granite worktops

angelsephemera

black it the hardest to clean - sound intelligence thanks - i may go for the grey.

Black isn't any harder to clean than any other kind of granite. I've found granite very easy to clean and have everything from the dapple grey, black, and to a very expensive plum color. I wouldn't let that determine your decision. Maybe people who don't clean their counter-tops should avoid black, otherwise it's not an issue.

• Like 1

The OP also mentioned quartz which is a composite of granite particles, if I understand this correctly.

I'm looking for a whitish counter-top. I was only offered black granite with silver colour "flakes" (originating from India) for about 4500 per sqm. Also any local slaps are usually no longer than 2.30 m. I'm looking for 2.90 m, which is not a problem with the material from India or China.

I was told if I want something close to white, quartz would be good. The going price was between 7000-8000 per sqm. It sounds rather a lot, I thought.

• Could anyone recommend a place (around BKK) that would have either granite or quartz slabs in a white shade that are almost 3 metres long? Example see photo.
  • At what cost?

post-155923-0-82796100-1404987523_thumb.

Edited by Morakot

I can't confirm it but maybe worth a drive up to singburi or a quick phone call, there's a factory there we checked out and they told the wife they can supply bigger lengths, we were at the time looking for 2.6 mtr length and they said they could supply that but unsure how big they can go, eventually we decided to go for a granite shop closer to home,, if I remember correctly the shop in singburi was called thong hang, they supplied granite quartz and marble, but we thought the prices for the granite we eventually opted for were cheaper nearby

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Hi, just talked to the wife, she said in the quartz she saw soft white and pink,, I'll PM you their tel number

quote Morakot" Thanks Jonny, but what colours were they offering?

• Like 1

We're in the finishing stages of installing kitchen units, we're selecting a different supplier for the granite work top, granite prices around our area vary quite a bit, plain black from 2600 sq mtr to 3500, but I think we'll go for the black with gold speck prices from 3200 to 4500,, fitting charge for the worktop is similar in most suppliers in our location at around 150 baht sq mtr,,

I've just a wee issue to solve, need to get longer legs for the kitchen units to give me an extra 5cm in height before fitting the granite, the units somehow look a bit shorter than when we saw them in the showroom, other than the rubber threaded base plates I can't seem to find anything locally and with the thread diameter in mind I wouldn't trust opening the thread to the max to get this extra cm's with the weight of the granite on top

I had exactly the same problem. I resolved it by using 20mm plywood, I put small squares under the feet and a layer on top of the units with the granite on top of that. I put a wood moulding on the front of the ply edge and stained it all to the same colour as the kitchen units. Worked out quite well.

I did my kitchen in a "U" shape with grey granite worktop. Grey is the cheapest and if you stick to 600mm or less on the width it keeps the price down.

I drew up what was required myself and had a quote in Pattaya and Chonburi before my wife phoned the factory in Saraburi. Chonburi was cheaper than Pattaya but the factory was less than half of what Pattaya had quoted.

What many people fail to realise is that granite is porous and if liquid is left for any length of time it will soak in and may well stain when it dries out. Generally speaking it is easy to maintain as it retains the polish and does not scratch.

Black is the most expensive granite, but you may not get granite. When I built my house I asked for black granite on the window sills and the bathroom worktops. The builder did not use granite, I am fairly certain it is black limestone. The builder was very good to us so I did not say anything and accepted it but now it is dull and scuffed.

The source does affect the price and the quality. I used to work for Marshalls in the UK and they sourced natural stone from India,granite and slate from China and Travertine from Turkey.

Thanks Sandy, kitchen is nearly finished the guy finished heightening it yesterday and surprised we managed to get the granite guy a day early, he's just finished for the day, coming back to finish tomorrow, they heightened it a bit more than I wanted, ok height for me but I was thinking more of the height for my wife, never mind suppose she'll just have to buy some high heels to do the dishes in hehe,,, yes we had a couple trips between singburi and saraburi when we were looking around, certainly much more options, but like I say we went for the black with gold fleck from a local supplier at a good price, but some nice choice of colours and different stone from those other places

Thanks Sandy, kitchen is nearly finished the guy finished heightening it yesterday and surprised we managed to get the granite guy a day early, he's just finished for the day, coming back to finish tomorrow, they heightened it a bit more than I wanted, ok height for me but I was thinking more of the height for my wife, never mind suppose she'll just have to buy some high heels to do the dishes in hehe,,, yes we had a couple trips between singburi and saraburi when we were looking around, certainly much more options, but like I say we went for the black with gold fleck from a local supplier at a good price, but some nice choice of colours and different stone from those other places

Yes, Height is a bit of a problem for the Thais. The builder was a bit perplexed. The drawings showed all the window sills at 800mm but I asked for the kitchen window sill to be raised to 1 metre, or it would have been below the worktop. I brought my washing machine from the UK and needed the height for it to slip underneath. I bought the units myself and the only ones I could find at a reasonable price were a bit on the low side.

Good luck with the enterprise.

Edited by sandyf

Same here, windows on the plan I thought were too low for the work top, raised sills to 1.2mtr on the 3 windows we have in the kitchen

I kept my kitchen small, no Thai cooking allowed, can do that over at her sisters.

kagzus.jpg

2qu1bhu.jpg