Thai police upset by US human trafficking report

webfact

I find there is a general disdain for Thailand by many .. I am guessing Westerners ...that have such a low opinion of Thailand.

That Thailand should object to the rating given by the US government on Human Trafficking...I can guess that most people don't want their country criticized by any foreigner..so that's a natural reaction not just a Thai perspective.

Since over 22 years coming to Thailand & now living here I have never seen or experienced this problem but if others are more a expert on the subject I'd be more interesting in listening.

Since it was the US making the claim it's as if there is no human trafficking done in the US? or in their farming industry done by Latinos?

Just because the US makes standards..and they can because they are the ones linked to any loans etc given by the World Bank & IMF that is affected by the Tier system they can say what they want.

My initial reaction would be the US has destroyed 7 countries in the last 10 years or so & now leading the charge towards World War & Nuclear attacks against Russia & China.

Most of the other Western Countries... including my own are basically Puppets and to me have no right to say anything on any moral high ground.

Is Thailand perfect?.. of course not but where is?..Your home country?

There is no such disdain concerning Thailand, in general, from Westerners as you suggest, and especially those of us who have lived here for a long time.

There is, however, disdain for the continued corruption, lack of effort to overcome it, and continued selective blindness to many atrocities. That is a very different agenda.

Thailand purports to being a member of the UN, and it also receives huge benefits from the World Bank, which you ascertain. In doing so, Thailand itself must recognise international standards and make every effort to adhere to such. The US does not make the standards... the international community does, whereby standards of life considered to include freedom, freedom of speeh and action, within the limits of acceptable laws, are adhered to.

It is those standards that Thailand agreed to when signing agreements with exactly the likes of the UN and the World Bank, and thus should adhere to, yet chooses not to ad hoc.

Each individual home country is irrelevant, when taking into account 192 member countries of the UN which all counter measures which impede rules agreed upon.

As a result, Thailand is more than far from perfect in its agreements to adhere, and yet we do not carry disdain for Thailnd, but its lack of efficiency in attempts to counter what is mentioned in line 2.

AMEN ! clap2.gif

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find there is a general disdain for Thailand by many .. I am guessing Westerners ...that have such a low opinion of Thailand.

That Thailand should object to the rating given by the US government on Human Trafficking...I can guess that most people don't want their country criticized by any foreigner..so that's a natural reaction not just a Thai perspective.

Since over 22 years coming to Thailand & now living here I have never seen or experienced this problem but if others are more a expert on the subject I'd be more interesting in listening.

Since it was the US making the claim it's as if there is no human trafficking done in the US? or in their farming industry done by Latinos?

Just because the US makes standards..and they can because they are the ones linked to any loans etc given by the World Bank & IMF that is affected by the Tier system they can say what they want.

My initial reaction would be the US has destroyed 7 countries in the last 10 years or so & now leading the charge towards World War & Nuclear attacks against Russia & China.

Most of the other Western Countries... including my own are basically Puppets and to me have no right to say anything on any moral high ground.

" I can guess that most people don't want their country criticized by any foreigner..so that's a natural reaction not just a Thai perspective."

=> Not without any REASON !

We are talking about problems in THAILAND and not in US or somewhere else....

If the foreign country wouldnt bring this subject on the table, this shameless SHIT would continue for many years like it is going on for decades now.... SHAME on the RTP to behave like children ! Of course a matter of losing face as the world can see what is going on in Thailand for so many years, but always turned a blind eye to by corrupt authorities.... coffee1.gif

Bravo Gen Prayuth ! keep on pushing !

"Thai police have also worked hard in combating against counterfeiting and pirated consumer goods"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just draw the line at the people trafficking---leave my Rolex & the Mrs's Chanel handbags out of this...................coffee1.gif

• Like 1

They rightly should be upset. and equally rightly, ASHAMED!!! Unfortunately, the improvement in performance which has most surprisingly and unexpectedly occurred in the last month does not count.

Ultimately it will if it continues.

You are of course, correct. I meant the new improvement does not count "yet" in the current rating which was from pre-coup performance. Hopefully the general will get this issue up to speed permanently too, because it is a national disgrace. Everybody knows. Many profit from it. Hardly anyone really cares.

