Boy's Cookie Run ‘hack’ fails, mom billed for THB200,000

webfact

I've just glanced over this thread...

'

Nobody has said that "Cookie run" and any similar app that allow to accumulate debt on unsecured credit, by delivering virtually nothing, are just a scam by phone companies?

-

Well, that is what they are;

Have you ever heard of the app LINE? It's an app to staying in contact with your friends for free over internet. They have many games connected to the app that are free to play but you can make in game purchases, that's how they get the money to pay for developing and maintenance off the app and games. This is the company that own Cookie Run.

Do you understand that it cost money to have servers and people working for you? Thaivisa is also free to use but have alot of commercials instead to get the money needed!

All the games on Facebook works the same way, that you can make in game purchases. So I guess Facebook is just a scamming company too?!

Have you ever bought an app in the app store? If you are not satisfied with it then it's a scam too as you can't return it right?! So that's makes Apple and Google scams too because they sell it or facilitate for the downloads?!

• Like 1

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'

Nobody has said that "Cookie run" and any similar app that allow to accumulate debt on unsecured credit, by delivering virtually nothing, are just a scam by phone companies?

-

Have you ever heard of the app LINE? It's an app to staying in contact with your friends for free over internet. They have many games connected to the app that are free to play but you can make in game purchases, that's how they get the money to pay for developing and maintenance off the app and games. This is the company that own Cookie Run.

Do you understand that it cost money to have servers and people working for you? Thaivisa is also free to use but have alot of commercials instead to get the money needed!

All the games on Facebook works the same way, that you can make in game purchases. So I guess Facebook is just a scamming company too?!

Have you ever bought an app in the app store? If you are not satisfied with it then it's a scam too as you can't return it right?! So that's makes Apple and Google scams too because they sell it or facilitate for the downloads?!

PAZ: I think a lot of people have said or implied that "Cookie run" is a scam, and the lack of controls by AIS/LINE are the primary reason for the huge bill.

For me, it took nearly a month to remove LINE from my Galaxy Note 2 after it somehow installed itself as a system app. I nearly needed to root my phone to get the &%^# malware off.

The type of in app purchases that "Cookie run" allows should be easily banned by the Android or IOS through a lockable parental control and perhaps if there are enough incidents like this, then Google and Apple will wake up and integrate an easy way to disallow them in the OS.

For me, while I strongly believe that parents should be held responsible for the actions of their children, I don't think that the bill should exceed a reasonable credit limit (perhaps 10-20000 THB), after which the burden is on AIS to justify why reasonable controls were not in place.

The real reason that AIS/LINE may of retracted the bill is from a fear that Google/Apple and legislation will wake up an ban such apps in the future, thus eliminating their cash cow.

Well I don't know about yours but my smart phones (iPhone & Samsung) BOTH make it very clear after installing any similar app that there are in app/game purchase charges... If you still click AGREE... SOM NOM NAA, you hVe to suffer the consequences!

All smart phones have parental controls nowadays to stop stuff like this happening, if the parents aren't as smart as their smart phone then more fool them for their immature FACE status. "Look at meee and my nice new phone"...

The user is to blame here, nobody else and certainly not the companies providing the service.

It's not a scam because there's warning telling you that you WILL BE CHARGED IF YOU ACCEPT.

All you have to do IS READ the terms and conditions and pop up badges which CLEARLY STATE THIS.

How many times did these kids click Accept knowing full well they should be paying for it be but thought they were cheating the system with a so called Crack?

As for kids thinking they're smart by watching a video on YouTube (uploaded by Line of course ) that shows you how to cheat the system "be fraudulent", they are just thieves.

FRAUD IS THEFT as simple as that!

There's nothing illegal about uploading a video with false information on YouTube

So again, I say Som Nom Naa to those fools thinking they can beat/cheat the system.

Send me all out to hard labour to pay the bills.

Thailand's filthy streets could do with a good clean, and while they're at it they can collect all the rubbish lining the streets of Thailand and possibly make some cash at the recycle plant, which will help them to pay the bill more quickly.

Two birds with one stone [emoji106]

As for kids thinking they're smart by watching a video on YouTube (uploaded by Line of course ) that shows you how to cheat the system "be fraudulent", they are just thieves.

There's nothing illegal about uploading a video with false information on YouTube

[emoji106]

If LINE knowingly uploaded a video to dupe elementary school age children into hacking a game, that would be much more serious than an elementary school kid hacking a phone game.

I don't know if it would violate a conspiracy law; but it is highly unethical and should not be tolerated. How can we expect school children to understand right from wrong when we tolerate such overtly unethical acts by large companies.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

[emoji106]

If LINE knowingly uploaded a video to dupe elementary school age children into hacking a game, that would be much more serious than an elementary school kid hacking a phone game.

