Visa Report: Non-Immigrant O (Family) Visa, Savannakhet

I need to make this trip myself in Aug.. was this your first non-o? I am currently on a Non-o that I renewed in Thailand last year ... is it a problem to leave and apply for a new one in Savannakhet.. anyone out there doing this every year?? sorry for all the Q?? but I have not had to leave the country since 2009 had non-b and for a few years then moved over to Non-o based on marriage ... but had my lawer do it all ... dont want to pay through the nose any more and can't stand dealing with the local immigration department they had me running back and forward like a blue ass fly the last time ... so Savannakhet sounds like a easy go... is it only one night in laos? can you just book a return "premiere" VIP bus from Mochit or

S.J.C

I did return today from Savannakhet. Did get a Non-Imm-O (Marriage) multi 1 year without any questions, easy and relaxed at all.

Didn't leave Thailand since 3 years, did make extensions in the past.

I did arrive 26.06 little bit late at 10:10 am at Savannakhet Consulate, no other customer only me showed up because of the late time. The consulate stuff checked my documents within 3 minutes, I was asked to pay 5,000 THB and they told me to come back the same day at 03:30 pm which was a surprise because I expected next day. I did receive my passport and visa at 03:30 pm and everything is fine.

AirAsia and the bus service from Nakon Phanom to Mukdahan worked fine.

Thanks to all for the info supported in this forum.

Hi, all.

Just a few questions;

1. What time do you have to be there to submit documents for the visa?

2. Any recomendations of GOOD quality hotels close to the consulate?

3. Can I easily get a ride directly from the border to the consulate, and what price should I expect to pay?

4. Can I get by on only carrying THB?

Thanks for the help.

I just did the same run but took the flights up instead so I will add a few things to your excellent post.

Flew up on Nok Air Sunday, Don Mueang to Nakhon Phanom then bus from there to Mukdahan border crossing, so 1 hour flight 1 1/2 hour bus ride and you are at the border. Both Nok Air and Air Asia have flights and Air Asia was actually cheaper with better time schedules but I never have any luck trying to buy an Air Asia ticket online, worst airline website I have ever encountered tried 3 times and gave up went with Nok Air, round trip was USD $133.00.

I also stayed at the Daosavannah Resort and I agree descent rooms, overpriced, bad food, poor internet, very dirty pool etc. etc., but I did find a tuk tuk that would take me for 40 Bahht to the consulate on Monday morning. Really nice guy so I ended up working a deal with him for the whole day to drive me around and show me some sites, shopping etc., I basically had him for the whole day and then out to a nice restaurant that night so I just gave 1000 baht for being a good honest driver.

My original plan was to stay 3 nights, pick up my visa on Tuesday cross back over the border on Wednesday morning to catch the bus back for the flight home. But then I discovered that it was going to be a real pain to try and cross the border that morning and make it into Makdahan where the bus picks you up so I changed my plans. The Nok Air bus service going back picks you up at the Ploy Palace Hotel in Makdahan, so after I picked my visa up on Tuesday I crossed back over and spent the night there, very nice hotel for around 1200 baht per night. Same driver picked me up went to the embassy then to the border crossing for 200 baht, 50 baht to take the big border bus across the bridge. The border bus is packed especially the 2:30 PM bus after everyone has picked up there visas and they do not know how to queue so that can be an adventure. It also goes to downtown Mukdahan if you want or you can just get off on the other side.

So stayed in Mukdahan Tuesday night took the small bus with very nice seating and AC back to Nakhon Phanom and then fly back to BKK. So if you are not into spending a couple of nights on a bus like me flying up and back is a better option. No problems with getting the Type O one year multiple entry visa based on marriage, still the same requirements as many others have posted. The new consulate is finished and very nice but not open yet, so it will be interesting to see if the requirements for the visa will change once they move to the new location.

Good luck if your planning a trip and thank you to all the previous posters who made it much easier for my first time trip!

Edited by bkkfaranguy

Hi, all.

Just a few questions;

1. What time do you have to be there to submit documents for the visa?

2. Any recomendations of GOOD quality hotels close to the consulate?

3. Can I easily get a ride directly from the border to the consulate, and what price should I expect to pay?

4. Can I get by on only carrying THB?

Thanks for the help.

