Anyone feel stuck ?

MichaelJackson

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Perhaps it's lost on me, but it would seem that one can feel "stuck" pretty much anywhere. There are plenty of Americans in the US who are stuck in their mundane, dreary lives. And many do it in sub-freezing temperatures half the year. If I had to choose a place to get "stuck," Thailand would be pretty high on the list.

• Like 1

Each situation is different but I've met people who've been in Thailand a long time and forget why they came here in the first place, they have a slightly rosy image of what life was like back home in their heads which probably doesn't match the reality. Not being able to home for a few months to remind yourself of the difference would feed into the 'grass is greener elsewhere' feeling I imagine.

Perhaps for UK expats, those who have been here for some years, the absence of medical insurance combined with advancing years probably makes memories of what the NHS might provide may distort the view?

• Like 2

I never feel stuck, except in My old Jeans, but that's another story. I have the flexibility to come and go, which I think makes all the difference.

Ever watched a cow chewing on the grass on the other side of a barbed wire fence. ;)

Dr Will feels something stuck though.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I never feel stuck, except in My old Jeans, but that's another story. I have the flexibility to come and go, which I think makes all the difference.

Ever watched a cow chewing on the grass on the other side of a barbed wire fence. ;)

Dr Will. Snotty are you taking the hard stuff again ?

• Like 1

Dr Will. Snotty are you taking the hard stuff again ?

Lol, a Guinness.

• Like 1

I am not sure if this is a thread about

A) making poor and irreversible financial decisions or

BEE) living in Thailand for over decade and feeling unable to leave even though you have an inkling to.

I never do A) but I am doing BEE).

Edited by Briggsy
  • Like 1

I am not sure if this is a thread about

A) making poor and irreversible financial decisions or

B) living in Thailand for over decade and feeling unable to leave even though you have an inkling to.

I never do A) but I am doing B).

I think though its pretty normal to think about moving on , or feeling stuck for any long term stayers, though it might only be a passing thought.

If i was waking up everyday for a few months questioning it, i would think then maybe it is time.

I hated my job this morning, two hours later I loved it.

People get "stuck" because they never tried to adapt and fit in. He needs to go back to the UK for a month and then he will realize how stuck he is. Free medical right? Get on a two year waiting list.

• Like 1

Every card is stacked against you - every single one.

I'm sorry I completely disagree with this line!

I think the Thai culture for a bachelor with only a C+ education anyway, is a wonderful opportunity!

Its been designed by men, for men.

The dating rules are dictated and influenced by decades old chauvinistic values.

So for a chauvinist, confident alpha male , it creates a fertile hunting ground.

With almost no chance of getting burned!

You only need a degree of logic, a basic understanding of their culture, an understanding that nothing lasts forever, and of course, it almost goes without saying, enough resources!

Every card is stacked against you - every single one.

I'm sorry I completely disagree with this line!

I think the Thai culture for a bachelor with only a C+ education anyway, is a wonderful opportunity!

Its been designed by men, for men.

The dating rules are dictated and influenced by decades old chauvinistic values.

So for a chauvinist, confident alpha male , it creates a fertile hunting ground.

With almost no chance of getting burned!

You only need a degree of logic, a basic understanding of their culture, an understanding that nothing lasts forever, and of course, it almost goes without saying, enough resources!

I was referring to the legal situation.

Can you tell me in which way(s) you qualify as an alpha-male?

Being thick is not normally recognized as one of them.

• Like 2

Perhaps for UK expats, those who have been here for some years, the absence of medical insurance combined with advancing years probably makes memories of what the NHS might provide may distort the view?

I have an American expat friend that returned to the US for the summer about a month ago. Within a day that individual was feeling unwell, chest pains, and a weird pain in the calf muscle. The person I refer to is only 44. I said - go get it checked out, it could be a clot.

Three weeks they hung out against going to hospital. Three ridiculous weeks, until the pain got too much. After a battery of tests it came back that the doctor believed that a blood clot had occurred but cleared naturally. I'm not a doctor, I have no comment to make - except this. That individual has now been presented with a bill for $7,000 - and as they said to me - "can you now see why I was holding out?"

Yes I can - we Brits have to be thankful for the NHS.

I don't think I've liked more posts on a thread ever. Some truly excellent points being made here. Earlier I had to brush off an attack on an thread where I pointed out that Thai law is very fair to foreigners - it makes it clear from the beginning that you have no place here.

Every card is stacked against you - every single one. The two most important cards for any stable life are - right to abode - effectively denied to every foreigner here, and the right to own your own home, also denied outwith condos, and even then you have to make sure you comply with the 49% rule.

Most of the problems that occur in a financial sense are a result of people allowing emotion to take the place of reason. No reasonable person would pump all their money into a house they cannot own, especially when its linked to marriage, where even in most western countries there is a 50% chance of divorce. I don't know the divorce rate between Thai/farang here but I'm guessing its higher than 50%.

Would you walk into a bookmakers and wager £100,000 on a 50/50 bet? I think not, especially if it was your life savings. So no crying when you lose, please - its you that allowed emotion to defeat logic.

So you've buried all your capital into a Thai black hole? what you going to do now?

why would a foreigner expect to have a RIGHT to own your own home in a foreign country? and I doubt the divorce rate would be lower in any country where so many marry prostitutes.

Just as a matter of interest.....27% rise in divorce over the last 10 years

"Public Health Ministry spokeswoman Panpimol Wipulakorn said yesterday the National Statistical Office's 2012 report found 314,338 couples married and 111,377 divorced.

