Curtailing ties with Thailand to have repercussions on the EU too, FTI warns

webfact

Well I guess this will mean the end of the EU then.

Don't think they need any help from Thailand! they seem to be doing OK in the regard. give it a few years and the Euro will be dead and

the EU will break up as well!

• Like 2

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the butterfly that stamped

a great "Just so story"

I would argue that the EU is just as important or as unimportant to Thailand as Thailand is to the EU!! China, USA, Japan and Asian countries make up 89% of our trade but here is an article from the EUs own "trade" website showing Thailand is not as powerless to the EU as some of your pro red shirt egos would suggest!!

http://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/countries-and-regions/countries/thailand/

Please note EU EXPORTS 16 billion dollars of goods in 2013

EU IMPORTS 18 billion dollars of goods in 2013

I believe this supports the article that EU has much to lose even if it DOES go all the way down the road of severing Thai relations completely

Assuming that there are few Thais posting on this thread, it seems that many from the West are deeply estranged from their own countries, and identify themselves with the military system of government in Thailand. I wonder what rights and safeguards they will enjoy under martial law or any new legal framework, should the climate become less sympathetic towards expatriates.

• Like 2

The EU is run by politicians elected to Government by democratic voting, these people will depend on the system for their jobs of course they will pressure anyone who doesn't follow the same system. Thailand can and has well survived without the support of Europe for a long time, The west is influenced by Shinawatra owned media, they know nothing of the corruption, the murders, the lying and the unpleasantness that this brings. WE however know how much better Thailand is when its run for the people by the army. When corruption and its allies are removed and people can go about their lives without disruption and danger from red shirt attacks and threats. The EU has no right to impose this on anyone through another rigged, false, cheated, bought election. Ask the EU how many non Pheu Thai candidates stood in the North and North East last election and were unharrased? Those of you wanting undemocratic elections now should go back to the EU and hold them there!! 90% of Thais like our country the way it is now!! Its up to us NOT up to you!!

Funny this.

Most brussels are appointed in brussels not elected by national populations.

Apart from the fact that Im, not sure what a "brussel" is......thats loosely true!!

Now then!! The bit you missed out... can you tell us - the main sources of Euro MP's?? NO idea??? OK Ill tell you....

Over a third of MEPs have previously held national parliamentary mandates, and over 10% have ministerial experience at a national level. There are usually a high percentage of former prime ministers and former members of the European Commission. Many other MEPs have held office at a regional or local level in their home states after gaining office through democratic election. (source - European affairs treaty 2010)

so they HAVE been elected under democratic systems and rely on this system for their jobs.....anything else??

That's as maybe. But reality is, many positions in the EU framework are nor elected by the population but by the organisation themselves.

Mr Rompuy is now my first European president. I have absolutely no clue about his politics or correctness for the job. Yay for democracy.

MEPs make up only one part of the system in brussels

As i said before - the criteria for becoming an M~EP elected by brussels is that you've PREVIOUSLY been elected in your own country's democratic system. Lets take the example you yourself give

As if to prove a point............. your MEP Hermann Van Rompuy was 66th Prime Minister of Belgium he was not only elected to his own party the Christian Democrat and Flemish Party twice but also to the office as well under democratic systems. So you see he has been elected by national populations many times!!

Assuming that there are few Thais posting on this thread, it seems that many from the West are deeply estranged from their own countries, and identify themselves with the military system of government in Thailand. I wonder what rights and safeguards they will enjoy under martial law or any new legal framework, should the climate become less sympathetic towards expatriates.

Westerners weren't targeted during the protests and I believe most westerners here don't really want a Military Government but sometimes the choice is obvious....look at the Ukraine..they theoretically installed a democratic government but really a puppet government of the US and they are still fighting...Thailand was never at the same level of violence as the Ukraine.

But after the fact of the coup....and if the General does what he says...it's still a great place for westerners..not much has changed...except no more protests in the streets & appears that corruption is being addressed..the rice farmers were paid, the economy has a chance to rebuild...yeah I'm sure some Thai aren't happy but I think the majority see it as better.

There's no room for complaining for the Thai people and maybe civil liberties have been curtailed...but if you have a good leader...military control will work just fine.

