Poll: Most Thais unconcerned over measures against coup

Lite Beer

Poll: Most Thais unconcerned over measures against coup

BANGKOK, 29 June 2014 (NNT) – A poll shows that Thai people are not concerned over the international community’s reaction to the coup d’etat in Thailand.

Conducted by the National Institute for Development Administration (NIDA) from 25-26 June 2014, the poll found that most of the respondents or 56% said they were not worried by the U.S.’ withdrawal of security and defense aid for Thailand. Around 19% of them said they were somewhat concerned by the matter.

When asked about their concerns over the EU’s measures against the coup, 51% of the respondents said they were not concerned by them and only 11% said they were very concerned.

The EU responded to the coup by freezing its signing of international agreements with Thailand and putting EU officials’ visits to the country on hold.

As for the U.S.’ downgrading of Thailand in its human rights watch list, 34% of the respondents expressed no concern over the issue while 19% said they were gravely concerned.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-06-29 footer_n.gif

Another internationally respected poll the junta asked a few people around the barracks what they think about what foreigners are saying Thailand being a global superpower so any sanctions are irrelevant to us.

The country under the Shins have gone to sh#t over the last few years under their control. Now, there's a genuine chance to actually move forward and improve this country. So you know what? If the hypocrites from overseas don't like what has happened, screw them. If things improve, why care what the idiots who don't live here say?

Moving forward, you mean moving a bit North of the country isn't it ?

Edited by JesseFrank

I think this recent poll regarding the "coup d’etat in Thailand," would have been more credible if it had been conducted by the "Thai Researchers in Community Happiness Association," rather than the "National Institute for Development Administration." You just can't make stuff like this up.

........... If the hypocrites from overseas don't like what has happened, screw them. If things improve, why care what the idiots who don't live here say?

Why care? Because those idiots are Thailand's trading partners and because Thailand has just taken a step back from integrating and participating in the global community

• Like 2

The country under the Shins have gone to sh#t over the last few years under their control. Now, there's a genuine chance to actually move forward and improve this country. So you know what? If the hypocrites from overseas don't like what has happened, screw them. If things improve, why care what the idiots who don't live here say?

And who gives a sh#t anyway about what America and the European Union thinks ?

Thailand has a massive nearby country, China, and Thailand can jump in with China. And move away from America and Europe. You notice that most of the Thais who are prominent and have money, well, they look the same as people from China ! :)

• Like 2

Thailand has a massive nearby country, China, and Thailand can jump in with China. And move away from America and Europe. You notice that most of the Thais who are prominent and have money, well, they look the same as people from China ! smile.png

You mean they all have two legs and two arms or is it that they are sloe eyed and have black hair?

No, the people that you see in a Chinese take-away food shop or Chinese restaurant in England are Chinese. And there's also these same take-away shops in Australia and America. Also, Chinatown in London has lot's of Chinese people.

Now then, everywhere in the world, (including Thailand), when you see people who look the same as people in your local Chinese take-away, well, those people ARE Chinese.

You wrote 'sloe eyed' ? There was a ridiculous thread earlier, about Jeremy Clarkson and the n-word. A stack of people were on Thai Visa, and actually wrote ni__er on here. So we dare not insult the Chinese on Thai Visa, but people use offensive words for 'black' people ! Why is that ? Is it because we're scared of insulting the Thais who are actually Chinese ? After all, most of the Thais who have money and are prominent, are Chinese.

:)

Haha! Many British chaps on here might be familiar with Thailand's 'who cares what others think we know we're the best' attitude at times but my impression living in CM is that most Thais don't care what politicians think any more whether they're from Thailand, America, Europe or the Moon. They've had enough of the lot of them.

And that's one reason GP is getting an easy ride.

Edited by bigbamboo
  • Like 1

34% concerned about the Human trafficking downgrade. Says a lot about Thai and human rights. surprised it's that high.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Other polls have shown two thirds (66%) accept corruption for their gain, leaving those polls and this polls same number as having basic morals and values. One could shoot all Thais down but then a glass one third full of quality is material to work with. Perhaps the guy with the gun in charge now also knows he has a glass one third full.

i tried to talk about different aspects of the coup with a thai friend

she just told me she does not like to talk about serious things with farang,and insisted on talking about the world cup

they do self-censors2hip..so damn true

Edited by kaobang

........... If the hypocrites from overseas don't like what has happened, screw them. If things improve, why care what the idiots who don't live here say?

Why care? Because those idiots are Thailand's trading partners and because Thailand has just taken a step back from integrating and participating in the global community

Wut? You wouldn't know sarcasm if it hit you in the face, would you?

I don't think it was sarcasm, read the whole post, it is view held by many Thais. Anyway sarcasm does not normally work on forums that are participated on by people from different countries some of whose first language is not English.

Thailand has a massive nearby country, China, and Thailand can jump in with China. And move away from America and Europe. You notice that most of the Thais who are prominent and have money, well, they look the same as people from China ! :)

And that's exactly why the US in particular will watch this very closely. They won't want Thailand to get into bed with China and will soon change to support Thailand again if they think this is a possibility.

Although I fully agree with your initial comments I think you are in general being rather myopic.

Thailand has and needs economic relationships on an international basis and while this is so it is subject to the opinions of these business partners. It called playing by the rules which is a unknown concept in a country which takes a knee jerk to any form of criticism regardless of the validiy of the concerns.

i tried to talk about different aspects of the coup with a thai friend

she just told me she does not like to talk about serious things with farang,and insisted on talking about the world cup

they do self-censors2hip..so damn true

Of course she doesn't like to talk about serious things with a farang, just like Sarah Palin wouldn't fancy getting into a discussion with Paxo. biggrin.png

I find it very strange that TV members seem to get into such a lather about politics, what Thais feel and the constant blathering on about how Thailand feels it is the centre of the universe- driven by the school system .

Get a life- it does not really matter, I find it all rather refreshing-Just simple things such as the BF would not dream of listening to American rap crap , is not at all keen on American fast food rubbish ( of course never says no to 5* hotels and restaurants and thinks you always get Champagne on flights) and is very proud of his heritage and culture.

I'm off to a late lunch and seafood by the beach- members don't get your knickers in a twist- just enjoy this country with all it's perceived faults.

• Like 1

I find it very strange that TV members seem to get into such a lather about politics, what Thais feel and the constant blathering on about how Thailand feels it is the centre of the universe- driven by the school system .

Get a life- it does not really matter, I find it all rather refreshing-Just simple things such as the BF would not dream of listening to American rap crap , is not at all keen on American fast food rubbish ( of course never says no to 5* hotels and restaurants and thinks you always get Champagne on flights) and is very proud of his heritage and culture.

I'm off to a late lunch and seafood by the beach- members don't get your knickers in a twist- just enjoy this country with all it's perceived faults.

Thailand has a massive nearby country, China, and Thailand can jump in with China. And move away from America and Europe. You notice that most of the Thais who are prominent and have money, well, they look the same as people from China ! smile.png

You mean they all have two legs and two arms or is it that they are sloe eyed and have black hair?

Is it because we're scared of insulting the Thais who are actually Chinese ? After all, most of the Thais who have money and are prominent, are Chinese.

The Thais who are actually Chinese? w00t.gif

My wife's maiden name (nee) is Harawong, as was her father's, grandfathers and eons before. Does that make her Chinese? I'm seriously interested in your answer!

Edited by UbonRatch
  • Like 1