$$t.

no offence intended Snotty- just my two cents.

- People keep on judging you to know where you fit in their feudal ranking system, "equal" is not part of the Thai vocabulary.

So how someone is in right mind can spend 12 years in this country is something I don't really understand. Being "stuck" is maybe the explanation.

would you understand people who stay in Thailand and live a comfortable life by spending 100,000 (or much more) Dollars using only a part of the amount of income tax which they do not pay in their home country?

based on the afore-mentioned would you understand that these people give a sh1t² whether they "fit in a ranking system" or whether "equal" or whatever expression is a part of the Thai vocabulary?

are you aware that spending an appropriate amount of money you can eat the same food which people eat in Paris, New York, Tokyo, San Francisco, Munich, Rome, Geneva (or you name it). i deliberately did not mention London because there's no good food tongue.png

of course your answer to all my three question will be "no" because an income out of which a taxman claws 100 or 150k is obviously far beyond your comprehension.

now tell me again something of "right mind" but let me add that agree with you that Thailand's weather is too hot for my taste thumbsup.gif

As Henry Ford said, "Money doesn't change men, it merely unmasks them. If a man is naturally selfish or arrogant or greedy, the money brings that out, that's all."

to the dismay and envy of many unsuccessful men, many of them never having tried hard enough except looking for citations of famous persons which fit their views and opinions.

attachicon.gifL-dog vvvs.jpg

Each successful man identifies his own priorities and works to achieve them. I wouldn't think of parading mine here on an internet forum as you appear constantly motivated to do. Perhaps its a German thing, but as a rural American, I find it odd that a successful man would be so compelled for complete strangers' approvals.

As to the OP, you have certainly received several insightful responses. There are some things in life to go "all in" for...example "family", however, with financial matters, best not to bet more than you can afford to lose.

Edited by ClutchClark

The US health care system is so much better than the NHS if only in that there is no waiting. I have no interest in being on an NHS which has a 2 year waiting time and effectively a death sentence for people who are very old and frail.

I believe those in the UK suffering chest pain are seen immediately and for free.

Waiting lists are for those with recurring problems, non-essential problems and problems unlikely to be cured.

So while an aching hip, would require a wait, a chest pain wouldn't.

Correct.

Any emergency care is immediate.

In America, any immediate emergency care comes with a quite hefty pricetag.

No wonder you feel at home in Thailand. You don't even know me but yet you feel the urge to tell me how much money you spend, the nice, expensive restaurants you patronize and how much tax you pay. And then you tell me you don't give a sh_t where you fit in the society ? You're right at home here.

Edit : You don't judge a good restaurant based on the amount of the bill but the quality of the food.

you need reading glasses dear Sir and try hard to refrain from hallucinating. i neither mentioned that i patronise expensive restaurants and i never mentioned any restaurant bills (fact is that i don't like restaurants and prefer to eat at home when not travelling) nor did i mention how much tax i pay. what i mentioned is that i do not pay any tax and that these tax savings are covering more than my total living expenses in Thailand.

i have never felt "home" in any of the half dozen countries i lived, that applies to my "home" country too and i don't feel "home" in Thailand. however, i feel very much "home" in my home which for a number of reasons happens to be located in Thailand.

if for some reason my English is not good enough for you to understand you may ask for a translation in a fistful of other languages, assuming i master them.

ruhig blut kamerad.nothing gets eaten as hot as it gets cooked.

to the rural American:

if you call my stating of facts "parading" you have my sympathy. i've read the same lame, irrelevant and "holier than thou" comments like yours dozens of time, e.g. when a poor little man posts in Thaivisa that he watched from a bus a "stupid" man in a very expensive car being stuck like him in traffic.

most interesting were the comments of a (perhaps not so rural) American who attacked me viciously me for mentioning my electricity bill in a thread with the topic "How Much Do You Pay For Electricity?"

if anybody calls people stupid because their wives do not clean the home or cook because they employ staff for these jobs or because they own a couple of cars each a fistful million Baht instead of a Honda Click or blaming them they are not in their right mind if they live longer periods in Thailand he will face my rebuttal without asking for any "approval".

i usually do not bother commenting remarks like "the food is not good" which clearly indicates the IQ of the poster tongue.png. in the case i am referring to that comment was a part of the package that triggered my comment which he later tried to twist and turn in a ridiculous way.

to sum it up... it's none of your business what i "parade" or don't.

to the rural American:

if you call my stating of facts "parading" you have my sympathy. i've read the same lame, irrelevant and "holier than thou" comments like yours dozens of time, e.g. when a poor little man posts in Thaivisa that he watched from a bus a "stupid" man in a very expensive car being stuck like him in traffic.

most interesting were the comments of a (perhaps not so rural) American who attacked me viciously me for mentioning my electricity bill in a thread with the topic "How Much Do You Pay For Electricity?"

if anybody calls people stupid because their wives do not clean the home or cook because they employ staff for these jobs or because they own a couple of cars each a fistful million Baht instead of a Honda Click or blaming them they are not in their right mind if they live longer periods in Thailand he will face my rebuttal without asking for any "approval".

i usually do not bother commenting remarks like "the food is not good" which clearly indicates the IQ of the poster tongue.png. in the case i am referring to that comment was a part of the package that triggered my comment which he later tried to twist and turn in a ridiculous way.

You certainly get worked up easily ;-)

Going "all in" anywhere is a risky proposition. I knew so many in the states that were "all in" meaning they bought the big house, the fancy cars and lived way beyond their means, thus being "Stuck" or as some have said in the states "Trapped". In fact interestingly there was a poll out not to long ago and some 45% of US citizens feel trapped due to children, job, salary required to sustain themselves etc. Just goes to show you people feel "Stuck" even in their home countries.

IMHO being stuck or trapped is self induced based on poor planning or no plan or foresight at all.

With that said, one should always have a contingency plan. I have a house in Thailand with my missus on land I cant own. I brought a lot of my personal items here that I wanted but I could leave them if required. I own a truck. But I am quite happy and do not let the riff raff and negativity of disgruntled forum posters influence my state of mind ever.

I do however live by one hard fast rule here and would anywhere I moved abroad, I will invest no more than I am comfortable losing. I also house all my finances in the states so hopping a plane back while clearly not what I want to do, I can. I will never feel stuck or trapped.

We're talking about wealthy people again?

The poor never have options, choices, or the ability to plan.

You know I can argue the statement on the sheer fact that EVERYONE has options, choices and the ability to plan. Most choose not to. Its easier to play the victim then do anything about it. Change is hard, choices can take some thought. Generally people are lazy and feel entitled. The people in the US or Thailand that feel trapped or stuck made choices, now they are living with the consequences of those decisions.

And no I was not referencing wealthy people. I know I am sure not. But I am competent to make plans and choices and am willing to live with the outcome.

• Like 1

I awoke feeling bummed today. Then I was very relieved reading an passage from a book of Ani Pema Chodron. I am reminded that any feeling, stuck, dark, anxious is nothing but an absurd fantasy of ones own mind. getting over this may take a lifetime or never. It is really up to you.

I took a two hour bicycle ride and had a nice day.

to the rural American:

You certainly get worked up easily ;-)

i enjoy that kind of being "worked up" and grin when i read irrelevant remarks from cornered people who have nothing tangible to present.

OP,

A few warning signs if a guy feels "stuck" in Thailand is he has trouble staying focused on a thread, constantly tries to convince others that he is very satisfied and successful with his life in LOS and becomes easily agitated.

Does your acquaintance display any of these symptoms? If so, then try and encourage him with a bit of humor and re-assure him not to be so hard on himself.

Edited by ClutchClark