• Like 2

I am sure these people will greatly miss their caring sharing Pheu Thai Government and all it did for expatriates as this greatly exceeds what it did for its own countries poor rice farmers!!

Edited by love1012

I believe it will be very difficult in the near future for many western countries to have dealings with a military run Thailand.

Public sentiment, in the west especially, does not generally support military run countries..

Unless they have oil,natural gas, rare earth minerals,or are of strategic value.

Yes...of course......

I believe it will be very difficult in the near future for many western countries to have dealings with a military run Thailand.

Public sentiment, in the west especially, does not generally support military run countries..

Unless it is the thugs as in Egypt. Results regarding opponents same as ISIS except for Stalinist type show trials. Thailand needs to give some support to Muslim nut cases in South in order for governments in the west to overlook coup and pump more money in.. That's my advice.

Lets finish the discussion, come back when you actually know what you're talking about.

I live in Thailand..I lived here during the demonstrations..Maybe to EU the government in Thailand is not legitimate..I can tell you who is firmly in control...& I believe the majority of Thai believe it's a better government than the alternative.

If you live in Thailand ....we can continue this discussion.

I live in Thailand also, but since I must have missed it, can you remind me when the current government was elected ?

re. the EU reaction to Egypt's overthrow of a democratically elected government

As Egypt’s military overthrew a democratically elected and constitutional government, imprisoning the country’s president along with hundreds of his supporters, Lady Ashton ( Europe’s foreign minister ) issued this.

I urge all sides to rapidly return to the democratic process, including the holding of free and fair presidential and parliamentary elections and the approval of a constitution, to be done in a fully inclusive manner, so as to permit the country to resume and complete its democratic transition.

I hope that the new administration will be fully inclusive and reiterate the importance of ensuring full respect for fundamental rights, freedoms, and the rule of law and will hold the authorities to account for this.

I strongly condemn all violent acts, offer my condolences to the families of the victims, and urge the security forces to do everything in their power to protect the lives and well-being of Egyptian citizens.

I call on all sides to exercise maximum restraint.

The European Union remains unequivocally committed to supporting the Egyptian people in their aspirations to democracy and inclusive governance.”

Here is a statement that neglects to even mention the main event: a military intervention, a coup d'état, to overthrow the government.

If the West describes the coup as a coup, and it is clearly is exactly that, then the US and the EU would be forced to take sanctions against the Egyptian regime and that would interrupt the cosy world of diplomatic bureaucracy that prefers not to rock the boat when it is only a minor matter of democracy for Arabs.

But better yet since you live in Thailand...Go tell the military that they are not a legitimate government.

The EU is controlled by the US so appears along with the US Human Trafficking that the West is unhappy with Thailand...because of democracy? because of slavery? because they can't pay anyone to do their bidding in Thailand?

Democracy & slavery is a non issue with the US & it's basically Puppet States in Europe..What's needed is leaders that will accept payments so the big Corporations have free rein to rape the country more than they already have.

Thailand is right to stand up to the Bullies...best course of action they can take is to publically declare they will not use the US petro dollar for anything..as Russia & China & many other countries are beginning to do.

The American dollar is on the point of total collapse...probably in the next 5 years if not sooner.

The US has no friends outside the US except the ones they have paid...once the collapse starts the bully will be on their own.

The danger to Thailand in the short time is the US is probably already trying to figure out which Generals they can buy to have a coup from the coup...

The EU is a basket case anyways & with now Gas supplies in jeopardy because of the US pushing them to support their Nazi government in Ukraine...the EU will have no choice but to say No to the US...wait until fall when it starts getting cold.

The US couldn't care less about the people in Ukraine, Europe or in fact Thailand.

There's some posts saying the US and it's consumers won't buy Thai shrimp because they think it's from slave labor..They buy coffee,chocolate,veggies from California & Mexico...The average American is having difficulty buying goods from Walmart that is mostly Chinese as Walmart's sales are declining.Consumers buy at the cheapest price no matter where it's from.

Besides after the US dollar collapse the US won't be able to afford to buy Thai slaved shri

What a load of total crap!

Yes total crap!

