Many top officials shown the door

Lite Beer

Nine officials have been appointed advisers to the PM's Office including Tarit.

And he wasn't even investigated in relation to abuse of power. If things don't change they will stay the same. There is not hope for Thailand. IMO

• Like 1

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We are indeed living in strange times, to be witness to the excesses, maladministration and destructive practices of the previous government has been an education. If I had read a novel with this plot I would have discarded it after a few chapters as it would be unrealistic and childish, just too unbelievable to be enjoyable...

While we all have the right to express an opinion (even with some temporary restrictions) I find it very hard to understand how anyone can be pessimistic about the current situation.

Real change has been initiated, every day brings some new announcement regarding a new initiative, transfer of personnel, high placed and privileged individuals being interviewed, or statements regarding a new direction for how Thai process will be conducted.

I for one (among many like me I believe) will be happy to sit back and watch the situation develop, other countries may have expressed "concerns" at the initial change of government, but they weren't waiting months for promised payments for their rice crops, they weren't struggling to feed their families.

This countries economy could not wait any longer for a change, it was hurtling towards a precipice with little chance of stopping. The situation now is infinitely better than it was just six months ago, all power to the people now in charge with the hope that they do not take their foot off the gas. There is much more needed to be done but I am hugely optimistic that the present leadership has both the character and fortitude to see it through, goodness knows we needed it...

If only it were true! but shuffling people around to different positions, doesn't really clean up Thai politics. IMO

So in other words, if the 2015 elections are free and there is a fully elected house of representatives, as there have to be to have free, fair and democratic elections, the administrative system is ready for another round of protests.

There has not been a Free, Fair and Democratic election in the 45 years I have been here. Just because you have an election does not indicate you have a democracy. If it did, than why is the EU and USA trying to overthrow the democratically elected government of Syria?

The United States is not a democracy it is a republic, and the government does not follow the Constitution it is sworn to uphold. cowboy.gif

The whole system is top heavy more bloody Generals than foot soldiers.

Many, many years ago the other newspaper carried a ' Letter to the Editor ' from an ex-member of the British Army who pointed out that Britain and LoS had similar sized population, Britain had a volunteer army and Thailand a conscript one.

The writer said the British Army had something in the region of 120 officers of general rank and Thailand over 2,000.

I think that was me. At the same time I was querying on the 'rogue' general, (Daeng?) who was behind the men in black fiasco, eventually shot. I raised the query as to how a rogue general could be allowed to exist. Where was the chain of command? Why wasn't he stood in front of his superior to explain what he was doing.I remember, working as a staff officer in Eastern Command, and our GOC (a well-known Guards Major General) chatting in the mess that he'd had his ass kicked by the Lt-Gen in UK Land Forces for being outspoken on an issue, (I think it was military cover for the fireman's strike). So I had first hand experience that the chain of command in UK was solid. Be good to see some heavy pruning here in Thailand - instead of 'inactive posts' - go for the retired list.

Prayuth is actually putting in place people that can do the job....

and where he will find them???

There are plenty of intelligent people in every field of ministerial and beurocratical areas of governance. The fact that Yingluck herself was put in the PM's chair with absolutely zero political experience or aptitude screams out volumes that she was going to ripple that effect right through the cabinet and beyond.

Each and every last one of them was an out and out Thaksin sycophant who all failed miserably to run their ministries effectively, and had little more desire to hold their position other than to enrich themselves in offshore bank accounts at a cost of about 1 trillion baht.

The sad thing is... Thaksin will put together a new party of the same for October next year and the red shirts will vote them in for more of the same.

Reforms must single out Thaksin as an enemy of the state,and any party seen to be aligned with him to be instantly dissolved. That goes for UDD, Shin Clan or any person associated with Thalsin in the past...His influence must be completely removed. They should also issue mass murder charges against him and have him hunted down and returned to Thailand or face the international criminal court.

• Like 1

The whole system is top heavy more bloody Generals than foot soldiers.

