Oil company accused of illegally exploring oil in Thai forest reserve

webfact

A fancy tape measure!! The one constant for us Brits is that 1 Chain is 22 yards, the distance between wickets on a cricket pitch.

Another couple Singha's and I'll me smelling new-mown grass.

Once you start drilling, tying the well bore location to the surface location is a different technology again, not involving GPS or gerbils. Well, depends how you class some creatures.

Never knew that history of the "chain", but not surprised a bit. Most of what I know of Surveying is from a fascination with history. My favorite book on the subject is about the British Survey of India, "The Great Arc" by John Keys. They actually achieved superior accuracy over a century ago than modern day GPS.

Also recommend, "Surveying & Exploring in Siam" if you can find a copy (out-of-print)--another British surveyor.

Cheers

Thanks, will check those out, I do remember reading about the British Survey of India.

I believe India and the other British Commonwealth countries were surveyed by triangulation with the Chain as the unit length of measurement (and anyone please correct me). Meanwhile we established 6 feet as... go fathom.

Of course, our great-grandfathers also brought them cricket from home so there had to be a standard of measurement for the wicket.

Unfortunately we taught them too well. Or perhaps were overcome by the heat and beer.

Am expecting a slap on the wrist from the Mod Gods for getting off-topic but where else would we rattle on?

• Like 1

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just think if they had found the worlds largest reserves of oil, do not think think America would now be eating a lot of humble pie?

The biggest frustration for us Americans is why "our" oil keeps getting discovered below someone else's country.

I think the Thais would be eating a lot of pecan pie.

Oh, don't worry, Big Mac got it covered.

This sounds to be in the right area?

If you read both articles there appears to be signifcant finds in oil, that have a long life. Usually you go thru gates that say National Park, so why the use of a hand held GPS is used I am not quite sure?

If the oil field is correct from the articles, and Carnavon has great expertise in this area, the investigation sounds strange? Sounds as though someone wants more than oil?whistling.gifthumbsup.gif

'Loyz Energy Limited (Loyz Energy or the Group), a Singapore-based upstream energy group, is set to buy into its first oil-producing concessions, which are expected to be immediately cashflow-positive, for $65 million.

Under the sale-and-purchase agreement signed with Carnavon Thailand Limited, a subsidiary of an ASX-listed exploration and production company, Carnavon Petroleum Ltd, Loyz will acquire a 20 percent stake in three onshore concessions – SW1, L44/43 and L33/43 – located in Thailand’s Phetchabun Basin, which lie about 186 miles (300 kilometers) north of Bangkok. On completion, Loyz will make a payment of $33 million and the remaining consideration of $32 million will be funded through revenue generated by producing wells at the concessions.'

- See more at: http://www.rigzone.com/news/oil_gas/a/131885/Loyz_Acquires_20_Stake_in_3_Onshore_Blocks_in_Thailand_for_65M#sthash.1Segj03G.dpuf

'Equity holders in the L33/43 and L44/43 Concessions are:

• Carnarvon Petroleum - 20 percent
  • Eco Orient Energy (Operator) - 60 percent
  • Loyz Energy - 20 percent'
- See more at: http://www.rigzone.com/news/oil_gas/a/133607/Drilling_Recommences_at_L3343_L4443_Concessions_in_Thailand#sthash.QqpoQb7C.dpuf
Edited by Chris Lawrence

This was reported June 19, 2014, at 1500hrs, at a press briefing? V's the report from Thai PBS on the 26th? Sounds confusing?

'Director General of Department of Mineral Fuels reported on an investigation of the case petitioned by Lt.Col. Ratthakhet Jangjamras, Senate committee member on energy, that ECO Orient Resources (Thailand) Co., Ltd. illicitly operated oil drilling in Sor Por Gor allotted land in Phetchabun province. According to the investigation made by concern agencies, there was no such illicit operation. The commissioned company has strictly operated, and has duly paid royalties according to the legal framework.' http://www.thaigov.go.th/en/news-2/item/84033-id84033.html