How taxi drivers make money?

Try being a taxi driver in Singapore! I have no idea how they do it, what with around $70,000 car registration on top of the purchase of the car, then road tolls, and enforced metering which is really cheap.....add insurance and running costs.....I have no idea why they would choose it as a career.

They do it because it isn't work its only driving! Don't forget there are many lazy people in this world .

• Like 1

Hi Sandman 77,

Dont take a Taxi. to Hua-Hin , take this VIP bus.

Cheap luxury bus to Hua-Hin

Bus service between Suvarnabhumi airport and Hua Hin with a 24-seater brand-new luxury coach. The service is operated daily with 6 departure times from each location daily, Starting from 07:00 am from Hua Hin bus station and 07:30 am from Suvarnabhumi airport. Advance booking is recommended.

Coach Schedule:07:30 / 09:30 / 13:30 / 16:30 / 18:30

Meeting location:At “HuaHin” counter on Level 1 at Gate no. 8

Fare:THB 305/person

Drop-off point:1. Hua Hin Bus Station

2. Bus Stop in front of Bangkok Bank at Cha-am intersection

Terms & Conditions:

1. It is operated by RoongReaung Coach Co., Ltd (RRC). Bell only provides advance booking channel for customers.

2. All tickets are not refundable. Customers please presents the service voucher or confirmation e-mail to our staff at HuaHincounter in order to issue ticket and luggage tag before boarding.

3. RRC reserves right to allow only customer with the same booking name on board.

4. There is no pick-up service from your hotel.

5. If you miss your coach departure time, your ticket is expired.

6. The boarding will generally start 10 to 15 min

Try being a taxi driver in Singapore! I have no idea how they do it, what with around $70,000 car registration on top of the purchase of the car, then road tolls, and enforced metering which is really cheap.....add insurance and running costs.....I have no idea why they would choose it as a career.

SG taxis are heavily subsidised by the government.

I am genuinely interested.... not doing a wind up or something.

I understand the starting fare has been the same since 1992

The last hike was in 2006.

I mean BTS fare increased 5-6 times already.

You understand wrong, there was no starting fare in 1992, there were no meters fitted then.

Just about everyone of these taxis runs on LPG 10 baht per litre.

A quick look at either the drivers door or passenger door will tell you ifs its privately owned or leased.

What to look for?

If you can read Thai, you will see written whether its a private taxi or a leased one.

Often see written on the back of orange taxis, rent 3 days get the 4th day free.

My brother in law is a taxi driver in Bangkok. He clears about 17,000 a month on average. He works a standard 12 hour shift and gets about 30 fares a day. As stated, he pays 700 baht a day in rent, and an additional approximately 200 baht a day for NGV. He probably drives about 300 km in the course of a normal day. He pretty much works every day, but then if he has errands to run for himself he just does them, so it isn't as grueling as it sounds.

Of his take home money, probably about one third is from tips and the remaining two thirds is from the metered fare after subtracting expenses.

Taxi drivers actually do OK. Motorcycle taxi drivers do even better, but you need to know someone to get accepted into a queue. No one is ever going to get wealthy driving a taxi in Bangkok, but the job is a heck of alot easier than construction or factory work, and it pays the bills.

just to say what an interesting read for a change, we went on a trip one night to that "german entertainment warehouse" i was amazed that the taxi fare was less than 100 baht, and it was quite a journey. looking at the meter (set at 35 i think) it didnt move for ages. you guys probably know it, a brilliant night out with bands, a magician and great food.can someone name it please as i aim to go again on my next visit in August, when i will be a "fulltimer" wow !!

just to say what an interesting read for a change, we went on a trip one night to that "german entertainment warehouse" i was amazed that the taxi fare was less than 100 baht, and it was quite a journey. looking at the meter (set at 35 i think) it didnt move for ages. you guys probably know it, a brilliant night out with bands, a magician and great food.can someone name it please as i aim to go again on my next visit in August, when i will be a "fulltimer" wow !!

Do you mean this place,

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d1888866-Reviews-Tawandang_German_Brewery-Bangkok.html

My brother in law is a taxi driver in Bangkok. He clears about 17,000 a month on average. He works a standard 12 hour shift and gets about 30 fares a day. As stated, he pays 700 baht a day in rent, and an additional approximately 200 baht a day for NGV. He probably drives about 300 km in the course of a normal day. He pretty much works every day, but then if he has errands to run for himself he just does them, so it isn't as grueling as it sounds.

Of his take home money, probably about one third is from tips and the remaining two thirds is from the metered fare after subtracting expenses.

Taxi drivers actually do OK. Motorcycle taxi drivers do even better, but you need to know someone to get accepted into a queue. No one is ever going to get wealthy driving a taxi in Bangkok, but the job is a heck of alot easier than construction or factory work, and it pays the bills.

Finally someone answered my question.

I am just surprised one third is from the tips.

Thais don't really tip cab drivers.

thankyou rgs2001uk for the reply, yes that is the place address and phone number noted, that pork knuckle was huge, i thought it was for 2 people, but my friend had something else, so i brought some home in a "doggy" bag (very apt) and gave to some mongrel roaming the hotel grounds, he was well pleased ha ha

Thais don't normally tip, and the cabs know this. I have been "chosen" over Thais before. The drivers believe that many falangs tip.

I have one Thai friend who gives 40b if it is 41b or 42b. Other Thais will give the exact money or even wait for 3 baht change. The cabbies are not surprised by this.

They ARE surprised if a falang insists on the exact change. I always give the extra 5 or 10b.

An old trick is to get told that he has 'no change'! I hate that, so I always try to carry 20 and 50b notes plus coins. If I get a really bad guy, He will get no tip.

Some will take you via a longer route, but I know most of the routes now. I have stepped out of the cab once or twice and paid just 35b.