Many, many years ago the other newspaper carried a ' Letter to the Editor ' from an ex-member of the British Army who pointed out that Britain and LoS had similar sized population, Britain had a volunteer army and Thailand a conscript one.

The writer said the British Army had something in the region of 120 officers of general rank and Thailand over 2,000.

While I agree the Thai military is over burdened, one cannot directly compare a nuclear power like Britain with Thailand. Thailand only has conventional arms and has borders on each side (and not the greatest relations with any of them, give or take Laos). It therefore stands to reason they would require a bigger armed fighting force than one that can sit back and press a button, launch drones, missiles or pick up the phone to EU partners or USA and have permanent seat on NATO. Many on nuclear countries have large armies - it is THEIR deterrent.

As much as I like the facts that incompetence , malfeasance and ineptitude appears to be under the gun simply stating that someone has been "transferred to an inactive post" has more of a partisan feel to it than a punitive one. There is too much ambiguity with this phrase and are all those transferred still on payroll.

Very soon if no legal and punitive actions are taken against these people we will have a whole Ministry of Inactive Posts at the taxpayers expense.

There are problems prosecuting sitting politicians and ministry heads - time wise they cannot be prosecuted during session (and will stall to ensure any trial starts in session) - they will also do as they always have here, bring witness after witness to say nothing of any use, but to take up court time, then appeal, then appeal the appeal, then sue for deformation, and so on. Easier to get them out of powerful positions first, out of the public eye for a few months, then quietly replaced - or prosecuted as "advisor" is not protected like "Minister / Director of..." is. It looks like they are being handled with kid gloves, but really they know the writing is on the wall - open trough time is truly over for them.

We are indeed living in strange times, to be witness to the excesses, maladministration and destructive practices of the previous government has been an education. If I had read a novel with this plot I would have discarded it after a few chapters as it would be unrealistic and childish, just too unbelievable to be enjoyable...

While we all have the right to express an opinion (even with some temporary restrictions) I find it very hard to understand how anyone can be pessimistic about the current situation.

Real change has been initiated, every day brings some new announcement regarding a new initiative, transfer of personnel, high placed and privileged individuals being interviewed, or statements regarding a new direction for how Thai process will be conducted.

I for one (among many like me I believe) will be happy to sit back and watch the situation develop, other countries may have expressed "concerns" at the initial change of government, but they weren't waiting months for promised payments for their rice crops, they weren't struggling to feed their families.

This countries economy could not wait any longer for a change, it was hurtling towards a precipice with little chance of stopping. The situation now is infinitely better than it was just six months ago, all power to the people now in charge with the hope that they do not take their foot off the gas. There is much more needed to be done but I am hugely optimistic that the present leadership has both the character and fortitude to see it through, goodness knows we needed it...

If only it were true! but shuffling people around to different positions, doesn't really clean up Thai politics. IMO

There has been enough bloodshed - being hasty will lead to more - softly, softly catch a monkey!

Shuffling limits loss of face, removes parliamentary protections, removes ability to skim or disrupt, and puts them under the microscope. Give it a few month, out of the lime light, and I would think they will suddenly realise they do not need so many Advisors to the PM, and quietly removed. All the time evidence is still being looked at, if there is reason to prosecute (i.e. viable evidence) they are right there for interviewing as needed and sans departmental protection. Story is not over - the brighter ones will realise that - Tarit will be retiring PDQ I am sure, others will think its just a gravy train reshuffle and end up disappointed at the least - sidelined and muted.

• Like 2

great move but why dont they just remove these incompetent idiots instead of re-assigning them and continuing to pay for their ineptitude. I fail to understand why they are not simply dismissed permanently, they have shown they are incapable of performing their duties fairly and without bias so why continue to supply them with a wage, make them find work for themselves and appoint people that are better qualified.

I often thought about this.

