Price of Corned Beef.

When I came to Thailand to stay eight years ago, there were tins of corned beef at Big C, Tesco, all over the place, now you have to get it in Bangkok or Pattaya. Why is this? I'll tell you why, the Monks started telling people that eating beef was bad luck, and we all know that Thais believe everything the Monks say, that is why you can only get corned beef in places where there are plenty of Farangs, and Villa Supermarkets are taking advantage of this, Capitalists that they are.

"...eating beef was bad luck,"

Would that explain why beef (bad-luck meat) is available in every local Thai market?

When I came to Thailand to stay eight years ago, there were tins of corned beef at Big C, Tesco, all over the place, now you have to get it in Bangkok or Pattaya. Why is this? I'll tell you why, the Monks started telling people that eating beef was bad luck, and we all know that Thais believe everything the Monks say, that is why you can only get corned beef in places where there are plenty of Farangs, and Villa Supermarkets are taking advantage of this, Capitalists that they are.

Would that explain why beef (bad-luck meat) is available in every local Thai market?

In Thai markets where? certainly not up country, although there is the odd one. In the markets around my village, beef is almost non existant, although the big local Sunday market does have a beef stall.

But the thing about the monks and bad luck was about eight years ago, and up here it has not recovered.

That crap in a can is not corned beef. It is floor scrapings mulched together with some sort of goop holding it together.

This is corned beef.

home-cured-corned-beef.jpg

Corned beef to some but we were raised on tinned corned beef and brown sauce, Marmite too  biggrin.png

That post is cruel.  Posting that when we cannot get it must shurely be cruel and intolerable treatment.

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE AND THE POSTER SHOULD BE BANNED.

I totally agree.... Off with his head!!..... (0hhhh.... Cannot.... Not pork!)

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

mrs.meat has had nothing but good luck since we met,she knew I loved beef so she has a 12oz sirloin steak every week.

• Like 1

In Thai markets where? certainly not up country, although there is the odd one. In the markets around my village, beef is almost non existant, although the big local Sunday market does have a beef stall.

But the thing about the monks and bad luck was about eight years ago, and up here it has not recovered.

Beef is common in markets around Chantaburi, although usually only one vendor per market as opposed to the three or four for pork.

Of the people I have discussed beef with, most were open to it. I have cooked steak for several at their request to try it. One friends wife would not try it and was given a pork steak instead. The only other refusal to eat beef is a friend who grew up on a farm and won't eat beef because she says "they have feelings, they even cry".

North of Udon a couple years ago raw beef goi was served as a treat to all the neighbors who helped unload a truckload of rice at a friend's house (although I helped carry I declined to eat). Nobody has ever said anything about bad luck to me.

Beef is common in markets around Chantaburi, although usually only one vendor per market as opposed to the three or four for pork.

Of the people I have discussed beef with, most were open to it. I have cooked steak for several at their request to try it. One friends wife would not try it and was given a pork steak instead. The only other refusal to eat beef is a friend who grew up on a farm and won't eat beef because she says "they have feelings, they even cry".

North of Udon a couple years ago raw beef goi was served as a treat to all the neighbors who helped unload a truckload of rice at a friend's house (although I helped carry I declined to eat). Nobody has ever said anything about bad luck to me.

This was about eight years ago, my GF (now my wife)told my I should not eat beef as the monks said it would bring bad luck, just after that tins of corned beef disappeared from all the supermarket shelves never to return, although you can get them in Bangkok or Pattaya.

This was about eight years ago, my GF (now my wife)told my I should not eat beef as the monks said it would bring bad luck, just after that tins of corned beef disappeared from all the supermarket shelves never to return, although you can get them in Bangkok or Pattaya.

I don't doubt that wherever you are it may have been a local phenomenon. I was just responding to your query of "in Thai markets where?". In my experience beef is common in Thai markets, it just isn't as popular as pork or chicken. What the reasoning is, I don't know. I just have not had anyone say anything about bad luck.

