US downgrade only a short-term impact: FTI

webfact

Downgrade only a short-term impact

6-24-2014-11-27-48-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The US downgrade of Thailand to the lowest level or Tier 3 in the "Trafficking in Persons" (TIP) report will have only a short-term impact as the country is now striving to clarify the world communities on the issue, according to the Federation of Thai Industries (FTI).

FTI chairman Suphan Mongkholsuthee said although some countries might use the recent downgrade as an excuse to boycott goods from Thailand, the impact will be minimal.

He expressed confidence that Thailand’s trading partners will continue to order products from the country as usual, and both the private and public sectors are working towards clarifying the issue and resolving human trafficking problem.

FTI vice chairman for labour affairs
Suchart Chantaranakarach said the downgrade will affect only those selling products under the “Made in Thailand” label.

He said information on illegal labour spread on social media could mislead consumers and create a negative image, adding clarification of Tier 3 is urgently needed for companies and customers.

He said these firms and the Labour Ministry will cooperate to clarify the matter over the next two weeks.

Mongkol Sukcharoenkana, vice-president of the National Fisheries Association, said 20% of all fishing boats operating in Thailand were not members of the association, and its research found only 1% had violated the law.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/downgrade-short-term-impact/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-06-24

• Like 1

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Suchart Chantaranakarach said the downgrade will affect only those selling products under the “Made in Thailand” label."

It just continues in a downward spiral, does it not?

Unbelievable statement!

What's next on the unscrupulous agenda? A change of brands and labels, with no mention of source?bah.gifsick.gif.pagespeed.ce.tVTSNn-2vr.png

Thainess is losing its Thainess, in all matter of ways. Or, maybe, it has totally lost it, and Thainess does not exist anymore unless the word corruption is explicitly involved.

• Like 2

I really do wonder, with all these reports on how Thailand will show the world the reality of the slave ships, become a digital hub et all HUBS. Just who are they trying to convince. The outside world is not listening, and I wonder if Thai people are listening!

Self serving propaganda is all it is.

"Suchart Chantaranakarach said the downgrade will affect only those selling products under the “Made in Thailand” label."

Unbelievable statement!

What's next on the unscrupulous agenda? A change of brands and labels, with no mention of source?bah.gifsick.gif.pagespeed.ce.tVTSNn-2vr.png

Thainess is losing its Thainess, in all matter of ways. Or, maybe, it has totally lost it, and Thainess does not exist anymore unless the word corruption is explicitly involved.

Made in Thailand? cheesy.gif

Foreigners secretly are admirers of Thai products, but Thais don't see their worth.
Scared of being looked down upon, liking Thai products isn't fashionable.
The shirts, trousers, and jeans, are sent abroad on planes, and then imported back.
If it's "Made in Thailand", who's going to give the guarantee for them?
"Made in Thailand", and when put up in the shops, they put the "Made in Japan" labels upon them.
It wasn't the foreigners who cheated us but it was Thais who cheat themselves

When the EU comes into full swing to punch them where they only understand: the pocket book, they will find yet another lame avenues to save face.

It is surprising that in TV there are members in awe of the people in this country. As if...

BTW: sliced bread was already invented.

Thais are not evil as a whole. But they have a slew of deplorable forms of behaviour.

They attach to Thainess all their flaws. They fight tooth and nail to defend their customs as if the extant practice of their traditions validates them as good.

The Sudanese also have a similar behaviour: slavery is OK. Want to buy a young girl and keep her as your chattel for life? Go to Sudan !

Thais are smug and self-absorbed and care nothing whether their behaviour is right or wrong. It's Thainess. That is good enough for them! It should be good enough for the rest of the world.

Edited by pisico

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So is the suggestion they remove the 'Made in Thauland' label to avoid the issue. Why is it Thais never deal with the core problems but will spend an inordinate amount of effort in hiding, diverting attention and misleading the truth. It would be so much cheaper to set up a task force of say 500 soldiers to root out the perpetrators and get a grip of the situation. Send them down with a team of reporters with complete freedom of reporting what was found. Tier two would be just around the corner. All this bull from the people involved is getting tedious.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Unfortunately this practice has been going on, the B/S I mean, for hundreds of years , unfortunately it will continue for another hundred.

Unbelievable statement!

Made in Thailand? cheesy.gif

Foreigners secretly are admirers of Thai products, but Thais don't see their worth.
Scared of being looked down upon, liking Thai products isn't fashionable.
The shirts, trousers, and jeans, are sent abroad on planes, and then imported back.
If it's "Made in Thailand", who's going to give the guarantee for them?
"Made in Thailand", and when put up in the shops, they put the "Made in Japan" labels upon them.
It wasn't the foreigners who cheated us but it was Thais who cheat themselves

Interesting that nowadays most products, even in the USA, UK, Canada, Australia and most of Europe (plus major countries I missed out), aresold by major brands such as M&S, Tesco, Walmart, Ikea (to name but a few examples) all comprise labels as identified: 'Made in China'. 'Made in Japan' carries little weight nowadays, unless it is a branded car.

I'd say most foreigners do not see 'Made in Thailand' as carrying much weight nowadays. So, yes, Thailand has cheated itself. However, not Thailand itself, but the corrupt families who have continued the tradition of family member promotion, in order to maintain control. Thailand, and its peoples, are pretty much genuinely innocent because their education has been controlled into limitation that does not permit understanding of the corrupt ways of the so called 'echelons' at the top, or even at a provincial level. Fear instilled is a major component.

Most Thais don't cheat themselves, but are cheated by the ever existing systems that have been placated by those in power, and their descendants.

I hope Prayaruth can see through this, and make entire adjustments that invert all past involvement. He seems to be alert, yet he has Thainess, and maybe one day he can be bought as much as any other Thai... for peanuts.

Edited by UbonRatch
  • Like 1

They are working to clarify the issue, but not to solve the issue.

Brilliant.

Exactly. Listen to us (Thai govt)...the U.S. report is wrong. We are holding monthly committee meetings to reduce human trafficking. Yes, yes, we are indeed in denial.

When I tried to talk to my wife about people trafficing and slavery, she dismissed it as being propaganda against the junta and the international community know nothing about Thailand. I guess it is ingrained in them, if not from birth, certainly from the time they are old enough to stand in front of the flag and sing the national anthem every morning at school. A lost cause I fear.

• Like 1

Well the US is not going to edit the TIP report now it is out. The best these clowns can hope for is that next year they have done something to get out of tier 3 and back to tier 2. They were on tier 2 watch for 4 years and did not get the hint.

I am not confident that they will do anything significant to change their ways before next April when the data collection closes for the next year's TIP report.

While the US breaks and bends every conceivable moral code there is, it arrogantly putting the squeeze on Thailand....... As an American, I resent very much the antics of the US government. Of course, I don't condone the shady things that ocurr in Thailand, but the US would be well advised to clean up its own act.

• Like 2

Far more concern about the "impact" and "economics" of the downgrade than actually being concerned about the people that are being exploited...amazing. I've not seen one concrete example of what Thailand will do to combat the problem in all the articles I've read on this issue.

All I've seen is a few rose selling children have been rescued...primarily because of a documentary being done about this one lone issue.

• Like 1

Simply unbelievable but predictable. They have been downgraded due to their own failure to even try to comply and they dismiss this with a shrug and the self righteous conviction that they will be able to talk their way out of this.

If it did not get accepted at Tier 2 why should they think they can do better this time.

They are where they truly belong owing to the complete failure to demonstrate any form off compliance

• Like 1