Not really sure if the consulate open before 09:00 am, but closing time to submit your documents is 11:00 am (Mo-Fr, don't forget to check if there is a public holiday).

Good quality hotels in Savannakhet close to the consulate are rare and difficult to find. I stayed at the New Saen Sabai for 1,000 THB, a short 6 min walk from the consulate. This relative new hotel is not bad, the rooms are good but the breakfast/ wifi/ hotel staff was far away from good, not a problem at all because of staying only 1 night.

I did take a bus from Mukdahan Bus Station to Savannakhet Bus Station for 50 Baht. At the Laos Boarder you have to buy a Laos Visa for 1,500 THB, they also accept USD (not sure, 40 USD). Thai nationals get free entry. At Savannakhet Bus Station are TukTuks available, the price is around 40/50 THB to the consulate. The Laos people are very friendly and I enjoyed the short time there.

In Savannakhet you can pay with THB or USD and because of that there is no need to exchange in KIP.

Edited by futurespeter

I need to make this trip myself in Aug.. was this your first non-o? I am currently on a Non-o that I renewed in Thailand last year ... is it a problem to leave and apply for a new one in Savannakhet.. anyone out there doing this every year?? sorry for all the Q?? but I have not had to leave the country since 2009 had non-b and for a few years then moved over to Non-o based on marriage ... but had my lawer do it all ... dont want to pay through the nose any more and can't stand dealing with the local immigration department they had me running back and forward like a blue ass fly the last time ... so Savannakhet sounds like a easy go... is it only one night in laos? can you just book a return "premiere" VIP bus from Mochit or

S.J.C

You can book seats with 'Thai Ticket Major' for the round trip Mo Chit to Mukdahan City. either online or visiting one of their branches.

Today's schedule

BKK - Mukdahan Mukdahan(city) Transport Co.Ltd. VIP (ม.4ก) 829.00 20:30 Remaining 3 Seats 21:30 Remaining 9 Seats \r\n BKK - That Phanom - Ban klang Mukdahan(city) Transport Co.Ltd. VIP (ม.4ก) 790.00 21:35 Remaining 19 Seats BKK - Mukdahan Mukdahan(city) Transport Co.Ltd. First Class (ม.4ข) 533.00 19:30 Remaining 36 Seats 20:05 Remaining 26 Seats \r\n BKK - Goot Chum - That Phanom Mukdahan(city) Transport Co.Ltd. First Class (ม.4ข) 508.00 20:40 Remaining 40 Seats BKK - Mukdahan Mukdahan(city) Sahaphanroied Co.Ltd. First Class 622.00 20:30 Remaining 16 Seats

I can’t get the Thai Consulate in Savannakhet website to work. Can anyone confirm if they are open on July 8, 9, 10, 11? (I know 11th is Asalha Bucha, just wanted to confirm).

Also, can anyone confirm if the following travel plan makes sense time-wise?:

Day 1:

Air Asia – DMK to Nakhon Phanom (15:10-16:20)

Van/bus - Nakhon Phanom to Mukdahan

Stay one night in Mukdahan

Day 2:

Cross border, Submit visa application, Stay one night in Savannaket

Day 3:

Pick up visa

Van/bus Mukdahan to Ubon

Air Asia – Ubon to DMK (19:25-20:30)

***Will I have enough time to get from Mukdahan to my 19:25 flight in Ubon after I pick up my visa?

Thanks a lot.

I can’t get the Thai Consulate in Savannakhet website to work. Can anyone confirm if they are open on July 8, 9, 10, 11? (I know 11th is Asalha Bucha, just wanted to confirm).

Day 1:

Day 2:

Day 3:

Pick up visa

Van/bus Mukdahan to Ubon

***Will I have enough time to get from Mukdahan to my 19:25 flight in Ubon after I pick up my visa?

Thanks a lot.

They will only be closed on the 11th of July.

You could make it to Savannakhet on day one. The bridge does not close until 10. That would eliminate the early morning dash across the bridge on day 2.

You will have plenty of time to make you flight to Ubon by van or bus. You will arrive at the main bus station and can get a meter taxi to take you to the airport. About 70 or 80 baht.

