How well do you know the Thais?

Costas2008

Politeness and casual food sharing are a way of life in rural Thailand.

I don't believe any Tv member has claimed otherwise.

Most of the complaints I see are about sexual partners, an entirely different subject.

(And a few criminals usually found in tourist destinations)

Costas is right in everything he says, but I think the biggest gripe us TV members have is the vast majority of Thai drivers and motorbike riders, and I do not see myself refraining from ranting about them anytime soon.

You do have a point I try and not drive , prefer Taxi or any other form of transport, but if I have to, I will but I ain't keen.... As it scares me no end...

Nothing is perfect in any country, but I hope this general does something about the drunken drivers, etc etc etc, and it is not just Thais.

• Like 1

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of time and in any country, if you give respect you gain respect!

(always the exception exist)

Most of the time it is oneself who attract the good or the bad, knowingly or unknowingly.

• Like 2

yes Thailand is great and the people are nice but its the same in every other country as well. You will always find the good and the bad where ever you go. Most of the people in our area/village are great but there are some I wouldnt p*ss on if they were on fire, you cant judge a country by a few. Small villages are great because they are small, everyone is in everyone elses pocket, go to a red village and if you are not one of them then you can guarantee that you will not be happy there, it changes from place to place but dont let that detract from what you say about your village, they sound like a good bunch of people and you can find them all over if you look. I think you will find that most of the bitches in tv are more about individuals, not the whole population.

• Like 1

OP, you spend practically the entire day on Thai Visa certainly you are aware that this topic is created nearly every single day but you still found it necessary to post this drivel?

He is truly enlightended, at one with his Thainess.

Perhaps he could tell us how much sin sot he paid and how much he bungs his mrs each month.

OP, you spend practically the entire day on Thai Visa certainly you are aware that this topic is created nearly every single day but you still found it necessary to post this drivel?

Perhaps he could tell us how much sin sot he paid and how much he bungs his mrs each month.

Dont understand the necessity of these 2 comments.

• Like 2

As one who lives here and claims to know the Thais, maybe he doesnt know as much as he claims.

I know plenty of Thai men who dont give thier wives any monthly stipend, I know plenty of Thai men who didnt build a mansion in the back of beyond, I know plenty of Thai men who didnt buy gov't land in the back of beyond.

The reluctance to answer may be more revealing as to how much the OP actually knows the Thais.

For the record, I paid no sin sot and dont pay a woman to live with me.

May well be I dont know Jack Shit about the Thais.

I appreciate as always, your girl is different.

Spent many years travelling back and forth to various parts of Greece on Holiday each year. Lovely people, very friendly.

That can also be said of the Thais I encounter on a daily basis. The only time I tend to have issues is when I go to the more touristy areas and larger cities such as Bangkok.

I find people in most big cities around the world to be cold, gruff, distant, and generally unhelpful. Except New York, that is. But, I am very partial to NY. I cannot say that about Bangkok. I consider BKK. people to be amongst the most well adjusted, pleasant, positive, and helpful big city people anywhere in the world. I love spending time in that city. In the rural areas of Thailand people are positively delightful. Not an ounce of xenophobia, like in other countries such as Vietnam. The Thais are wonderful, in the majority. In places like Samui, some of the local people can be a bit jaded. But, even there most are kind and pleasant.

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

IMHO - we are in their country, a country that doesn't, like some of the countries we come from, allow anyone in - we have to qualify to live here. I think one has to see that to start with, then by trying to perceive how they see us, move on to trying to understand them.

Personally (and I've lived in town and country) I love 'em and think that there is a huge amount to be learned from them, I mean about being a human being, stuff we've lost in our gaining of 'sophistication' and our individualistic approach to life and our obsession with achievement.

I have, as we speak, six of 'em staying here (in a town) working on my bungalow (building renovation) - I have had renovated, many properties over the years in the UK, almost always a nightmare experience whereas this two month job by comparison has been a dream.

It's true to say that I know the people: they traveled down to do this job from an Issan village where my partner and I had a house built; they are able to work and live together with very little conflict or 'issues' but they know they have my respect and I know I have theirs - we're very different but we know and accept a lot about each other and, like I said, we might have lost our countries but this is their country.

