Should Gerrard retire as England captain, yes or no?

rijit

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Think he's lost Carms.......should be in the World Cup forum with the rest of his buddiesbiggrin.png

Yes, and theres lots of his pals on there over the last ten days!

Havent been in there mate...other than to update the FL once a week.coffee1.gif

^ Think he's lost Carms.......should be in the World Cup forum with the rest of his buddiesbiggrin.png

Yes, and theres lots of his pals on there over the last ten days!

Havent been in there mate...other than to update the FL once a week.coffee1.gif

I presume u mean the sticky on the top of the football page, just had a look what a total waste of space, nothing there...

• Like 1

Gerrard should definitely retire. hodgson should be sacked and his passport should be shredded in an Industrial Shredder and he should be sent to Outer Mongolia with that joker greg dyke. Come to think of it, why not round up all the useless idiots at the F.A , charter a plane and fly them all to Outer Mongolia. greg dyke stated that the F.A goal was to win the 2022 world cup, by the display at this world cup I think he wants to worry about if we can qualify. While we have all those idiots at the F.A running the show we wont improve. Its a great shame.

The FA will live to regret not sacking Hodgson. I don't think anyone would live to regret keeping Gerrard as captain, if he finds the resolve to want to carry on.

Its time for Gerrard to retire and hand the captains arm band onto the next captain who can move the team forward. I bet he announces his retirement from International Football in the next few weeks.

Edited by CFC

slight contradiction there carms one moment your saying hes playing the same role succesfully for liverpool then next your blaming roy for unsucceafully playing him in the same role !!! nah, the coach is always an easy blame but yeah he should have spotted the weakness , but.he.wernt alone.in that and nope he aint the brightest/quickest. But bottomline the game s wernt lost when we were out numbered or outmuscled they were both lost, barring gerrards f up, in straight forward stuations where a defensive minded midfeilder or leader would/ should have had sorted, and unfortunatly Gerrard just aint that.

anyway we stray, gerrard as capt ? you in or should he go?

What short memories some have!

The number of times over the years I have seen Gerrard make a saving tackle or be perfectly positioned to break up opponents play I could hardly count.

The fact is he is now too old to play 90 mins at breakneck speed and Woy failed to spot and deal with that.

Not the players fault...not one iota....will be surprised if Gerrard ever pulls on an England shirt again while Scotland's current golden boy is leading the charge....

slight contradiction there carms one moment your saying hes playing the same role succesfully for liverpool then next your blaming roy for unsucceafully playing him in the same role !!! nah, the coach is always an easy blame but yeah he should have spotted the weakness , but.he.wernt alone.in that and nope he aint the brightest/quickest. But bottomline the game s wernt lost when we were out numbered or outmuscled they were both lost, barring gerrards f up, in straight forward stuations where a defensive minded midfeilder or leader would/ should have had sorted, and unfortunatly Gerrard just aint that.

The number of times over the years I have seen Gerrard make a saving tackle or be perfectly positioned to break up opponents play I could hardly count.

The fact is he is now too old to play 90 mins at breakneck speed and Woy failed to spot and deal with that.

Not the players fault...not one iota....will be surprised if Gerrard ever pulls on an England shirt again while Scotland's current golden boy is leading the charge....

sori abso wrong, both liverpool and england have spotted the age thing and adapted his position accordingly Just england played him in a slightly different position, a deeper/defensive lying mid supposedly controlling and organizing the game from deep and sori but he was embarrassingly crap at it . I've been a long standing Gerrard fan and having to say the england skipper skills arnt up scratch, dont exactly please me, but there u go..

Its time for Gerrard to retire and hand the captains arm band onto the next captain who can move the team forward. I bet he announces his retirement from International Football in the next few weeks.

Who would you suggest that could do this?

Who would you suggest that could do this?

Yes quite. I've heard lots of people calling on Gerrard to be replaced but no ones suggesting a successor.

And guess what....there isn't one.

Were better off sticking with him for another season and hoping that someone will start to look the part and the manager learns some tactics and how to set a team up. If he does its obviously not going to look good for the very average int'l that is Wayne Rooney but thats life.

At the end of the day, in the aftermath of our worst world cup in 56 years it surely time to blood all the youngsters but its important imo to keep the experienced Gerrard to mould a new captain to complete a sensible handover.

