Broadband: Sophon v 3BB

KittenKong

Thought it might be interesting to do a service comparison of Sophon Cable and 3BB ADSL.

Sophon. 4mbs up/1mbs down connection is 7000B for the year which includes a discount. I get at least the promised speed in both directions.The modem (now a modem/wifi-router) is free against a 1000B deposit. I signed up in the morning and it was installed and working the same day. In 3 years it has only gone wrong 4 times (not counting power outages), and each time it was fixed within 24 hours (generally within half a day).

3BB. "Up to" 13mbs download and 1mbs upload. In practice the sync speeds are about 9mbs down and .75mbs up. Total cost 12000+B per year (no discount) including 690B for a modem/wifi-router, plus an extra small connection fee in my building for the phone line. I was not told that a cheaper router without wifi was available (I dont need their wifi and have set their modem/router to bridge mode anyway as my router is vastly superior to theirs). Signed up on Saturday, got the modem/router and access codes the following Tuesday, line was actually turned on on the Thursday and it broke down late the next day. Still waiting for someone to fix it.

So far I am not very impressed with 3BB.

• Like 1

Almost the same story here. After they became the first company to offer internet connection at my place, I had 3bb installed (called Monday and installed Tuesday) and initially had nothing but problems with apparent disconnections. Initially he ran it into the house on the phone line but since the phone line is disconnected more times that it's connected got them to come back and run their own cable in. Same story with it working for an hour and then gone. The 3rd party service guy told me it was a router problem and that 3bbs routers were rubbish. Had the router/modem changed twice with the same results. It'd work for an hour and then we'd have to call the guy again resulting in the system working for about 1% of the time. In the end I bit the bullet and bought a half decent router and have had practically uninterrupted internet for the last 2-3 months at reasonably decent speeds not at home now so can't give you the values but the speeds were good compared to what I was used to with my air-card anyway. I even went on here before and slated them for their rubbish but since got the new router have been pleased.

I've got 3bb and the service has been fine for 3 years, only down 1 or 2 times a year. 690 baht a month is good. Of course you don't get the 10mbps outside of Thailand. Even their router was OK but i've just replaced it with a more powerful one. I wouldn't change now. Previously had TOT which was crap.

I too am very unimpressed with 3BB's service - after a lightening strike blew out my router, it took 3 days for them to come and check my connection. No response from their call centre whatsoever - I had to go to an office and get all petulent. Eventually, I had to get a techie I know and pay him to come and sort things out.

So to hell with them. Their system is also slow. Want to change ISPs, but Won't touch TOT and not sure about Dtac, so considering True. I'm on the darkside in Khao Noi - anyone around here have experience of True?

.... considering True. I'm on the darkside in Khao Noi - anyone around here have experience of True?

I wanted to go with True but they wont install ADSL for me because I am on a high floor in my condo. I tried to explain to them that the internal building phone lines start on the ground floor and that they only needed to get their signal that far, but they weren't having any of it.

I've had 3BB for nearly a year now and its the most reliable service by far that I've had in Pattaya over the past 10 years. It has dropped out maybe half a dozen times for 30-60 minutes on the odd afternoon but apart from that I have never had any problems.

One of the big pluses with 3BB is that it doesn't go down every time there is a power outage (provided you have a UPS). I have found this a huge advantage out here in Lake Mabprachan where we seem to get outages almost every time there is a thunderstorm and I can continue with my various internet activities uninterrupted.

• Like 1

Sophon are up-grading condo building to a new system they told me.

Indeed. Unfortunately Sophon dont provide a simple modem for the new system and the obligatory (and cheaply-made) new router they do provide cannot be put into bridge mode, which means that it is not fully compatible for use with a better router behind it. Also on the new equipment your IP address can change every few seconds which stops many data services from working properly.

So some people with particularly complex systems may find they are no longer compatible with Sophon. The management does not seem to be interested in fixing this.

I have 3bb here at View Talay 5. It works OK. 631.30 baht/month. I get 10 to 11 up and 0.5 down regularly. Some days the signal is intermittent but when I click disconnect in Windows Seven and click connect it comes back. Overall I would rate it at 95%.

I called into the 3BB office for a second time this morning and 3BB finally did something during the afternoon and the connection returned. They didnt contact me to ask if it was working but of course they can tell if my modem has connected from their end so there is no real need to call.

I am now getting just over 10mbs up and well under 1mbs down on the more expensive package. This is not even as good as what they advertise for the cheaper package (10 + 1) so I will be going along to see about refunds during the week if it doesn't improve by then.

Somehow I suspect I will be trying someone else next year, unless Sophon get their act together by then.

3BB sucks donkey b****

Blatant price discrimination as they want a year's payment up front from foreigners. True and TOT are fine

if you have a work permit.

Farang price discrimiantion bugs Jack Baron!

Say no to 3BB!

Edited by BugJackBaron

I called into the 3BB office for a second time this morning and 3BB finally did something during the afternoon and the connection returned. They didnt contact me to ask if it was working but of course they can tell if my modem has connected from their end so there is no real need to call.

I am now getting just over 10mbs up and well under 1mbs down on the more expensive package. This is not even as good as what they advertise for the cheaper package (10 + 1) so I will be going along to see about refunds during the week if it doesn't improve by then.