• Like 2

Lovely to hear that they have been working hard to combat pirated goods. I will give them my phone number so that they can call me so that I can tell them where I buy my pirated DVDs for over a year Now. It takes a computer expert to tell that they are pirated. So I understand that the police didn't spot them for years.

" I can guess that most people don't want their country criticized by any foreigner..so that's a natural reaction not just a Thai perspective."

=> Not without any REASON !

We are talking about problems in THAILAND and not in US or somewhere else....

If the foreign country wouldnt bring this subject on the table, this shameless SHIT would continue for many years like it is going on for decades now.... SHAME on the RTP to behave like children ! Of course a matter of losing face as the world can see what is going on in Thailand for so many years, but always turned a blind eye to by corrupt authorities.... coffee1.gif

Bravo Gen Prayuth ! keep on pushing !

In many foreign countries the citizens/media have the right to criticize their own. This is most definitely not the case in Thailand. Investigative journalism is hamstrung by defamation laws. Perhaps, without such laws, issues such as this would be exposed, leading to public and media pressure on politicians to curtail these activities. Herein lies the root of the problem.

As an industry, prawn farming is detrimental to the fishing industry. The destruction of the mangrove environment that is the spawning ground for many fish species is in itself a sufficient reason to NEVER buy farmed prawns.

Edited by chrisrazz

It's the video of truth again, watch all the Americans go running from the thread and reappear on the next thread open on the topic, with their self righteous sanctimonious pontification.

And how much did the first hooker you slept with, when you arrived here, cost?

Narrated and filmed by the Ramos family, is what you displayed. Mexican by birth, or coincidental?

If they stayed in Mexico and gave to their own country, would they be complaining?

No. They ventured to what they knew was hard graft, but better pay.

That was not forced labour, but choice. Tremendously large difference!

And no, I am not American, but keep things in perspective I LIKE THAI. Bet you do!

Could exactly the same argument not be used with the Rohingya etc, if they stayed in their own countries, then they would not have a problem. This argument is used to justify exploitation of children and adults, the laws in the USA permit the use of child labour for unregulated lengths of time. Adults have more rights in the US agricultural system than children. The children in the clip are US citizens and not illegal immigrants.

Neither what is happening in the Thailand scenario or the US scenario is correct, but pointing fingers for the benefit of media popularity and the feeling of "We're better than them" achieves nothing.

If people are truly concerned about the situations in both scenarios and also in most of the world where a segment of society is easily victimised, then the answer is for each individual to stop buying cheap food products and to have full traceability on where their products come from. But this will not happen, the biggest condemners on this issue will continue to buy food and goods where it is cheapest and ignore where it came from and the circumstances around how it was produced.

I can't remember how much she cost, it was a long time ago. How about you ?

If you didn't come here for hookers, then why did you come. What failures or flaws did you have in life that you weren't able to make a successful and happy life for yourself in your 1st world country.

It's the video of truth again, watch all the Americans go running from the thread and reappear on the next thread open on the topic, with their self righteous sanctimonious pontification.

You are right !!! Send them all back to Mexico in order to avoid exploitation by

evil Americans......

They are Americans, or do only White Anglo Saxons count as "Real" Americans in your mindset.

So, by deflecting the issue of Human Trafficking into another subject altogether the issue is now resolved in your mind?

You have been traveling for 22 years in Thailand and never seen any evidence of this? I suppose you don't read the news either?

Whether the US has human trafficking or not is not the issue at hand. You can certainly start a discussion on the matter if you like - there is plenty of references you can use to support your claim, but the discussion here is about the response of the RTP to the US report regarding Thailand's role in this global problem.

Two wrongs do not make a right.

There are plenty of problems with US policies abroad, however by attacking them and deflecting the problem away from the issue is a slap in the face of the tens thousands of victims worldwide, many of whom pray every day for some semblance of justice to come their way. And there there are the ones that don't even know they have any rights or legal recourse.