So you don't know that since the fall of the Soviet Union that the US believes they are the lone Super Power?........ crap

That The US government tells their own people that are "Exceptional" in the world ? .................. crap

That the US government in Washington is controlled by "Dark Forces or inner Government" that have no concern for the American people but only about world control & profit? .. crap

That the US dollar is based on the "Petro Dollar" orchestrated between Nixon & Saudi Arabia and has no real value except if countries continue to use it? .... crap

Countries such as Russia,China,India,Iran & many more I think Australia has also started are moving away from the Petro Dollar? .... crap

That the US has no friends outside of the US except by the people they pay or bully?... crap

That the US wasn't responsible for enacting a coup in the Ukraine against a democratically elected government and installed ...Yes Nazis..although neo Nazis or fascists they are also called..but in effect they are Nazis..... crap

The EU is a basket case...mostly because of their being bullied by US & involvement by IMF in countries like Greece,Italy,Spain?...That it was the US through their puppet government in Ukraine that have quit paying for their gas debt to Russia & in turn gas supplies are threatened to Europe?... crap

The US government couldn't care less about the people in Europe,Ukraine or Thailand.? .that goes back to them being "Exceptional...it's about raping their economies for the US benefit... crap

It's not slavery in Thai Fishing fleets from what I understand..they used to sucker Thai before to go on these boats for promised good wages but ended up with long hours & poor wages & abuse...Now the Thai know & they are using neighbouring countries people's with no papers & don't know any better..they are not slaves they just can't get off the boat until they come back to shore...with abuse,long hours & low wages..but they are not slaves for life...this is just a term to use in media to get people up in a uproar..maybe better conditions on american farms with latinos but similar treatment & abuse but that's ok because they are in the land of the free not the Gulf of Thailand.....crap

Chocolate is grown in the Ivory Coast & they use actually child slaves...they get a tier 2 because obviously westerners like chocolate but that's ok.......... crap

I could go on with more crap..about the US destroying almost every country in Central & South America economies in the name of cheap coffee & bananas & other resources.

or the World Trade Buildings as an inside job that These dark forces would kill their own people...no where else in history have 3 building collapsed in free fall from a fire..they are definitely controlled demolition...or how a passenger airplane can fit into a 5 m hole at the Pentagon.

So yes this is how the US operates..start in the western media how slaves are in Thailand..we gonna sanction their goods...get their little friends like the EU to chirp in about legitimate government...pressure Thailand to get with the program or we'll replace you..somehow... someway..

If Thailand is on the bad side of the US...anything can happen & it won't be pretty..

Yeah I know already..

all crap.

Sounds like "crap" wins!......anyway, a compelling post.

The EU is run by politicians elected to Government by democratic voting, these people will depend on the system for their jobs of course they will pressure anyone who doesn't follow the same system. Thailand can and has well survived without the support of Europe for a long time, The west is influenced by Shinawatra owned media, they know nothing of the corruption, the murders, the lying and the unpleasantness that this brings. WE however know how much better Thailand is when its run for the people by the army. When corruption and its allies are removed and people can go about their lives without disruption and danger from red shirt attacks and threats. The EU has no right to impose this on anyone through another rigged, false, cheated, bought election. Ask the EU how many non Pheu Thai candidates stood in the North and North East last election and were unharrased? Those of you wanting undemocratic elections now should go back to the EU and hold them there!! 90% of Thais like our country the way it is now!! Its up to us NOT up to you!!

Funny this.

Most brussels are appointed in brussels not elected by national populations.

Apart from the fact that Im, not sure what a "brussel" is......thats loosely true!!

Now then!! The bit you missed out... can you tell us - the main sources of Euro MP's?? NO idea??? OK Ill tell you....

Over a third of MEPs have previously held national parliamentary mandates, and over 10% have ministerial experience at a national level. There are usually a high percentage of former prime ministers and former members of the European Commission. Many other MEPs have held office at a regional or local level in their home states after gaining office through democratic election. (source - European affairs treaty 2010)

so they HAVE been elected under democratic systems and rely on this system for their jobs.....anything else??

That's as maybe. But reality is, many positions in the EU framework are nor elected by the population but by the organisation themselves.