S.J.C

You can book seats with 'Thai Ticket Major' for the round trip Mo Chit to Mukdahan City. either online or visiting one of their branches.

Today's schedule

BKK - Mukdahan Mukdahan(city) Transport Co.Ltd. VIP (ม.4ก) 829.00 20:30 Remaining 3 Seats 21:30 Remaining 9 Seats \r\n BKK - That Phanom - Ban klang Mukdahan(city) Transport Co.Ltd. VIP (ม.4ก) 790.00 21:35 Remaining 19 Seats BKK - Mukdahan Mukdahan(city) Transport Co.Ltd. First Class (ม.4ข) 533.00 19:30 Remaining 36 Seats 20:05 Remaining 26 Seats \r\n BKK - Goot Chum - That Phanom Mukdahan(city) Transport Co.Ltd. First Class (ม.4ข) 508.00 20:40 Remaining 40 Seats BKK - Mukdahan Mukdahan(city) Sahaphanroied Co.Ltd. First Class 622.00 20:30 Remaining 16 Seats

Thx that is a great site I never knew about ... helps a lot.. thank you everyone... will report when I get back to try and pay it forward .. ... what is the story with the new consulate office people keep saying is ready? ... is there an official move in date posted anywhere..

S.J.C

Day 1:

Day 2:

Day 3:

Pick up visa

Van/bus Mukdahan to Ubon

Thanks a lot.

They will only be closed on the 11th of July.

You could make it to Savannakhet on day one. The bridge does not close until 10. That would eliminate the early morning dash across the bridge on day 2.

You will have plenty of time to make you flight to Ubon by van or bus. You will arrive at the main bus station and can get a meter taxi to take you to the airport. About 70 or 80 baht.

Thx Joe.

Hi all,

A quick question not relating to Non-immigrant O but to the Savannakhet border crossing...

I'm on a 30 day visa on arrival or visa exemption whatever it is.. That expires on the 10th July however I need to stay till at least the 15th July. I will be in Isaan next week and could go to Savannakhet and possibly cross over and come back in to which I believe would give me another 14 days (Australian passport).

Does anyone know of any problems with this plan Can I go over and come back within the day??

The other option is to get an extension here in Jomtien before I go.. However, I'm not sure if this would give me 7 days from the tme I do it or from the time my visa expires on the 10th..

Any advice greatly appreciated.

You can apply for the 7 day extension pay the 1900 baht fee and be given 7 days to leave. It will start from the July 10th.

You could make a crossing to Savannakhet or at one of the other crossings in Isaan and get a 15 day exempt entry.

Booked my flights (to Nakhon Phanom + AirAsia transfer to Mukdahan; Ubon back to BKK)...

Does anyone have experience with the AirAisa ground transport from Nakhon Phanom to Mukdahan? Where does one get transport from Mukdahan over into Savannakhet?

Also, can anyone rec a decent hotel in Savannakhet besides Daosavahn and Savan Vegas?

Thanks!

Booked my flights (to Nakhon Phanom + AirAsia transfer to Mukdahan; Ubon back to BKK)...

Does anyone have experience with the AirAisa ground transport from Nakhon Phanom to Mukdahan? Where does one get transport from Mukdahan over into Savannakhet?

Also, can anyone rec a decent hotel in Savannakhet besides Daosavahn and Savan Vegas?

Thanks!

They should let you off the at the bridge on the way to Mukdahan. And then you can get the bus at the bridge to Savannakhet .

If not you can get the bus to Savannakhet at the bus station in Mukdahan.

Sorry I cannot give you any info on hotels.

Thanks!

I stayed at Savanbanhao Hotel email: [email protected] tel: (856 - 41) 212202 fax: (856 - 41) 212944.

It's an Asian style hotel and Tour Company. They do get booked up so it's best to reserve. Not at all fancy but OK. Plenty of westerners stay there.

The Thai Consulate, and good restaurants are all within walking distance. The Thai consulate is about a 20-40 minute leisurely walk away. There is/was a lively Karaoke across the street. You can rent a bicycle from the guest house across the street and one block to the right.

