Genesis' Phil Collins donates Alamo collection to Texas

webfact

Phil Collins donates Alamo collection to Texas
Manny Fernandez

SAN ANTONIO: -- Phil Collins, a member of Genesis and a staple of 1980s-era MTV, arrived at the Alamo here on Thursday carrying a sword and a dagger. Jerry Patterson, the Texas land commissioner, brought two guns, one tucked in his cowboy boot and the other in his waistband.

The meeting went well nevertheless.

The two exchanged gifts: Patterson gave Collins a lifetime admission to the Alamo, and kept his weapons concealed. Collins gave Patterson something far more valuable - the sword and the dagger he had brought with him on a private plane from New York ("The pilot left me alone," Collins said). Both were used in 1836 in the Battle of the Alamo, in which nearly 200 men died defending the mission from the Mexican army.

Collins also gave Patterson a rifle used by Davy Crockett, one of four in existence. And cannonballs that were fired in the battle. And the sword belt of William B. Travis, the fort's commander. And a Mexican officer's belt buckle. And a letter written by Stephen F. Austin, the father of Texas, ordering a cannon and reinforcements. And musket balls and powder flasks and pistols and rusty bits of iron that the defenders of the Alamo fired from their cannons after they ran out of traditional ammunition.

Full story: http://www.theage.com.au/world/phil-collins-donates-alamo-collection-to-texas-20140627-zso64.html

theage.jpg
-- The Age 2014-06-27

Everything is big in Texas. I fell into a swimming pool in dallas once and my hysterical wife screamed "don't flush it, don't flush it".

555. I recently drove across Texas. It was almost 900 miles, or almost 1,450 kms.

I visited a friend in Texas and we got in his car and drove for 40 minutes before I said "Where are we going?" He replied, "My neighbors house"cowboy.gif

In an earlier life, with an earlier wife, a group of 2 to 5 couples would get together every week or so and drive to Colorado City, Texas, to eat pie and drink milk.

A little restaurant in Colorado City had the best meringue pie you ever tasted.

The round trip was a little over 80 miles (128 kilometers for the mileage impaired).

Texans normally don't think in miles. We tend to use driving time to relate how far anything is, as Csabo just posted.

Very generous bloke. Never forget the story of a guy living near him knocking on his door and asking for a loan as he was down on his luck. Most of us would slam the door in his face. Phil says hang on a minute and comes back with a few grand, and the guy actually stuck to his word and paid him back. I'm sure not all folks do. Great to be rich but must be kinda lonely at the same time when you're not sure if people want to be with you just for your money.

• Like 1

Everything is big in Texas. I fell into a swimming pool in dallas once and my hysterical wife screamed "don't flush it, don't flush it".

555. I recently drove across Texas. It was almost 900 miles, or almost 1,450 kms.

NeverSure,

You must have taken a shortcut. Lol

David

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1