Mr Rompuy is now my first European president. I have absolutely no clue about his politics or correctness for the job. Yay for democracy.

MEPs make up only one part of the system in brussels

As i said before - the criteria for becoming an M~EP elected by brussels is that you've PREVIOUSLY been elected in your own country's democratic system. Lets take the example you yourself give

As if to prove a point............. your MEP Hermann Van Rompuy was 66th Prime Minister of Belgium he was not only elected to his own party the Christian Democrat and Flemish Party twice but also to the office as well under democratic systems. So you see he has been elected by national populations many times!!

But not by the European population in order to be president of the EU. Which I think you would agree since the EU being a democracy and all, might be useful to elect instead of appoint.

I mean he's representing me after all

Despite its many claims to the contrary, the European Union is, itself, an Anti-Democratic and grotesquely, criminally corrupt organisation.

The Member states of the EU pay lip service only to the EU's bizarre and Kafkaesque apology for a "Foreign Service".

Could anyone believe for more than a nanosecond, that a British, German, Italian or French company would pause in their quests to sell yet more to their Thai customers?

The vast majority of the Thai people are thankful that their Army have rescued them from the endless ambitions, corruption and self interest of those who wielded power in their hijacked democracy.

• Like 1

Most of you guys are grossly misinformed, lack any grasp of history here among the other 18 coups or attempted coups and/or show no understanding of geopolitical issues.

It's not just the trade that might suffer. EU countries invest massively more in Thailand than visa versa.

The military coups have followed predictable paths. Could this one be different? Anything is possible.

• Like 1

The EU is controlled by the US so appears along with the US Human Trafficking that the West is unhappy with Thailand...because of democracy? because of slavery? because they can't pay anyone to do their bidding in Thailand?

You will find that the recent EU sanctions are not related to their human trafficking record, but are because there is no legitimate government currently.

No legitimate government?...Of course they have sanctioned Egypt?..Ukraine? Iraq? Obviously you believe the lies...

The military coup in Thailand was the best thing that happened and as they are firmly in control..they are as legitimate as any government..The EU is trying to pressure Thailand via the US behind the scenes & of course not going to publically declare that the US behind this or that they want a Thai government in power that they can buy & manipulate.

So in your world might is always right. You won't be unhappy then if the Russian mafia can put the muscle together and take over Thailand or anywhere else for that matter?

Democracy & slavery is a non issue with the US & it's basically Puppet States in Europe..What's needed is leaders that will accept payments so the big Corporations have free rein to rape the country more than they already have.

Thailand is right to stand up to the Bullies...best course of action they can take is to publically declare they will not use the US petro dollar for anything..as Russia & China & many other countries are beginning to do.

The American dollar is on the point of total collapse...probably in the next 5 years if not sooner.

The US has no friends outside the US except the ones they have paid...once the collapse starts the bully will be on their own.

The danger to Thailand in the short time is the US is probably already trying to figure out which Generals they can buy to have a coup from the coup...

The EU is a basket case anyways & with now Gas supplies in jeopardy because of the US pushing them to support their Nazi government in Ukraine...the EU will have no choice but to say No to the US...wait until fall when it starts getting cold.

The US couldn't care less about the people in Ukraine, Europe or in fact Thailand.

There's some posts saying the US and it's consumers won't buy Thai shrimp because they think it's from slave labor..They buy coffee,chocolate,veggies from California & Mexico...The average American is having difficulty buying goods from Walmart that is mostly Chinese as Walmart's sales are declining.Consumers buy at the cheapest price no matter where it's from.

Besides after the US dollar collapse the US won't be able to afford to buy Thai slaved shrimp.

Please, I beg you, hold your breath until the things you predict happen. As I have stated previously, we do have immense problems in the U.S. but I reject your scenario. I am sure your country could do much better...oh, what country is that? Which country retains the hopes for many around the globe? (Allowing we have fallen short on many occasions, but then again we have risen to the occasion on many other occasions). I assume you think the world would be a much better place without the U.S.? Doesn't wash.

Despite its many claims to the contrary, the European Union is, itself, an Anti-Democratic and grotesquely, criminally corrupt organisation.

