Can you get Virus from Vector, Raster, JPG, EPS, PNG, AI downloaded or on Pantip DVD ?

BKKdreaming

Hi

just wondering how safe graphic files are that you download or from DVDs at Pantip etc

and if it possible to get a virus what is the best way to scan a DVD full of images ?

I am mostly looking for Graphic files to use with Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop

thanks for your help

Myth

A Jpeg file can contain a virus.

Truth

A JPEG is a file can get infected. However, in order to activate the virus, the file must be run. As the JPEG file is an image file, it will not be executed as long as the image is not processed by any other type of program.

Hence, if the image is executed by a program like a library or a database, the system can get infected.

Myth

A Jpeg file can contain a virus.

Truth

A JPEG is a file can get infected. However, in order to activate the virus, the file must be run. As the JPEG file is an image file, it will not be executed as long as the image is not processed by any other type of program.

Hence, if the image is executed by a program like a library or a database, the system can get infected.

ok......well then is there a scanner that would go thru a DVD of images and scan which ones have this "infection" ?

Sure, all the antivirus programs I have used you can have it scan a certain drive like a DVD, floppy disk, etc. Just scan the disk before using it...and hope whatever antivirus program you are using spots any virus. And another thing to consider is a virus/malware could be on the DVD as a hidden file...not even infecting any of the other files/images/etc., on the disk. That hidden file is just waiting for you to insert it into your CD/DVD drive so it can do its nasty stuff. But hopefully whatever firewall/antivirus program you have running on your computer would block/spot/quarantine it. Heck last year I bought a couple of disks, slide them in to my DVD drive, and my Norton 360 said one was infected with virus XYZ. A person just needs a good firewall/antivirus running on their computer at all times to hopefully defeat the infections---but none of those programs are perfect.