There are reviews on tripadvisor.com

Edited by 96tehtarp

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thanks!

They should let you off the at the bridge on the way to Mukdahan. And then you can get the bus at the bridge to Savannakhet .

If not you can get the bus to Savannakhet at the bus station in Mukdahan.

Sorry I cannot give you any info on hotels.

Thanks Joe.

Thanks!

I stayed at Savanbanhao Hotel email: [email protected] tel: (856 - 41) 212202 fax: (856 - 41) 212944.

It's an Asian style hotel and Tour Company. They do get booked up so it's best to reserve. Not at all fancy but OK. Plenty of westerners stay there.

The Thai Consulate, and good restaurants are all within walking distance. The Thai consulate is about a 20-40 minute leisurely walk away. There is/was a lively Karaoke across the street. You can rent a bicycle from the guest house across the street and one block to the right.

There are reviews on tripadvisor.com

Excellent, thx for the info. Just booked it.

Stupid question: do I need to change Baht or will hotels, restaurants, tuk tuks etc accept Baht in Savannakhet?

Thanks again.

The marriage certificate that I need to show is Kor Ro 22, right?

The marriage certificate is a Kor Ror 3. A Kor Ror 22 is the marriage registry for a marriage done outside to Thailand.

The marriage certificate is a Kor Ror 3. A Kor Ror 22 is the marriage registry for a marriage done outside to Thailand.

We only got married outside Thailand, so we must have only used KR22 for my previous non-O extensions, right? (I'm unfamiliar bc my school did everything for me).

Bottom line: if I go with KR22 only, will I get a non-O multiple entry?

We only got married outside Thailand, so we must have only used KR22 for my previous non-O extensions, right? (I'm unfamiliar bc my school did everything for me).

You need your non Thai marriage certificate to get a non-o. You can also submit a Kor Ror 22 with it. When you did the extension you would of needed both of them. The Kor Ror 22 only proves that your marriage has been registered.

You need your non Thai marriage certificate to get a non-o. You can also submit a Kor Ror 22 with it. When you did the extension you would of needed both of them. The Kor Ror 22 only proves that your marriage has been registered.

understood, thx.

S.J.C

Today's schedule

I doubt any of the busses listed on thai ticket major is the premiere bus as they currently all have more seats available for a trip in 3 weeks than there should be seats in the bus (OP states 24 seats in the bus while they all have >30 seats available for a trip around the 24th).

Please confirm/reject anyone.

S.J.C

Today's schedule

I doubt any of the busses listed on thai ticket major is the premiere bus as they currently all have more seats available for a trip in 3 weeks than there should be seats in the bus (OP states 24 seats in the bus while they all have >30 seats available for a trip around the 24th).

Please confirm/reject anyone.

I have a couple of things to add to this thread, which may be helpful as I have just got back from applying for my non-O visa (based on Marriage) from Savannakhet.

1. The 'VIP' bus we booked via Thai ticket major was not the originally stipulated 'super-bus' with screens in all the seats etc etc... it did cost 829 baht, was comfortable, had lots of room (seats similar to Nakhon Chai Air). It took just over 9 hours to arrive in Mukdahan after leaving Mohchit about 15 mins late.

2. There is no point getting to the border before 7 am, as the Thai side does not open until then, unless you are driving, in which case it is earlier. Also, when getting to the Laos side, the visa on arrival window didn't open until 8 am.

3. There is even less point getting to the Laos side until 8 am (on the way back) as the border did not open until 8. The first bus to take you to the Thai side of the bridge comes at 8.30 am.

4. If you have booked a flight back to Bangkok with Nok Air from Nakhon Phanom - it is a little tight in terms of timing. The bus transfer leaves from Ploy Place Hotel in Mukdahan at 9.15 am, which we made by 5 minutes and involved a late dash from the border in a tuk tuk rather than by the bus.

5. THE BEST BIT. I submitted my documents on Thursday 3rd July at approx 10 am, and received my passpoirt back at 3.30 pm the same day. I know they always used to give the passport back the following day at 2 pm, so this is a plus. We could have avoided staying in Savannakhet for a night. I am not sure if this is a permanent change though.

Hope this helps!!