M.Sc. in Petroleum Engineering @ Chula

Hello!

I'm a soon-to-be graduated Electrical Engineer (B.Sc) from a University in Sweden. Have previous working experience as a technician and an internship at an international oil & gas company.

My question is if anyone here knows anything about the M.Sc. in PE at Chulalongkorn University? The reason I want to study PE is of course that I want to get further into that sector. smile.png I've heard from fellow classmates that are attending at Mahidol that Chula is a good university but no one seems to know anything particular about the major in PE.

Would it be beneficial for me to study my M.Sc. or just a total waste of money and time? I've also have dual citizenship so the tuition fee are quite modest. Well, it's free in Sweden but it's much more fun here in Bangkok. smile.png

Any suggestions / advice?

Have you thought about a distance learning program, which you can do whilst working. I'm currently doing my Msc in Drilling / well engineering at Robert Gordon Uni in Aberdeen...all done online.

Google them. They have many engineering course including Petroleum.

Not cheap but worth it in the long run I reckon.

Let me ask this question do you intend getting into the business in Thailand or international ?

If international do your MSc in Europe, that's what most of the Thai nationals do

But if its Thailand, then its Chulalongkorn you want, reason being the all major O&G players in Thailand "invest" in these programmes and the students are hired from the graduate pool of Chula

Also, even if you graduate in Thailand, and work here as a Thai national ( you will not be taken on as an expat)

Be prepared to lower your salary expectations, even though the money is good by thai standards, not that good compared to "international" or "expat" money

Edited by Soutpeel

TheAceFace: Yes, I've been considering that aswell and done some research about it. Many websites writes that Petroleum should not only be taught via books but also with laborations as it is considered kind of practical in many ways. Also, I'm old fashioned and like to go to classes and have fellow classmates to discuss related problems with. What is your opinion about the M.Sc. in Drilling / Well Engineering? Is it easy to get accepted to the program or do you have to have extensive related work experiences? And what does the employeer think about an online M.Sc. degree?

Southpeel: Well, both. So I guess it is international then. :)

One of the main reason for me to study in Chula is that I like to stay in Bangkok and it also gives me time to practice my Thai as I'm at intermediate level in reading/writing and speaking at the moment. The problem is that maybe it isn't that well recognized abroad but with some related work experience I'll guess that the O&G companies doesn't really care where you took your degree? I'm just guessing here, please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Yeah, I've heard that Chevron among many other companies that are located in Thailand "invest" in that program and that's also a big reason why I'm considering Chula. Someone know how it is to work for a Thai O&G company? Is it still good money? Not that I care so much about my salary but I have my student loan to pay back, and it is quite big.... :D

And do you guys think it is best to work one year before I take my master degree in Petroleum even if I don't get a field position. However, I'm pretty sure I will get a "office job" in the petroleum sector...

TheAceFace: Yes, I've been considering that aswell and done some research about it. Many websites writes that Petroleum should not only be taught via books but also with laborations as it is considered kind of practical in many ways. Also, I'm old fashioned and like to go to classes and have fellow classmates to discuss related problems with. What is your opinion about the M.Sc. in Drilling / Well Engineering? Is it easy to get accepted to the program or do you have to have extensive related work experiences? And what does the employeer think about an online M.Sc. degree?

Southpeel: Well, both. So I guess it is international then. :)

One of the main reason for me to study in Chula is that I like to stay in Bangkok and it also gives me time to practice my Thai as I'm at intermediate level in reading/writing and speaking at the moment. The problem is that maybe it isn't that well recognized abroad but with some related work experience I'll guess that the O&G companies doesn't really care where you took your degree? I'm just guessing here, please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Yeah, I've heard that Chevron among many other companies that are located in Thailand "invest" in that program and that's also a big reason why I'm considering Chula. Someone know how it is to work for a Thai O&G company? Is it still good money? Not that I care so much about my salary but I have my student loan to pay back, and it is quite big.... :D

And do you guys think it is best to work one year before I take my master degree in Petroleum even if I don't get a field position. However, I'm pretty sure I will get a "office job" in the petroleum sector...