Sounds like you've got the bug.

Huge amount to learn from them about being human? Surely you jest, no?

What? How to eat, sleep and screw?

The warmest, most honest and friendly people I've ever met were in those sophisticated places which lost those being human aspects as you say.

Americans, for example, give more of their resources than any others on earth.

The French, despite their well known sophistication, were exceptionally warm-hearted when I lived in toulouse for a year a couple decades back.

When you talk to the average MEasterner, you get a sense of their honesty. They put their hand over their hearts to thank you for something you've done for them.

Ever been to any part of Africa? Maybe the warmest people on earth.

Thais are very polite. Very polite as their cultural rules dictate. But, they are far from honest on average and they are anything but warm or friendly. Don't confuse polite with friendly.

A culture that seems to value at its core lying and FACE could not possibly have much to teach the world about being human. Being truly human (selfless, honest, warm and friendly, ect.) is the exact opposite in fact of general Thai cultural traits.

please dont generalize about my family based on the quality of thais you know.

As one who lives here and claims to know the Thais, maybe he doesnt know as much as he claims.

I know plenty of Thai men who dont give thier wives any monthly stipend, I know plenty of Thai men who didnt build a mansion in the back of beyond, I know plenty of Thai men who didnt buy gov't land in the back of beyond.

The reluctance to answer may be more revealing as to how much the OP actually knows the Thais.

For the record, I paid no sin sot and dont pay a woman to live with me.

May well be I dont know Jack Shit about the Thais.

I appreciate as always, your girl is different.

you sure dont! in our village, the WOMEN give the MEN a monthly stipend

Politeness and casual food sharing are a way of life in rural Thailand.

I don't believe any Tv member has claimed otherwise.

Most of the complaints I see are about sexual partners, an entirely different subject.

(And a few criminals usually found in tourist destinations)

Moved near the village a few years back a woman drives her cows past me everyday, she nods her head, I bought her some mangoes cut up a couple of times, she never bought me anything. A s soon as I got 2 Thai staff she came round with a bag of mangoes for them.

She asked if she could graze her cows on my land , I said ok. Later her cows started to eat my trees which i didnt want, I told her to stop. She ignored it. I told her twice again before she finally stopped.

When I bought the land the neighbour who owns land up the hill told us the boundaries ( not chanote area but most is chanote) the owner couldnt be here he was too ill, also the agent selling it told us. Later we found out they had ( conspired) stolen 5 rai of land that should have been ours.

Someone else in the village called some land dept and told them we were cutting down trees up the hill and they came to check our land..............There were NO trees up the hill and we had been cutting nothing.......case closed.

We have nothing to do with the village now and Im happy ti stays that way, they know not to call round when one of them dies either and the monks dont come.

Edited by kannot

IMHO - we are in their country, a country that doesn't, like some of the countries we come from, allow anyone in - we have to qualify to live here. I think one has to see that to start with, then by trying to perceive how they see us, move on to trying to understand them.

Personally (and I've lived in town and country) I love 'em and think that there is a huge amount to be learned from them, I mean about being a human being, stuff we've lost in our gaining of 'sophistication' and our individualistic approach to life and our obsession with achievement.

I have, as we speak, six of 'em staying here (in a town) working on my bungalow (building renovation) - I have had renovated, many properties over the years in the UK, almost always a nightmare experience whereas this two month job by comparison has been a dream.

It's true to say that I know the people: they traveled down to do this job from an Issan village where my partner and I had a house built; they are able to work and live together with very little conflict or 'issues' but they know they have my respect and I know I have theirs - we're very different but we know and accept a lot about each other and, like I said, we might have lost our countries but this is their country.

The warmest, most honest and friendly people I've ever met were in those sophisticated places which lost those being human aspects as you say.

The French, despite their well known sophistication, were exceptionally warm-hearted when I lived in toulouse for a year a couple decades back.

When you talk to the average MEasterner, you get a sense of their honesty. They put their hand over their hearts to thank you for something you've done for them.

Thais are very polite. Very polite as their cultural rules dictate. But, they are far from honest on average and they are anything but warm or friendly. Don't confuse polite with friendly.