I guess it makes them loose face, having to turn up to a post where they do no work, have no lackeys, have no chance to skim and scam anymore. And, they are always handy when wanted for questioning. The people in those positions will have to watch their "p's and q's" all the time.

Must be very uncomfortable sitting under the sword of Damocles every day, waiting to see what crawls out of the woodwork.

Quite clever really.

I imagine the Inactive Post Dept resembles something like this.

post-9891-0-48360700-1404032643_thumb.jp

• Like 2

So in other words, if the 2015 elections are free and there is a fully elected house of representatives, as there have to be to have free, fair and democratic elections, the administrative system is ready for another round of protests.

There has not been a Free, Fair and Democratic election in the 45 years I have been here. Just because you have an election does not indicate you have a democracy. If it did, than why is the EU and USA trying to overthrow the democratically elected government of Syria?

The United States is not a democracy it is a republic, and the government does not follow the Constitution it is sworn to uphold. cowboy.gif

The USA and UK have been doing that since the early 50s (Iran 1954 comes to mind). That is nothing whatsoever to do with free and fair elections, and everything to do with self interests of those states. I agree an election does not mean democracy - plenty of those around the world right now, elected leaders in countries one could never aim the term "democratic" at (other than perhaps because they rammed it into the country name somewhere).

Democracy is a style of governance, republic is simply the type of leadership (as opposed to a monarchy). They are not mutually exclusive or dependant. Neither is a constitution by the way - Britain doesn't have a written constitution (it has a few thousand years of statute and precedent instead) - and some countries write new ones at the drop of a hat (like Thailand for example).

Xaminator: Why does there have to be a fully elected upper house for elections to be free and fair? Many countries do not have this (most in fact); some have no upper house at all (Unicameral - eg New Zealand), some have an extra Privy Council (appointed ex-statesmen and appointees for example - Canada). The USA neither invented democracy, nor owns the term or blueprint - there are many different flavours - all with pros and cons (just look at how easy it is for the Senate to control the Executive and disrupt the country like the start of this year in the USA!).

I think it is safer to say, perhaps: FreeER, fairer, MORE DEMOCRATIC elections.

Not that he needs my meagre support, but I'm behind Gen. Prayuth 100% I hope he roots out the corruption completely . . . although it is a herculean task.

I hope they go after that guy Jinarat who was dismissed from his position in the Commerce Ministry for a "special inquiry." The story was that he used his concurrent positions in the Commerce Ministry and as head of his family's private university in Ubon to siphon off students' scholarship money for some screwy rice purchase scheme that was found out. From what I can tell the case was simply buried while some of the students were unable to complete their education. Anybody have any info about this?

Clendenin

Herculean yes!!!! The augean stables spring to mind, Right after he finishes cutting off the many heads of the evil hydra!!!!!!!

Not that he needs my meagre support, but I'm behind Gen. Prayuth 100% I hope he roots out the corruption completely . . . although it is a herculean task.

I hope they go after that guy Jinarat who was dismissed from his position in the Commerce Ministry for a "special inquiry." The story was that he used his concurrent positions in the Commerce Ministry and as head of his family's private university in Ubon to siphon off students' scholarship money for some screwy rice purchase scheme that was found out. From what I can tell the case was simply buried while some of the students were unable to complete their education. Anybody have any info about this?

Clendenin

Herculean yes!!!! The augean stables spring to mind, Right after he finishes cutting off the many heads of the evil hydra!!!!!!!

Prayuth is also getting rid of much of The Bull in the country.

The famous inactive post has always been the laughing stock of farangs here. In the real

world if you screw up, you are told to get out and be careful of the door hitting your ass.

So if Prayuth cleans out every government official and puts them in an inactive post that

still is paid, and hires new non corrupt people, he is in effect doubling the cost of the

government. So I say give them boot. Beside that will help keep the new people in line.

Right now the punishment for wrong doing is a desk with no work and full pay.

What kind of bizarre punishment is that ???

