England V Ecuador

konangrit

BBC Sport:

England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson is considering giving Michael Carrick his first World Cup finals appearance.

It is understood Eriksson may switch to a 4-5-1 system for the Ecuador game, with Wayne Rooney on his own up front.

Carrick is expected to come in for Owen Hargreaves, who will move to right-back with Jamie Carragher left out.

Rio Ferdinand is still a doubt because of the groin injury which took him out of the Sweden game, so Sol Campbell stands by to replace him.

Hargreaves' likely switch to right-back means Gary Neville - who has missed two games with a calf injury - is still unable to play.

And the 4-5-1 system would mean disappointment for Peter Crouch, who has started two of England's three games so far with one goal to his name.

Ecuador will be at full strength after coach Luis Suarez rested several of his players for the 3-0 defeat at the hands of Germany.

Agustin Delgado and Carlos Tenorio, who have both scored twice in the World Cup, will start up front.

Fifa has announced that the referee will be Belgium's Frank De Bleeckere.

England (probable): Robinson; Hargreaves, Ferdinand, Terry, A Cole; Beckham, Gerrard, Carrick, Lampard, J Cole; Rooney.

Ecuador (probable): Mora; De la Cruz, Hurtado, Espinoza, Reasco; Mendez, Castillo, Valencia, Edwin Tenorio; Delgado, Carlos Tenorio.

Referee: Frank De Bleeckere (Belgium).

Bringing in a holding midfielder is the only way we have a chance of winning this World Cup. Discipline is essential. My personal choice for this role would always be Scott Parker but as he's not there it falls to Carrick whose an equally good player.

PS: I'm a Spurs fan too, just feel Parker offers a little bit more of a goal threat than Carrick, although Carrick is probably the best passer in England along with Stevie G.

My formation

Robinson

Cole & Bridge..........two attacking wing backs

Tery, Neville, Ferdinand.......... full backs

Beckam,Cole,Lampard, Gerrard........midfield

Rooney..............CF

Subs

James

Campbell

Lennon

Walcott.

My formation

Robinson

Cole & Bridge..........two attacking wing backs

Tery, Neville, Ferdinand.......... full backs

Beckam,Cole,Lampard, Gerrard........midfield

Rooney..............CF

Subs

James

Campbell

Lennon

Walcott.

No need to pick subs this World Cup, the rest of the squad are all available, although the three sub limit obviously still applies.

we really need a extra forward, what was sven gormless erricson thinking taking a unfit owen, a untried young lad, a six foot seven bean pole who is hardly world class,and leaves rooney who is not match fit to lead the line.

deloe or bent should have gone.

they have to great strikers in delgardo and tenorio.

our defence needs to be on there toes and with gary neville out at right back we are a bit weak there.

After seeing Germany and Argentina today I'm not overly worried. Argentina struggled against Mexico , who IMO are not in England's class, despite their higher fifa ranking.

But as always in football, it's results that count, and we need one today.

Carrick is a superb talent and hopefully will open up a few avenues, Carragher is no good outside his own half, gives away the ball 5 times out of ten. Those unaware of Carrick's passing ability and vision will, hopefully, be able to form their own opinion tomorrow.

I would still have chose to leave Carrick or Lennon behind though, and brought an extra forward instead.Christ knows we could do with Defoe or Bent at this stage.

:o

I was going through the English strikers in the Premiership, and there is not that many. The only one that really springs to mind that could be good enough is Carlton Cole. After all, he is Captain of the U-21's, and does seem to have the knack of scoring very reguarly in Internationals. I suppose the one thing against him, is that he doesn't very often get into the first team. But with Chelsea, thast's no disgrace. Defoe has been off song last season, in fact he rarely made Spurs first eleven. Bent.............well he is a bit hit and miss. They should have offered Alan Shearer a fortune to come out of retirement. :o

I think Crouchie could do good against Ecuador though, after all they're about the same class level.

I was going through the English strikers in the Premiership, and there is not that many. The only one that really springs to mind that could be good enough is Carlton Cole. After all, he is Captain of the U-21's, and does seem to have the knack of scoring very reguarly in Internationals. I suppose the one thing against him, is that he doesn't very often get into the first team. But with Chelsea, thast's no disgrace. Defoe has been off song last season, in fact he rarely made Spurs first eleven. Bent.............well he is a bit hit and miss. They should have offered Alan Shearer a fortune to come out of retirement. :D

I think Crouchie could do good against Ecuador though, after all they're about the same class level.

And altittude.............. :o:D

redrus

I think this game will go to extra time.2-2 after 90 minutes. I think England will win. But i hope not.

Up yer kilt! :o:D

I think this game will go to extra time.2-2 after 90 minutes. I think England will win. But i hope not.

Up yer kilt! :D:D

You two having a love affair? :D

They'll have Pink Floyd at the reception......... :D:D

redrus

*I can't get that God ###### Sash; Equador tune out of my head.... :D

Edited by redrus

Up yer kilt! :o:D

Up yer kilt! :D:D

You two having a love affair? :D

They'll have Pink Floyd at the reception......... :D:D

redrus

Eh, I resemble that remark! :D

It seems to be working, for the moment.

It begs the question as to why this formation was not made the Plan B and, practiced a lot more in those meaningless friendlies, that only became so meaningless because he just tried to give everyone a run out instead of sorting his best sides.

redrus

Is it just me or is this a hugely disappointing game after yesterday's GER-SWE and ARG-MEX?

Ecuador seems to be completely besides themselves, didn't create a single clear chance. England much better in midfield but hardly a performance to write home about so far. One half-hearted Lampart attempt on goal.

I am just glad Crouch isn't playing. I just could not stand more klumsily fumbled attempts on goal and/or Crouch either falling over or pulling someone's hair.

Rooney best player so far, whenever he gets near the ball things heat up. Terry very good too despite his fumble-and-save. What's up with Rio fouling all the time? Should've seen yellow by now.

Is it just me or is this a hugely disappointing game after yesterday's GER-SWE and ARG-MEX?

Ecuador seems to be completely besides themselves, didn't create a single clear chance. England much better in midfield but hardly a performance to write home about so far. One half-hearted Lampart attempt on goal.

I am just glad Crouch isn't playing. I just could not stand more klumsily fumbled attempts on goal and/or Crouch either falling over or pulling someone's hair.

Rooney best player so far, whenever he gets near the ball things heat up. Terry very good too despite his fumble-and-save. What's up with Rio fouling all the time? (you're watching a different game, Rio had a good half compared to Terry) Should've seen yellow by now.

Its the end result that counts. I've asked this question before, play carefully and win the world cup or, go all out and drop out now....?

I know which one I'd take.

redrus

the only reason why england hasn't scored yet is because ecuador doesn't know how to score own goals :D

What was that fella, you'll have to speak up a liccle, I didn't quite catch that............. :D:o:D

redrus