Human trafficking goes well beyond the scope of the US report as well. While people without scruples or moral values abound worldwide, we cannot put a blind eye to ethnic, cultural and religious issues that make this problem even more difficult to tackle in various parts of the world. While Thailand does not have militant groups kidnapping girls just because they defy their belief that women should not go to school, there is a social attitude towards indifference. The value placed on people with different socioeconomic backgrounds is at the core of the country's problems today, and when the first offenders are often the parents of children sold to these traffickers it is very little chance for things to get a lot better, regardless of the amount of lip service given by authorities. The lack of any reporting of impropriety makes monitoring and enforcement that much more difficult, and without grass root organizations pushing for these social changes I don't see how the problem is going to go away anytime soon.

Edited by NeutralVoice
  • Like 2

You are right !!! Send them all back to Mexico in order to avoid exploitation by

evil Americans......

They are Americans, or do only White Anglo Saxons count as "Real" Americans in your mindset.

" Real " Americans have a blue passport in a drawer at home, and come in many colors. Do you think these kids have a passport ? Get out much ?

But this is comparing apples and oranges.

These children are brought by their families from Mexico, and work to produce money for

their families. The concept of trafficking is about children that are bought and basically enslaved

in Thailand. To compare the horror of children that are trafficked, to Hispanic children in

America that are picking cucumbers with their parents working nearby, is an insult to

children that are sold here and actually enslaved....

• Like 1

There is no such disdain concerning Thailand, in general, from Westerners as you suggest, and especially those of us who have lived here for a long time.

There is, however, disdain for the continued corruption, lack of effort to overcome it, and continued selective blindness to many atrocities. That is a very different agenda.

Thailand purports to being a member of the UN, and it also receives huge benefits from the World Bank, which you ascertain. In doing so, Thailand itself must recognise international standards and make every effort to adhere to such. The US does not make the standards... the international community does, whereby standards of life considered to include freedom, freedom of speeh and action, within the limits of acceptable laws, are adhered to.

It is those standards that Thailand agreed to when signing agreements with exactly the likes of the UN and the World Bank, and thus should adhere to, yet chooses not to ad hoc.

Each individual home country is irrelevant, when taking into account 192 member countries of the UN which all counter measures which impede rules agreed upon.

As a result, Thailand is more than far from perfect in its agreements to adhere, and yet we do not carry disdain for Thailnd, but its lack of efficiency in attempts to counter what is mentioned in line 2.

AMEN ! clap2.gif

But yet the USA refuses to ratify The Geneva Convention on Human Rights. Why is that ?

evil Americans......

" Real " Americans have a blue passport in a drawer at home, and come in many colors. Do you think these kids have a passport ? Get out much ?

These children are brought by their families from Mexico, and work to produce money for

their families. The concept of trafficking is about children that are bought and basically enslaved

in Thailand. To compare the horror of children that are trafficked, to Hispanic children in

America that are picking cucumbers with their parents working nearby, is an insult to

Only 30% of Americans have a passport. If you actually watched the video, rather than ignore it's content, because it wouldn't suit your mindset, you would learn that these children and their parents are actual American Citizens born in the US, I could also post another video link about how the US police and judicial system ignore Human trafficking in it's most hideous forms, but you wouldn't watch that either.

Eyes wide open, mind snapped shut.

Only 30% of Americans have a passport. If you actually watched the video, rather than ignore it's content, because it wouldn't suit your mindset, you would learn that these children and their parents are actual American Citizens born in the US, I could also post another video link about how the US police and judicial system ignore Human trafficking in it's most hideous forms, but you wouldn't watch that either.

Are you on crack ? I just watched the video, and there is NOTHING to indicate these children

are Americans citizens, and I seriously doubt they are. I just wasted 5 :41 minutes of my life.

And for the last time, these children in the video are NOT TRAFFICKED. Do you understand English ?? This is child labor with the parents as willing participants in the work situation. So the parents are doing the actual exploiting. And I agree, end it tomorrow. But to compare that to a Burmese child who is sold for 50$ and forced to sell flowers in tourist areas in Thailand is pathetic.

Edited by EyesWideOpen

And where are you from sweetie? How did those big, bad Americans hurt you?

Maybe you're just too kinky for them. Have you tried the Iranians?

Maybe it is time for Thai Visa Members to rate the USA

See how the USA likes to be rated

Only if the USA wishes to export its goods to us. If Thailand wants to export its goods to the USA then it has to meet certain criteria in the production/harvesting of those goods. They could of course just sell them elsewhere.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

evil Americans......

