Oil company accused of illegally exploring oil in Thai forest reserve

webfact

Oil company accused of illegally exploring oil in forest reserve

6-26-2014-10-19-33-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- An oil exploration and drilling company was on Thursday accused of forest encroachment for allegedly undertaking oil drilling operations without a licence.

The accusation lodged by Mr Chatchai Narawat, forest protection chief of Petchabun, with Wichien Buri district police against Eco Orient Resources (Thailand) Limited after a group of forestry, police, provincial and Internal Security Operations Command officials made an inspection trip to the oil exploration site in Tambon Bo Rung, Wichien Buri district.

The authorities did not meet with any officials of the company who were absent at the time of their visit. So, they used a GPS device to check the location of the oil exploration operations on the map and found it was in the forest area.

Later on however, the company’s manager, Mr Navin Pantham, and a legal advisor, presented documents detailing the company’s valuables at the site. He said that the company earlier enquire eight agencies concerned for confirmation about the land plot to operate on that it did not sit in forest land.

Mr Navin further said that when it was confirmed there was no problem about the land plot in question the company started oil exploration.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/oil-company-accused-illegally-exploring-oil-forest-reserve/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-06-27

• Like 1

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would the police accuse this Thai oil company of poaching forest land if they had documents from eight agencies showing it was not forest land. Which came first the documents or the drilling?

maybe the actual drilling place was further away and in the forest reserve contrary to the documents.

From the article, there could be some big names come to light here....talking PTT and Mineral Fuels Dept....

They're obviously believed to be encroaching on forest land...

Be interesting to see if we hear any more.....

• Like 1

I didn't know that Thailand have oil reserves in an inland wells, off shores yes, inland wells?

new on to me? are there any other oil well in the vicinity of that area?

PTT have been pumping crude oil from an inland oil field near Pitsanuloke for >20 years.

• Like 1

I didn't know that Thailand have oil reserves in an inland wells, off shores yes, inland wells?

Go to Fang on the way to Chiang Rai plenty of oil wells.

• Like 1

If the plot is that close to a national park that they checked with 8 government agencies they must have guessed that this action would happen some time. Interesting that no-one was home when the visit happened, but the manger managed to turn up with all the paperwork not too long after.

The photo is of a producing well and it would not require constant attendance.

If the plot is that close to a national park that they checked with 8 government agencies they must have guessed that this action would happen some time. Interesting that no-one was home when the visit happened, but the manger managed to turn up with all the paperwork not too long after.

Yes and we all know the value that can be put on much of the paperwork produced here.

• Like 1

The defense:

Link deleted. Just remembered the forum rules on linking the paper that can't be mentioned.

Since the oil company was granted leases for exploration and production in the vicinity, the next step is to determine the exact locations of all wells and whether they are within the boundaries called forth in the leases. A handheld GPS does not offer the precision necessary for a proper location.

Next will be to identify which wells were exploratory and which were production to determine if each were in accordance with the terms of lease.

Perhaps a forensic accountant can follow the money trail to see if certain local officials were paid off and if all leases were legal to make available in the first place.

A hand held GPS doesn't tell you where the bottom of the hole is, the well head could be within the terms of the lease, the bottom of the hole may not be...:P and producing from out side the lease area

If the operating company has all the paper work from the DMF, they are in the clear as the DMF have the overall authority in Thailand, I am inclined to believe in this case is an inter governmental p*ssing match as opposed to little brown envelopes, ie the DMF gave them the leases and permission to drill and never consulted the forestry department

• Like 1

The defense:

Link deleted. Just remembered the forum rules on linking the paper that can't be mentioned.

Since the oil company was granted leases for exploration and production in the vicinity, the next step is to determine the exact locations of all wells and whether they are within the boundaries called forth in the leases. A handheld GPS does not offer the precision necessary for a proper location.

Next will be to identify which wells were exploratory and which were production to determine if each were in accordance with the terms of lease.

