Trying to upgrade SUV - Frustrating

tczack

Hi All,

I have been driving a Toyota SUV for the last 7 or 8 years, and it is a great car.

Now I want to buy a new SUV, as it is getting a bit old, and want to upgrade a bit, but cannot afford something fancy like the Lexus (4M to 6M), and it seems there are no vehicles in the Mid-Grade.

All around !.2M to 1.5M THB

Toyota

Isuzu

Mitsubishi

Subaru

Etc.

Above 4M

Lexus
BMW (except mini X which is too small)

Porsche

Volvo

Etc.

Does anyone know of a vehicle like a Fortuner in terms of size and function, that has a nicer interior, more extras, and is in the range of 2M to 2.5M THB?

There seems to be a real gap in the middle???

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks bkkjames,

I already had a Ford "Exploder" years ago in the US, and don't really want the hassles of a grey-market car in Thailand.

I just find it odd that there is such a gap in the middle of the SUV lineup.

The reason for the gap is that one group are built in Thailand the other are imported and therefore subject to more duties.

The Thai-built SUVs are for the most part simply modified pickup trucks.....hence the crude interiors and mech spec.

You might look at "recent" secondhand imported vehicles as they drop quite a lot in price in the first few years

• Like 2

Suggest you stick with the top end of a fortuner, guess price is around 1.55mln. I had a Lexus 350h before in Singapore, I did like it but to be honest it is not such a big upgrade to the Fortuner and the price in Thailsnd for such imported cars is just outrageous. Basically most of the price for a Lexus or BMW or Audi goes to the government in the form of tax which is not woth it in my opinion.

• Like 2

The above mentioned Kia Sorrento around 1.7m

The new Mazda Cx-5, but is not as big as the "wish list", also at 1.69m top spec

Or the Subaru Forester Turbo at 2.49m I think. Sure the most fun to drive.

I am pretty certain in terms of driving experience those 3 are a big step above a Fortuner, Trailblazer, etc. if you can live with a bit less space and service centers around (for the last 2)

If you are not happy with the Japanese offerings: Mazda CX5, Honda CRV or the Subaru Forester mentioned by Frankphuket (2.42m, the turbo really has some oomph for a SUV - 0-60 in about 7 sec, a real offroader too and has some surprising luxury touches for a Subaru like an electric tailgate and Harmon/Kardon entertainment system) what about the Mercedes GLA at 2.44m?

The Mercedes is supposed to compete with the X1 and Audi Q3. Whilst it is really only half SUV and more hatchback reviews indicate it is a better drive and better specced than the A series. In Thailand only one option perhaps a bit underpowered and only 2 wheel drive

Disadvantages of the Subaru and the Mercedes is that there is quite a long delivery time, perhaps 6 months

New Subaru Forester Turbo......... Airbags, side airbags and curtain airbags....... New model few for sale 6 - 8 months old around 1.8 - 1.9 million, looks a good deal..

1 year old BMW X3 very top end of your budget.. diesel Turbo 0- 100 8.5 sec + 18 KM per lt.... lost 800,000 baht is 12 months !!

2 year old Audi Q5 Turbo........ lost 1 million + baht in 2 years.

Brand New........ Poor mans Benz ML....New model Ssangyoung 'Rexton 2'.. 2.7 Turbo, new 2.7 million....... even the little smaller same shape M 200 XDi Turbo 'Kyron' brand new 1.7 million..

Use to use Benz running gear and engines, no idea about the new models

As other have said not a lot of options, Thai built or Import at a huge import duty price

Edit: Also remember some of the non every day models = expensive parts and service, maybe even have to wait weeks if something has to be ordered.

Edited by ignis

^Yup, best option of all in the full size locally made reasonable price segment is to try to wait until next year to see the new Fortuner and new Everest. I'm hoping they do an upscale version, as there is a real gap in that segment. MUX is nice, but not too upscale, and also in terms of image.