I don't doubt that wherever you are it may have been a local phenomenon. I was just responding to your query of "in Thai markets where?". In my experience beef is common in Thai markets, it just isn't as popular as pork or chicken. What the reasoning is, I don't know. I just have not had anyone say anything about bad luck.

No beef stalls in my local Isaan markets but that's probably simply due to a lack of local cattle.

In BKK right now so on a tinned corned beef hunt.

Bpuumike. I last bought corned beef in Bangkok four weeks ago, Foodland in Soi 5 were selling Princes corned beef at 178 Baht per tin, Villa on Soi 11 were selling the same brand at 260 Baht per tin. Hope that helps, and you know who to avoid.

Bpuumike. I last bought corned beef in Bangkok four weeks ago, Foodland in Soi 5 were selling Princes corned beef at 178 Baht per tin, Villa on Soi 11 were selling the same brand at 260 Baht per tin. Hope that helps, and you know who to avoid.

Thanks for the tip Possum
  • Like 1

I buy frozen corned beef from a local supplier here, in Buriram, for 120 baht per 250gs. It is great.

That is 480 a kilo. The cheapest prices quoted on here for cans is equal to just about 540 a kilo.

Can PM me for details.

Foodland Soi 5 today. John West (not the nostalgic Fray Bentos) but still 179B/tin so bought all 3 of them.

Easy decision on the way home; fritters urgent, sandwiches later.
  • Like 1

Foodland Soi 5 today. John West (not the nostalgic Fray Bentos) but still 179B/tin so bought all 3 of them.

try,hot mashed potato's,sliced corned beef on top,and half tin of baked beans.yumeeeeeeeeeeeee.

• Like 2

try,hot mashed potato's,sliced corned beef on top,and half tin of baked beans.yumeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Nice one.

It goes with just about anything

A "tin" of beans, a "tin" of corned beef and most likely a box of Betty Crocker instant mashed potatoes.  Sounds like a real Epicurean delight.  Hope that you don't feed it to your Avatar, he deserves better!

That's a recipe from across the pond. No Englishman would do any other than make his own mashed potatoes. Tinned corned beef needs full respect.

no its not from an Englishman its from a taffy from over the bridge,taties in a packet give us a break.

as for my beloved I wouldn't give him corned beef,he loves spam.got 2tins yesterday.

I buy frozen corned beef from a local supplier here, in Buriram, for 120 baht per 250gs. It is great.

That is 480 a kilo. The cheapest prices quoted on here for cans is equal to just about 540 a kilo.

Can PM me for details.

..... and I would have to say that it tastes almost as good as Fray Bentos.

That's a recipe from across the pond. No Englishman would do any other than make his own mashed potatoes. Tinned corned beef needs full respect.

no its not from an Englishman its from a taffy from over the bridge,taties in a packet give us a break.
as for my beloved I wouldn't give him corned beef,he loves spam.got 2tins yesterday.

Tatties from a packet! Knew it couldn't be an Englishman. Make your own, can add garlic, chopped spring onions or especially for a taste of home, chopped leeks.

Saw Foodland had 4 different flavours of Spam so bought a couple to try as fritters.

Doesn't matter so long as we enjoy.

The American s call salt beef corned beef

That is because that is what it is.  It is corned, which means treated with rock salt crystals (corns).

The British took to calling the Irish salted beef "corned beef" back in the 1600's.  The Americans took the term from the British.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Try making your own?

Not too difficult and there are plenty of recipes around via Google.

lol. it is easy to make at home. I have done a few times.

I want to make my own corned beef but I can't find Prague Powder or Pink Salt for the curing brine.  Can you give me any advice?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Try making your own?
Not too difficult and there are plenty of recipes around via Google.

lol. it is easy to make at home. I have done a few times.

I want to make my own corned beef but I can't find Prague Powder or Pink Salt for the curing brine.  Can you give me any advice?

I buy brine salt from Royal Exquisite Food Ltd.

http://www.royalgroupthailand.com/find-us.html