Somehow I suspect I will be trying someone else next year, unless Sophon get their act together by then.

Who else is there to try. True for some bizarre reason say they can not supply a service to condos, TOT is crap, doesn't leave many choices. Stick with 3bb.

Who else is there to try. True for some bizarre reason say they can not supply a service to condos, TOT is crap, doesn't leave many choices. Stick with 3bb.

True informed me that they will service condos but only floors 2 and 3. I guess that means they need to roll out some cable.

Can you expand on why you think TOT is crap?

True informed me that they will service condos but only floors 2 and 3. I guess that means they need to roll out some cable.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, my building handles all the wiring inside the building. The ADSL service provider isn't allowed into the building to touch the cables at all. Whichever company is providing the ADSL service only needs to worry about getting it as far as the service room on the ground floor, and the wires to there from the distribution box outside are already in place.

Even so True said "no" to me because I am on a high floor. They are very stupid, but what else is new?

I'm a CAT lover all the way biggrin.png, I terminated my 3BB premier 3Mb/1Mb service a few days ago and I must say I never had any trouble with it in many years... but having 3 services was too much and one had to go. As a grandfathered contract they only gave me 3Mb download speed for nearly 1200 baht per month on premier service.

May I suggest the CAT fibre-optic service. I've had it for a month so far and it always flies... however the 4500 baht/month (35Mb/5Mb) price tag may dissuade many people. 3BB have a special for 1200 baht per month on fibre optic 30Mb/3Mb. If they have cable in your area it could be worth a try. Set up costs are quite high at 6700 baht to get started. Interestingly, apart from the half price entry level special, the more expensive packages cost more than comparable CAT packages. 3BB customer service is non-existent compared to CAT. I have personal email and phone contact with administration, and technical phone service is available 24/7 and they actually call you back with answers when they say they will.

Edited by tropo

Might be the wrong type of 'cat' cable that runs inside the building.

The building internal wires are standard twisted pair phone lines. They carry the 3BB ADSL from downstairs up to my room and I just plugged their ADSL modem into the wall phone socket.

True could easily have provided the same service via the same lines, and by all accounts they would have done so had I lived on a lower floor. But the floor should make no difference to them as they dont have to touch the internal wiring at all, as I mentioned. So from what I can see it's just a weird rule.

May I suggest the CAT fibre-optic service. I've had it for a month so far and it always flies... however the 4500 baht/month (35Mb/5Mb) price tag may dissuade many people. 3BB have a special for 1200 baht per month on fibre optic 30Mb/3Mb.

I would have fibre if I could have it. In fact I do have fibre from Sophon (which is just CAT resold). It's cheap enough and works well apart from the particular new problems I described above, which are related to the new equipment.

Other fibre/cable solutions are not possible in my building as it is Sophon-only. The only other options are ADSL.

Maybe Sophon will sort out their new equipment mess before my contract is up.

May I suggest the CAT fibre-optic service. I've had it for a month so far and it always flies... however the 4500 baht/month (35Mb/5Mb) price tag may dissuade many people. 3BB have a special for 1200 baht per month on fibre optic 30Mb/3Mb.

I would have fibre if I could have it. In fact I do have fibre from Sophon (which is just CAT resold). It's cheap enough and works well apart from the particular new problems I described above, which are related to the new equipment.

Other fibre/cable solutions are not possible in my building as it is Sophon-only. The only other options are ADSL.

Maybe Sophon will sort out their new equipment mess before my contract is up.

Yes, that's one major reason why I don't like living in condos..You are very restricted as to what internet services you can get. Where I live the different companies run the cables straight into my room from the poles outside..When I first moved to my current location CAT was not available, so I tried Sophon (several times). I even tried the 2Mb/2Mb sDSL The advantage with Sophon is that you can try it out for a short time with no contract. I bought the premier services, which weren't cheap, but they weren't worth the money they cost me.

If I'm looking for a new place, internet availability is the very first thing I look into.

Edited by tropo

I understand your point. Some condos are much worse than others in this respect.

It would be nice to be able to choose from several fibre/cable suppliers though. Perhaps this will be possible in my building at some point. It seems to be a contractual/management limitation rather than a physical one.

Edited by KittenKong

^Indeed sir, Internet carries on nicely with an outage. With UPS backup.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Uhhh...but even with a UPS, my computer and Net connection dies

during even the briefest electrical interruption.

It's because the condo building is older and is NOT electrically grounded.

And are there no convenient metal pipes in the room to which I can ground my system.

BTW...I've a had 'premier' 3BB connection for years, and have had only a few provlems

with their service. I'd considered 3BB's new fiber optic alternative, starting at only 1200 Bt/mo,

but discovered it's not currently available for condos, only homes.

However, I am now looking at other cost and provider alternatives.

Edited by LukDod

Looking at their website I see that True has some very good value fiber optic packages (they call it FTTH), going off the numbers. They do 50Mb/15Mb for 4,399 baht (excluding tax) and offer free installation (up to 100m cable), and free registration for 18 month contracts. This far exceeds what I get from CAT for nearly the same price. They also claim to be "Broadband Service Provider of the Year" for 2013. I wonder how closely their performance matches their advertised numbers??

They weren't available in my area last time I checked, which was over a year ago. They have a big interactive map in their office on Pattaya Tai where they can quickly find out if it is available in your neck of the woods.