The USA has big immigration problems, which are the focus of many different groups that are pro or against US immigration policies. What does this have to do with human trafficking? The only parallel you can draw to this and human trafficking is how the wide open borders in the south and the organized elements behind the smuggling of immigrants into the USA are often tapped into by human traffickers bringing children and teenagers into the US for delivery to their customers.

What is next, state that these customers represent the moral fabric of the country? Clearly you are a blatant anti-american, which is much different than being against US domestic o international policies. This is nothing but a ridiculous attempt at deflecting the problem of human trafficking in Thailand and just blaming big brother for everything there is. The sovereign status of Thailand is not in danger when another nation disproves of its domestic problems or as a partner committed to the suppression of international crime, whether by legally bound treaties or by stated cooperation. It should be interpreted as a simple reminder of its responsibility to do more to help in curtailing a global problem.

Unlike the drug trade in which most participants, from the farmers and the end-users are often willing participants and contributors to the "problem", there is not a single victim of human trafficking that has gone into it willingly and knowingly. As I said earlier, the scope of this problem is much bigger than the focus of the United States on this issue. Millions of women are born into societies in which their human rights are non-existent. their sub-human status supported by domestic laws that are heavily influenced if not the outright fabrication of religious and cultural zealots obsessed in preserving a medieval form of life that affords them power and privileges otherwise impossible to attain.

• Like 1

Are you on crack ? I just watched the video, and there is NOTHING to indicate these children

are Americans citizens, and I seriously doubt they are. I just wasted 5 :41 minutes of my life.

And for the last time, these children in the video are NOT TRAFFICKED. Do you understand English ?? This is child labor with the parents as willing participants in the work situation. So the parents are doing the actual exploiting. And I agree, end it tomorrow. But to compare that to a Burmese child who is sold for 50$ and forced to sell flowers in tourist areas in Thailand is pathetic.

3.02 : These kids are from Texas where school started three days ago

Trying to blame the parents for laws allowing this kind of practice is reprehensible.

If you want to split hairs, then below is a video which is Human trafficking specific.

If you try to blame the Mexicans for this, then you should also blame the Rohingya rather than the Thais, both of which are also reprehensible viewpoints.

Open you mind and stop defending the US just because you are American

And where are you from sweetie? How did those big, bad Americans hurt you?

Maybe you're just too kinky for them. Have you tried the Iranians?

I'm from Ireland. I have never been hurt by Americans or America. I don't understand why some Americans always feel the need to defend the system that controls the USA, no matter what it does. It's a misguided loyalty that is ingrained into them through lifelong conditioning.

I have many friends who are American and a nice bunch of people they are. My comments are aimed at America, not at Americans. Try to see the difference sweetie

Are you as fixated about your own country?

I wouldn't use the word fixated, but I would be very interested in locating the TIP report to find out what this is about. If true it is shocking and I would condemn it unreservedly without question.

Where is the report, does anyone know where I can download the actual report. ?

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/US-state-department-names-Ireland-as-the-worlds-sex-trafficking-center.html

US state department names Ireland as the world’s sex trafficking center

A new US State Department report has named Ireland the top destination and transit country for sex trafficking.

The Trafficking in Persons Report 2014, which was published on Friday, highlighted serious gaps in Ireland’s anti-trafficking laws, the Irish Mirror reports.

“Foreign trafficking victims identified in Ireland are from Nigeria, Cameroon, the Philippines, Poland, Brazil, Pakistan, South Africa, Lithuania, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Zimbabwe, Kuwait, and other countries in Asia, and Eastern Europe,” said the report.

OK found the report, How can Ireland and USA remain as Tier 1

Why are they not being downgraded

USA segment

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/226849.pdf

Challenges remained: NGOs noted the critical
need for an increase in the overall funding for comprehensive
services; and some trafficking victims, including those under
the age of 18 years were reportedly detained or prosecuted for
criminal activity related to their being trafficked, notwithstanding
the federal policy that victims should not be inappropriately
penalized solely for unlawful acts committed as a direct result
of being trafficked
Ireland segment
The government, however, decreased its funding for NGOs
providing service to victims, and continued to prosecute a high
number of non-trafficking crimes, including child molestation
cases, as trafficking cases. Potential victims of forced labor in
cannabis production were prosecuted and imprisoned for
crimes that may have resulted from the victims being trafficked.