I don't know if it would violate a conspiracy law; but it is highly unethical and should not be tolerated. How can we expect school children to understand right from wrong when we tolerate such overtly unethical acts by large companies.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yeah but in reality,

Just because the channel says it's Line, it doesn't mean that account belongs to the company.

They'd be pretty stupid to make such an faux pas wouldn't you agree?

I could make a YouTube account called "cookie run programmer"... Need I go on?

'

-

The most complicated game ever created, developed for years by a team of hundreds of top programmers, graphists, designers, etc... cost a best 80$ to purchase.

To be able to spend 600.000 thb on a crappy game developed in 3 days is no more than an elaborate scam. This particular game is done so that the in-app purchases are mixed with free bonuses. Moreover the target audience of this game are children who can be easily confused between the application free coins and real currency, or don't really understand what in app purchases mean. After all it's a game promoted as totally free to play.

Being able to monetise an app is off course legitimate, but there should be a cap on what you can spend in the application.

• Like 1

Well I don't know about yours but my smart phones (iPhone & Samsung) BOTH make it very clear after installing any similar app that there are in app/game purchase charges... If you still click AGREE... SOM NOM NAA, you hVe to suffer the consequences!

All smart phones have parental controls nowadays to stop stuff like this happening, if the parents aren't as smart as their smart phone then more fool them for their immature FACE status. "Look at meee and my nice new phone"...

The user is to blame here, nobody else and certainly not the companies providing the service.

It's not a scam because there's warning telling you that you WILL BE CHARGED IF YOU ACCEPT.

All you have to do IS READ the terms and conditions and pop up badges which CLEARLY STATE THIS.

How many times did these kids click Accept knowing full well they should be paying for it be but thought they were cheating the system with a so called Crack?

So again, I say Som Nom Naa to those fools thinking they can beat/cheat the system.

Send me all out to hard labour to pay the bills.

Thailand's filthy streets could do with a good clean, and while they're at it they can collect all the rubbish lining the streets of Thailand and possibly make some cash at the recycle plant, which will help them to pay the bill more quickly.

Two birds with one stone [emoji106]

Award of the most despicable post of the year!

Som nam na! That kid should work for 15 years in a fish factory to pay off this debt, even though what he "stole" can be infinitely duplicated, can't be selled, and Line wouldn't even have suffered any financial loss if the hack had been successful.

Are you the type to fist pump twice in the air and dance of joy for an hour when hearing the news about those teenagers who are sentenced to hundred of thousands of dollar fines for having downloaded three justin bieber songs?

What would happen if your phone was stolen and the thief installed this game and run a 10 million baht bill? What would you say? "Fair enough AIS, here is the check, I should not have let someone stole my phone..." wai2.gif

• Like 1

'

-

The most complicated game ever created, developed for years by a team of hundreds of top programmers, graphists, designers, etc... cost a best 80$ to purchase.

To be able to spend 600.000 thb on a crappy game developed in 3 days is no more than an elaborate scam. This particular game is done so that the in-app purchases are mixed with free bonuses. Moreover the target audience of this game are children who can be easily confused between the application free coins and real currency, or don't really understand what in app purchases mean. After all it's a game promoted as totally free to play.

Being able to monetise an app is off course legitimate, but there should be a cap on what you can spend in the application.

I have been playing Cookie Run sins April and have not spend a single Baht on it!

In app purchase mean that you can buy advances or upgrades for (real) money in a free app. All "free" games and extra functions you have on Facebook use the same solution. And many "free" apps you find in the app stores works in the same way if it's a game or whatever it is!

• Like 1

'

-

I have been playing Cookie Run sins April and have not spend a single Baht on it!

In app purchase mean that you can buy advances or upgrades for (real) money in a free app. All "free" games and extra functions you have on Facebook use the same solution. And many "free" apps you find in the app stores works in the same way if it's a game or whatever it is!

Err... thank you captain obvious!

Som nam na! That kid should work for 15 years in a fish factory to pay off this debt, even though what he "stole" can be infinitely duplicated, can't be selled, and Line wouldn't even have suffered any financial loss if the hack had been successful.

Are you the type to fist pump twice in the air and dance of joy for an hour when hearing the news about those teenagers who are sentenced to hundred of thousands of dollar fines for having downloaded three justin bieber songs?

What would happen if your phone was stolen and the thief installed this game and run a 10 million baht bill? What would you say? "Fair enough AIS, here is the check, I should not have let someone stole my phone..." wai2.gif

Oh... you again!

Is this a personal vendetta or what?nare you still crying about the other day,,, or has it simmered down to sulking now?

Really...

