How do the Thais view Japanese/Koreans?

hellohello123

Curious question, lots of opinions expressed here by and about farangs

but when i stroll around the streets of bkk, I usually pay attention to how how non farangs get treated, say the arabs, indians, blacks etc.

How are the japanese/koreans seen as from thai perspective???? are they all lumped into the foreigner categories with farangs??

are they considered say more desirable then a thai man in general,

Ive heard both mixed opinions ranging from "I wouldnt go near them" to "they are sophisticated, cultured, polite and gentle, and are at the top of my list, I wouldnt go near a farang"

me thinks that if you are after a foreginer, why not go for a white foreigner rather then a Korean or japanese who ultimately has more similar features as a thai

Serious discussion only please ;)

Offtopic but I recall I was walking down sukhumvit road and there was a attractive girl standing there, I assume it was a hooker or similar, and two fairly handsome young indian looking men in front of went to talk to her

and she yelled "dont talk to me, I dont do chocolates", the guys just laughed and walked off, I felt sorry for them actually

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"a Korean or japanese who ultimately has more similar features as a thai"

I guess they all look the same to you, but perhaps not to a Thai.

I think that there is a perception, perhaps well founded, that Japanese and Korean men can be much more patriarchal and chauvanist than Thai men.

"a Korean or japanese who ultimately has more similar features as a thai"

I guess they all look the same to you, but perhaps not to a Thai.

I think that there is a perception, perhaps well founded, that Japanese and Korean men can be much more patriarchal and chauvanist than Thai men.

That comment was referring to more similarities of a Korean person to a this compared to a Caucasian to a thai

Talking of which - I really kinda, well, you know, like this video. Shame about the song, though. I have watched the video a few hundred times on mute.

Well thanks for that. I'm ashamed to say that I could not take my eyes off the green shorts.

• Like 2

Talking of which - I really kinda, well, you know, like this video. Shame about the song, though. I have watched the video a few hundred times on mute.

all I see is 5 rainbow mini skirts bopping up and down!

was there music? and people in it? :)

Edited by hellohello123

One suspects most thai young ladies would rather shack up with with a young Korean man than an old fat farang or a Japanese gentleman as the Japanese men usually hand over more money to their teeraks than their equivalent western counterparts

Further TV's finest Thai cultural experts will tell you Koreans and Japanese are not classed as farang, the white westerners want to keep that "title" for themselves

• Like 2

One suspects most thai young ladies would rather shack up with with a young Korean man than an old fat farang or a Japanese gentleman as the Japanese men usually hand over more money to their teeraks than their equivalent western counterparts

Further TV's finest Thai cultural experts will tell you Koreans and Japanese are not classed as farang, the white westerners want to keep that "title" for themselves

Depends on which side of the yellow line the lady likes to stand on. biggrin.png

I think a lot of Thais are descendants of the japanese ,during the second world war when the jap soldiers where in Thailand thai woman where kept as sex slaves for their troops.

I don't think that is true. But you can provide a link if you can find one. Mostly the so called comfort women were from Korea. I believe the Thai women worked in bar/brothels and got paid.

You also might want to investigate the fact that an equivalent amount of American men were in Thailand and compare the number of marriages. I believe there is only one case of a Japanese man marrying a Thai woman and thousands of American/Thai marriages.

I think a lot of Thais are descendants of the japanese ,during the second world war when the jap soldiers where in Thailand thai woman where kept as sex slaves for their troops.

I don't think that is true. But you can provide a link if you can find one. Mostly the so called comfort women were from Korea. I believe the Thai women worked in bar/brothels and got paid.

You also might want to investigate the fact that an equivalent amount of American men were in Thailand and compare the number of marriages. I believe there is only one case of a Japanese man marrying a Thai woman and thousands of American/Thai marriages.

Your surely not suggesting the Japanese men were that honourable during the war that they would wait and not have sex before they were married to a Thai lady ?

Your so called premise is completely flawed

There was plenty of slavery and war crimes committed in Thailand during the war, but it was generally directed towards foreigners that were captured and brought to Thailand. Thais got treated fairly well by the Japanese, which is why Thailand is unique in the region in not having any anti Japanese sentiment left over from the war. Completely different than China and Korea, where protests and even riots still occur over Japanese WWII atrocities

[/quoteSo can you provide us with a link proving me wrong and proving you right?

Do people who lump Japanese and Koreans together understand that Koreans hate Japanese?

Hate them so much they won't stay in the same condo building?

You couldnt be sooooo wrong!

sure some old people who have expereinced the war may feel some ill feeling, but refusing to stay in teh same hotel?!!?!?!? not a chance in hell

look at japan, Kpop, k drama all a big thing,

look at korea, , so many japanese singers, and actors everywhere,

dont forget fashion, the koreans love japanese fashion,

also, most importantly, how many young koreans that have learnt japanese, absolutely heaps of them!

Do people who lump Japanese and Koreans together understand that Koreans hate Japanese?

sure some old people who have expereinced the war may feel some ill feeling, but refusing to stay in teh same hotel?!!?!?!? not a chance in hell

also, most importantly, how many young koreans that have learnt japanese, absolutely heaps of them!

Well, all my Korean pals in CM think that way, most of them in their 30s.

They won't even use mobile phone apps that are Japanese based.

Well, all my Korean pals in CM think that way, most of them in their 30s.

They won't even use mobile phone apps that are Japanese based.

your friends are the minority of the minority,

or maybe they have some alternative agenda

According to Stickman,Thai ladies veiw them as better catches than falangs,as they look similar,but are more gentle and generous,than falang's or Thai men,and the jap's are very polite too,falang's i have found are often classed as beer swilling barbarian's in Asia,something i must admit,i have done nothing personally to dispel this idea.

• Like 1

According to Stickman,Thai ladies veiw them as better catches than falangs,as they look similar,but are more gentle and generous,than falang's or Thai men,and the jap's are very polite too,falang's i have found are often classed as beer swilling barbarian's in Asia,something i must admit,i have done nothing personally to dispel this idea.

Japanese yes, Koreans no.

@HelloHello

When did you last speak to any Koreans?

Just wondering, I was chatting with some Wednesday, we did coffee and lunch.

Do you know the Korean word for "hello", 5 syllables greeting (last syllable "yo") not in the dictionary, ask your Korean pals if you don't know.

Just so we know you ain't talking BS.

Do you know the Korean word for "hello", 5 syllables greeting (last syllable "yo") not in the dictionary, ask your Korean pals if you don't know.

you are joking right?

Japanese yes, Koreans no.

@HelloHello

When did you last speak to any Koreans?

Just wondering, I was chatting with some Wednesday, we did coffee and lunch.

If you read my post you would see i said according to stickman,i have met a Korean once ,who pointed to a dog,and told me "good for eat".he later purchased a live chicken[we were trekking up north} and lashed it to his back pack,so tight the thing expired,later when we went to the river to wash i saw him and a jap guy,naked in the river scrubbing each other with soap,i left at that stage,as too me it looked like thing's may get"in hand',so to speak,i had to laugh when next morning the korean chap had bad gut's from his chicken meal,that's it i am afraid,i do not have your vast cultural knowledge,sorry,but as you see i was referring to a third source,do hope you enjoyed your coffee and lunch.