In 2003, 328,356 couples had wed and 80,836 divorced. Panpimol said couples suffered work-related stress while the value of independence made them less tolerant."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Divorce-rate-up-27-per-cent-over-past-decade-30231495.html

• Like 1

I have an American expat friend that returned to the US for the summer about a month ago. Within a day that individual was feeling unwell, chest pains, and a weird pain in the calf muscle. The person I refer to is only 44. I said - go get it checked out, it could be a clot.

Three weeks they hung out against going to hospital. Three ridiculous weeks, until the pain got too much. After a battery of tests it came back that the doctor believed that a blood clot had occurred but cleared naturally. I'm not a doctor, I have no comment to make - except this. That individual has now been presented with a bill for $7,000 - and as they said to me - "can you now see why I was holding out?"

I don't think I've liked more posts on a thread ever. Some truly excellent points being made here. Earlier I had to brush off an attack on an thread where I pointed out that Thai law is very fair to foreigners - it makes it clear from the beginning that you have no place here.

Every card is stacked against you - every single one. The two most important cards for any stable life are - right to abode - effectively denied to every foreigner here, and the right to own your own home, also denied outwith condos, and even then you have to make sure you comply with the 49% rule.

Most of the problems that occur in a financial sense are a result of people allowing emotion to take the place of reason. No reasonable person would pump all their money into a house they cannot own, especially when its linked to marriage, where even in most western countries there is a 50% chance of divorce. I don't know the divorce rate between Thai/farang here but I'm guessing its higher than 50%.

Would you walk into a bookmakers and wager £100,000 on a 50/50 bet? I think not, especially if it was your life savings. So no crying when you lose, please - its you that allowed emotion to defeat logic.

So you've buried all your capital into a Thai black hole? what you going to do now?

why should a foreigner have an expectation of having a RIGHT to own a home? And I doubt the divorce rate would be much lower in any situation where so many married prostitutes.

• Like 1

Being stuck is in your mind.. sell everything leave not that hard really. There are many other places to go many very close to here.

Can't believe some people go all in with no way out. I always have an insurance policy ( bag and money ready to go ).

• Like 2

why should a foreigner have an expectation of having a RIGHT to own a home? And I doubt the divorce rate would be much lower in any situation where so many married prostitutes.

Where did I mention prostitutes? Is that your level?

I, as a Brit, can legally own a home in dozens of foreign countries in my name. You can start with the 28 members of the EU countries alone, there are plenty more beyond that.

Mr AYJEEDEE - if you don't know what you are talking about, I advise you not to post.

It's embarrassing.

• Like 2

Where did I mention prostitutes? Is that your level?

I, as a Brit, can legally own a home in dozens of foreign countries in my name. You can start with the 28 members of the EU countries alone, there are plenty more beyond that.

Mr AYJEEDEE - if you don't know what you are talking about, I advise you not to post.

It's embarrassing.

and what does the EU have to do with thailand? if you want to own a home in a foreign country so bad, i suggest you live in a country that allows it instead of moving to one that doesnt and then whingeing about it. and if you dont believe an inordinate number of farang/thai marriages involve prostitutes, i have a bridge you might like to buy.

and save your advice for someone else pal.

• Like 2

^^ Touched a nerve have I?

I pointed out that I, as a Brit, have the right to own a home on dozens of countries, and that caused you to spit the dummy out like an impetuous baby.

What's it got to do with Thailand? I clearly, unless you have lost the ability to read, pointed out earlier that there is no point crying about the fact that Thai law is weighed against you.

Now, I know having to think about two related things at the same time may be too much for you. I suggest you go for a lie down.

You're getting angry over nothing.

Pal.

• Like 1

I pointed out that I, as a Brit, have the right to own a home on dozens of countries, and that caused you to spit the dummy out like an impetuous baby.

What's it got to do with Thailand? I clearly, unless you have lost the ability to read, pointed out earlier that there is no point crying about the fact that Thai law is weighed against you.

Now, I know having to think about two related things at the same time may be too much for you. I suggest you go for a lie down.

Pal.

and yet youre still crying!! lol. the phrase 'whingeing pom" may be the most descriptive term in the english language!! lol

Pal.

and yet youre still crying!! lol. only a brit would move to a country knowing the rules full well and then spend the rest of his miserable existence whining about them!!

• Like 1

Pal.

and yet youre still crying!! lol. only a brit would move to a country knowing the rules full well and then spend the rest of his miserable existence whining about them!!

I'm crying?

What are you? drunk? or just an imbecile.

Anyone with eyes can see that I said don't cry when it all goes against you.

I have not one singular penny invested in Thailand.

In fact. I don't live here.

I'm one of those annoying, wealthy bastids that floats around as the world.

My main complaint is the configuration of business class seats.

I have no complaint about Thai women, as I don't have a Thai girlfriend.

Some tortures are too much to bear.

Pal.

I'm crying?

lol! my second favourite trait of brits after their whining, is the fact that they are all rich, handsome successful adonises basking in the admiration of the worlds huddled masses. as they huddle in front of their tiny fire in a miseable little north country hovel! lol

Pal.

I'm crying?

lol! my second favourite trait of brits after their whining, is the fact that they are all rich, handsome successful adonises basking in the admiration of the worlds huddled masses. as they huddle in front of their tiny fire in a miseable little north country hovel! lol

Do you have any idea how childish you are now looking?

• Like 1