We all know the O&G game is very cliquey to start with and this is compounded in Thailand by the fact the school you went to and "surname" becomes important, if want to get "anywhere" career wise in the business as a Thai national, so the right school and right surname is important as well

Working as a Thai national at the level you would be coming in at, don't expect anymore than Thb 100k to Thb 120k/m after 10 years in you might be around the Thb 150-180/m mark

As stated previously you will not get expat money, and in fact there are not too many expats left in the game in Thailand, and you do know GOT only has a predicted life expectancy of 10-12 years tops and there will be nothing left to get out and everything will wind down

My advice do your MSc in Europe and try and get into the developing fields, Africa etc, you can get "expat" money and longer term prospects

Southpeel: Thank you for your answers. They are very much appreciated.

I understand that the right school is important to get me anywhere in Thailand, that's why my only options have been Chula and Mahidol. Mahidol however, doesn't offer any master degrees in areas that are interesting for me. I have a foreign surname, not really sure if it is a good or a bad thing... :)

If you are correct about the salary 100k baht/month is fantastic news! I would have easily accepted 50k baht/month as an entry level engineer. thumbsup.gif

Sorry but I don't understand GOT (I guess it's not Game of Thrones ;) ), but it has probably something to do with the O&G fields in Southeast Asia? Would it be a stupid decision to get your first years as a petroleum engineer in Thailand and later on advanced to the developing fields as Africa etc that you recommend? Because, like you just mentioned, the tricky part is to get into the business at first...

And I almost forgot; would the fact that I have tattoos be very disadvantageous for me? All of them can of course easily be covered with a long sleeve shirt and none of them are offensive in any way (if you don't have something against tattoos in general). My previous employers have had nothing against it, but they have all been Swedish and Norwegian. ;)

Southpeel: Thank you for your answers. They are very much appreciated.

I understand that the right school is important to get me anywhere in Thailand, that's why my only options have been Chula and Mahidol. Mahidol however, doesn't offer any master degrees in areas that are interesting for me. I have a foreign surname, not really sure if it is a good or a bad thing... :)

If you are correct about the salary 100k baht/month is fantastic news! I would have easily accepted 50k baht/month as an entry level engineer. thumbsup.gif

Sorry but I don't understand GOT (I guess it's not Game of Thrones ;) ), but it has probably something to do with the O&G fields in Southeast Asia? Would it be a stupid decision to get your first years as a petroleum engineer in Thailand and later on advanced to the developing fields as Africa etc that you recommend? Because, like you just mentioned, the tricky part is to get into the business at first...

GOT = Gulf of Thailand

Its not stupid what your suggesting, but at the same time, honestly you have the opportunity to get your full education in Europe and start working via European companies, else where in world over Thailand, the thing you need to do is get taken on by one of the major operator's, and then a lot of doors will open up for you on the international front

I was only accepted due to the experience I have and I will be still working, it will take 3.5yrs to complete. But it will give me something to do and maybe open further doors in the future.

As SP says, not many expats in the game in Thailand now full time, most rotate in and out. You will be very lucking for any expat engineering role here on permanent basis, may be options for contract / consulting ( I prefer not to do that though ).

As for Tattoos, I have the same, nothing that a long sleeve shirt can not hide ;)

Good luck

• 5 months later...

Hello again lads!

With everything that has changed in the O&G industry lately... would you recommend someone to study a M.Sc. in Petroleum Engineering next year?

And everything will change again, don't panic, this is a "correction" same as 2008, things will be back to normal in the short to medium term

I would follow on with earlier recommendations on getting a degree outside Thailand. If the only criteria is having 'fun' in Bangkok and furthering your Thai language skills then that will work for about 5 years but try and look beyond that.