Edited by EyesWideOpen
  • Like 2

Give me examples of family members (also married into the family) getting in power after an election. Show me any government who did that compatible to Taksin. I am talking family not friends. Because chances are that friends still have skills with family members that gets a lot less (just look at the previous government)

Hilary Clinton in the USA.

Mark Thatcher in the UK.

Cherie Blair in the UK.

George Bush Jr. in the USA.

That took about 10 seconds of thought.

Historically, around the world,

"Around 30 family members or relatives of President Ulysses S. Grant prospered financially in some way from either government appointments or employment."

"In February 2010, Sir Christopher Kelly, chairman of the Committee on Standards in Public Life, said that more than 200 MPs used Parliamentary allowances to employ their own relatives in a variety of office roles."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nepotism

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

Give me examples of family members (also married into the family) getting in power after an election. Show me any government who did that compatible to Taksin. I am talking family not friends. Because chances are that friends still have skills with family members that gets a lot less (just look at the previous government)

Mark Thatcher in the UK.

Cherie Blair in the UK.

"Around 30 family members or relatives of President Ulysses S. Grant prospered financially in some way from either government appointments or employment."

"In February 2010, Sir Christopher Kelly, chairman of the Committee on Standards in Public Life, said that more than 200 MPs used Parliamentary allowances to employ their own relatives in a variety of office roles."

John Quincy Adams (the 6th president) was the son of John Adams (the 2nd president).

Benjamin Harrison (the 23rd president) was the grandson of William Henry Harrison (the 9th president).

• Like 1

The famous inactive post has always been the laughing stock of farangs here. In the real

world if you screw up, you are told to get out and be careful of the door hitting your ass.

So if Prayuth cleans out every government official and puts them in an inactive post that

still is paid, and hires new non corrupt people, he is in effect doubling the cost of the

government. So I say give them boot. Beside that will help keep the new people in line.

Don't forget General P. wants to revive the BIG government pensions for government officials past and present.

Did I see a thread suggesting General P. for next Thai PM?

I am going to write my congressmen and senators and suggest bringing Prayuth to the US as a consultant...(once he has Thailand on the road to recovery)...to suggest ways and means to clean up the corruption and ineffective US politicians and govt...his decision making...from an armchair observer...is remarkably right on...

Mark Thatcher in the UK.

Cherie Blair in the UK.

What position in Government was Mark Thatcher given during Margret's administration? I'll give you some help - none - in fact it was suggested it would be best if he left the country during the 1987 election. He was merely an embarrassment. In fact she refused to help him with his legal problems several times - though she did pay off his outstanding hotel bill in the Middle East (several thousand pounds),m out of her own pocket! He inherited a title from Margret's father on his death and a further one when Margret was made a peer.

What government position was Cherie Blair given by Tony? Oh, let's think - none.

So, basically, you made it up!

Also, British MPs are allowed to hire anyone they like as personal secretary staff (for constituency office - NOT parliamentary offices/posts which must be civil servants) - usually it is family as it makes sense (long hours, close proximity etc). They have no governmental role at all - so still a big reach!

Edited by wolf5370
  • Like 2

What government position was Cherie Blair given by Tony? Oh, let's think - none.

Here we go, Judge for life,

"In 1999, she was appointed a Recorder (a permanent part-time judge) in the County Court and Crown Court."

Is the position of Judge not a government appointment, by a secret committee?

"In 2002, Blair purchased two flats in Bristol with the assistance, it was alleged but later denied, of Peter Foster, a convicted Australian conman and boyfriend of Blair's friend Carole Caplin, who negotiated a discount for Blair.[9] Blair publicly apologised for her embarrassing connection to Foster, stating, "I did not think it was my business to choose my friends' friends" "

You have to wonder. Do corrupt politicians deserve to have face saving demotions? if they have been corrupt they should be named and shamed. end of.

I thought she was appointed as a judge?