Perhaps a forensic accountant can follow the money trail to see if certain local officials were paid off and if all leases were legal to make available in the first place.

A hand held GPS doesn't tell you where the bottom of the hole is, the well head could be within the terms of the lease, the bottom of the hole may not be...:P and producing from out side the lease area

If the operating company has all the paper work from the DMF, they are in the clear as the DMF have the overall authority in Thailand, I am inclined to believe in this case is an inter governmental p*ssing match as opposed to little brown envelopes, ie the DMF gave them the leases and permission to drill and never consulted the forestry department

Thanks for the specifics on Thai officialdom. Since there are numerous wells in the area, they are likely tapping into the same formation, wouldn't you think?

I suppose they could drop the GPS down the hole on a long string.

;-)

The defense:

Thanks for the specifics on Thai officialdom. Since there are numerous wells in the area, they are likely tapping into the same formation, wouldn't you think?

I suppose they could drop the GPS down the hole on a long string.

;-)

Maybe maybe not, the formations in Thailand are very fragmented hence the reason so many wells are needed

• Like 1

Why would the police accuse this Thai oil company of poaching forest land if they had documents from eight agencies showing it was not forest land. Which came first the documents or the drilling?

You know how it is in Thailand.

With the right arguments you can get the documents that you are allowed to drill at Wat Po.

I think they will be accused of knowing that drilling is illegal there and bribing eight agencies.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There is a large reserve up in the North along the Burma Boarder , in a reserve, along with Gold, there are plenty of gold deposits and oil on reserves or royal estates, I checked out these area's in early two thousand, along with Newmont at Phrae, I was asked straight out for quarter of a million for a thankyou present for the government , I decieded there and then that the devil could go to bed with someone else, and yes their is Oil just out from Phitsanulok.

The defense:

Handheld GPS accurate to 4-6 mtrs close enough, unless along the boundary.

• Like 1

The defense:

Handheld GPS accurate to 4-6 mtrs close enough, unless along the boundary.

I would agree that hand-held GPS is an excellent tool for determining a general location, but...

Not for a court of law, in which case, actual Geomatics (Surveying) instruments should be used, including post-processed GPS or traversing with a Total Station (modern day theodolite) from known Monuments.

Apparently, one of the infractions is encroachment and the production pad appears large enough that boundaries need to properly identified.

Obviously you have Never been to Sukhothai.... but why would you want to know..? whistling.gif

Paying off 8 agencies does not guarantee you will not be extorted by the 9th, 10th, 11th.......

The only guarantee is doing it by the book. As long as its possible to bribe, shady business practices will continue to flourish.

Edited by smileydude
  • Like 1

Paying off 8 agencies does not guarantee you will not be extorted by the 9th, 10th, 11th.......

The only guarantee is doing it by the book. As long as its possible to bribe, shady business practices will continue to flourish.

Thanks for putting a little perspective in front of those who can already issue a judgement by reading 2 lines of a long story

I would assume in this case that this is the latest move from a prosecutor who is very angry that the whole process has been played by the books (you should check how the previous claims made were all dismissed so far)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

IMO the point is rather how the documents came, who was paid for that and by whom, as when the GPS tells it's inside the forest reserve, it is, and the officials who possibly issued the documents could not have ignored that fact, so, what do you think, that it was an 'honest mistake' on their side, and that the oil company had no idea? Dream on, TiT, it's another fine example of collusion, that will lead to heavy Court cases, I hope, but I have a doubt, as the source is very cautious not to name the oil company...

You're right, but it sems the 'smelly' paperwork was only about exploration, not production, which had required very different licenses, when I'm correct...

You're right, but it sems the 'smelly' paperwork was only about exploration, not production, which had required very different licenses, when I'm correct...
Your not correct, a lease covers exploration and production, its up to operating company to decide if they take a lease to production if its economically feasible, if an operating company doesn't produce they can lose their lease Edited by Soutpeel