As far as seeing any future success, it won't happen under a coach that has so little tactical acumen anyway. Yet the hapless FA have somehow come to the conclusion that he did a good job, that theres no one better for the job and seem confident he'll take the team forward.

So in answer to this thread, its plain and simple to me Gerrard should stay as captain and the real question is why has Hodgson not resigned/been dismissed? Thats plain depressing

• Like 2

Yes. StevieG needs to be replaced as soon as there is decent successor.

Frank Lampard needs to go straightaway.

Neither are doing a Pirlo.

End of.

Who takes over from StevieG?

Rooney? Retrograde step for me. Need new breed captain.

Maybe Cahill?

Currently in the shadow of JT. Needs to come out strong as JT hands over at club level.

He should tell England to do one and concentrate on getting a few more years out of Liverpool. Like Scholes did. England are crap, always will be so he should stop wasting his time there only to get slated after a big match.

wellsaid

• Like 2

Yes. StevieG needs to be replaced as soon as there is decent successor.

Frank Lampard needs to go straightaway.

Neither are doing a Pirlo.

End of.

Who takes over from StevieG?

Rooney? Retrograde step for me. Need new breed captain.

Maybe Cahill?

Currently in the shadow of JT. Needs to come out strong as JT hands over at club level.

IMO big season for wilshire,,23 in jan, in footie terms could be argued as no longer 'young', times overdue for boy 2 to step up and be a man. . and somehow got to stop getting so many injuries.

Edited by rijit

He should tell England to do one and concentrate on getting a few more years out of Liverpool. Like Scholes did. England are crap, always will be so he should stop wasting his time there only to get slated after a big match.

Unfortunately you have a point. Captaining the team over the next couple of years will be a thankless task with a manager that doesn't quite get it and, as just seen in this world cup, is seemingly incapable of getting the best out of some talented players. End result will be more average performances and slatings by the press.

however, he well past the age of doing a Scholes isn't he!! I also doubt two or three internationals next season are going to do too much damage to a model professional.

• Like 1

sori abso wrong, both liverpool and england have spotted the age thing and adapted his position accordingly Just england played him in a slightly different position, a deeper/defensive lying mid supposedly controlling and organizing the game from deep and sori but he was embarrassingly crap at it . I've been a long standing Gerrard fan and having to say the england skipper skills arnt up scratch, dont exactly please me, but there u go..

not trying to be offensive or anything, but do you understand the difference between 'two' and 'three'?

• Like 1

not trying to be offensive or anything, but do you understand the difference between 'two' and 'three'?

It makes me laugh this does Stevie....they tell us Gerrard is past it when he has had an excellent season at club level.

Three v two...acknowledged by most on here bar the Hodgson apologists it seems.

Let them move on without Gerrard and keep their manager.....save Moyes I say!

• Like 1

It makes me laugh this does Stevie....they tell us Gerrard is past it when he has had an excellent season at club level.

Three v two...acknowledged by most on here bar the Hodgson apologists it seems.

Let them move on without Gerrard and keep their manager.....save Moyes I say!

Beggars belief

i think the liverpol fans are all missing the point making excuses for gerrard surprise suepriae .the england capt is the top of the tree, the leader of our best, he should have the skill set to at least cope and his wasnt up to it, simply for our northern boys,, put him in front of tbeir box attacking defenders.free kics x's ect ect gerrard is or has been a class act . put him in front if our box defending sheilding orgonising filling thw gaps ect ect atm gerrards is average at best and the expirenced international managers spotted it and exposed him.

i think the liverpol fans are all missing the point making excuses for gerrard surprise suepriae .the england capt is the top of the tree, the leader of our best, he should have the skill set to at least cope and his wasnt up to it, simply for our northern boys,, put him in front of tbeir box attacking defenders.free kics x's ect ect gerrard is or has been a class act . put him in front if our box defending sheilding orgonising filling thw gaps ect ect atm gerrards is average at best and the expirenced international managers spotted it and exposed him.

No we think you are missing the facts about the player, which is quiet obvious to everyone but you how good a season he had at club level.

You are using Gerrard as a scapegoat for the collective failings of a football team that has been on the slide for 20 years. England are sh-ite and it's not down to one player.