I said put them on the streets to clean up Thailand, where did you get fish markets from?

If my phone was stolen I'd soon know about it as would most people...

Ever heard of find my iPhone/Phone???

They've gotta crack the code first and by that time they would've been caught... My SIM card has a password on it so that ain't gonna work either!

And honestly... Do you honestly think that someone's going to steal a phone and then take the time to crack it to get around the password so they can install and play cookie run??? I don't think so.

By the way, I'm not a dumbass and my account is suspended the moment it gets to 20,000 Baht...

Once bitten with roaming charges twice shy... So it ain't never gonna happen is it...

Next?

'

-

Hear hear, I agree.

Oh... you again!

Is this a personal vendetta or what?nare you still crying about the other day,,, or has it simmered down to sulking now?

Really...

I said put them on the streets to clean up Thailand, where did you get fish markets from?

If my phone was stolen I'd soon know about it as would most people...

Ever heard of find my iPhone/Phone???

They've gotta crack the code first and by that time they would've been caught... My SIM card has a password on it so that ain't gonna work either!

And honestly... Do you honestly think that someone's going to steal a phone and then take the time to crack it to get around the password so they can install and play cookie run??? I don't think so.

By the way, I'm not a dumbass and my account is suspended the moment it gets to 20,000 Baht...

Once bitten with roaming charges twice shy... So it ain't never gonna happen is it...

Next?

Sorry, nothing personal, I usually react on thai visa when I see idiotic or horrific posts, it seems it is just a coincidence yours frequently fall in one of those categories.

Fish factory or cleaning the street is the same, you think it's sane to send a 12 year boy quit school and work 10 years to pay a ridiculous debt as a slave? Seems fair and compassionate.

It seemed pretty obvious but my question was not technical, I could not care less about your proficiencies with cellphons (congrats, you are not as dimwitted as this "dumbass"), but hypothetical. The details are not important, hacking, 2 year old nephew doing something stupid, theft, whatever... Should you receive a bill equivalent to 5 years of your net income, would you pay it?

Talk about the pot and the kettle...

You're at it again!

Who said about making him quit school??

School is Monday to Friday

Weekends is street cleaning time, not play time and certainly NOT cookie run time!

At £700 per offshore day it wouldn't take me long to pay the debt would it, dumbasses could only dream of having a job like mine! [emoji362][emoji56]

Yeah I really listened at school and college.

But I still wouldn't and DON'T let kids play with my phone, iPad or computer...

If they are allowed to play with my iPad ONLY I turn on the restrictions, which is set up for meddling kid mode, no access to the App Store, no in game purchases no nothing, just play the games as they are or not at all.

How SIMPLE is that? well not to a dumbass it's not so no surprise you'd be in the same situation as the 12yr old

Letting this kid off the hook doesn't teach him nothing and he'll only know he's got away with it and move onto something bigger thinking he can be let off that too.

Simple message here... If you can do the crime you can suffer the time.

You seem adamant that I'm the only one with this attitude of mine towards this topic?

Either you can't read and digest or this really is a vendetta because you feel you need some kind of online revenge...

Still sulking...

I think this boy can get high scores by himself ,don't have to hack it anymore.

What is the real reason that one person want to get the highest scores?

How can they proud of their scores while they didn't use their own ability?

So in my opinion we can get the highest scores in every thing we want if we do our best.clap2.gifthumbsup.gif

It seemed pretty obvious but my question was not technical, I could not care less about your proficiencies with cellphons (congrats, you are not as dimwitted as this "dumbass"), but hypothetical. The details are not important, hacking, 2 year old nephew doing something stupid, theft, whatever... Should you receive a bill equivalent to 5 years of your net income, would you pay it?

At £700 per offshore day it wouldn't take me long to pay the debt would it, dumbasses could only dream of having a job like mine!

Excuse me as I dry-heave, but let's suppose this is true; the question was regarding 5 years income - so the more you earn the higher the penalty - if you work 180 days in a year how would you react to a bill for £630,000? Wouldn't take long?

Consumers get protection in most civilised countries as far as I am aware.

This is the oldest trick in the book and has been fought ever since the advertising game was born; fool kids into wanting more of your product with 'free' offers, eg kiddies meals at Mc Ds - kids have no concept of finances really and select things based on impulse. To take advantage of this and expect parents to just pay up is dumb - it's extortion. AIS are facilitators at very least, but must profit too, at the expense of their customer.

Edited by ParadiseLost

The original article states that the boy admits to unknowingly buying items to advance in the game. How does someone admit to doing something that they didn't know they did

He thought his hack had worked and he was getting them for free I would guess.
I never played that game , but usually does one not get warning that xxx amount will be charged and have to ok or decline that ?