^Yup, best option of all in the full size locally made reasonable price segment is to try to wait until next year to see the new Fortuner and new Everest. I'm hoping they do an upscale version, as there is a real gap in that segment. MUX is nice, but not too upscale, and also in terms of image.

New Nissan X-Trail is right around the corner isn't it? Agree that the mid-size SUV market in LOS is very underserved!

New Nissan X-Trail is right around the corner isn't it? Agree that the mid-size SUV market in LOS is very underserved!

Has it been confirmed that Nissan are going to produce a 7-seater based off that new Navara NP 300 truck platform? That could be very nice if they do it right. The current X-trail is indeed a midsize, so would not be in the same category.

Has it been confirmed that Nissan are going to produce a 7-seater based off that new Navara NP 300 truck platform? That could be very nice if they do it right. The current X-trail is indeed a midsize, so would not be in the same category.

or will it be this one http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/480728/Nissan-X-Trail-car-review

or will it be this one http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/480728/Nissan-X-Trail-car-review

If it's not pickup based, we will end up with silly pricing again...

• Like 1

Nothing out of Nissan TH, but Nissan AU have spilled some beans to suggest it's in dev. The big question is whether or not TH will get the new X-Trail (AKA Pathfinder elsewhere) - at this stage a Navara PPV seems to be the odds-on favorite.

Nothing out of Nissan TH, but Nissan AU have spilled some beans to suggest it's in dev. The big question is whether or not TH will get the new X-Trail (AKA Pathfinder elsewhere) - at this stage a Navara PPV seems to be the odds-on favorite.

Good info, thanks. Yeah, it only makes sense that Nissan would choose a PPV (not a police pursuit vehicle but pickup based SUV for those who didn't know tongue.png ) to compete with Ford and Toyota's upcoming offerings. The current MUX will get some competition, and the PJS is past its sell-by date.

Good info, thanks. Yeah, it only makes sense that Nissan would choose a PPV (not a police pursuit vehicle but pickup based SUV for those who didn't know tongue.png ) to compete with Ford and Toyota's upcoming offerings. The current MUX will get some competition, and the PJS is past its sell-by date.

Indo getting 7 seater suspect we will to.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If it's not pickup based, we will end up with silly pricing again...

I don't think it's based on a truck (Navarra) but a Nissan global SUV platform. I think it's the same model on sale in UK and Oz already.

From my understanding the NEW X-Trail will replace the old one, so it is in competition with Honda CRV, Chevy Craptiva (oops), Mazda CX5 I would think.

The old one did not sell too well in the Thai market, but did so world wide, big hit was the Diesel, which was never brought to Thailand.

Styling somehow in Thailand did not do well....I liked it and bought one for my wife, which she still likes dearly after 7 years. It is to be seen which engines they will bring and if the design will be more interesting for the Thai market.

Right now for Japs the only option is the Cx5 as the CRV really has rather outdated engines.

Actually, there's a writeup about this in the BK Post. It says Nissan is going to pursue a bold dual SUV strategy like Chevy with the Trailblazer and Captiva. They will have the X-trail to compete with the CX-5 & Captiva, and some Navara based big SUV to compete with the Tuna, Everest, PJS, Trailblazer.

• Like 1

Ford is made here, not a grey import

Thanks bkkjames,

I already had a Ford "Exploder" years ago in the US, and don't really want the hassles of a grey-market car in Thailand.

Actually, there's a writeup about this in the BK Post. It says Nissan is going to pursue a bold dual SUV strategy like Chevy with the Trailblazer and Captiva. They will have the X-trail to compete with the CX-5 & Captiva, and some Navara based big SUV to compete with the Tuna, Everest, PJS, Trailblazer.

Let's see what actually materializes.... the Pathfinder/X-Trail is currently made in Spain for Oceana markets, so no benefit at all in TH sourcing for ANZ and ME, which are usually fairly critical for export success, and export success is needed to justify domestic production...

Edited by IMHO

Ford is made here, not a grey import

Thanks bkkjames,

Not the Exploder Explorer he's talking about... very different car to what was sold here with the Explorer badge.. If they sold it here, I might actually buy a Ford :P