A culture that seems to value at its core lying and FACE could not possibly have much to teach the world about being human. Being truly human (selfless, honest, warm and friendly, ect.) is the exact opposite in fact of general Thai cultural traits.

I know more types of quality Thais than most.

And, my comments are applicable to the full range of Thais.

General cultural traits. Every countrt has a set of these cultural leanings or preferences.

General cultural traits. Every countrt has a set of these cultural leanings or preferences.

well perhaps they do but you sure dont have a clue about them

As long as you remain in your place, the Thai people love the farang.

If you want to get on with Thais, just learn "aroi aroi", "sanook", and 'mai chawp pet".

Don't try to integrate and always make them feel superior.

Thai people "love farang" Do they ?, and "ALWAYS make them feel Superior" , how do I do that, bow, wai, bend over, suck or blow ? or sing a Thai song ?

Include "Thailan number 1" at every alternate sentence in your conversation.

Wow. Perhaps. Perhaps it is you who knows nothing about them.

I suppose we'll never know.

What is clear, however, is that you have not expanded on anything or systematically refuted anything I claimed. You simply have said "I don't agree" which is quite easy to do.

Give me some intelligent replies and I'll give proper respect to those responses.

• Like 1

What is clear, however, is that you have not expanded on anything or systematically refuted anything I claimed. You simply have said "I don't agree" which is quite easy to do.

Give me some intelligent replies and I'll give proper respect to those responses.

your vile generalizations dont deserve replies pal. your observations on honesty, warmth and friendliness are nonsense and you obviously spend time with a very narrow slice of the population.

your vile generalizations dont deserve replies pal. your observations on honesty, warmth and friendliness are nonsense and you obviously spend time with a very narrow slice of the population.

OK. So, then stop replying. Easy.

• Like 1

as long as you continue with your bigoted generaliztions about an entire nationality based on your limited experience, expect folks to reply

as long as you continue with your bigoted generaliztions about an entire nationality based on your limited experience, expect folks to reply

And, as long as you are lazy and/or incapable to make an effort to educate people as to why their opinions are incorrect, expect to be wasting your time and looking like you are one of those people who simply can't construct any logical explanations for your opinions.

• Like 1

s wh

And, as long as you are lazy and/or incapable to make an effort to educate people as to why their opinions are incorrect, expect to be wasting your time and looking like you are one of those people who simply can't construct any logical explanations for your opinions.

ANYONE who requires explanations and examples why it is nonsense to claim a whole nationality or race is dishonest,selfish and unfriendly is beyond help. its bigotry and racism pure and simple and civilized society abhors it.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

These are the people, I'm fed up listening to, as stated in my OP, and decided to open this thread and share my experience with other members.

The first one, I feel sorry for the sad life he has, and he is not even willing to listen to the other side of life in Thailand.

Anything good about Thailand is a drivel for you?

The second one, I feel really sorry for him, he must have had a very bad experience living in Thailand.

As about me, I never paid any sin sot, and if you follow my posts I am against farangs paying sin sot, but that is up to every individual.

As about the money, I bung my Mrs.......I can tell you that she earns as much as I earn.

So we share all our expenses.

It has been a partnership in the past and will carry on in the future.

My marriage is not based on money, but trust and understanding.

• Like 1

s wh

ANYONE who requires explanations and examples why it is nonsense to claim a whole nationality or race is dishonest,selfish and unfriendly is beyond help. its bigotry and racism pure and simple and civilized society abhors it.

If you look carefully at my posts, you may come to realize that my sentiment is expressed generally and based on my experience.

Yours may be different.

Why can't you explain the difference? Too busy? Tired? Subject difficult?

s wh

If you look carefully at my posts, you may come to realize that my sentiment is eso open to rational discussion!! lolxpressed generally and based on my experience.

Yours may be different.

Why can't you explain the difference? Too busy? Tired? Subject difficult?

yeah, it would have been a real profitable exercise explaining the difference to hitler, goebels, george wallace, lestor maddox, the KKK , farrakhan and all those others whose sentiments were based on experience too! Bigots are known for their willlingness to consider other points of view!! lol