The Member states of the EU pay lip service only to the EU's bizarre and Kafkaesque apology for a "Foreign Service".

Could anyone believe for more than a nanosecond, that a British, German, Italian or French company would pause in their quests to sell yet more to their Thai customers?

The vast majority of the Thai people are thankful that their Army have rescued them from the endless ambitions, corruption and self interest of those who wielded power in their hijacked democracy.

For the, what? 19th time. I am hopeful but am not ready to pronounce everything fixed. I think you go too far.

You will find that the recent EU sanctions are not related to their human trafficking record, but are because there is no legitimate government currently.

No legitimate government?...Of course they have sanctioned Egypt?..Ukraine? Iraq? Obviously you believe the lies...

The military coup in Thailand was the best thing that happened and as they are firmly in control..they are as legitimate as any government..The EU is trying to pressure Thailand via the US behind the scenes & of course not going to publically declare that the US behind this or that they want a Thai government in power that they can buy & manipulate.

So in your world might is always right. You won't be unhappy then if the Russian mafia can put the muscle together and take over Thailand or anywhere else for that matter?

I have faith that the Thais can handle the Russian Mafia. My concern is more focused on China. Somehow I do not think the Thai historic ability to play one side off against another is going to fit so well with the traditional View of the Middle Kingdom.

I will confess to sharing a concern about the European companies continuing trade. Seems that is a major consideration regarding sanctions on Russia as a result of Russia's unilateral military seizing of sovereign territory in the Ukraine (Crimea).

In a democracy, if the people feel they are poorly served, they have an election and throw the bums out. But I agree with you, Thailand does not have a functioning democracy as yet. While I hold my nose, I too think the military stepping in forestalled certain bloodshed.

Edited by wwest5829

I have faith that the Thais can handle the Russian Mafia. My concern is more focused on China. Somehow I do not think the Thai historic ability to play one side off against another is going to fit so well with the traditional View of the Middle Kingdom.

You are forgetting that the largest investors in Thailand are from Japan, and the new great game is playing the Chinese off against the Japanese.

thailand overplaying their hand ... again & again

what what do you get when those brats are told from young age they are so better & superior than anyone else, even they have no education or manners

• Like 1

You are forgetting that the largest investors in Thailand are from Japan, and the new great game is playing the Chinese off against the Japanese.

I agree with your statement. I'm betting that the Japanese may well go elsewhere unless they see changes in Thailand and in Thailand's support for Japan contesting China's realitively new agressive stance in territorial claims.

The EU is controlled by the US

blink.png

Who controls Nato? who makes decisions to go to War?..who makes decisions to sanction Russia over the US supported coup in Ukraine?..

Who makes reports on Human Trafficking & says Thailand is tier 3 & the US is tier 1?

Then the EU threatens sanctions against Thailand for a coup but Egypt's coup was ok.

The US has to have it's little friends along so it doesn't look like they are doing it alone.

• Like 1

Sorry for getting off track about the US but it is a concern to Thailand...

Since the history is now it's kinda difficult to know exactly what is going on behind the scenes.

But this is how it starts...you see reports in the media...and you can take it at face value...or try to see what's really going on.

Many posters here try to ridicule Thailand..all the Thainess jokes although I think they don't really know what that term means.

Thai are proud people and I would like to think of Thailand and it's future as the glass being half full...not half empty.

Americans are proud people too..I certainly don't consider myself anti American but consider that neo cons that control Washington as evil..even against the American people.

The military in Thailand in my opinion are doing a good job & hope it continues..if I am wrong, time will tell & the search for truth is important.

If outside forces are against Thailand's future I hope Thailand will prevail.

Supant Mongkolsuthree, chairman of the Federation of Thai Industries (FTI), said the benefits from free-trade agreements normally were bilateral, and if the EU continued with this measure, it too would lose out on benefits.

Yeah right! Like 100% import tax on goods from the EU and 200% on cars. Don't see any "bilateral free trade agreement" there!

Spot-on!clap2.gifclap2.gif

Same with Aussie products, too. despite free trade agreement, don't see any concessions on Oz products in the aisles of my Tesco.