The Robert Gordons University distance learning option is good suggestion. They used to be known as RGIT and have a long and respected pedigree in educating those with an interest in the earth sciences. Another one that saw a regular induction into oil and gas was Napier University in Edinburgh. Getting an internship in Europe while studying is also a good idea.

I met a Colombian graduate who had done several years filling all the key technical positions offshore with a major marine seismic contractor. With a total of about 8 years of field experience, she quit so she could do her Masters at St. Andrews University in Scotland. Through some industry connections, I enabled an internship for her with Statoil in Norway. Statoil hired her upon graduation and now in her early 30's, she is well upstairs in Statoil's global exploration and development department.

NanLaew: Thank you very much for your informative reply.

Apart from learning the language, the reason why I want to study in Bangkok is because I want to try to live there for at least 3-5 years from now. And a good way are usually to study in that specific country.

It seems like everyone here thinks that I should consider taking my Master's Degree in Europe and perhaps it is the only wise thing to do. But, distance learning is not for me. It's very hard for me to keep up my motivation if I don't have any classes to attend to, and in Bangkok it would be even harder... :) So I'll guess a year in UK would only do me good.

The problem with the offshore business is the first job. I am pretty happy if I would be able to get my 8 years of field experience. Everything beyond that is just bonus.

NanLaew: Thank you very much for your informative reply.

Apart from learning the language, the reason why I want to study in Bangkok is because I want to try to live there for at least 3-5 years from now. And a good way are usually to study in that specific country.

It seems like everyone here thinks that I should consider taking my Master's Degree in Europe and perhaps it is the only wise thing to do. But, distance learning is not for me. It's very hard for me to keep up my motivation if I don't have any classes to attend to, and in Bangkok it would be even harder... smile.png So I'll guess a year in UK would only do me good.

The problem with the offshore business is the first job. I am pretty happy if I would be able to get my 8 years of field experience. Everything beyond that is just bonus.

You mentioned you already did an internship with an international O&G company? Is there something that can be built on there or did you burn the bridges?

NanLaew: That's correct. Sadly, it was a 100% office job as a design/electrical engineer. It was a very small chance of actually working offshore I'm afraid. That is why I moved on. Didn't burn any bridges though.

liddelljohn: What about Singapore? I've heard good things about their universities. At least NUS and Nanyang.

Offtopic: I talked to a friend, who knows his shit, regarding this matter and he recommended me to pursue a Master's Degree in Mechatronics instead.

• 5 months later...

I've never met anyone internationally that has a graduate degree from Chula. I agree, BKK would be fun city to study in, but you're really limiting your future to 100K bt / month (starting). Get a reputable degree and come back to the LoS as an expat on 6-10 times that.

1) Unless you want to be in research, just go to work with your undergrad degree. Then, in a couple years, your employer may actually pay for you to take your graduate degree.

2) If you cannot get a job in today's current downturn, look at graduate degrees outside of Thailand - UNSW (Australia) and Herriot-Watt (UK) both have distance programmes (as does Robert Gordon previously mentioned in this thread). Or look at a 2 year programme through the US (MontanaTech, A&M, or University of Colorado),or Trondheim (Norway).

I also looked at a fun school when I was first considering graduate studies. I mean Adelaide (Australia) has it's own winery! In the long run, happy I went elsewhere because the international job prospects were better.

Best of luck with the job hunt / grad school search.

I stand corrected then: OP could work in Bangkok, Lagos, or Luanda. (I hope they're making more than 100K Bt / month if living in Luanda!)

For curiosity sake, are the 6 folks you know all West African nationals?

I stand corrected then: OP could work in Bangkok, Lagos, or Luanda. (I hope they're making more than 100K Bt / month if living in Luanda!)

no they are Thai, and on Expat packages, so a lot more than THB 100k/m biggrin.png

no they are Thai, and on Expat packages, so a lot more than THB 100k/m biggrin.png

Won't be western expat packages though