Saudi Arabia has been Tier 3 since at least 2007, yet there is nothing I can find in the media about this country and sanctions that have been placed against it. Why have sanctions not been placed ? maybe they have, but I just can't find them. Anyone have any info on this ?

OK found the report, How can Ireland and USA remain as Tier 1

Why are they not being downgraded

USA segment

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/226849.pdf

Challenges remained: NGOs noted the critical
need for an increase in the overall funding for comprehensive
services; and some trafficking victims, including those under
of being trafficked
Ireland segment
The government, however, decreased its funding for NGOs
providing service to victims, and continued to prosecute a high
number of non-trafficking crimes, including child molestation
cases, as trafficking cases. Potential victims of forced labor in
cannabis production were prosecuted and imprisoned for
crimes that may have resulted from the victims being trafficked.

Don't know the report methodology.

Maybe a need to demonstrate steps for improvement ...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/06/24/fbi-says-168-children-rescued-in-crackdown-on-sex-trafficking/

Hate to defended the Americans. But if someone went into a police station and made a report about human trafficking there would be so many police officers and social welfare at that location. But here the Thai police would just look away or just look for a payout. Sorry. But Thailand doesn't do anything except talk so much.

When you play on the global stage, Thainess is not recognized!

One hopes that at some time in the near future, Thailand's business, economic, financial, law enforcement and social elites wake up to this. If Thailand want to be a global player, it has to maintain global standards. Today's paper had an article concerning Indonesia about to overtake Thailand in the auto industry; Thailand is already seeing reduced numbers of eco tourists because of poor standards and increased pollution. Foreign manufacturers moving out of Thailand to other ASEAN countries?

Human trafficking has a long history in Thailand; but this is the 21st C CE (26th C BE) - we lived in a globalised world, and if you do not globalise your critical business, economic, financial and legal cultures, you become irrelevant and shunned.

• Like 1

Saudi Arabia has been Tier 3 since at least 2007, yet there is nothing I can find in the media about this country and sanctions that have been placed against it. Why have sanctions not been placed ? maybe they have, but I just can't find them. Anyone have any info on this ?

Good question.

Bottom line is that with wealthy countries such as Saudi Arabia, tier 3 sanctions are meaningless. Could be wrong, but do not believe any sanctions have been imposed on Saudi Arabia by the US or EU. Why not? Strategic relations / not in the 'national interest'. Maybe some limitations imposed by export controls.

Edited by simple1

Thai police upset by US human trafficking report

By Digital Content

14035174294782.jpg

BANGKOK, June 23 -- Thailand's police are prepared to tackle human trafficking issues, especially in the fisheries industry and regarding illegal migrants, after the United States downgraded Thailand to the lowest ranking in its latest Trafficking in Persons (TIP) Report.

Acting National Police Chief Pol Gen Watcharapol Prasarnrajkit expressed disappointment on Monday after the US State Department downgraded Thailand to a Tier 3 rating in the 2014 Trafficking in Persons (TIP) Report released last Friday.

He said the Thai police will review the Trafficking in Persons Report 2014 thoroughly and renew the effort to fight human trafficking problems, especially in the fisheries industry and among those involved in the illegal immigration of Rohingya Muslims and Xinjiang Uygur, in line with international human rights standards.

Gen Watcharapol added that the Thai police have also worked hard in combating against counterfeiting and pirated consumer goods to avoid being targeted by international governments which could affect the country’s overall economy. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2014-06-23

w$/%er caught with pants down saving face excercise

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hate to defended the Americans. But if someone went into a police station and made a report about human trafficking there would be so many police officers and social welfare at that location. But here the Thai police would just look away or just look for a payout. Sorry. But Thailand doesn't do anything except talk so much.

America prosecutes the victims of trafficking including children, according to the TIP report

http://www.state.gov...tion/226849.pdf

some trafficking victims, including those under
of being trafficked