Medical Certificate--problems, Problems

I am a US citizen, sent my passport and paperwork for a non-immigrant O visa request for the purpose of retirement to the Thai Embassy in Washington. They, in turn, sent me a medical certificate to filled out by a physician stating I am free of 5 diseases. I went to my HMO, a staff doctor filled it in, sent me the confirmation that I'm free of the diseases, but added a note that I have history of genital herpes, asymptomatic, and a history of cardiac murmur, asymtomatic. Now I don't what to do. Should I return the certificate to the Embassy, with the herpes and murmur noted on the bottom? I'm afraid that would deny me a visa, or worse deny me of ever going back to Thailand. Maybe I should change my visa request to that of a 60 day tourist visa, or even no visa, which I don't need anyway as US citizen for 30 days. Then, in Thailand get a new medical certificate from a doctor there who could fill it out, not adding my medical history. Follow up with a visit to a neighboring country, like Malaysia or Vietnam for the non-immigrant visa. Any advise would be appreciated.

The requirements are clear - the five listed are reason to not issue the visa - nothing else. That said I would probably do as you suggest. Obtain a tourist visa (60 day from Consulate) and as soon as you get here transfer the 800k (if you plan to use that method) and set up bank account. Then visit immigration with the required documents, medical, bank passbook, letter from bank, letter from Embassy if using pension, and apply to change visa to non immigrant at 2,000 baht and then extend stay at 1,900 baht. No need to leave country but believe you have to have 21 days or more remaining on your tourist stay when you do this.

I am a US citizen, sent my passport and paperwork for a non-immigrant O visa request for the purpose of retirement to the Thai Embassy in Washington. They, in turn, sent me a medical certificate to filled out by a physician stating I am free of 5 diseases. I went to my HMO, a staff doctor filled it in, sent me the confirmation that I'm free of the diseases, but added a note that I have history of genital herpes, asymptomatic, and a history of cardiac murmur, asymtomatic. Now I don't what to do. Should I return the certificate to the Embassy, with the herpes and murmur noted on the bottom? I'm afraid that would deny me a visa, or worse deny me of ever going back to Thailand. Maybe I should change my visa request to that of a 60 day tourist visa, or even no visa, which I don't need anyway as US citizen for 30 days. Then, in Thailand get a new medical certificate from a doctor there who could fill it out, not adding my medical history. Follow up with a visit to a neighboring country, like Malaysia or Vietnam for the non-immigrant visa. Any advise would be appreciated.

If you have time, why not try and get another certificate from another doctor in the USA ? Will make it easier than trip(s) to neighbouring Malaysia.

I think it would be suspicious sounding to ask the embassy for another certificate. What kind of brain dead (or maybe a moral majority) type of doctor would take it on himself to notate medical issues that are not asked about on the form, and basically mess things up for no good reason? Maybe he thought he was protecting Thailand from herpes. TIT is not restricted to Thailand.

Edited by Thaiquila

Just ask them for a 60 day tourist visa. Lots less hassle and clearance to get the “O” visa now. In Thailand the medical certificate will take you 2 minutes and 300 Baht or less. As long as you have 21 days remaining on the tourist visa you will have no problem changing the tourist to a non O then do the extension of stay based on retirement here.

Not all neighboring Thai Embassies are issuing Non O visas for retirement as several will instruct you to return to your home country to do so. Just fill out a new application for tourist. Much easier.

www.lawyer.th.com

Just ask them for a 60 day tourist visa. Lots less hassle and clearance to get the “O” visa now. In Thailand the medical certificate will take you 2 minutes and 300 Baht or less. As long as you have 21 days remaining on the tourist visa you will have no problem changing the tourist to a non O then do the extension of stay based on retirement here.

Not all neighboring Thai Embassies are issuing Non O visas for retirement as several will instruct you to return to your home country to do so. Just fill out a new application for tourist. Much easier.

www.lawyer.th.com

That's what I'll do--tell the Thai Embasssy in Washington, that I changed my mind and I want a tourist visa instead--then get the "O"visa in Thailand. Thanks!

www.lawyer.th.com

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but, do the remaining 21 days have to be on the original 60 day entry or could you use the 30 day extension and then apply?

If this helps:- tell the Thai embassy in the USA that the form got washed at the laundromat, and ask for another one. THEN, go to a public medical clinic and get the form filled in there. I the DOC asks you if you have a family doctor who can do it, tell him you have'nt been to a doctor in years, and the last family doctor passed away whenever, whoever, however!!! Then do what Lopburi3 said, if that avenue applies to you. GOOD LUCK! Life is short, ENJOY!!!!! :o

tell the Thai embassy in the USA that the form got washed at the laundromat, and ask for another one.... Then do what Lopburi3 said, if that avenue applies to you.
Perijon, you are confusing the issue. Painai does not need a medical certificate to do what Lopburi said, i.e. apply for a tourist visa.

---------------

Maestro

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but, do the remaining 21 days have to be on the original 60 day entry or could you use the 30 day extension and then apply?

You can apply on the 30 day extension as well.

www.lawyer.th.com

Does the OP realy mean 30 day of extension from a "60 day Tourist Visa" or does it mean only "permitted to stay 30 days" (like same most western countries get)? IMHO for me not same.

Can you realy convert "permittet do stay" also?

You can apply on the 30 day extension as well.

www.lawyer.th.com

Does the OP realy mean 30 day of extension from a "60 day Tourist Visa" or does it mean only "permitted to stay 30 days" (like same most western countries get)? IMHO for me not same.

The OP states

That's what I'll do--tell the Thai Embassy in Washington, that I changed my mind and I want a tourist visa instead--then get the "O"visa in Thailand. Thanks!

This sounds to me that he is going to ask for a 60 day tourist visa. Otherwise why would he even contact the Embassy, at this point?

a 30 day transit visa yes but not a 30 day tourist visa exemption stamp

www.lawyer.th.com