She was a QC (Queens Counsel) in 1995 (being a Barrister from 1976) - she became a Recorder in 1999 (permanent part time judge). Tony Blair had been PM for less than 2 years at that point. The PM has no influence over the appointment of judges at all - separation of state. There was nothing unusual with her "promotion" she had several very high profile cases, including Human Rights cases in Europe - she was a well known Barrister and QC and second in Chambers. She earned more than he did by a factor of almost ten times before he became PM than he did at his height as PM - and has done better since he stepped down. It would be a stretch to find something untoward in that - she was a career woman before, during and still is.

• Like 1

You have to wonder. Do corrupt politicians deserve to have face saving demotions? if they have been corrupt they should be named and shamed. end of.

Deserve? No of course not. However, the embers are still smouldering around the country, better to dowse with water than petroleum!

• Like 1

Here we go, Judge for life,

"In 1999, she was appointed a Recorder (a permanent part-time judge) in the County Court and Crown Court."

Is the position of Judge not a government appointment, by a secret committee?

"In 2002, Blair purchased two flats in Bristol with the assistance, it was alleged but later denied, of Peter Foster, a convicted Australian conman and boyfriend of Blair's friend Carole Caplin, who negotiated a discount for Blair.[9] Blair publicly apologised for her embarrassing connection to Foster, stating, "I did not think it was my business to choose my friends' friends" "

Already answered the first - no the executive (PM etc) has do not appoint judges, other than the Lord Chancellor (which is political really - and actually appointed by the crown but under the PMs advice). See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-departmental_public_bodies

The second was a personal scandal and not a nepotistic appointment - not clean, but not in context with the claim either. It had nothing directly to do with her husband the PM either, she had a friend of a friend who she purchased flats with the help of (allegedly - and rebuked) who was an Australian con man. It nearly cost her her career at the time.

By the way Recorder is a very low level judge - many silks (QCs) take it for the glory, but they are still considered Barristers and not judges - now if she had been appointed to Queens Bench or Supreme Court then it would have been suspicious. All judgeships are for life by the way - until they retire (at 80 I think).

Edited by wolf5370

great move but why dont they just remove these incompetent idiots instead of re-assigning them and continuing to pay for their ineptitude. I fail to understand why they are not simply dismissed permanently, they have shown they are incapable of performing their duties fairly and without bias so why continue to supply them with a wage, make them find work for themselves and appoint people that are better qualified.

I think it would require a much more complex and lengthy process, you can't just fire civil servants without due process, e.g. the Thawit case.

• Like 1

Deserve? No of course not. However, the embers are still smouldering around the country, better to dowse with water than petroleum!

the embers are still smouldering around the country

Had you said that about 2010. I would have understood that comment. But the general moved in before the fire was lit. I would also say that the politicians are running scared. I seriously doubt that the likes of Tarit or Chalerm for that matter have such a following to create any embers! I doubt that even the grass roots followers of the UDD are that interested in a confrontation with the Army.

Yes there are a few fanatics, but they have or will be neutralised. I doubt that there is any real hatred for the Military for the coup quite the opposite. the best way to show these corrupt politicians that they are out is to kick them out. Even thinking they could somehow change their attitude is wrong thinking. They should be made an example of, if only to warn future politicians that if they are corrupt they will be banned from politics. And that should be for life.

Only a few of those names are known to me, but they are regarded as courageous, capable and professional civil servants. Let's hope their appointments are indicative of a general move to strengthen the bureaucracy. The names that are welcomed include Supa Piyajitti, Chutima Bunyaprapasara, Areepong Bhoocha-oom, Somchai Sujjapongse, ML Panadda Diskul, Panu Uthairat. Colleagues who know about these matters say the bureaucracy at the senior level has been pretty moribund for several years, so let's see what happens next.

Define courageous in these politicians. Did they stand up to their own party and decry the fraud waste and graft? Just what did they do? Or did they just allow things to go by in the typical Thai status quo. Just what does any pencil pusher do that can be considered courageous?