Those "experienced international managers" didn't spot jack, 2 of the teams in our group were eliminated in the next round, and the 3rd scraped through on penalties against Greece.

Shows you how bad England really are

Edited by BangrakBob

I don't understand the ongoing "debate" about Gerrard. An excellent footballer who got caught out a few times manning a position on the pitch that he is no longer completely suited for. If he plays a bit more for the NT I wouldn't hold it against him and if he doesn't who would blame him. He obviously still makes a significant contribution at Liverpool and I'm sure Rodgers is glad to have him.

As for the captaincy, is it really a big deal if he gives it up or not ? Its not like Gerrard continuing to be the captain, or not, is going to have any impact one way or another on England's fortunes.

• Like 2

I don't understand the ongoing "debate" about Gerrard. An excellent footballer who got caught out a few times manning a position on the pitch that he is no longer completely suited for. If he plays a bit more for the NT I wouldn't hold it against him and if he doesn't who would blame him. He obviously still makes a significant contribution at Liverpool and I'm sure Rodgers is glad to have him.

As for the captaincy, is it really a big deal if he gives it up or not ? Its not like Gerrard continuing to be the captain, or not, is going to have any impact one way or another on England's fortunes.

yes they will still be bag o' sh-ite for many captains to come wink.png

Fact is, if you have a General who is no good, Captain hasn't got a chance.

Been proven in battle over centuries.

Same in business.

Same in football.

Will General Hodgson be replaced?

Not until we have lost a shed load of casualties.

Helluva price to pay.

But try telling the FA grey suits that.

facepalm.gif

• Like 1

put him in front of their box ie attacking defenders.free kics x's ect ect IE ATTACKING gerrard is or has been over the last 12 seasons a class act. Put him in front if our box defending shielding orgonising, filling the gaps, holding shape IE DEFENDING atm Gerrard is average at best.

I'm no expert in American football but lets think American football, when great offensive players lose, whatever they need for that position, do they make great defensive players ? ans i would expect 2 b no, same for soccer .

My god ,are you sure you're not an Evertonian Rijit ,just that you are so <deleted> bitter & twisted like them!!??

I doubt many Liverpool fans care if Gerrards the England capt or not (which this thread was originally about but has turned into a one man crusade to try & discredit him) ...No, scrap that ,most would sooner see him retire from international football & concentrate on Liverpool ,you know with Europe n all that to contend with .It's going to a busy ol' season .biggrin.pngthumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Fact is, if you have a General who is no good, Captain hasn't got a chance.

Been proven in battle over centuries.

Same in business.

Same in football.

Will General Hodgson be replaced?

Not until we have lost a shed load of casualties.

Helluva price to pay.

But try telling the FA grey suits that.

facepalm.gif

Priorities of the FA board...

1.Big bloody salary.

2. Sponsorship deals....to make sure my salary is covered.

3. Keeping my big bloody salary.

4. Custard creams or bourbons today?

5. Manager keeps his mouth shut and toes the line or else.

6. Corporate seating and menu details.

7. England PLC....oops.....facepalm.gif

• Like 2

My god ,are you sure you're not an Evertonian Rijit ,just that you are so <deleted> bitter & twisted like them!!??

I doubt many Liverpool fans care if Gerrards the England capt or not (which this thread was originally about but has turned into a one man crusade to try & discredit him) ...No, scrap that ,most would sooner see him retire from international football & concentrate on Liverpool ,you know with Europe n all that to contend with .It's going to a busy ol' season .biggrin.pngthumbsup.gif

why do Evertonians reckon Gerrard is a crap defending midfielder?, it's my opinion get the f--c over it, next season move your dumb red blinkered eyes and watch him IN FRONT OF HIS DEFENCE when your under pressure being attacked, he ain't that good.oh next you'll be telling me he just had a great season Yeah he did, ATTACKING 11? goals and ?? assists, attacking up there no arguments he's good but DEFENDING UNDERSTAND DEFENDING he aint that good, never been his game and probably never will be ,IMO certainly not after one season, where he's had a midfield tailored to suit him will that get him anywhere near the level you'd expect/hope an england capt to be.at? now toddle the f of bac to ure little thread called after your little city.

oh just a thought carmine/ alfie do you remember our ' debate' on verities DEFENDING , seems you u together a really similar argument about him remember? great season .player of the year, current international , goals assists it ect ect.