Supermarkets and pharmacies in Jomtien

gkp

Just a quick one

Staying in view talay 2 for the 1st time and was just wondering about the food shopping near by ?

Will I get by or will it mean busing it in to Pattaya for my weekly shop ?

Foodmart just south of you past Thepprasit is acceptable for some grocery items and horribly overpriced for others. You can buy produce at Rompho market (Jomtien 2nd at Soi 5) though in truth not always cheaper than the better markets like Friendship and the food sits in the heat, tending to go off quicker. I think if you cook a lot you will need to visit multiple places like Friendship, Central, Villa, and Foodland in Pattaya.

I would say AVOID pharmacies in Jomtien. Generally overpriced sometimes shockingly so, and the small places often don't store meds properly anyway. Suggest Fascino and P and F pharmacy in Pattaya (multiple locations).

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Do you really call Foodmart as a Supermarket?

I would say; Way overpriced. Bad Quality of Meat. Bad Assortment. Last but not least; Bad Logistic. They should rename their "Supermarket" into Temporarily Not Available Market"

Frankly, it must be the worst "Supermarket" within the province Chonburi.

Edited by alocacoc

It's pretty clear the OP is going to be using baht buses.

Not "pretty clear" to me, he mentioned bussing it into Pattaya. I suppose motorbike taxi's, taxi's or renting a scooter, car or pickup wouldn't be an option then.

I drive a scooter but I refuse to drive it into Pattaya because of all of the conjestion and crazy drivers that abound there. Because of this I bus to Pattaya also, sometimes taking a taxi. I couldn't imagine limiting myself to getting around based on a baht bus only.

It does all depend on what sort of shopping/home cooking you do but many Jomtien residents seem to manage perfectly well shopping at 7/11s and Foodmart, and using the Rompo market for fresh food.

There is a fairly regular bahtbus from Thappraya that goes to the top of Theprasit where you are near Tesco and quite near BigC.

Coming from Jomtien, I would steer the OP to these places in Pattaya rather than Tesco or Big C (not a fan):

Villa Market (2nd road)

Central Food Hall (Pattaya Beach Mall)

ESPECIALLY Friendship (Pattaya Tai past Tukcom and also a convenient SMALL one at South Pattaya Road just west of the baht bus queue to Jomtien)

It does depend on what sort of shopping you do, and the time of day, but personally I much prefer the big Tesco to any of the three smaller places you mentioned.

I think the transport is easier also from VT2 to Tesco as only one Bahtbus trip is needed in each direction, and two very short walks.

The OP can test both ideas and see which he prefers. Luckily for him at VT2 in Jomtien he has a lot of practical options via public transport.

Wait a few months for Foodland to open just round the corner on Thepassit and soi 17.

Finally a real supermarket here.

Wait a few years

You not keeping up with the current news, eh? Drive by soi 17 and tell me what you see.

Edited by BugJackBaron
  • Like 1

You will be close to Theppasit, at the other end is large Tesco's, distance 3Km.

There are Baht Buses that run down Theppasit but very infrequent, but then Pattaya's appalling Baht Bus service is covered in other threads.

PS there are taxi's normally pick ups waiting outside Tesco's which are very convenient if you have a very big shop, I think it may be around 100B to VT2.

Edited by Basil B

Wait a few months for Foodland to open just round the corner on Thepassit and soi 17.

Wait a few years

You not keeping up with the current news, eh? Drive by soi 17 and tell me what you see.

Three days ago I saw an empty plot and a sign. Has something changed since then?

Villa Market is the best for American food. Johnsonville Brats and Italian Sausage are incredible. I have bought these sausages from them many times.. Villa has American beef for $45 per pound. They have an excellent selection,. Foodland is very good. $15 for a pint of raspberries. When/if Foodland opens in Jomtien Food Mart will die a slow and agonizing death. I shop at Food Mart twice a week And have for a long time. Most times it is better than going to Pattaya.

Thanks for the replies.

Does anyone have any info on food land opening in Jomtien ?

I see Central Food hall do free deliverys when you spend over 1500 Baht , anyone used this ?

I would say AVOID pharmacies in Jomtien. Generally overpriced sometimes shockingly so, and the small places often don't store meds properly anyway. Suggest Fascino and P and F pharmacy in Pattaya (multiple locations).

I STRONGLY disagree!!! I go to the small Pharmacy next to Kiss restaurant in the Rompho Market. Best prices ANYWHERE... i.e. Anticil 7 baht - 1 0 baht everywhere else I checked. My blood pressure medicine 145 baht - everywhere else 450 baht. Antibiotics (Amoxicillian 850 mg) 80 baht - 350 to 500 baht elsewhere.

I was so shocked by the Antibiotic price that I checked with one of the other pharmacists to make sure that the lady hadn't mischarged me too little. It was correct.

Wait a few years

[/quote

I drove by this morning and there is no hint of construction activity. Remember Tukcom on Pattaya Klang, we are still waiting.

Edited by ThaiBob

I STRONGLY disagree!!! I go to the small Pharmacy next to Kiss restaurant in the Rompho Market. Best prices ANYWHERE... i.e. Anticil 7 baht - 1 0 baht everywhere else I checked. My blood pressure medicine 145 baht - everywhere else 450 baht. Antibiotics (Amoxicillian 850 mg) 80 baht - 350 to 500 baht elsewhere.

I was so shocked by the Antibiotic price that I checked with one of the other pharmacists to make sure that the lady hadn't mischarged me too little. It was correct.

Any name for the Pharmacy?

Interesting. I'll have a look. However, I am skeptical. I'd be curious what is the name brand of your BP med. I take a BP med that is offered in both imported brand name and also generic brand name. Both choices are widely available and of course the imported non-generic is a lot more expensive. I tried the local generic and believe it or not, I noticed a negative difference so I pay for the non-generic. If I saw the non-generic sold anywhere for a small percentage the typical prices, I would suspect it is a fake. Also I am wondering if you just found a place that sells a generic of your med ... in which case that price differential would be typical.

Wait a few years

[/quote

I drove by this morning and there is no hint of construction activity. Remember Tukcom on Pattaya Klang, we are still waiting.

If Bangkok is any indication we won't wait long. When Foodland announces a new location there, it generally gets built and opens in a few months.

There is a tractor and work crew doing something there opposite Soi 17.

Far to left of the Foodland sign.

Possibly an adjacent property. Not sure as I only took a quick glance.

That road is bad. Will there be a stoplight here I wonder?